• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Right handed Link: Do you care?

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
Ever since the beginning, Link has been a left handed swordsman. This is actually a really neat trait b/c you don't see too many left handed swordsman around. Heck even Toon Link's figurine description for the Nintendo Gallery in Wind Waker indicated that his favorite hand is his left. Then for Twilight Princess on Wii, they flipped the whole world for the right handed waggle controls and whatever, but the GameCube version was the canonical version so Link was still considered left handed. Skyward Sword however was the first time we had a true right handed Link, and ....egh. I guess I can get behind the reason, they wanted to move forward w/ the motion controls so they decided to make him right handed. Then for Ocarina 3d, they mirrored the Master Quest version of that to add some more challenge. This is stupid. I always hated the mirror mode in Mario Kart and I really did not like it's inclusion here. But whatever, he was still primarily left handed. But now Breath of the Wild.....why was he right handed again?

Basically I wanted to know how much do you guys care about Link being left or right handed, if at all. I admittedly do b/c I just feel that was a signature trait for Link as a character, being a left handed swordsman. Also as a side note, playing as him in Smash Ultimate just feels weird now since you know, he's always been left handed in his last incarnations, now it just feels like he's doing his actions in reverse.

I've never really cared.

I liked that he was left handed because it was a bit unique and it was never made out to be a big thing, it was just something that was a thing, which was nice.

I have a problem with him being right handed in the Wii era becauee it meant a lot of lefties had a problem with Skyward Sword.
Also flipping the entire overworld in TP Wii is something that will bug me forever on so many levels.

The fact that Link is right handed In BotW doesn't bother me, it does feel a little bit like a shame after so long though.

Reactions: Dio
Y'know, I never once noticed. Idk if it's because I'm ambidextrous or what, but I literally never realised.

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
I love the fact that he's a leftie
originally it was because it was easier to draw his sprite if he held the sword in his left hand

But one of my friends says that being a left handed swordsman is actually disadvantaging yourself (even left handed swordsmen would learn with their right hand). So it's probably for the best that link becomes right handed.

I'm a left handed guy myself but I had no problems playing Link left or right handed. Given the Wii-mote, I have to wonder why TP and SS couldn't have allowed you to put the Wii-mote in your left hand instead of your right hand...would have been fun for some people.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
People who use their left hands are just attention seekers 'ooh look at me I'm using my left hand to do things that should be done with the right hand La de da de dah' Just use your right hand like everyone else. It's not big and it's not clever.

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
People who use their left hands are just attention seekers 'ooh look at me I'm using my left hand to do things that should be done with the right hand La de da de dah' Just use your right hand like everyone else. It's not big and it's not clever.
I cant ive tried im rubbish at right handed stuff @Deus !! :kawaii:

Last edited:
  • Ugh
Reactions: Dio

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I like him better right handed just because I think his gear looks better aesthetically that way. I liked it in BotW and SS, and I actually prefer OoT3D Master Quest to the original partly because of the mirrored world. Ultimately his choice of hand doesn’t really matter that much to me, but if I had to choose I’ll take right handed.

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
I thought a left handed Link was a neat little quirk but really it doesn't matter in the end just as long as they're consistent....wii TP....Though I guess that one has a decent explanation

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom