• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Right/Left Hand Feature in Zelda Wii?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zora Link

I hate being nice. D:
As you all know, in Twilight Princess on Wii, the entire game had to be mirrored in order for Link to be right handed so that it would suit right handed people when they are playing the game. However, some people disliked this idea, prefering the GameCube version of the game over the Wii version. So what if ZW had a feature where you could equip one item/sword/shield to Link's right hand, and another to the left hand? This way, maybe Link could even dual wield swords? Tell me what YOU think about this feature if it was put into the game.

Austin

Austin
Never mind dual wielding, I think it's important for Nintendo to put a right/left hand option so they don't screw over the entire left-handed community like they did with TP.

Never mind dual wielding, I think it's important for Nintendo to put a right/left hand option so they don't screw over the entire left-handed community like they did with TP.

Yeah. Plus, I really don't like the idea of having to deal with two separate items with two separate hands at the same time. Jabbing the nuncuk to hold up a shield is way more complicated than holding the R button while I'm dealing with a sword with my other hand. They need to stick to the control scheme they kind of had going on in TP, just make everything more accurate and percise with Wii Motion+ so we're not all limited to what we can do. Having the option of plkaying right handed or left handed is badly needed, now that we know that motion controls are going to be a huge factor.

Zelda Freak

A Freak who likes Zelda
With this, Zelda Wii would be much better than Twilight Princess. Gotta like the Left-Handed Community, Nintendo. No handism.

43ForceGems

Quid est veritas, Claudia
Link has always been left-handed, I felt righty Link on TP Wii was just a pure insult. I mean, for ZW, I don't want to be swinging around with my left hand, because I'm right-handed, obviously, but I want Link to swing with his left hand. I want to have the remote in my right hand, but Link have the sword in his left. Link must always be left-handed.

Link has always been left-handed, I felt righty Link on TP Wii was just a pure insult. I mean, for ZW, I don't want to be swinging around with my left hand, because I'm right-handed, obviously, but I want Link to swing with his left hand. I want to have the remote in my right hand, but Link have the sword in his left. Link must always be left-handed.

That would be incredibly awkward though. If the swordplay is going to be as accurate as the claim it is with WM+, then it would be horrible swinging with your right hand only to have to actions reversed on the other side of the screen because the sword is in his left hand. Sure, you could make it work with TP, but not for the huge leap Zelda Wii is going to bring as far as the true potential of WM+ is concerned.

Zelda Freak

A Freak who likes Zelda

The Wii MotionPlus would disagree and screw you over if you tried that.

Have any of you heard of a website called 2chan?

2chan is a site that often leaks things a long time before the game and most of the time they are TRUE. One of the leaked things is you will be able to switch between right or left handed.
:)

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
I'm kind of torn on this issue.

See, I felt really bad to the lefties who had to deal with the right-handed switch. I heard a lot of complaining, and I feel that it's unfair to exclude the fans from comfortable controls just because they aren't in the majority of right-handed gamers. Plenty of other games have control options, so why not Zelda? But then again, Zelda wasn't really made for Wii, so throwing in a mirrored version to swap controls was kind of a last-minute thing. They didn't have time to redo all of that. This time, though, they have had plenty of time to take controls into consideration. Wii Motion Plus only means that controls are going to be a huge part of this game. WMP makes controls more precise and fluid and comfortable... so if they're going to focus on those aspects of control, wouldn't it make sense to provide a R/L Hand option? I think so.

.....but then my inner Zelda extremist kicks in and screams, "Link should always be left handed!" Yeah, it might be difficult for the majority at first, but let's take something into consideration: Link is always just a normal boy! He doesn't start out with killer moves and knowledge of swordplay. Really, picking up a sword when he's never used one before would be awkward for him, so what's the problem with (the majority of)gamers experiencing that? It's more realistic and it doesn't stray from canon. Seeing him use his sword with his right hand hurts me inside. :<

So... I'm really indecisive.

i would hate to see link being right handed again, either make him a lefty again or give us an option.

by the way im right handed, and just dont want them to change link like that, dont mind his look but his hand, sword etc. leave it as it is

Nicole

luke is my wife
I totally agree. Yeah, most people are righties, BUT I'M NOT!!! I swear to *someone* that I will not buy that game if it's made totally for righties. Link is LEFT-HANDED. It would really p*** me off if I had to use awkward controls. *breathing* ok, I'm better now. I'd like it if they gave you a choice. Just give us the lefty and a mirror version for the righty. that would be nice...

PROUD TO BE LEFTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zelda Freak

A Freak who likes Zelda
i would hate to see link being right handed again, either make him a lefty again or give us an option.

by the way im right handed, and just dont want them to change link like that, dont mind his look but his hand, sword etc. leave it as it is

I totally agree. Yeah, most people are righties, BUT I'M NOT!!! I swear to *someone* that I will not buy that game if it's made totally for righties. Link is LEFT-HANDED. It would really p*** me off if I had to use awkward controls. *breathing* ok, I'm better now. I'd like it if they gave you a choice. Just give us the lefty and a mirror version for the righty. that would be nice...

PROUD TO BE LEFTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's not the fact that he's supposed to be lefty ALWAYS, but the fact that he's a different Link each time, so of course his sword-hand preference will change.

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
While I'm right handed, so it wouldn't really bother me, it would be nice for them to put in the option to switch. Something in the options like the Z- /L- Targeting might work. Perhaps it will be something that gets mentioned at E3 this year... who knows!

It really doesn't bother me all that much. I think it would be nice to have a R/L hand option in the game so that they're less complaints about the game. Even with an option, I would still go right handed, though. And since the Wii Motion+ is compatible with this game, I'm sure they'll put in the option.

As you all know, in Twilight Princess on Wii, the entire game had to be mirrored in order for Link to be right handed so that it would suit right handed people when they are playing the game. However, some people disliked this idea, prefering the GameCube version of the game over the Wii version. So what if ZW had a feature where you could equip one item/sword/shield to Link's right hand, and another to the left hand? This way, maybe Link could even dual wield swords? Tell me what YOU think about this feature if it was put into the game.
That... wouldn't really work. Wii Motion Plus is an add-on that attaches to the Wiimote, not the Nunchuk. Therefore only one hand-held device can have the realistic controls. The dual wielding option wouldn't work, not with the current technology, so it's impossible for it to be in Zelda Wii.

I do however fully support the idea of letting people pick between being right and left handed, I just don't want it to mirror the game. See, that's not the only way of doing it. You can just change the character model and animations, so there's no need to come up with some roundabout alternative to appease the people the mirroring bothered. ;) I am one of those people who hated TP on the Wii because it was mirrored, so yeah, I'll prefer not to have an option to mirror the game. :xd:

That would be incredibly awkward though. If the swordplay is going to be as accurate as the claim it is with WM+, then it would be horrible swinging with your right hand only to have to actions reversed on the other side of the screen because the sword is in his left hand. Sure, you could make it work with TP, but not for the huge leap Zelda Wii is going to bring as far as the true potential of WM+ is concerned.
Yeah, Vergo is right. There were already complaints about it with TP, so having the Motion Plus controls is only going to make it more significant. This option HAS to be in the game, or there are going to be serious problems.

.....but then my inner Zelda extremist kicks in and screams, "Link should always be left handed!" Yeah, it might be difficult for the majority at first, but let's take something into consideration: Link is always just a normal boy! He doesn't start out with killer moves and knowledge of swordplay. Really, picking up a sword when he's never used one before would be awkward for him, so what's the problem with (the majority of)gamers experiencing that? It's more realistic and it doesn't stray from canon. Seeing him use his sword with his right hand hurts me inside. :<
I understand how you feel. It bugs me a little too. But I think it's a necessarily change for the sake of accessibility. I don't think any game really should be difficult to control. The controls should be intuitive and graceful, so things just make sense and are easily understood and performed. Since this is a video game, I think first and foremost gameplay and controls need to be good. Storyline is secondary for me, even in story-focused games like Zelda.

Also, it technically wouldn't mess with the canon since each Link is a different Link. If it were a previous Link we play as in Zelda Wii, then that would be different, but that's almost a complete impossibility, IMO. :bleh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom