• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ride the Winds!

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
This is really neat. I just finished the first arc and can't wait to see where this goes. I like how you implied the spiritual descendant thing that led to Tetra, kinda fits in with this HC I have that Link, Ganon and Zelda are all reincarnated or something. Also the one I have that Tetra and Zelda are not the same person. Really looking forward to this.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
It's time for another chapter! The fifth arc continues on, setting the stage for the events of Wind Waker 50 years in the future once more. Hope you enjoy!

Chapter Twenty-One
Burning Arrows, Freezing Fear​

Lana had been forced into her fair share of unreasonable quests since setting out, but this was the first time she felt like refusal truly meant death. The Fairy Queen’s gaze shut out any capacity for thought. Her breathing shallowed to the point of almost stopping completely. Her head was going numb and her surroundings began to blur. The small circle of light that led to the outside world above her head appeared to be shrinking away out of existence. If she didn’t agree, she was certain she’d never be able to leave this place, or worse.

“... A-alright. I’ll do it. If that is what you desire, I’ll do it.” Lana said.

Getting those words out was extremely difficult for her, but fortunately, the Fairy Queen looked pleased. “That’s a good girl. I knew you could be reasonable!” she giggled.

- What part of this is reasonable?

The smile that formed on the Fairy Queen’s lips was haunting, and Lana was scared to wonder if she could read her thoughts. Nevertheless, that feeling of terror subsided gradually, and the crater above appeared to be the size it had always been. She wanted to write it off as a hallucination caused by fear, but her instincts were telling her it was anything but.

- I swear, I am never getting involved with fairies again after this.

“So, where are these perfect spots on the Great Sea? You mentioned you had some places in mind.” Lana asked.

“Yes, indeed. The places I would like you to hide the artifacts are as follows: the iron boots will go to Ice Ring Isle and the power bracelets will go to Fire Mountain. Yes, I think that would be best.” she explained.

“... I see.”

“Do you need directions to these islands, dear child?”

“No, I know where they are, thank you.”

Lana did indeed know where they were. She also knew what those islands represented to sailors; certain death. It was impossible to sail anywhere near those islands due to their harsh climates. She had actually sailed past Ice Ring Isle with Orca before, as it was near the Forest Haven, but she still stayed as far as she could from its local waters.

- Once again, I’m going to some insane places, aren’t I...

“I’m glad to hear that! You must be a knowledgeable sailor. I can tell. In which case, you probably know those islands are unapproachable. That’s exactly why I chose them, of course! Hee hee hee.” the Fairy Queen said proudly.

“So, do you happen to know how to approach them safely? I can’t fulfil your task if I can’t make landfall.” Lana asked.

“Of course, silly child. If it were impossible, the Hero wouldn’t be able to get to them later! That would defeat the whole purpose.” she said.

- I suppose that makes sense. All these great beings sure are going to a lot of trouble for this Hero... I just wish it didn’t have to cause so much trouble for me.

That devilish smile returned to the Fairy Queen’s lips, and Lana stopped her train of thought, just in case.

“There’s only one way to breach those islands, and that’s with magic arrows!” the Fairy Queen explained. “You need only fire these arrows into the air above those islands, and their magic will suppress the climate long enough for you to stash the artifacts inside them. It won’t last long, however, so you’ll have to be quick! Here, I’ll even do you the favor of granting you a bow, as well as a generous stock of these enchanted arrows. Make sure they don’t go to waste!”

The Fairy Queen raised her arms above her head, and a gleaming light began trailing from her fingertips. In an instant, a flash of golden sparks produced a fabulous bow in front of Lana. The wooden grip was golden, and the limbs were plated with silver. A quiver also appeared beside it, red in color with intermittent white swirls across its surface. Tucked securely inside this quiver were a large number of arrows.

With a wave of her hands, the bow and quiver swiftly made themselves at home on Lana’s back, buckling themselves just above her waist so they didn’t interfere with her sword or her deku leaf shawl. This startled Lana a bit, but she found she wasn’t uncomfortable carrying them around like that.

“I also gave you a stock of regular arrows, just as an extra bonus. Consider it a sign of good faith! Hee hee hee!”

“Thank you very much. I appreciate the thought.” Lana said.

- Especially since I have no idea how to use a bow. I can use the regular arrows to practice so I don’t have to waste the enchanted ones.

“Hee hee hee! I always appreciate well mannered guests like yourself. I have enjoyed this quite a bit, Lana the voyager! You are free to be on your way now. I trust you’ll see the artifacts hidden safely away! Farewell!”

With that, the Fairy Queen was gone before Lana could process how she even left. She vanished just as suddenly as she had appeared, as if she had never been there at all. Lana couldn’t hold in a sigh any longer. She felt relieved this was over. Of course, it wasn’t completely over. Not while there was still a new quest to fulfill.

Lana didn’t want to spend a second longer in the Fairy Queen’s home than she had to, so she quickly took to the air with her deku leaf and ascended back out of the crater at the top. To her slight annoyance, the bow and arrows added enough extra weight to throw her off balance for a bit. She'd have to get used to that new weight if she were to continue moving efficiently.

And so, Lana quickly touched back down on the child isle and explained to the King of Red Lions what had happened inside.

“I see... So she roped you into a favor you couldn’t refuse... My condolences.” he said.

“You were right to warn me about her. Sadly, I don’t think there was any avoiding this.” Lana said dejectedly.

“I’m sorry. It appears I’ll have to keep you away from your journey a little longer. That wasn’t my intention.”

“It’s not your fault, you couldn’t have known this would happen. Let’s just get this over with quickly.” Lana said, stretching her limbs impatiently.

“As you wish, then. I will gladly stick with you until I can fulfil the promise I made with you.”

“I appreciate it, thank you.”

Lana hopped from the child isle onto the King of Red Lions, and readied her deku leaf into a sail once more. The wind was still blowing toward the southeast, so she wanted to set off before it changed again. Once they were underway, Lana gazed over her shoulder at the mother isle and thought back to her conversation with the Fairy Queen.

- I sure hope I never have to come back here again. Once I’m done with this quest, that had better be the end of it for real. I’m so tired of being sidetracked.

The sun had begun to sink below the horizon, marking the end of another day at sea. The wind had changed to a westerly breeze, so it was a bit off-angle with the sail. Their pace was less than ideal, but Lana could feel a more favorable change coming soon.

She had spent the afternoon practicing with her new bow. She wanted to get accustomed to holding it and nocking arrows before arriving at Ice Ring Isle, her first of the two destinations. She repeated the motions of pulling the arrow back on the drawstring, trying to get a feel for it. She wasn’t able to actually loose an arrow, since she’d have to go fish it out of the water afterward if she wanted to conserve them (and she felt bad about the idea of using the King of Red Lions’ hull for target practice).

Lana felt mildly confident that she could properly use her bow when the time for it came, so she changed to sword practice. The King of Red Lions was so small, there wasn’t enough room on his deck for her to practice her forms, but for the moment, she wanted to get a feel for swinging her sword around with the added weight of the bow and arrows on her back. She stood turned away from the boat’s head so she wouldn’t hit him by mistake, and began diligently making practice swings.

“You’re quite the hard worker, Lana.” the King of Red Lions suddenly spoke.

Lana was a bit surprised. He hadn’t made any casual conversation with her before now. She wasn’t opposed to chatting with him, of course, but it still caught her off guard. He seemed the type to keep to himself as much as possible.

“Even if it’s something I don’t want to do, I’ll do it to the best of my ability. I think it would be insulting otherwise.” she said.

“How interesting... I think you and I are quite compatible.”

“Compatible? In what way?” she asked, confused.

“Forgive me, I didn’t mean anything strange by that. I just meant that you seem easy for me to get along with.” he said. “I feared that I had soured our relationship by pushing that Forsaken Fortress mission on you.”

- Wait, is that why he was so quiet on the voyage to the fort? He’s surprisingly delicate for a boat.

Lana let a giggle escape her lips. “Don’t worry, I’m not holding anything against you for that. I told you, it ended up being worth it for me, even if it was an awful experience. But I am mad at the Fairy Queen. I think this whole quest is overkill.”

“Yet, you’re still practicing thoroughly so you can do it properly. I find I like that about you.” he said. “I don’t blame you for finding this a bit unnecessary. It is difficult for young ones like yourself to understand how important the Hero is. But truly, the world would be lost if he isn’t able to fulfill his duty. That is no exaggeration. I hope, at the very least, you will understand that this means a great deal to us old timers.”

“Old timers...? Well, the end of the world would affect me, too, you know. But yeah, I guess it just hasn’t sunk in yet. But that won’t stop me from helping where I can. I can tell how serious you are about this, so I’ll see this through. But I still have a journey to return to, and that means a great deal to me.”

“Of course, I understand. I will aid you with that as soon as we are finished with this quest. You have my word.”

Silence crept its way back between Lana and the mysterious boat. She was beginning to accept that he was some sort of magical entity like the Deku Tree and the Fairy Queen, or at least, that was the only way she could make sense of him. Still, there was so much she didn’t know about him. Somehow, she felt like she were missing something big. She wasn’t certain if she’d ever know the full truth about the King of Red Lions.

And as she was thinking about that, she caught sight of a familiar island silhouette on the horizon line. Once again, she was passing by her home, Greatfish Isle. She had to in order to reach Ice Ring Isle. A deep and heavy pit surfaced in her gut, just like before when she passed it by with Lenzo.

Sailing by Greatfish Isle on an unrelated quest for a second time. Could Lana say she had come any farther than the last time this happened? At the very least, she had more experience and was now better equipped. But nonetheless, she was severely lacking in supplies and a boat of her own. After all, the King of Red Lions couldn’t exactly stick with her all the way to her motherland. She needed to earn her own money to buy a new boat before she could set off again. Despite her better preparedness, the reality was she still hadn’t made much progress. That knowledge stung at her mind over and over.

- I don’t have time to be thinking about what the King of Red Lions is. I’ve had to pass by my home twice on this mess of a journey now. I won’t let there be a third time.

Lana had just finished snacking on some of the supplies Emilia had shared with her when they arrived at Ice Ring Isle. The night had almost completely passed her over by the time it came into view. Already, she was beset with chills and frigid winds, causing the King of Red Lions to wobble about.

Ice Ring Isle was unapproachable specifically because of its climate. It was unnaturally cold all year long, so much so that its local waters were frozen. A person couldn’t get close without freezing to death. The harsh winds threatened any rubberneckers with frostbite. It was a desolate and lonely place. Lana could see why that made it a good spot to hide treasure... assuming the future seeker didn’t die while trying to get it.

“Okay, so I just shoot one of the fire arrows over the island, and I’ll be able to get in...” Lana mused aloud.

“Yes. I don’t know exactly how long its magic will last, but you should be able to tell when it's close to wearing off by the temperature changes.” the King of Red Lions advised.

“Okay. I’ll try and make this as fast as possible, then.”

Lana did one last check of her equipment as the King of Red Lions straddled the edge of the ice floes. She drew her bow and pulled out one of the fire arrows. There were five in total, so she couldn’t afford to waste any. She had to make this first shot count.

After a dry swallow, Lana nocked the fire arrow, and its red tip started to glow and produce a brilliant sheen of flames. She pulled back hard, and after a few steady breaths and careful aim, she let loose.

A fierce crackling sound erupted from her fingers as the fire arrow took flight. A glamorous streak of red trailed through the air and lit up the night sky. At the height of its arc, the arrow erupted into a shower of fire over the frozen isle. Just like that, the winds died down and some of the ice melted away, creating a path for entry.

“Now, go!”

With that encouraging shout from the King of Red Lions, Lana leapt from his deck and began dashing across the ice floes at top speed. Her water boots had enough traction to keep her from slipping as she dashed. Thanks to the fire arrow’s magic, the isle’s temperature could do little more than redden her cheeks. But that wouldn’t last long.

As Lana sprinted across the ice, the isle’s full visage came into view. True to its name, there was a large ring of ice encircling the main landmass, rising above the frozen surface of the sea. Climbing over that would be a cinch with her deku leaf, but she had to take care not to fly too high. The arrow’s magic could burn her.

Once she was close enough to the ring, Lana made a strong jump, cracking the ice beneath her feet as she lifted off. She quickly grabbed the edges of her deku leaf and beat her arms down a few times. Gusts of wind filled her mantle and allowed her to rise just high enough to cling to the edge of the ring.

Her fingers began stinging almost immediately. She almost let go from the pain. Even if the air was warmer, the ice certainly wasn’t. Lana raised herself up with a great heave and scrambled to her feet. In doing so, she lost her balance and almost toppled clear over the other side of the ring. What awaited her down there was freezing water. If she’d fallen in, the heat would be sapped from her skin and she’d lose her breath from the cold. A recipe for drowning instantly.

Lana used her deku leaf as a lifeline, keeping her steady on her feet with little bursts of wind. Looking ahead to the landmass in the center, she was startled to find it was shaped like a serpent’s head, jaw agape with hungry-looking eyes. That couldn’t be natural, could it?

After a shudder from something other than the cold, Lana leapt forward and glided across the freezing moat. She landed neatly in the serpent’s freakishly inviting mouth. At the back of its throat was the start of a tunnel. She wondered if this isle used to be home to something before the cold set in. She hoped whatever it was, wasn’t still there.

Bracing against her fear, Lana took off running into the tunnel. She wanted to take it slow, but the air was already starting to feel colder. There was no time for caution. The tunnel itself was dimly lit by glowing crystals along its ceiling all the way down, and it wasn’t long before it opened out into a wide cavern.

Inside was another pool of freezing water, set below pillars of ice and fluttering keese; monster bats that liked to drink blood. They were nothing more than pests to Lana at this point, thankfully. It was surprisingly easy for her to hop across the pillars to make her way through the cavern, swatting any keese that approached her with her sword.

Hanging icicles threatened to pierce her deku leaf when they fell, so Lana had to make her way around with her own strength. The air was also getting colder by the moment, instilling a primal terror and sense of urgency into her movements. Almost slipping on the ice set her mind back into focus.

- I’ve gotta keep it together. One wrong move, and I’ll freeze to death.

That frightening image stayed in the back of her mind as she searched the cavern for a good hiding spot for the iron boots. She couldn’t keep from imagining herself shriveling up in the cold ice, limbs squeezed as close to herself as they could get, skin cracking and turning blue, the breath being choked out of her by the biting cold. It was not an ideal way to go out.

- Ugh, stop it. Stop thinking about that. You'll only slow yourself down.

As if on cue, the perfect spot to hide the iron boots presented itself. It was almost like an altar made of ice, tucked away at the farthest reaches of the cavern. It was intricately carved into the same serpent shape as the landmass. It was very creepy-looking, and only further cemented the idea in Lana’s head that something made its home in this cavern.

Either way, this altar seemed just the right spot. She thought about it from the Hero’s perspective, picturing herself coming into this place looking for treasure. She couldn’t think of a better resting place for the iron boots. She quickly pulled them out of her bag and placed them on the pedestal.

- Great, it’s done. Now I’ve gotta get out of here before the fire arrow wears off. I’m already starting to shiver.

For fear of time running out, Lana left the iron boots as they were without a second thought, and made a mad dash for the cavern’s exit. Then, a sudden rumbling caused her to skid to a stop.

“What in the...?!”

She turned around, and to her great dismay, something above the serpent altar began moving. A statue that hadn’t registered in her vision before then started clanging about, leaping down to the cavern floor. It wielded a large, jagged sword and carried an impressive shield. The more Lana gawked at it, the more she realized it wasn’t actually a statue. It was a moving suit of armor. That could only mean one thing.

“A darknut?! Here? Ugh!”

Lana had no more time to waste. The air was beginning to sting her skin. She couldn’t spare a moment to fight the beast. She had to get away from Ice Ring Isle as fast as possible, or that image of her death would cease to be a fantasy.

Of course, the darknut wasn’t going to make escape easy for her. As soon as Lana took off running, it gave chase, and it was awfully fast for its size. In the brief moment before she turned away from it, she could see a serpent pattern decorating its armor. It must have been the master of this cavern, the one all the serpent imagery referred to. It also wore a Knight’s Crest on its belt, and it appeared challenged by the fact that Lana wore one, as well.

The darknut caught up to Lana quickly, and swung its massive sword down above her head. She leapt aside, dodging it naturally. Her boots kept her from sliding off balance on the ice, but she still wasn’t quite used to running with that bow on her back. Gritting her teeth, Lana prepared to grab the edges of her deku leaf.

Lana ducked under another wild swing from the darknut, and leapt forward to dodge a roundhouse kick. It was a very persistent beast, even leaping across the ice pillars to chase after her. She knew darknuts were monsters born from violence and lived only to test their strength in combat. It would not stop attacking her until it was satisfied with the fight. She had no way to appease it; not without freezing to death.

Its deadly blade spilt the ice directly behind Lana, causing her to stumble forward to the edge of one of the pillars. It was do or die time. Before the darknut had the chance to slash at her again, Lana tipped herself forward and over the edge of the pillar. Eyeing the cavern’s exit, she positioned her body just right, and kicked off the edge of the pillar as hard as she could in the middle of her fall.

In that same moment, she swung her deku leaf mantle as hard as she could. A fierce gale pushed her away from the ice pillar with impressive force, sending her flying at an angle right out through the tunnel. The darknut cried out in anger as she left it in her dust, the winds created from her departure almost knocking it off its feet.

Lana busted out of the tunnel just in the nick of time. The ground beneath her was rapidly icing over, and the winds were picking up again. She flapped her arms as fast as she could move them, gaining more and more distance from the landmass with each push. At last, she was over the ice floes again, a safe distance away from Ice Ring Isle.

Craning her neck, Lana could see that the fire arrow’s magic had all but puttered out. Hardly a spark was left in the sky, and a thick shroud of snowy winds had once again overtaken the isle. She let out a great sigh of relief. She was safe.

- I’m so glad I made it out of there. That darknut almost ruined the whole thing. I sure hope it goes back to being frozen now and doesn’t mess with the iron boots.

Thinking as much, Lana floated around and made her way back to the King of Red Lions, who patiently awaited her where she’d left him. She clumsily touched back down on his deck, almost collapsing immediately.

“Congratulations on your success, Lana. You’ve done quite well. I’m proud of you.” he said.

“Thanks for saying so. I am exhausted. I’m so not looking forward to doing this again with the next one.” she said wearily.

“Indeed. Rest up while you can. You’ll need your strength for tomorrow.” he advised.

Lana simply nodded and sat down. Her thighs were burning from all the hard sprinting she just had to do, and her breathing was labored by the cold air. Her incursion of Ice Ring Isle had been quite taxing. She leaned back against the deck railing and pulled out some more rations to munch on. The King of Red Lions then began moving on his own, heading for the next destination himself so Lana could get some sleep.

- Without my sail, he won’t be able to get very far tonight. I’ll have to take over again when I wake up. But for now... I just need to rest.

Thinking as much, Lana got as cozy as she could and shut her eyes. Part of her wanted to start planning her strategy for Fire Mountain, using what she’d gleaned from this experience. But, before even realizing it, she had drifted off to a peaceful sleep. The King of Red Lions quietly ferried her onward to the next destination. And as he listened to the soft sounds of her breathing, he allowed himself to show a gentle smile to the empty night.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
I'm late to this party, but:

1. What has been your favorite part of Lana's journey so far?
The way she doesn't give up. She just can't catch a break, but she keeps rolling.
2. What do you think I'm doing well with in regards to the writing?
I'm gonna echo echo (humor) and say the fight scenes. Those have always been something that are a struggle for me to follow, and this is one of the best I've ever seen it done. (Inheiritance series being the best.) Your writing style reminds me a lot of a friend's writing style, so it's really enjoyable.
3. What do you think I could have done better, or what do you think I need to improve?
Really being nitpicky here, but I kinda wanna say dialouge. Sometimes that can feel flat compared to the rest of it, especially seeing how vivid your descriptions are. But that's really being picky.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Time for the next chapter! The fifth arc is almost over now. Lana's come very far, but the seas aren't done messing with her yet. ;) Enjoy!

Chapter Twenty-Two
Freezing Arrows, Burning Haste​

When Lana’s eyelids slowly rolled open, she felt surprisingly refreshed. She wasn’t sure if she’d had the chance to sleep on a moving boat before, but she found herself extremely comfortable with it. The waves rocked her gently along, setting her body and mind at ease.

She sat up and stretched her arms, and then gazed around to get some bearings. The sun seemed to have risen only an hour or two ago, and the wind was steady. She could see a sizable dot on the horizon to the south, and if she squinted, it appeared to be the Forest Haven.

- It’s been a few hours, and he’s barely made out of Ice Ring Isle’s local waters? He really does have a hard time getting anywhere without a sail.

“It seems you’re awake. I hope you slept well.”

The voice of her stoic boat companion roused her further. “Morning, King!” Lana said cheerfully.

“Ah... Sorry, did you just call me ‘King’?” he said.

Something about his tone of voice seemed really put off. “Uh, yeah. Your full name is really long... Did you not like that? I won’t do it again if it bothers you.” Lana said anxiously.

“No, no, it’s fine. You may shorten it if you wish. It just... caught me off-guard, is all.”

Lana gave him a sideways look, but she couldn’t figure out what was going on under his wooden exterior. She merely shrugged and decided that if he said it was okay, it was okay. She didn’t want to make a habit of poking into other people’s business. (Even if she couldn’t help herself sometimes.)

“I’ll go ahead and hook the deku leaf back up then, so we can get moving.”

“Very well.” King said.

That collapsible mast rose up for her again, and as soon as her deku leaf was back in place and caught the wind, their speed increased dramatically. They were headed due north to Fire Mountain, the place the Fairy Queen had instructed Lana to hide the power bracelets.

The island was aptly named. It wasn’t even an island as much as it was a volcano sticking out of the ocean. The nearby Dragon Roost Island was also volcanic, but it was far bigger and actually habitable. There was supposed to be a town there, or so Lana had heard. But Fire Mountain was much smaller and far more deadly. It was constantly spewing lava, making it impossible to land there.

And that was the place Lana had to land on and hide some treasure. Figures, she thought. It was the last of her errands, though, so she was looking forward to getting it over with. Then she’d finally be free to return to her journey. Once she was done with the current quest, she’d have to give her next steps some careful thought.

- All that’s going to have to wait until after I succeed. For today, I’ll have to focus on the task ahead.

And that’s just what Lana did. She spent the morning trying to fit her exercise routine on King’s incredibly small and skinny deck. That was not easy. She couldn’t even run in place without making him wobble uncomfortably. She hated missing a day, but there wasn’t much she could do about this.

At the very least, she could do practice swings with her sword again. That didn’t require moving her feet around much. She was starting to adjust to the weight of her new bow on her back. She also made time to practice with that some more, as well.

By the time the afternoon rolled around, they were halfway there. Lana didn’t mind the solitude, but she still liked having something to do. She could only practice with her weapons so much before getting tired of it. She wished she had a fishing rod; at least then, she'd be content to stare off into space and let her mind wander away. But without one, she didn’t feel like she was accomplishing anything, and that was annoying for her.

She felt like she wanted to chat with King, but what did he even like to talk about? She doubted they had a subject in common. Was she supposed to say “So, you’re a boat, what’s that like”? No way would that work. She couldn’t think of anything to say to him.

With nothing else to do, Lana stood up and took in the sight of the sky. The clouds were very puffy and large, and they moved along with the lazy pace of the wind. She turned her eyes to the horizon line, and the place where the sky stopped and the sea began wasn’t clear. She enjoyed that sight quite a bit. She then closed her eyes and let the sounds of the ocean and the breeze wash over her. She inhaled the salty scent of the sea, as well, and began to feel her boredom fading away.

- I guess, whatever else happens, my love for the sea is never going away.

Lana smiled to herself, content at last. She continued to keep track of their bearings, and was relieved to see no signs of danger for once. She hoped for that good fortune to continue for the remainder of the trip. She didn’t want to use precious energy before arriving, considering how much the Ice Ring Isle incursion had drained her.

Speaking of energy, Lana decided it was a good time for lunch, so she sat back down on King’s bench and pulled out some rations. They were some simple honeyed crackers and dried fruits, but they were tasty enough. She made sure to keep a careful check on how much she had left, and decided she’d need to restock after going to Fire Mountain.

- Man, it sure feels good to actually have supplies on a journey, for once.

Thinking as much, Lana indulged in the taste of those crackers for a bit. As she did, the gossip stone on her wrist caught her attention. She’d almost forgotten she was wearing it. She recalled how Emilia had said it allowed for long distance communication, and now that she finally had the time to mull that over, she found herself fascinated by that prospect. She really wanted to try that out.

So, she did. She remembered what Emilia told her to do when she wanted to contact her. Lana cleared her throat, squeezed the gossip stone with her right hand, and called out.

“Hello? Does this thing work? Can you hear me?”

“Hm?” King seemed confused.

After a moment, Emilia’s fuzzy voice started echoing from the stone. “Huh? Lana? That you?”

After hearing her speak, Lana could find that a vision of Emilia was becoming clear in her head. The surroundings were blurry, but her perplexed face was making itself more visible by the second.

“Whoa, it really works. That’s amazing.” Lana said.

“What the hell? Did you just call on me just to see if it worked?” Emilia complained.

“Yeah. This is really cool!” Lana said excitedly.

“Damnit, my gossip stone is not a toy! If you don’t have business with me, don’t bother contacting me!”

“Sorry, sorry. But man, this really is amazing. What kind of magic is this?” Lana asked.

“No idea. I just know the stones are enchanted, but I dunno how. I told you they’ve been passed down in my family, right? That’s pretty much all I know about them.” she explained.

“Oh, wow... They’re that important, and you still let them get stolen, huh?”

“H-hey, shut up! Go away already!” Emilia snapped.

“Are you still at the fort?” Lana said, ignoring the complaints.

“Yeah, we are. My boys have been raiding their liquor all day, and they’re a mess. We’ll probably set out tomorrow once their stomachs settle. I actually have something I wanna check out. About Jasper, I mean.”

“Oh? What would that be?”

“Not saying until I know. So what are you doing? Got any leads yourself?” Emilia asked.

“Not yet. Actually, I got roped into another crazy quest I couldn't get out of. It’s kind of a long story.”

“Then I don’t wanna hear it. Just keep your ear to the ground, yeah?”

“Yeah, okay.” Lana chuckled.

“Huh? What’s so funny?”

“Is that Renazo behind you?” Lana asked, examining the vision in her head.

“Wha?”

At that moment, Renazo slung one of his arms over Emilia’s shoulder, the other arm tipping a bottle back as he guzzled down alcohol.

“Cap’nnnnn...” his voice slurred. “Youse talkin’ to yer new buddy? Haha! Ya got a new frien’ now. I’sa so proud o’ youse...”

“You drunken dumbass, shut your stupid face and get off of me!” Emilia yelled, grabbing him by the arm and throwing him through the air.

“Ahahaha! I can see they’re doing a fine job of clearing out the fort’s pantry.” Lana laughed.

“Shut up and go away already, damnit! Stop looking at me!” Emilia yelled.

“Alright, alright... Uh, how do I do that?”

“Just let go of the stone, moron! Jeez.”

“Ah, right. Thanks. It was nice talking to you!” Lana grinned.

“Was not. Ugh... I’ve got a headache now.” Emilia said, sighing.

After another giggle, Lana let go of the gossip stone, and the vision of Emilia quickly faded away. She could no longer see or hear the surly pirate captain. She leaned back on King’s bench and gazed up at the sky.

- That conversation was a lot more fun than I thought it’d be. I wonder if I could get along with her, after all...

“You used the gossip stone, then?” King asked, finally speaking up again.

“Oh, yeah. I wanted to see how it works for myself. I think it’s gonna be extremely important for us later on.” she said.

“Perhaps so...” he said mysteriously.

The sky’s blue was beginning to mix with a tint of orange as the sun sank lower and lower. The winds picked up, pushing Lana and King faster along their route. Finally, the red glow of Fire Mountain came into view in the distance.

Smoke billowed high into the air from the top of the mountain. Lava spewed forth like a geyser, trickling down the sides and into the ocean, where it hardened on the spot. The local sea was boiling from the heat, and steam rose from the water’s surface constantly. It was utterly sweltering. Lana couldn’t sail any closer.

“Jeez, this is even worse than Ice Ring Isle, somehow.” she grimaced. “A slow freeze versus a fast burn... Yikes.”

“Indeed. You may have to be even faster this time around. I wish you luck and speed.” King said.

Lana nodded, wiping sweat from her forehead and drawing her bow. She removed an ice arrow from her quiver and nocked it. This one had a blue tip, and when she pulled back on it, a frosty wind started swirling around her. For a moment, that cool air was refreshing amidst all the heat.

She aimed her bow high above the volcano, and released the arrow. Just like before, a crackling sound split her ears as the icy arrow blasted through the sky, leaving a trail of snow in its wake. Once it reached the highest point of its arc, it exploded into a shower of frost, blanketing the volcano.

In an instant, the lava froze over and shattered, making room for Lana to climb. The steam fiercely increased for a few moments before cutting off abruptly, and the air became far more breathable. That was her cue to go.

Without even waiting for words of encouragement from King, Lana kicked off his deck and took to the air with her deku leaf, leaving the boat rocking around behind her. She swung her feet up as high as she could, leaning back so that she flew in at a sharp angle. She sailed clear over the still-boiling sea, and as soon as her outstretched feet hit the side of the volcano, she swung her arms again to go up.

Lana stuck close to the mountain as she ascended, using her deku leaf to supplement her jumps as her feet pushed off the ground whenever they touched it. This floaty method allowed her to climb quickly and to come in contact with the hot ground as little as possible. That would only get her so far, of course.

The higher she climbed, the closer to the ice arrow’s magic she got, and so the colder the air became. This also made the rock at the top of the mountain significantly cooler, so she was finally able to comfortably land once she reached the summit.

Quickly, she peered into the crater to see what was down below. The fiery glow of lava could still be seen, but there also seemed to be solid ground down there, as well. Lana decided she’d have to hide the power bracelets inside the mountain. They’d be burned up by the lava wherever they were outside, and there might be a safe cove inside she could use for them. And so, she readied her deku leaf to descend.

Except when she jumped over the crater and opened her arms, she rose up instead.

“Wha?!”

That momentary panic surrendered to her reasoning skills. She knew that hot air rises, so she figured all the air coming from inside the volcano was pushing her deku leaf up, preventing her from descending. Grumbling about how she should’ve realized that sooner, Lana took a risk and closed her arms.

This put her into a freefall right through the crater. The ground came up on her awfully fast, so she rushed to open her arms back out. The deku leaf acted as a parachute, breaking her fall and catching more air. She began rising higher again, so she swiftly swung her feet around and tucked her arms back into her sides.

She was able to land safely on a sturdy chunk of rock, but her feet were starting to feel hot already. She was worried her boots would catch fire if she stood still for too long, so she hurriedly scanned the area, looking for anywhere she could stash the bracelets.

To her relief, she could see an alter across the cavern. Another perfect spot that screamed of treasure. However, there had been such an altar in Ice Ring Isle, as well, with a monster guarding it. She advanced toward it, but she did so while keeping a close eye out for movement.

For the moment, the only movement her eyes could catch was that of fire keese. Just like the regular variety, these keese were little more than chittering pests. The only difference was they could burn someone by touching them. They made their homes in environments like this, which meant they didn’t make frequent contact with people. Nevertheless, they were still no match for Lana’s sword.

Lana had to hop across shaky platforms sitting above a pool of lava to reach the altar. Every time she leapt forward, her heart jumped into her throat. She didn’t want to open her deku leaf directly above the lava, fearing some stray sparks might burn it up. She couldn't help but picture what would transpire in that case.

Without her deku leaf, she wouldn’t be able to leave. When the ice arrow’s magic wore off, the lava would come frothing right back up, burning everything in its path. The pain of fire burning away her clothes and skin, accompanied by the thick scent of charred flesh filling her nose, would all take place faster than her senses would be able to process it. She’d be dead in seconds. Not a fun way to die, even if it would only hurt for a moment or two.

- Ugh, I need to get these stupid images out of my head. I must be way too nervous if I’m still thinking like that.

Shaking her head clear of these morbid scenarios, Lana made her last jump to the outcropping of rocks that housed the altar. She took a brief moment to inspect it thoroughly, for fear of another darknut jumping out at her. Her skin prickled up as she got on edge, ready to react to any sudden moves.

The altar itself was simple enough; just a raised platform with a circular arch resting on its edges. The arch was covered in writing Lana didn’t know how to read. It looked like an ancient place of worship. Perhaps it had been the site of a temple before it was overtaken by lava. If the arch was still in good condition, this spot was likely safe from burning.

- Doesn’t seem like anything’s around... Okay. I’ll leave them here, then.

Nodding to herself and wiping more sweat from her brow, Lana quickly removed the power bracelets from her pouch and neatly placed them on the altar. She took a couple steps back, glancing over the area one last time. She was relieved that no statues had suddenly begun moving, so she turned on her heel and started heading back to the spot beneath the crater.

And when she did, she was face to face with the penetrating gaze of a magtail. It was already reared back in position to lunge forward, and as soon as Lana spotted it, it did just that.

“Wah!”

Lana yelped as she dove out of the way, dodging the magtail in the nick of time. It was another volcanic monster, one with a long, flexible body and powerful pincers like the mothulas of the Forbidden Woods. Its back was covered in armor that protected its body from lava and fire. In the center of its jaws sat a single eyeball, capable of looking in all directions. The hungry beast had this eye trained right on her.

“Oh, come on! Not again!” Lana cried out.

She could feel the temperature in the air rising by the minute. The heat was making her sweat through her clothes, and she could swear it was starting to singe her hair, as well. She didn’t have much time left. She turned back again, making a run for that first platform she’d landed on. She had to get out fast, or it would be too late.

Before she could get any father, however, the magtail lunged right at her again. It was on her faster this time, coiling around her left leg, dragging her to the ground. Struggle as she might, it was too heavy for her to stand up. Lana clawed at the ground, trying to drag herself out of the beast’s grip.

“No, no, no! Come on, get off of me!”

The pool of lava began to swell, which only set off Lana’s fears even more. She was out of time. She had to get out of the monster’s clutches, or she’d be burnt to a crisp. She looked back at the magtail, which was already clicking its pincers with delight. It looked ready to dig in for a meal. Lana wasn’t about to let that happen.

As the magtail reared its head back again, its jaw opened wide so it could fit those pincers all the way around Lana's body. Fortunately, she knew just how to counter it. In that moment before it snapped forward to strike, Lana used her free leg to kick its eye with all her might. The squishy impact gave Lana a shiver.

The magtail, however, squealed in pain, untangling itself from Lana’s leg. It curled up into a ball, using its thick outer shell to protect itself from further harm. That was just what Lana was waiting for. Without wasting another second, she rushed to her feet and used her deku leaf to take off. She couldn’t afford to worry about it burning up anymore.

She used the heat to her advantage, letting it carry her higher so she could focus on moving back toward the crater. She looked down and saw that the lava was rising higher, submerging all of those platforms she’d traveled over, as well as the balled-up magtail. Oddly enough, the altar was completely untouched.

The lava swelled up in the center of the cavern, looking ready to blow. That spot was now directly under Lana. She flapped her arms as fast as she could, combining her own force with the rising hot air. She shot straight up and out the crater, and began madly swinging her legs to move out of the way.

Once she was back in the sky, she felt the coolness of the ice arrows magic for a short moment before it finally dissipated completely. Fire Mountain began erupting again almost immediately, the lava narrowly missing Lana as she flitted through the air away from the volcano and the heat. As the lava began pouring back into the sea, the steam began rising once again, clouding her field of view.

For the moment, Lana just wanted to get as far away from the volcano as possible. The air was suffocatingly hot, making it difficult for her to catch her breath from that desperate rush. She gradually made her way out of the steam, and found the King of Red Lions waiting patiently for her.

“Thank goodness... I was worried when I saw you come out seconds before the volcano erupted.” King called out to her.

Lana couldn’t bring herself to respond. She simply smiled weakly as she floated down toward him. She landed on his deck with a thud, rocking him about. She immediately collapsed on her side, and after panting heavily for a few moments, she fished her water canteen out of her bag and took slow, careful sips.

“You seem very exhausted. That must have been quite the ordeal in there.” King said.

“Yeah. A stupid magtail coiled around my leg as I was about to escape. I thought I was done for.” Lana explained.

“My word... That must have been quite a fright. And yet, you overcame it all the same. I’m very proud of you, Lana.” King said. “With that, your obligations to the Fairy Queen are now complete. I shall report to her myself later, but for now, I think it’s about time I made good on our promise. What do you say?”

Lana sat back up, feeling a little renewed. “Yeah, sounds good. I can’t wait!”

“Haha... I’m sure. Where would you like me to take you?” King asked.

At last it was time for Lana to get back on track with her journey. Just as King had promised her, he would ferry her to an island where she could restock and work toward getting a new boat. She could hardly contain her glee. She thought back to the sea chart, and she knew Windfall was close by, but there was another populated island that was even closer.

“For now, let’s just go to Dragon Roost Island. We can already kind of see it from here, since it’s so tall. There’s a town there, right?” Lana said.

“Yes, it is home to the Rito. However, they may not have any boats for you, since they don’t personally have need for them.”

“Huh? Why wouldn’t they need boats?” Lana asked, confused.

“You don’t know? The Rito are a winged people under the protection of the Great Spirit Valoo. They can fly, so they don’t use boats.”

“... Oh. Huh. I never heard that part.” Lana said. “Well, it’s still better than nothing. I already know that Windfall’s people aren’t gonna give me the time of day without money, so I’ll take my chances with the Rito, I guess.”

“The Rito are a very spiritual people. I’m certain they won’t turn a blind eye to your plight.” King assured her.

“That’s a relief to hear. I hope you’re right and it all goes well...”

- Flying people now, is it? The seas never get any less mysterious. I wonder what they’re like...

Excitement filled Lana’s heart once again. She had struggled and fought through much return to this point. As she got the deku leaf hooked back up to King’s mast, her mind raced with anticipation. Everything she’d been through would all be worth it if she could get the assistance she needed from the Rito. Everything would finally fall back into place. Reaching her motherland would finally come back within her reach.

And so, Lana and King were off again, this time to Dragon Roost Island. All Lana could think about was how it wouldn’t be long anymore. She was ready for this. She couldn’t wait. She was going to-

Honk!

Lana’s train of thought was interrupted by a chattering seagull above her head. She glared up at the pesky bird, reminded of all the troubles they’ve caused her before. As she stared at it, another one joined its side, followed by another, and another. Lana’s expression faltered, and she gazed at her surroundings.

Ahead of her, a great number of seagulls gathered into a flock.

A flock of seagulls. Over open water.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Hey, all! Time for another chapter! This one brings the fifth arc to a close, and is something I've been building up to for a while all throughout the story. I'm glad I could finally reach this point. I had a lot of fun writing this. It's a really important chapter for Lana. I hope you enjoy it!

Chapter Twenty-Three
Lana's Worst Nightmare Comes True

x x x

“It’s true! I heard it from a visiting sailor myself!” Renny boasted to the neighborhood kids.

“No way that’s true. I bet he was just pulling your leg.” one of the boys said.

“I dunno, I’m pretty sure it was in the monster books.” another said.

“What? Really?”

Curiosity got the best of little Lana, who was listening in from the other side of the street. She took a chance and walked up to them.

“Ugh, it’s the icicle. What do you want?” Renny said rudely.

“I’ve read the monster encyclopedia front to back, and I remember everything in it. Maybe I can help?” she said nervously.

“Hah, what a loser! Must have a lot of time on your hands with no friends!” one of the boys laughed.

Lana squirmed in place, but she held her ground. “Well? Are you gonna tell me what you’re talking about or not?”

“We don’t need your help, fish guts girl! Go away!” another boy said.

Renny was quiet for a moment. “... Actually, maybe I will tell you.” he said, a devious smile on his face.

Lana lit up, thinking she would finally be included. “Really? Great!”

“You ever hear of a big octo?” he said, still grinning.

“Yeah. It’s in the monster encyclopedia, all right.” Lana nodded.

“Whoa, for real?” one of the boys gasped.

“It’s a giant squid monster with super long tentacles and a bunch of eyes. They’re really powerful. Ships that sail in their territories get sunk. I read that seagulls flock over open water when one’s nearby, ‘cause they’re trying to pick at leftover fish pieces in its mouth or something.” she explained.

“Man, you really are a dork. But you’re right. That’s what that sailor guy said.” Renny confirmed.

“No way... It really is real?” one of the boys said.

“That’s scary...” said another.

“You think that’s scary? You haven’t heard anything yet.” Renny said, the smile on his face growing more fiendish. “Lemme tell you what the old sailor told me.”

All of the boys, as well as Lana, found themselves gulping anxiously. “What... What did he tell you?” one of them asked.

“He said he survived a big octo attack. The way he told it, they didn’t see it coming until it was too late. They didn’t even notice they were in its territory until they saw how many seagulls were squawking above their heads. Then, all of a sudden, the water turned into a whirlpool, pulling their ship in. That’s when the beast showed itself.”

His audience shuddered, Lana more than the others. Renny began moving his fingers around creepily for dramatic effect, encouraged by the fear.

“It rose out of the middle of the whirlpool, its seven beady eyes staring right at the ship. The crew was about to run to the cannons, but then their ship started shaking. The big octo had already grabbed the ship with its long tentacle arms, and it began tangling them around the deck and the masts. And then... RIP! TEAR! BOOM!”

Lana let out a yelp, but the other boys were too preoccupied listening to his story to notice. Renny absolutely noticed, though, and his grin grew wider.

“The big octo ripped the ship in half! The whole thing split apart so easily. The crew began falling into the water, and so the big octo let go of the ship and started scooping them up with its tentacles. The crew couldn’t swim away because of the whirlpool, so they were helpless. One by one, they all got EATEN! BONES CRUNCHED, BLOOD FLEW EVERYWHERE! THEY SCREAMED IN PAIN! THE SEA WAS FULL OF DEATH! MUAHAHAHAHA!”

“Noooo!” Lana screamed.

She could take no more of the story, and ran away down the street to dive into her mother’s arms for comfort. The whole time, Renny pointed after her and cackled with delight. The other boys finally caught on to what he had been doing, and joined in laughing at the poor girl. That would surely become a tale that haunted Lana’s dreams from then on.

x x x

Lana’s face went white as a sheet when she saw the gathering of seagulls over the sea ahead of her. Bad memories from her childhood came flooding into her head, pumping her body full of so much fear she could barely hold onto the steering gear without shaking like a leaf. She turned it sharply, as hard as she could, hoping it wasn’t too late.

“Hm? Lana, why are we turning?” King asked.

“No no no no no... Please, no. Please let me be wrong.”

“What’s the matter? You sound terrified.”

Lana couldn’t bring herself to answer. Her entire body shook with terror. Her breathing was labored and unsteady, and a cold sweat stuck to her goosebump-covered skin. She wanted desperately to be wrong, that the seagull gathering was just a coincidence. She prayed to anything she could think of, begging for this reality to be mistaken.

As if to spit in the face of all Lana’s prayers, the seas beneath the King of Red Lions began to roil and froth, eventually forming a whirlpool. A sudden thud caused Lana to faceplant on the deck, and King looked around in a hurry. He was able to sense the danger they were in, albeit too late.

Lana unstuck her face from the boards. “No...! No no no no no!” she cried out.

She leapt to her feet and followed the spin of the whirlpool with her eyes, until she found the center. To her horror, the maw began bubbling and sloshing violently. Frantically, Lana tried steering King out of the vortex, but the current was too strong and the wind in the deku leaf sail was too weak. They were trapped.

At last, it began to rise. The first thing to breach the surface was the large, crested fin, evoking the tip of a halberd. Next came the tall mantle, covered in seven beady eyes trained on the tiny boat caught in its watery web. Last, a massive beak snapped up and down through the spinning vortex as it came to rest in the whirlpool’s maw. Two gigantic tentacles sprouted from the waves, as well, reaching to at least twice its full body length.

With an ear-splitting shriek, the big octo made its presence known to the surrounding seas. It was a cry that told anything nearby that they were about to be its meal, and that there was no escape. A cry that snuffed out hope in the hearts of any who could hear it.

Lana couldn’t even bring herself to scream anymore. She had gone to full-on hyperventilating. She collapsed on her rear on King’s deck, unable to tear her eyes away from the sight in front of her. In her mind, visions of all the nightmares she had about being eaten by big octos came to life more vividly than ever. The suffocating squeeze of the tentacles, the water rushing into her lungs and nose, the despairing pitch black of the sea floor; her nightmares were becoming her new reality.

“This is not good...” King said. “It caught us completely off-guard. We must find a way to fend it off and reach land. Lana... Lana?”

King’s words fell on deaf ears. Lana could hear nothing but that shriek echoing around in her skull. The sound of her breathing drowned out anything King tried to say to her. Her shaking limbs prevented her from standing up and manning the steering gear. She was completely paralyzed.

Lana had dealt with many things since starting her journey, but this was the one thing she could not deal with. Big octos terrified her down to the marrow of her bones. All because she heard that story as a child, she had been beset by explicit nightmares almost every night. Fear had been imprinted on every fiber of her being. In that moment, she was no longer a voyager. She was simply a terrified girl.

“I’m going to die... I’m going to die... I’m going to die...” was all she could manage to say.

“Lana! Get yourself together! I can do nothing on my own! Do you hear me?!” King shouted.

The big octo made its first move. One of its tentacle arms began whipping around through the air to and fro, before finally targeting Lana and King. The slimy tentacle slithered through the air like a serpent, ready to smash the boat to smithereens.

Lana screamed so loudly, her throat went hoarse faster than her voice could keep up. Her arms flailed around uselessly, trying in vain to protect herself. Her eyes stung with tears as she shut them tightly, still trying to deny her reality.

Thwack!

A loud cracking sound rang through her ears. The sound of wood splitting apart. Lana jolted still after hearing it, and slowly opened her eyes to see what had happened. Steadily, the sight of King missing his head came into view.

“Wha...”

Lana stopped breathing for an instant. She blinked a couple times, trying to make sure she was really seeing what she was seeing. Strangely, after rubbing her eyes, King’s head was back where it had always been.

“Lana! I cannot defend you forever! I don’t have all the energy in the world! I don’t know what is filling you with so much fear, but still, you must act! If you don’t act, you won't survive!”

Lana tried to speak, but no words could come out. All she could manage to do was sit in fear, her lip quivering and tears rolling down her cheeks. However, King did not give up on her.

“Stand strong, Lana the voyager! You have overcome everything else put in your path before, and you will do it again, here and now! Fear hasn’t defeated you before, and it’s not going to defeat you now! You are strong! So show me your strength again, and rise to victory once more!”

At last, something he said got to her through the terror. Her fear-ridden body gradually took in the King of Red Lions’ rousing speech. He had already saved her life once before, when she was a child. And now, he had done it again. Somehow, he protected her from the big octo’s attack. She didn’t know what kind of price he’d paid for it, but something deep inside her wouldn’t allow it to happen again.

The fire in Lana’s heart had nearly been drowned by fear. The nightmare of being pulled under the ocean and feasted on by a terrible beast had frozen her limbs and sapped away her courage. The nightmares were still pounding in her head relentlessly. And yet, seeing King sacrifice himself for her was just the fuel her heart needed to reignite the spark.

- What in the world is wrong with me? I just let King take a hit for me... And what was I doing? Just sitting here shaking like a coward.

The tears dried from Lana’s eyes. Her body began shaking less violently, and her fists clenched together so tightly that her skin was turning white. She grinded her teeth in frustration, nearly biting her tongue in the process. Steadily, she rose to her feet at last.

- How many times am I going to have to tell myself the same thing? There’s no such thing as impossible anymore. I don’t have time to sit here crying. Not when I can still act.

The nightmares began losing their hold on Lana’s mind. What was once filled with darkness and despair began giving way for an anger directed at herself. It didn’t matter how anymore. She was going to fight her fears and the monster before her. She wasn’t going to let anyone get hurt for her again.

“I’m sorry about that, King. That was so pathetic... I hope you aren’t hurt too bad.” Lana said, still hints of fear lingering in her voice.

“Nothing I can’t repair. But I won’t be able to do that again for a while. Are you ready now?” he asked.

“I don’t know, but I don’t really have a choice. Let’s find a way to fight.” she said.

Lana hadn’t completely stopped shaking yet, but she tried to steel herself all the same. The big octo seemed confused that its attack was ineffective, and it was beginning to ready another swipe of its massive tentacle. As the ridiculously long limb whipped around in the air again, Lana wracked her brain, searching for a move she could make.

She and King were at its mercy as long as that whirlpool was spinning. She didn’t know how it worked, but they weren’t going to get away until it stopped. She needed to figure out if that necessitated slaying the beast or not. The problem was, how to go about slaying a creature of that magnitude. She was just one person, and the only weapons she had were a sword and a bow. Would that really be enough?

As the tentacle approached again, Lana did the only thing she could. She drew her bow and nocked an arrow, hoping the pain would be enough to make it back off for a moment. Her shaky hands made aiming difficult, but she trusted her strength and let loose.

The arrow took flight, missing poorly. It splashed uselessly in the ocean, leading Lana to curse under her breath. Her unsteady hands quickly reached back for another one before it was too late. Perhaps fueled by adrenaline and fear, her second attempt was lightning-fast, and this time, the arrow did hit its mark.

Unfortunately, it had the impact of pricking a finger with a threading needle. The beast quickly shrugged it off, but its aim was affected enough that its attack missed. Its tentacle smacked the water’s surface too close to the boat for comfort, soaking Lana through her clothes with a large splash. King rocked dangerously back and forth through the whirlpool.

Lana had bought herself a little more time to think. Shooting the tentacles wasn’t going to do anything. Maybe she could sever one with her sword, but she’d have to get dangerously close to pull that off. She wasn’t sure if she could do it. If the tentacles were no good, then perhaps attacking the eyes was her best bet. At the very least, she could blind it.

The big octo had seven large eyes across the surface of its mantle. That was a lot of targets to hit. If she left even one of them untouched, it would still be able to chase her. She had to hit them all. However, her stock of arrows wouldn’t last forever. The Fairy Queen had given her five of each fire and ice arrows, as well as thirty regular arrows. If she kept missing like she did earlier, she’d be out in no time. She needed a better plan.

Of course, the beast wasn’t going to give her much time to come up with one. It was already gunning for her again, this time using both tentacles. Lana wasn’t sure if her arrows would be enough to fend them both off this time. She nervously rested her hand on her sword, ready to draw and attack when the tentacles closed in.

“Lana! Your deku leaf!” King yelled.

“Ah! Right!” she gasped.

How could she forget? The deku leaf wasn’t doing any good as a sail with that whirlpool trapping them in the monster’s range. She quickly snatched it off the mast and wrapped it back around herself. Just as the tentacles were about to strike again, Lana lifted off into the air.

The sudden movement pulled the big octo’s eyes away from King. The tentacles froze in place as the beast watched her, puzzling out its next move. Lana did the same in the air. She couldn’t let go of the leaf’s edges without it collapsing in on itself. Her arms were absolutely necessary to remain in flight. That meant she couldn’t attack from the air. But perhaps there was something else she could do.

Lana flapped her arms, and the tentacles began moving again. They writhed and stretched to chase her in the air. She tried her best to stay ahead of them, angling her body to gain speed as she closed in on the big octo’s body. She thought that maybe she could drop in from above, stab one of the eyes, and take off again. Whether she could keep doing that without getting caught was another question.

Swallowing her fears as best she could, Lana let go of the deku leaf when she was above its head. In the middle of her fall, she grabbed the hilt of her sword, ready to draw and slash when her feet touched down on the beast's skin.

One of the tentacles streaked through the air and slammed across Lana’s chest before she could even touch down. The breath was knocked right out of her, and she nearly dropped her sword from its sheath. Stunned, she was unable to defend herself as she toppled through the air into the vortex below.

Water rushed into her ears and nose, and before she could move again, a tentacle wormed its way around her body. It squeezed like a vice, choking the air out of her even further. She struggled and squirmed with all the might she could muster, but it was no use. She couldn’t break free. She could feel herself being pulled in toward the beast.

Her hazy eyes glanced over, and that fearsome beak was snapping with anticipation. In moments, it would tear into her flesh, perhaps piercing through her stomach first. It would hungrily guzzle down the blood and intestines that spilled out into the water, before finally shoving the remaining pieces of her body down its throat. And then it would be all over.

Such was the sight that played out in Lana’s sleep almost every night, down to the last gory detail. Those horrid nightmares were finally about to become true. She wondered if they had been some kind of prophetic vision of her death all along.

- If I had known this was how I’d die, I think I’d have rather burned up in Fire Mountain...

Thinking as much, Lana shut her eyes. There was nothing more she could do. She had no strength, no courage, no bravado, and no ideas. This was truly the end of the road. Her story was going to end permanently in the stomach of a big octo.

“...na!”

A fuzzy voice worked its way into Lana’s ears. She opened her eyes and looked up toward the surface.

“... Lana!” it said again.

The blues of the water rippled away and formed a bright red. In less than a second, Lana realized she was looking up at the King of Red Lions; specifically, the underside of his hull. A memory of the time she almost drowned as a child flashed through her mind. She had seen the same sight back then, too.

“Lana! Don’t give up! Lana!” King shouted as loud as he could. “Nothing is impossible! Don’t you dare stop fighting! You’re going to find your motherland, aren’t you?! So fight!”

Lana’s eyes widened when she heard those words, distorted through the water. Her teeth clenched even tighter and she began fighting tooth and nail to breath free. The tentacle did not give way for her, and even began constricting tighter. Yet, she did not let up for a moment this time.

- He’s right. I am not gonna let these nightmares come true! I am not dying today! Not without a fight! Because NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE!

She managed to bite down on the tentacle as hard as she could, causing it to jolt to a brief stop. Her mouth tasted disgusting, but that momentary pause was worth it. She was able to get her bearings at last, and she realized one of her arms could reach her quiver. Before she could even think it through, she had a fire arrow clutched in her fist, and she stabbed it into the tentacle and ripped through the beast’s flesh.

Upon doing so, the arrow exploded. A burst of flames was quickly snuffed out by the surrounding water, but not before it seared through the beast’s limbs. The pain caused it to let go of Lana entirely as it sloshed around in the water, trying to soothe its burns.

Free at last, Lana began madly swimming back to the surface. She needed air desperately. On her way back up, she glanced back at the big octo, and finally discovered the source of the whirlpool. All along, it came from the beast spinning its legs underwater. That movement created a vortex on the surface, sucking in anything close by. If she could stop those legs from spinning, they’d have a chance.

Lana breached the surface and took in large gulps of air, panting heavily. She was still being swept around by the current, dragged further away from King. She needed to get back to him so she could rest, but the pull of the water was too strong.

“Take to the skies, Lana!” King called out to her. “Your deku leaf can still generate wind when it’s wet!”

Able to hear him over the roaring water, she took his advice and managed to grab the edges of her shawl, staying afloat by vigorously kicking her feet. She started swinging her arms up and down as best she could, and blasts of wind pushed the water away from her. She was steadily lifted up out of the water before finally springing into the air with a great force of wind.

Quickly, she looked back down at the big octo. It had already recovered from the fire arrow’s damage, and was swinging its unhurt tentacle at her with haste. It came at her far more quickly this time, closing in through the air almost faster than she could blink.

However, in that moment, Lana moved on pure instinct. Her fight or flight response took over her limbs, desperate to get her body out of mortal peril. Her hands let go of the deku leaf, reached back and drew her bow along with an arrow, nocked it, aimed, and fired. In that same instant, her bow was back in place and her hands caught the edges of her deku leaf before they collapsed in.

To Lana’s eyes, the big octo appeared to be moving in slow motion. Her chest tightened up painfully, and she was barely able to breathe, but nevertheless, she moved with such speed and precision, the action was completed before she was even aware of what she had done. The arrow traveled along its path, sliding through an opening in the tentacle’s twisting movements. It met its mark in the big octo’s uppermost eye.

The beast squealed in pain as a purple fluid spewed from its wound. Its body writhed around in agony, causing the whirlpool to lose strength. Lana didn’t understand what had happened, but she didn’t waste this chance to return to King for a breather. She quickly dove down and landed roughly on his deck, falling to her hands and knees.

“... Finally... I hit it...” she said between deep breaths.

“Lana, that was amazing. Did my eyes deceive me, or did you just perform a temporal rush up there?” King asked.

“... A what? I have... no idea what that is...” Lana said, finally calming herself down.

“It’s, uh... difficult to explain.” he said.

“No time, then. It’s already coming back!” she said, readying her deku leaf again.

The big octo was enraged now, thrashing its limbs violently. It shrieked again, the noise beating against Lana’s eardrums. The remaining six eyes all locked onto her, hungry for blood and payback. Lana felt its bloodlust wash over her like a chill. But, her body had finally stopped shaking.

“Oh yeah? Come try it, then.” she rasped.

On cue, the big octo slung its tentacles at her, swinging wildly with reckless abandon. That very moment, Lana took off into the air once again. The tentacles tangled into each other as they raced to follow after her.

Her head was already spinning on her next move. Judging by what King had said, whatever she did to shoot the big octo’s eye in midair was probably a technique of some kind. Wondering if she could do it again, she tried hard to grab onto that sensation once more.

Sure enough, once those tentacles began barreling toward her again, the sensation came back. Her heart felt like it was being squeezed and she had a massive headache. Yet, what her eyes could see was a world that moved at an incredibly slow pace. Every subtle movement those tentacles made was picked up by her sight. She didn’t miss a single beat.

Lana let go of her deku leaf again and reached for her bow. This time, she drew an ice arrow, quickly nocking it and aiming for the base of the big octo, sticking out from the whirlpool’s maw. She had a mind to stop that vortex once and for all. When she loosed the arrow, it screamed through the air on a trail of frost.

Her arms were back holding the deku leaf yet again, faster than her mind could process it. The arrow hadn’t even hit its mark yet. Lana’s eyes followed it on its path as the world returned to its regular speed and her heart rate returned to normal.

The ice arrow hit the water’s surface rather than the big octo itself, inches away from its beak. Right away, the sea erupted into a thick spire of ice. The freeze had penetrated below the surface, stopping the beast’s legs from spinning. The whirlpool quickly died off, the seas finally calming down.

Lana knew her chance to win when she saw it. The freezing ice stuck to the big octo’s flesh, and any attempts it made to free itself were rewarded with blood and peeling skin. Lana dove down toward it again, this time landing on the ice. The traction her boots provided kept her legs steady.

At last, she stood on even ground with the big octo. She drew her sword, and in that lucid moment before she attacked, she locked eyes with the beast. The source of all her nightmares and fears presented itself to her as yet another wild creature, struggling to survive just as she was.

- So all along, I was scared of just another flesh and blood monster. You are not unbeatable. I’ve won. I’ve won, and now I know that I have nothing to fear from you anymore.

Those thoughts passed through Lana’s mind in a blur, and in the next instant, her blade pierced through each of the big octo’s remaining eyes. Her wicked-fast jabs left no room for the beast to counterattack. It reeled back, screaming more loudly than ever. Lana leapt up higher, running along its mantle as it tilted back. She took up her sword one last time, aimed at the spot where she thought the brain might be, and stabbed down through its skin.

The creature let out one last blood-curdling scream as Lana sheathed her sword and took flight once more. She hovered over, watching its body twist and contort in pain. It splashed around in the seas dramatically, flailing its limbs in a last-ditch attempt to defend itself. However, its movements began slowing down, until finally, as its violet blood seeped from its wounds into the sea, it stopped moving altogether.

Lana watched it from the air for a few minutes, almost unable to believe what she had just done. Sure enough, the big octo did not move again. It was well and truly dead. She had succeeded. Lana had succeeded in slaying a big octo. She had just defeated her worst nightmare with her own hands.

Relief took over her body with such force that Lana no longer had the strength to stay in flight. The edges of her deku leaf slipped from her fingers, and she plummeted down toward the sea. Luckily for her, King had positioned himself directly under her, catching her with ease. Of course, landing on a wooden deck like that was immensely painful for Lana’s back.

“Yeow... That’s gonna leave a mark...” she whined.

“A mark is better than drowning, dear girl.” King laughed.

Lana smiled weakly and laughed a bit, too. “Man, I’m beat... I can’t believe I actually did that...”

“I never doubted you for a moment, Lana. You were a wonder out there. I find myself always in awe of you.” King said kindly.

Lana’s cheeks felt hot from all that praise. “Honestly, if it weren’t for you, I would’ve died. Your words really got through to me. Thanks for being there for me again, King.”

The pair shared a heartfelt smile as the tension from the battle faded away. Lana shut her eyes and remained sprawled on her boat companion’s deck for several minutes, allowing herself to regain some strength. The thudding in her chest finally calmed down, and the memories and nightmares that pounded in her head subsided at last. For the first time in years, she felt unshackled from the nightly terrors they’d brought her. She felt freed.

- Now that I’ve slain a big octo, I hope those awful dreams will become a thing of the past. Overcoming the real thing felt incredibly liberating.

At long last, Lana felt a semblance of peace about her fears. She smiled softly to herself as she finally sat up. Before anything else, she had a physical need that had to be met. She pulled out more rations from her satchel and dug into a bag of glazed granola. She took large swigs from her water canteen, as well, and started massaging the parts of her body that ached as best she could.

She felt around for signs of bleeding, and found that her stomach was bruised pretty badly, likely from when she had been swatted out of the air. There were also constriction marks all over, but those would fade soon enough. Other than that, she had come out of the encounter with a handful of scrapes. She was fortunate that her injuries weren’t worse.

“My stomach is killing me, but I think I’ll be fine with some rest and medicine. How about you, King? You okay?” Lana asked.

“Yes. I can’t exactly feel pain, you know.” he assured her.

“Yeah, but... It looked like your head got taken off... Or did I imagine that?” she said.

King got quiet for a few moments. “You didn’t imagine that. But it is alright. This wooden body is made of my own magic. I can repair it as long as it is not completely destroyed. It just requires a large amount of energy, is all.”

“I see... I kind of want to ask what that’s all about, but...” she began.

“... I’d prefer if you didn’t.” King said quietly.

“Yeah, I thought as much. Don’t worry, I won’t pry into anything you don’t want me to.” she said.

“Thank you, and... I’m sorry.”

“No need for apologies. We all have things going on like that, I guess...”

An awkward moment of silence grew between them. Lana didn’t want to let things end on such a note, so she endeavored to change the subject.

“Anyway, I wanted to ask you something else. Earlier, you mentioned a temporal rush... What is that?”

“Ah, yes. After watching you do it again, I’m absolutely certain that’s what it was. Would you say you felt as though time had slowed down at any point during the battle?” he asked.

“Yeah, a couple times. It was freaky, and it gave me a headache and chest pains.”

“Then it seems I was right. That sensation is referred to as a temporal rush. Let’s see, how to explain it... Do you know what fight or flight is? Or hysterical strength, perhaps?”

“Yeah, I do. Fight or flight is the body’s response to dangerous stimuli, and hysterical strength is like a boost of superhuman energy when you’re about to die. I read that in a book once.” she answered, recalling an afternoon spent with Sturgeon on Outset Island.

“Very good. A temporal rush is essentially a combination of those two phenomena, put to practical use. The fight or flight response is what gives you such precise control over your limbs, as well as the intuition to act accordingly. Meanwhile, the hysterical strength is what sharpens your senses to the degree that things appear to be moving in slow motion, as well as the strength to succeed with those precise actions. Put together, you get a temporal rush, allowing you to respond as if time has slowed down. At least, that was the best explanation anyone could come up with for it.” King explained.

“Wow... You sure seem to know a lot about it.” Lana said.

“Yes. A rare few warriors of old were capable of performing it. But it is not something just anyone can do. The fact that you pulled it off by accident is rather extraordinary, Lana.”

“Huh... There’s really a lot I didn’t know I was capable of... I never needed to do any of this stuff before, after all.”

- I wonder if I can figure out how to use that more effectively in battle... When I run into Jasper again, it could really come in handy.

“Indeed. You seem like quite a special girl, Lana. I suspect there is more to you yet that neither of us has seen...” King said.

“Haha, that sounds rather cryptic...” Lana said.

“Forgive me. At any rate, I suppose we should move on from this spot. I fear that the big octo’s remains could attract gyorgs to feed.” King advised.

“Oh, jeez, you’re right. We’d better get moving.”

On that note, Lana sprang to her feet. The mast rose up from King’s deck for her again, and she got her deku leaf hooked back up to it. The wind had changed direction already, so it would be slow going. Nevertheless, they were off to Dragon Roost Island next. Lana hoped to recover there and start getting back on track with her journey at long last.

And as she thought about that, she realized that meant having to say goodbye to the King of Red Lions.

Echolight

❤️ love yourself ❤️
ZD Champion
What an intense chapter. I absolutely loved how Lana grew and overcame her greatest fear. Very inspiring for one, and also just a powerful addition to her character arc.

And, wow, that fight scene. You captured it perfectly. Lana panics, but with The King of Red Lion’s help she succeeds at completely destroying her enemy. Very nice.

Looking forward to the next chapter!

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Time to start the sixth arc! We're starting to close in on the end of the story now. There's only one more arc after this one. I hope you guys will be on the edge of your seats until the end! In the meantime, here's the latest chapter.

Chapter Twenty-Four
Starting Over Yet Again​

The night was late when Lana and King finally arrived at Dragon Roost Island. To their befuddlement, the closer they approached its shores, the choppier the wind became. It was difficult for them to pull into the docks.

The docks themselves were terribly small. There were only two piers, and it was completely vacant. Lana had never seen such a sight at an island with a town before. Even the small hamlet of Outset Island had a bigger port than this.

- I guess what King said is true... There’s no need for boats if you can fly.

Lana leapt from King’s deck onto the pier, and found herself gazing up at the enormous mountain that took up most of the island’s landscape. It was so tall that it pierced the clouds. Her neck began to hurt just from trying to see the top. It was dizzying.

“Where is the town if the whole thing is this giant mountain?” Lana asked.

“The Rito have built their homes in the caves of the island. They have also constructed walkways around the mountain’s perimeter, so they can land and take off wherever they wish. They have quite the successful mail system as a result of their abilities.”

“Oh, really? Greatfish Isle never got much mail... I guess there’s still a lot I don’t know about the Great Sea.”

“There’s always something to learn wherever you go. I hope that you keep that inquisitive mind of yours whenever you head off to your next destination.” King said, smiling.

“Oh... Right. I guess we have to say goodbye, don’t we?” Lana said sadly.

“I supposed we do. You have your own journey, and I have mine. I have now fulfilled the promise I made to you. I sincerely hope the Rito are able to help you get back on your feet.” King said.

Lana bit her lip. She never did like goodbyes much, and King had started to feel like a vital partner for her. She didn’t learn much about him or what he truly was, but out of all the friends and allies she’d made in her travels, he was special. She didn’t feel right about just walking away and leaving things as they were.

“I, um...” she began.

- I don’t really know where to start.

There was so much Lana wanted to say to him. Naturally, she wanted to say thank you for saving her life, both as a child and just hours earlier. She wanted to thank him for encouraging her and believing in her abilities. It was due in part to his words that she was able to gain the confidence she now possessed. She owed him more than she could repay.

All of those words got caught in her throat. The only thing that managed to come out were tears.

“Come now, Lana. There’s no need for the waterworks.” King said. “Keep your chin up. You’ll be fine. I have faith in you.”

Lana couldn’t hold in a few sniffles as she nodded. “Thank you. For everything. Really, thank you. I’ll never forget you, King.”

She wasn’t able to stop the tears from flowing even after repeatedly wiping her eyes. King sighed, looking a little sheepish.

“... Actually, I was thinking I should stay nearby for a few days. You’re injured, after all. I couldn’t leave in good conscience without seeing you healed up.”

“Nuh...! No! You don’t need to... for me...” Lana said, flustered.

“It’s quite all right. With the Fairy Queen’s business taken care of, I don’t have much else to do at the moment. I can spare some time to keep watch on you. If you’re fine with that.” he said reassuringly.

Lana nodded her head vigorously as she continued sniffling. “That’d make me really happy. It’s comforting to know you’re looking out for me. Sorry for being such a mess...” she said.

“You don’t need to apologize. You’ve been a brave and strong girl, but there are times where you need to let others watch over you now and then. Now, go on and find the Rito chieftain. I’m certain they won’t turn an injured young lady away, especially at this hour.”

Lana finally managed to wipe away her tears. “Alright. Thank you. I’ll, uh... See you around. Maybe. Goodbye!”

With those parting words, Lana waved farewell to her boat companion. She trotted along the dock, one hand on her aching stomach wound, feeling hopeful about the future. She looked over her shoulder a couple times, making sure she could still see King. He simply sat next to the pier, watching over her quietly with a smile.

Her childhood benefactor had done so much for her, but now it was Lana’s turn once again to start over from the beginning. Now she had experience and equipment. She needed to add supplies and a boat of her own to that, and she’d be ready to go. She couldn’t get a boat from the Rito, since they didn’t have any, but perhaps money and supplies would be possible. At least, she hoped so.

The docks turned into a dirt road that made its way up to the side of the mountain. There, she found stone steps along its edge that led up to a cliffside. Once she was up there, she found a wooden walkway with a railing, overlooking the ocean. It looked rather peaceful, but there was still no one in sight. She figured most of the inhabitants had to be asleep.

- I hope I don’t have to go knocking on any doors in the middle of the night...

As she crossed the cliff, she found odd plants growing along the base of the mountain. She stopped to look at them, her attention caught. They were blue and round, with white petals and a yellow stem. They gave off a strange scent like burnt leaves and sulfur.

- Wait a minute... Are these what I think they are?

Lana looked around, and sure enough, there was a wooden sign nearby. Written in very clear writing was the warning: DON’T TOUCH THE BOMB FLOWERS!

- I knew it... Yikes. Almost got myself blown up trying to sniff a flower...

Bomb flowers were perhaps the most peculiar fauna on the Great Sea. They normally only grew in arid regions, like Dragon Roost Island, but there have been accounts of them growing elsewhere. Plucking them caused the same effect as lighting a fuse on a barrel of blasting jelly, and they would explode in only a minute. Despite their size, their blasts were extremely powerful. They were capable of destroying bedrock. Definitely not something for a homely garden.

They weren’t easy to replant, for obvious reasons. Lana assumed they didn’t have a choice but to leave the patch where it was, hence the warning sign for anyone passing by unaware. She continued on along the cliff, watching her feet to make sure she didn’t step on one by mistake.

- If I got killed by a flower before even making it to the Rito village, that would be so lame...

Lana sighed as she walked. Her stomach was still in severe pain, and it seemed to be getting worse the longer it went untreated. She hoped it wasn’t a much farther walk to the village. The cliffside snaked around the side of the mountain a bit longer before opening out into an overlook.

Finding herself drawn by the breeze, she wandered over to it so she could look out at the sea for a bit. She was surprised at how high she’d already climbed. The rocky outskirts of the island looked awfully far below. She shut her eyes and listened to the breeze, and the pain in her stomach began to feel a bit less prickly.

- This is a really nice spot... The wind passes through here in just the right way. I could get used to this island.

Just as she thought as much, the wind suddenly picked up. It went from a gentle touch to a fierce gale, whipping Lana’s hair around and tugging on her clothes.

“Whoa!” she gasped.

Something about that wind didn’t feel natural. She almost wanted to say it was deliberate, but before she could put her finger on why, it had subsided. She realized it was similar to the winds that gave her trouble when trying to dock on the island earlier.

- Something’s up with the wind here... I wonder what’s going on. That feeling was so...

Just then, something crashed to the ground with a loud thud behind her. Reacting on instinct, Lana turned on her heel and drew her sword, expecting it to be a monster attack. But she quickly dropped her guard once she saw what it actually was.

“Owowow... That really hurt... Why won’t that wind settle down...?”

A young woman sat on the ground in the middle of a quickly-fading cloud of dust, patting her bruised bum and shakily rising to her feet. The first thing Lana noticed about her was that she had a large beak where her nose should be. The next thing she noticed was that her skin was covered in brown feathers. She also appeared to have wings in place of arms.

- Whoa... She’s like a bird... Is she a Rito?

“Um.. Excuse me?” Lana asked.

“Huh?!” the girl jumped. “Whoa, a human! Sorry, I didn’t see you there. Did I startle you?”

“A bit...” Lana said, quickly sheathing her sword. “Are you alright?”

“I’ve been better... I dunno if you’ve noticed, but the wind around here has been so intense lately... It’s making it impossible for us Rito to fly anymore.” she explained.

“I did notice. I only just got here, but I can tell something’s wrong with the wind...” Lana said.

“Huh? You can?!” the girl exclaimed.

She took a step towards Lana, so Lana instinctively took a step back. That didn’t deter the Rito girl’s enthusiasm at all, however. Her fluffy salt and pepper hair bounced with each step she took, and her red eyes were gleefully glued to Lana’s face.

“You’re telling me that you can sense the wind? For real?” she asked.

“Uh, yeah. I’ve always been super sensitive to the wind... I can feel when people make the slightest disturbances in it and stuff. The wind around here doesn’t feel natural at all. It’s really weird. I’ve never felt anything like it.”

“Wow... That’s amazing! Not even us Rito are that attuned to the wind... Hey! You’ve got to come with me! Right now!” she said excitedly.

“Huh? I do?” Lana said, surprised.

“Yeah, you do! You should talk to the chieftain! That’s my dad, by the way. Oh! I guess I should introduce myself, huh? My name’s Aamali! What’s yours?”

Aamali talked a mile a minute. It was difficult for Lana to follow along with what she was saying.

“Um... I’m Lana. So, uh-”

“Great! Nice to meet you! Quick, come with me!”

The energetic Rito girl reached out for Lana’s hands. She was surprised to see that her wings had retracted, revealing feathery arms and hands like a human’s. It was a little freaky for Lana, seeing that for the first time. She lurched her hands back, but Aamali snatched them up quickly and began to tug.

“Come on! Let’s go!” she said.

“Wait a minute! I- Ow! Ugh...”

Aamali’s rough pulling caused Lana to feel a spike of pain in her stomach again. This time, Aamali finally noticed something was wrong. She let go of Lana’s hands and hovered over her with concern, as Lana knelt down on the ground clutching her stomach.

“Oh no, what’s wrong? Did I hurt you?” she asked.

“No, no, I was already injured. That’s what I was trying to say... I came here for help, since it was the closest island...” Lana said, gritting her teeth through the pain.

‘Oh my goodness, I’m so sorry! I got so excited, I just... I’m sorry!” Aamali fussed. “Here, take my arm. I’ll help you inside. A Rito never turns away someone in need! Or at least that’s how I’ll run them when I’m the chieftain! Come on now!”

Despite her concern, Aamali was certainly a person that only moved by her own schedule. Lana had just met her, and she was already feeling worn out from her personality alone. Giving in at last, Lana put her arm over the Rito girl’s shoulder and allowed her to help her inside.

The girls quickly strode along the cliffside, coming up to a cavern entrance. Aamali informed her that this was the entrance to the village as she carried her along, not even bothering to pause for a breath. The walls were lined with wooden support beams and torches for light, leading the way deeper inside.

Once they reached the interior, Lana found her jaw dropping a bit. The central cavern was a vast hollow that reached high up above her head, with numerous wooden walkways circling around the edges as well as several branching tunnels. She wasn’t expecting it to be so open. It didn’t feel cramped at all, despite it being the inside of a cavern.

“This is pretty cool...” Lana said.

“Hehe, I’m glad you approve! Come on, the chieftain’s quarters are straight ahead.” Aamali said, pointing out an impressive looking door on the other side of the aerie.

It appeared that Lana and Aamali were the only two people out and about in the settlement. It had to be almost midnight by then. Lana wondered if the chieftain was still awake. She didn’t want to be a bother so late at night. However, Aamali seemed to have other thoughts.

“Hey, dad! Wake up!” she yelled, kicking the doors open.

“What in the-?!”

An older Rito man shot out of his bed across the room with a start, sending some stray feathers floating into the air. Lana was in utter disbelief.

“Good, you’re up! Come here for a sec!” Aamali said urgently, as if she weren’t the one who had just woken him up.

“Aamali, for crying out loud...” her father said, rubbing his temple. “What are you even doing up this late? You’re already seventeen. You should be better behaved than this! You better not have been trying to fly again. And who in the world is this human girl you’ve brought in here?”

“Well, um-” Lana tried to begin.

“Dad, listen to this!” Aamali interrupted. “This is Lana! She’s really sensitive to the wind! I think she can help us, ‘cause she just got here, and she already figured out that something’s wrong with the wind, oh and also she’s injured and this was the closest island, so we should help her out and she can help us, too! Right?”

“My dear, I have no idea what you’re talking about. Please try to-”

“Come on, aren’t you listening to me?” she interrupted again. “I said, this is Lana and- mmmrphf?!”

Lana could take no more. She had to slap her hand over Aamali’s mouth.

“I’m so sorry, sir. Please, let me try to explain.” Lana said, full of exasperation.

Aamali and her father simply nodded. And so, the three of them were able to sit down and have a civil discussion at last. Lana told them her story thus far; she was sailing in order to find her motherland, but was beset by pirates and disasters and was in desperate need of supplies. She also told them how she had just survived a big octo attack, slaying the beast and managing to reach this island in an injured state.

“Holy wow, you slew a big octo?! With just the gear you have on you now?” Aamali said in shock. Lana nodded. “That’s amazing! Hey, dad, she can totally help us, right? Isn’t she just what we need?”

“Aamali, calm yourself. She isn’t going to be any help to anyone with injuries like these. She must recover before we can even begin to discuss that.” her father said. Then he turned to face Lana squarely. “I apologize for the late introduction. My name is Kaneli, and I am the current chieftain of the Rito.”

“Pleasure to meet you, sir.” Lana said, shaking his feathered hand. It felt a little ticklish to her touch.

“You’ve already met my daughter, Aamali. I must apologize for her. She is... Well, as you can see, she’s quite a free spirit.” he said.

“Hey, that sure doesn’t sound like a compliment!” Aamali pouted.

“It’s alright, really...” Lana said. “So, I can’t help but wonder... What exactly is happening here?”

“Yes, that... Aamali did babble something about you being sensitive to the wind, didn’t she?” Aamali pouted further and started lightly jabbing her father’s arm. “I don’t really know what to tell you. Just a few weeks ago, the winds surrounding our island suddenly became fierce. We’ve been utterly unable to fly, which has put a halt on all our business... It’s becoming quite a problem.” he explained, ignoring the playful prodding from his daughter.

“A few weeks ago, huh? And you don’t know the cause?” Lana asked.

“No. We haven’t been able to find anything that could have caused this. We’ve tried consulting with the Great Valoo, our guardian deity, but we cannot fly up to speak with him because of the winds. We’re at an impasse...”

- That’s one of the Great Spirits I heard about from King... So they live side by side with him, huh?

“You can’t climb the mountain without flying?” Lana asked.

“We could, but the only way to do that is to go through Dragon Roost Cavern. It’s not exactly safe... There’s active lava flowing through it, and it is home to many monsters. We’re always on our toes because of it. We’re generally a very peaceful folk, and we’ve only recently begun training warriors to deal with this problem. However, it isn’t going very well...” Kaneli informed her.

“That’s why I said Lana could help us!” Aamali interjected. “I’m a pretty skilled fighter, but I can’t get through the cavern all by myself. But Lana here slew a big octo all on her own! With the two of us together, we could do it for sure! And as the Great Valoo’s attendant, I can speak to him and see if he knows what’s going on!”

“Wait, what? Is that what you dragged me in here for?” Lana said.

“You see, dear, when you speak more slowly, like you just did, it’s much easier to understand what you’re getting at.” Kaneli said, ruffling his daughter’s hair. “That’s not a bad idea... But Lana is injured. I wouldn’t dare ask her to do such a thing in her condition.”

“That’s fair... Lana, what do you think?” Aamali asked.

Lana became quiet for a few moments. Already, she was being sucked into a new adventure, and she had only just arrived at Dragon Roost. She wondered if she were cursed to always get embroiled in other people’s messes.

- I really can’t travel anywhere without getting into something, huh... I should’ve expected this. But, actually...

“... I have a question.” Lana began. “I don’t mean to sound selfish or anything, but if I helped you guys get to the bottom of this, would you pay me for my troubles?”

“Of course we would. That isn’t selfish of you to ask at all. I would never expect you to assist us with something so dangerous for free.” Kaneli said.

“Oh yeah, you said you’re running low on supplies and money for your trip, right? Yeah, we can definitely stock you right up and call it your reward.” Aamali concurred. “And you can be sure it’ll be awfully generous.”

“I see.” Lana said. “Let me think about this for a minute, please.”

Aamali and Kaneli nodded, allowing Lana the space to be with her thoughts.

- This would be just like the deals I’ve made in the past, with Lenzo and Orca. Helping someone out in exchange for supplies and aid. Although, I was never actually able to make it all the way through to the part where I got paid...

Lana understood that this was a fair exchange for her. Adventuring was something she’d become very good at since leaving home. Her services seemed to be in high demand here, and they did promise to pay handsomely. But, was this really something she should be doing?

Every step of the way on her journey, she was beset by disaster, and tried to make up for it by embarking on some unrelated quests, only for more disaster to interrupt and prevent her from receiving her dues. What’s more, tomorrow morning would mark twenty days since she first set out. She tried to remind herself she didn’t have to rush things, that she could take all the time she needed to prepare.

Still, there was something severely unsatisfying about the whole thing. Perhaps it was a matter of pride, but the fact that she had started out with so much and had been utterly unable to fully make it all back was eating away at her. She had reached the point where she’d simply had enough of all the delays. She badly wanted to get back on track. The last thing she wanted was another distraction like this.

But then, how else was she going to get what she needed? She didn’t have any other answers. Truly, she couldn’t expect to get if she didn’t give. She recalled her friend Oshus saying something along those lines to her once. And honestly, she really didn’t like leaving people to their own devices when they needed help.

- Man, what is wrong with me? Am I just that much of a bleeding heart that I can’t prioritize my own needs? Then again, this will still help me get what I need, so...

Lana scratched at her head in frustration. She wasn’t sure what the right decision was. But, she did know what that warmth in her heart was telling her to do. At last, she sighed, giving herself over to the best choice she could make.

“Okay. I’ll help.” she said. Aamali and Kaneli lit up. “But I’d really like some time to heal up first.”

“Of course. We have hot springs that are quite restorative. I’m sure you’ll be back in top shape in no time.” Kaneli said.

Aamali reached out for Lana’s hands again, shaking them excitedly. “Thank you so much, Lana! I just knew we could rely on you for this! There’s just something about you... Dad, you feel it, too, right?” she said.

“I do, actually. You said that you’re incredibly attuned to the wind... I have to wonder if perhaps...” he began.

“Oh! You think she could be a Wind Waker?” Aamali exclaimed.

“Yes, that would make sense.” Kaneli nodded.

“Huh? A what now?” Lana asked, confused.

“I’m not surprised you’ve never heard of them. It’s not exactly a story that gets around.” Kaneli explained. “There is a legend about them from an ancient civilization that no longer exists today. Apparently, they were people who could understand the wind like it was speaking to them, which sounds remarkably similar to what you’ve described about yourself.”

“Yeah, apparently, they were even able to conduct the wind itself using magical tools! Pretty cool, huh?” Aamali chimed in.

“That does sound really cool... But I’ve never had any tools like that, and I’ve never controlled the wind, either.”

“Yes, I figured as much. It is an ancient story, after all. Who knows if it’s even true? But looking at you, I can’t help but be reminded of it...” Kaneli mused.

“Well, Wind Waker or not, you’re already pretty amazing, Lana! Don’t stress over it. Here, lemme take you to a guest room. I’ll get you set up with some first aid, too.” Aamali said, jumping to her feet.

“If you say so... Thank you.” Lana said.

“Yes, sleep the night away, Lana. I shall check on you in the morning.” Kaneli said.

“Thank you very much. I appreciate your help.” Lana said, giving the two Rito a big smile.

“Likewise. I will speak with you about the details later on. Goodnight.” Kaneli said, smiling back humbly.

“Come on, now!” Aamali said, beginning to tug Lana along again.

There were a lot of uncertainties that ate away at Lana’s mind, but for the moment, she did know one thing for sure; she’d gotten herself mixed up in something extraordinary once again.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Here's the next chapter. I've been having a little trouble figuring out how to divide up the content for this arc, so bear with me. It might take a bit for the next one to come out. Nevertheless, I hope you enjoy this one! I wanted it to set some stuff up for later. ;)

Chapter Twenty-Five
Blessings for a Pilgrimage​

Lana spent the next two days recovering from her nightmarish encounter in the hospitality of the Rito. Aamali had shown her to cozy guest quarters, and by the time she’d woken up, her bed was surrounded by concerned adults and curious children. It was a little overwhelming for her.

Apparently, Aamali had gone around telling everyone first thing in the morning that Lana was a powerful warrior that had just slain a big octo and could also sense the wind like an ancient Wind Waker. She’d built up quite high expectations before Lana even opened her eyes. Trying to ground those expectations in reality was a bit difficult to do with the kids, but fortunately the adults were already accustomed to Aamali’s antics.

She learned many things about the Rito during those two days. She was impressed with how tightly-knit their community was. Everyone knew everyone’s names, and the lines between whose family was whose weren’t exactly clear. They all worked as a single force to get through their daily duties.

She also learned that there was a ship that came from Windfall once every few days to drop off packages for delivery. It also served as a ferry for non-Rito, and was Lana’s ticket off the island when she was ready. Apparently, the Rito hired a lot of humans to work in the mail room, sorting the packages that could then be handed off to the flying folk to be delivered. It was quite an efficient system.

Whenever Lana wasn’t lying down and resting, she was in the hot springs recovering. The springs that Kaneli had told her about were just as rejuvenating as he’d said. They were nestled in an open-air hollow, heated by the island’s magma. The Rito often added herbs they obtained from trading with other islands to the waters, giving them medicinal properties. Lana recalled she still had leftover Forest Haven water in her bag, so she poured the rest of it into the spring. That ended up giving the healing properties a huge boost, and the Rito were very grateful for that.

As promised, Kaneli had a proper talk with Lana about what she was expected to do. According to him, she and Aamali were to work as a team to fight through the monsters that made their home in Dragon Roost Cavern. Aamali was the attendant to the Great Valoo, so her presence was necessary to understand his speech. Lana wondered if Valoo spoke in the same language as the Deku Tree.

Essentially, Lana simply had to guard Aamali as they fought their way to the summit and talk to Valoo about the wind problem. They would then plan their next steps from there. Lana felt like she was perfectly capable of doing that, once she were to fully recover. Luckily for everyone, the hot springs made that recovery faster than it would have been otherwise.

On the dawn of the third day, Lana awoke extra early and completed her morning exercises. The pain in her stomach had all but vanished, and the bruise had gone with it. The constriction marks and scrapes were also healed up. She felt refreshed and energized, ready to tackle the climb.

And then, something strange happened. As Lana was doing a check on her equipment, her gossip stone lit up. It gave her quite a scare, and so did the surprisingly familiar voice that echoed from it.

“Lana. Lana, can you hear me?”

“Hwah?!” she yelped. “Wait a minute... That voice is... King?”

“Yes, it is I, the King of Red Lions. I wonder, perhaps, do you have time to come and meet me at the docks?”

“Huh? You, uh... Wait, you’re speaking through the gossip stone? How?” Lana said, unsure of which of her many questions to ask first.

“They are magic, and so am I. Let us leave it at that.” he said, explaining himself without actually explaining anything like he usually did. “So, what do you say? I’ve been casually observing your actions through the stone, so I know what you are planning to do. I believe I have something that may be of great use to you.”

“Oh! Um... Alright. I’ll come down.” Lana agreed, though still confused.

- I wasn’t expecting to hear his voice like that. Scared the heck out of me...

Lana poked her head out of the guest quarters, which were only on the second of ten floors. She simply had to walk down a single flight of stairs to reach the base of the aerie, and then she quietly made her way back outside. She didn’t want to wake anyone or be seen, since she knew King didn’t want anyone to know about him.

She successfully left the village grounds unnoticed, and as soon as she was outside again, those fierce and mysterious winds whipped around her. She was almost unable to step forward for a moment due to their ferocity. She could easily imagine how that kind of wind could send a Rito plummeting out of the sky.

- I see why they’re so desperate to figure this out... Hopefully I can be of some help.

Retracing her steps and avoiding the bomb flowers growing on the mountainside, Lana swiftly returned to the docks at the island’s shoreline. There floated the King of Red Lions, patiently awaiting her like always, as if he’d never been gone.

“Greetings, Lana. You look much healthier than when I saw you off the other day.” he said with a smile.

“Yeah, I’m all healed up now. Thanks. It’s good to see you!” she said. “I’m a bit surprised. I didn’t think I’d be seeing you again so soon...”

“Neither did I. I was content to merely watch your progress from a distance through the gossip stone, but I couldn’t help but overhear the details of the Rito’s plight. I am concerned about them.” he said.

“Yeah, they seem to be in a real bind. I want to help them, and they promised to reward me with the supplies and money I need, so...”

“Right. That is why I called you down here. I think you should take this with you.”

As soon as his words finished, a small pure-white baton appeared in his mouth, giving Lana a start.

“Whoa, where’d that come from?” she asked.

“I keep watch over it, since it will surely be needed by the Hero someday. But I don’t see any harm in letting you borrow it for a bit.” he said. “Allow me to explain. This conductor’s baton is called the Wind Waker, and it has the power to command the wind itself.”

That sounded very familiar to Lana. “Wind Waker? I just heard a story about that from the Rito chieftain.” she said.

“Yes, I know. It is not merely a legend. It is fact. There used to be Wind Wakers in the service of an ancient kingdom. The name not only refers to the individuals themselves, but also to this tool. Please, take it.”

Lana nodded, feeling a little anxious. She reached out a steady hand, and as it approached the mystical baton, she felt a gentle breeze begin to surround her body. It was a very comforting feeling that allayed her worries. Once she took it in her hands, that breeze grew stronger, encircling her for a few brief moments.

“Wow...” she breathed.

“It seems you bear an affinity with it. I thought you might.” King said, sounding satisfied.

“Does that mean I’m a Wind Waker, after all?” Lana asked.

“Given your wind sensibilities and your affinity, perhaps you are. I wonder if that is what I’ve been seeing in you all along...” King said.

“I don’t know... But, if this can control the wind, I suppose I could try to use it. It might help solve the Rito’s problem, right?” Lana said.

“Yes, my thoughts exactly. I am certain that when the time comes, its use will present itself to you.”

“Alright. Thank you.” Lana said. She began to feel awkward again. “So, um... Will you still be hanging around?” she asked.

“Yes. I’d like to continue watching over you as you work, and I’ll also need you to return the Wind Waker when you are finished. So do not fret, this won’t be our last conversation.” he said with a wink.

“Oh, okay... Good.” Lana said, her cheeks flushing a bit. “I’m off, then. I’ll see you again soon!”

Lana waved goodbye to her wooden friend once again, slipping the Wind Waker securely onto her belt. It made its home at her waist, next to her sword. Just carrying it around filled Lana with a great feeling of power and responsibility. She felt even more prepared to assist the Rito, but at the same time, she felt as though she shouldn’t talk about the Wind Waker with anyone. At least, for the moment.

- This is an extremely important artifact, huh... I’m amazed he just gave it to me. He must trust me a lot... I have to live up to that trust. I’ll be sure to use this well.

When Lana returned to the aerie, she was surprised to see Aamali flitting about in a panic. She was frantically flying around each level of the hollow, like she was searching for something.

“Are you okay up there?” Lana called out.

“Huh? Oh, there you are!” Aamali’s reaction was that of surprise and relief. “I’ve been looking all over for you, Lana! Man, you scared me!”

“Huh? What did I do?”

Aamali flew down and landed in front of her. “You weren’t in your room, so I got freaked out and thought you gave us the slip.” she said, rubbing the back of her head.

“That’s a little rude... I wouldn’t just up and leave like that.” Lana said, feeling affronted. “I was just out for a walk, that’s all.”

“Sorry, sorry. I should’ve known better.” Aamali apologized. “So, how are you feeling? All healed up and ready to go?”

Lana flexed for her. “All ready to go. We can leave right now, if you want.”

“That’s perfect! I’ll go get ready! You go up and meet with my dad first. He’s up in his office on the top floor.”

With that, Aamali dashed off to her own quarters on the first floor, next to the chieftain’s room. Lana assumed they kept their homes and offices separate, probably for work reasons. She shrugged and began to climb the stairs that circled around the aerie.

By this time of day, the hollow was a lot more active. Rito came and went from various tunnels and rooms, each looking busier than the last the farther she climbed. Children ran around the walkways, some asking Lana if they could follow her. She had to politely turn them down, and felt bad about it each time. Playing with children was something she’d never really had time for, but always wanted to do. Perhaps someday, she thought.

Once Lana reached the chieftain’s office, she knocked on the doors a few times. Kaneli’s rough voice answered from within.

“Come in.”

Lana did so, shutting the doors behind her. “Good morning, sir.” she greeted.

“Ah, Lana. You seem in much better shape than yesterday. How are you faring?” he asked.

“I’m ready to go now. Aamali asked me to meet with you while she got her stuff together.”

“Oh, you’re about to head out already? How wonderful. In that case, she probably intended for me to grant you protection.”

As if on cue, Aamali swung the doors to the office open, startling the both of them. “Yep, that’s right!” she said.

“Aamali, how many times do I have to tell you to knock...” Kaneli said, sighing.

“Oh, hey. You look all geared up.” Lana observed.

Indeed, Aamali had done much to her simple Rito dress. Along with the muted reds and blues of her clothes, she added silver armor plating on her chest and knees, as well as a diadem adorning her hair. She also carried an impressive-looking hammer on her back. It seemed to have a secondary grip as part of its knuckle guard.

“Father, I’m ready to carry out my duties as attendant to the Great Valoo. Please give Lana and me your blessing before we ascend the mountain.” Aamali said, almost sounding unlike her usual self.

“Of course, dear. Lana, will you join Aamali and kneel before me in the center of the room?” Kaneli asked.

Lana quietly nodded, sensing the weight of what was about to happen. She and Aamali stood in the heart of the Rito crest emblazoned on the floor, each dropping to one knee. They lowered their heads, and listened as Kaneli retrieved something from the back of the room. When he returned and stood before them, his words sounded heavy and sincere.

“Sacred Attendant Aamali, and Lana the voyager. The pair of you are about to make your ascent up the hallowed Dragon Roost Cavern and meet with the Great Valoo. As chieftain of the Rito, I offer you blessings and protection. May your journey be safe with the sacred flames of Valoo at your backs.”

As he spoke, Kaneli shook a feathery staff over each of their shoulders precisely three times. Then, he sprinkled ashes over their hair, and rapped the staff on the floor three more times to finish it off. It felt very ritualistic to Lana, despite her not having a clue what was going on.

“Thank you very much, father. With your blessings and protection, we now ascend Dragon Roost Cavern.” Aamali said.

“Very good. Lana, you may stand up now. I thank you for bearing with us.” Kaneli said.

“Oh, it’s no trouble at all. I am curious, though. What were we doing?” Lana asked, rising to her feet.

“That’s an old Rito rite of protection.” Aamali explained. “Traditionally, we do this whenever someone has to go through the caverns to reach the Great Valoo. We don’t typically do it if we’re just gonna fly up there. Just think of it as wishing for safety and stuff.”

“Oh, I see. That’s really neat.” Lana said, finding herself fascinated.

“By the way, you can shake the ashes out of your hair now, haha.” Aamali said, doing the same herself.

“Alright, I believe that’s enough of the formalities. Be safe, you two. I want to see you both return unharmed, whether you learn anything or not.” Kaneli said.

With that, he embraced his daughter in a close hug, and shook Lana’s hand respectfully. He then guided the two of them to the balcony at the other side of his office, and Lana got her first look at the entrance to Dragon Roost Cavern.

The cavern mouth sat overlooking a serene lake beneath a suspension bridge. It was different from the hot spring, which was heated by the magma underground. These waters seemed quiet and cool, which was an odd contrast to what waited beyond. The bridge led to an impressive mural tucked under the cave’s overhang, depicting fire-breathing lizards dancing around each other. It looked very imposing, and certainly not inviting.

“That’s it, huh?” Lana said.

“Yep. Down there is the start of the climb. You ready for this?” Aamali said.

Lana nodded. “I sure am. Let’s go.”

Kaneli saw the girls off and returned to his office. Together, Lana and Aamali descended from the balcony down a spiraling staircase, letting them off on the bank of the lake. There was another entrance back into the aerie down there, guarded by Rito men who bowed to the pair of them. Aamali waved at them cheerfully as she pulled Lana along toward the bridge.

Lana found herself oddly calm. It actually surprised her how she wasn’t nervous this time. They were surely going to encounter monsters and dangers inside the cavern, but she felt completely prepared to deal with them. This was a different feeling. A new feeling for her.

This wasn’t her first experience adventuring through monster-ridden locales. Her first was with Orca in the Forbidden Woods, and she had been a nervous wreck the entire time. She’d since fought off a large invasion of pirates, tore apart a fortress full of moblins, raced clock and climate through dangerous islands, and slew her worst nightmare on the open sea. Perhaps all of that experience had finally paid off and built an unwavering confidence in her.

- It’s so weird that I’m not scared at all. I want to be happy about that, but I can’t be reckless. I’ve gotta stay on my toes in there.

Lana was ever strict with herself about avoiding complacency and arrogance. With that running through her head, she and Aamali finished crossing the bridge. As they passed under the cavern roof, the sunlight seemed to grow dim, as if they’d left the outside world behind completely. The temperature also drastically changed. It wasn’t as hot as Fire Mountain, but it was still stuffy enough to cause a bit of a sweat.

The mural was up close now, and Lana took a moment to appreciate its beauty. There was detail painted onto every scale, claw, tooth, and flame. It was a little scary, but she liked it.

“Is this a mural of Valoo?” Lana asked.

“It’s a mural of dragons, his kin. It’s not him specifically.” Aamali explained.

“Oh, I read about dragons in a storybook once... I didn’t know they were real.” Lana said. “So Valoo is a dragon? I guess that’s where the island’s name comes from.”

“Took you long enough to realize that, haha! Yeah, he’s a dragon, and he’s huge! He’s also a big dork. You’ll like him.” Aamali winked.

- Wow, for an attendant, she had no issue at all calling her guardian deity a dork...

Lana kept that thought to herself, and together the girls approached the threshold. A trio of large statues blocked their way, standing at attention like guards. The subjects were round, with wide faces and heads lined with spikes. They sat valiantly on pedestals, looking down on the girls with closed eyes covered in moss.

“What are these for?” Lana asked.

“They’re here so the monsters can’t get out of the cavern. They’re pretty heavy, but the two of us should have no problem moving them out of the way.” Aamali told her.

“Okay. I guess we should pull them back into place from the other side, huh...”

“Yep. Let’s get to work!” Aamali said, pumping her fist in the air.

Together, the girls began heaving those heavy statues out of their path. All the while, Lana’s mind began wandering again to the road ahead. She and Aamali were going to climb Dragon Roost Cavern and speak with Valoo to figure out why the winds around the island have gone berserk. She was ready and willing to do this. She wanted to see the Rito get back to life as usual. She looked forward to the smiles on their faces and the joy of helping them.

Yet, something nagged at her heart, tightening up her chest. For the first time, only for a brief moment, she stopped thinking about why she was doing this. She needed the supplies and money they’d promised her. She wasn’t just doing this for their sake. This was an important step in her own journey.

She felt strange, as though that fact had gotten lost or forgotten for a bit. She hoped that was just her imagination, and that this feeling would be gone quickly. And yet, even as they finished pushing the statues aside, it continued to stay in her mind, eating away at her.

- Come on, I can’t get all weird now. I’ve still got so much to do... I have to stay focused...

Trying to banish those thoughts, Lana prepared herself for the cavern climb ahead. She couldn't afford distractions. She knew that.

She knew it, and still, those thoughts continued to hang around all the same.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Here's the next chapter! This one ended up being a bit longer than I intended. The next one will be the last one of the sixth arc. Enjoy!

Chapter Twenty-Six
The Cavern Climb​

Pulling the statues back into place behind themselves, Lana and Aamali effectively barred themselves inside Dragon Roost Cavern. This first room they found themselves in was dimly lit by torches, and covered in pottery and ritualistic carvings. Lana couldn’t guess at the meaning behind them.

Before she could examine the room any further, her heart jumped into her throat and she froze in place. There were bokoblins in the room. Her mind began spinning with memories of the Forsaken Pirates, and she began to worry that their remnants had already tracked her down. However, upon closer examination, they were completely devoid of the tattoos that Jasper’s crew always had inked on their skin.

She let herself breathe in relief. They were just wild bokoblins that happened to live in the cavern. She’d almost forgotten there were plenty of monsters out there that weren’t associated with Jasper at all. She exchanged a nod with Aamali, who had already readied her hammer. The two crept up on the unsuspecting bokoblins, who were too busy fiddling with snacks and jewelry to notice their approach.

In unison, the girls lunged forward. Lana drew her sword in the same motion, quickly stabbing it through the back of the bokoblin’s neck. The feedback riding up through her arm made her wince. At the same time, Aamali brought her hammer down over the second one’s head, crushing its skull and pressing its body into the ground.

Both monsters were dead before they knew what was happening. The girls sheathed their weapons and relaxed their bodies, feeling the relief from an easy victory.

“They’re camping out this close to the entrance, huh...” Aamali wondered aloud. “Goes to show how important it is we keep those statues in place.”

“I see what you mean.” Lana agreed. “Let’s hope there aren’t too many more in our path to the top.”

“I bet there will be. But we’ll be fine! I could tell just now, you know. You’re really skilled! Just like I knew you would be!” she grinned.

Lana felt a bit bashful. “Thanks. You are, too, Aamali. That hammer can’t be light. I’m impressed you can swing it so fast.”

“Aw, shucks... You know how to flatter people, you sweet-talker!” Aamali put her hands on her cheeks and giggled. “Okay, just follow my lead! We keep a good pace, and we’ll reach the top before noon!”

The pair pushed on from the first room in the cavern. One room in and they already had to spill blood. Lana didn’t take that as a good sign. They passed through a large stone door, and the temperature rose even higher as a wave of heat stung at their skin.

A bright red glow flooded their vision, and as they left the safety of the tunnel they’d come in from, the girls stood on the edge of a cliff overlooking a vast basin of lava. A shabby wooden suspension bridge hung over the lake, and it miraculously wasn’t catching on fire. Higher above was a second suspension bridge. Plumes of lava erupted from below, almost reaching to the towering concaved ceiling high above.

It seemed they were already in the interior of the volcano. Lana was beginning to sweat more than before, and Aamali looked to be terribly uncomfortable in that thick coat of feathers.

“Let’s move on quickly. It’s so stuffy in here...” she said, sounding exasperated already.

Lana simply nodded and followed Aamali’s lead. To her surprise, they didn’t make to cross the bridge at all. Lana had thought that to be the obvious way forward.

“We’re not going that way?” she asked.

“Nah, that just loops around back to this room. It’s kind of part of a Rito rite of passage to climb the caverns.” she explained. “We can’t fly until we get a scale from Valoo, so we all come through here on our own when we reach a certain age.”

“Oh. I guess that explains the ritual from earlier...” Lana said.

“Yeah, we use that same rite for the regular pilgrimage, too. But really, it’s for any time we have to come through here.” she said. “For the real thing, you’re not supposed to know where you’re going. It’s kind of like a test of will and stuff.”

As much as she didn’t talk like a typical sacred attendant, Aamali was well-informed on her people’s customs. Lana didn’t initially peg her as the type. She found herself very interested, and decided she’d have to sit down and talk about the subject at length later on.

- I’ll save the fun and intrigue for later. For now... we climb.

The girls quickly passed through the large room, wanting to escape the oppressive heat. Aamali led Lana through another stone door, and once on the other side, it snapped shut, cutting off the hot air. They both sighed, feeling a bit more comfortable now. Lana tugged at her collar and took a few deep breaths, and Aamali shook some sweat out of her hair.

This next room was another small cave lit by torches, but it was also crawling with activity. Sticky splattering sounds echoed through the room, and the girls drew their weapons. On cue, a horde of red chuchus dropped from the ceiling, wobbling their bulbous heads back and forth.

Lana had encountered the green variant of chuchu in the Forbidden Woods. They were incredibly easy to deal with, but there were a lot of them gathered here. They were likely to get surrounded if they hung around to splat them all. Lana signaled to Aamali that they should rush through, and she nodded.

Together, the girls sprinted forward, clearing a path by swatting away the gelatinous mobs. Some splattered against the far wall or got stuck to each other. It was becoming a real mess. Lana heard Aamali groan as they dashed through the sticky pests.

They reached the other side of the room with little trouble and quickly shut the next stone door behind themselves. They stopped to catch their breath after having to sprint like that.

“Man, those things really gross me out...” Aamali said, her face cringing in disgust.

Lana was too awed to listen to her. They were now outside, standing on a cliff overlooking the sea. They were on the edge of the mountain, and far below she could see the docks. It looked incredibly tiny, which made her feel a bit dizzy.

“Man... We’re really high now...” Lana said.

“We’re not even halfway up yet. Hang in there!” Aamali said encouragingly.

Lana took a moment to collect herself, and then followed after Aamali again. They had to cross another suspension bridge, this one hanging over a gap between the outer cliffs. Her first steps on it were very shaky. She began feeling a knot in her throat, unable to avoid thinking about falling.

- Wait, I have my deku leaf. Why should I be afraid of falling?

As if in answer to her inner thoughts, the violent winds returned to harass them once again. The bridge swayed dangerously and the girls clung to the ropes with all their might. Lana’s foot slipped off for a brief moment, and she felt like her heart had stopped from the shock of it.

Fortunately, the winds died down just as quickly as they arrived. The girls sighed in both relief and annoyance before briskly making it the rest of the way across.

“Yeesh, that scared the hell out of me.” Aamali said. “We really need to do something about that darn wind... It’s gonna get someone killed one of these days.”

“Yeah, that someone was almost us...” Lana shuddered.

Without another word, the pair continued on. Their next step was to climb a tall ladder that bridged the way to higher cliffs. They both prayed that the wind would remain calm until they reached the top.

As they scaled the ladder, however, the side of the mountain began to rumble. Suddenly, flames billowed out from the crevices in the wall around the ladder. Lana was so surprised, she almost let go.

“Whoa! Scared me...” she panted.

“No worries. We built the ladder so it’d be safe from the flames.” Aamali assured her.

- I guess this is an active volcano, after all... Who knows when fire’s gonna come bursting out from beneath our feet?

Wanting to tread carefully, Lana ushered Aamali to move faster up the ladder. However, something else happened before they could reach the top. A shadow loomed overhead, followed by shrill screeching and the beating of wings.

“Uh oh, hang on tight, Lana!”

With that warning, Aamali leapt off of the ladder, revealing her wings at the same time. In the air, she came face to face with a helmaroc. It was similar to the one that carried Jasper as he fled from the Forsaken Fortress the other night. Like the bokoblins from earlier, this was a wild one. Of course, that didn’t make it any less dangerous.

Lana was exposed as she clung to the ladder. The helmaroc made a dive for her, extending its talons. Aamali intercepted it with a dive of her own, knocking it for a loop. To Lana’s surprise, Aamali was swinging her hammer around with her legs, using her wings to stay airborne while clutching the knuckle guard with her feet.

- Whoa... That’s one crazy way to fight.

Not wanting to remain an easy target, Lana quickly climbed the rest of the way up the ladder. Now that she was standing on the cliff again, she drew her bow, wanting to provide support to Aamali. The helmaroc had already recovered, and the two airborne duelists were circling each other, watching for sudden movements.

“Heads up!” Lana shouted.

Aamali reacted, stopping her advance. Lana fired a single arrow through that opening, whizzing past Aamali’s head so that it stayed in the helmaroc’s blind spot for as long as possible. Caught by surprise, the beast couldn’t react in time to dodge. The arrow pierced into its chest, and it cried out as it dropped through the air down the side of the mountain.

“Nice shot!” Aamali praised as she quickly landed on the cliff at Lana’s side.

“I’m glad you weren’t hurt.” Lana said with a smile. “Archery is still new to me, so I’m glad that tactic worked out. I wanted to get you back on the ground fast because-”

The fierce winds returned again, cutting off Lana’s words and finishing them for her at the same time.

“... Yeah. Nice call, Lana.” Aamali said wryly. “Let’s hurry inside.”

She didn’t need to say it twice. The girls quickly walked to the next stone door, which was just ahead on the clifftop. It brought them into another dark cave, this one containing a large wall of blocks stacked toward the ceiling. Aamai was already beginning to climb them.

Lana followed suit, finding it difficult to discern the edges in the darkness when all the blocks were the same dark color. They were all etched with an interesting minimalistic design that reminded her of the mural at the cavern’s entrance.

At the top of the pile of blocks was a small opening in the wall that led into another room. Aamali had to crawl on her hands and knees to fit through it. Lana was smaller than she was, so she found it a bit easier. It was a much looser fit than the air vent she crawled through in the Forsaken Fortress once upon a time.

As soon as the girls were through it, though, they each had to leap aside. A bokoblin was waiting for them, and it pounced just as they finished crawling into the room. This one had blue skin, which ranked it higher in the bokoblin pecking order, according to the monster books Lana once read. It brandished a machete and hungrily licked its chops.

Before it could move again, Aamali was already rushing on it. She drew her hammer into a swing with a spin, and the brute barely had time to block the strike. It was pushed back toward the wall in the narrow space, staggering to a stop.

Lana stayed low to the ground as she drew her sword and moved in for a strike of her own. It parried her, but not easily. It was beginning to fall off balance, so Lana tried a leg sweep next. The brute tilted backwards, swinging its blade in desperation. Aamali leapt into the air, and Lana knelt down so she could jump again off her shoulders.

Safely above the bokoblin’s reach, Aamali came plummeting down from above, smashing her hammer down with her. The beast was wedged into the ground in a pool of blood. It was a bit too much for Lana’s eyes, so she quickly turned away and sheathed her sword.

“Whew. Nice teamwork, Lana! ... You okay?” Aamali asked.

“I’m fine. I just don’t like gore.” she said.

“Ah, I understand. Do you need a moment?”

“No, I’m good to go.”

“Okay. Tell me if you change your mind.”

With a pat on the shoulder, Aamali began leading the way again. Lana was a little caught off-guard by how accommodating she was being. Perhaps she was too used to Orca’s devil-may-care attitude and Emilia’s downtalking. It felt reassuring to be fighting with a companion that didn’t judge her squeamishness.

The next stone door was at the end of the room, up another ladder. Lana could feel that they were climbing higher and higher. She wondered if they were close to the halfway point yet. Beyond that door, the sky opened out before her eyes again.

The height at this point was a little disorienting. The clouds above looked closer than ever before, and she didn’t even want to know if she could still see the base of the island from there. The frenzied winds were still whipping around in full force, which made it difficult for them to advance without clinging to the mountain.

Their next path forward was a stone staircase jutting out of the side of the mountain. It was dangerously steep, and Lana could barely see the next cliff it reached up to. To make matters worse, there were some steps missing here and there, leaving gaps that had to be crossed by jumping.

“This... really does not look safe.” Lana remarked.

“Yeah... Normally it’d be fine, but the winds are gonna make this a problem. You’d better hold on tight to me, got it?” Aamali said.

Lana nodded, and couldn’t hold back a nervous swallow. After taking Aamali’s feathery hand, they began ascending the stairs as quickly as caution allowed. They practically pressed their bodies against the mountain’s side, trying to be as flat as they could so the wind would have less of them to push around. For the most part, it was working.

And then they arrived at the first gap. After nodding reassuringly, Aamali was the first to cross it. With a graceful leap, she landed on the next step and stretched her hand back for Lana to grab again. Lana swallowed her nerves again, and finally jumped.

Of course, at the very moment her feet left the ground, her skin pricked up. Too little, too late. The winds returned, more ferocious than usual. They pushed Lana down, away from Aamali and the stairs. In a single moment, she was in open air.

“LANA!” Aamali shouted.

The terror on her face was palpable. Lana’s chest tightened painfully and her head began to feel fuzzy. She was about to fall to her death from an unimaginable height. What a way to go out. Except, she still had her deku leaf to fall back on.

Her arms moving faster than she could think, Lana snatched the edges of her shawl and opened it as wide as she could. It caught the wind and sent her hurtling upward. Her fingers almost slipped free from the intensity.

After being jerked around in a few different directions by the airflow, she finally found her feet dangling above the next clifftop. She closed her arms bit by bit to descend, and the winds finally began to die down. She started to feel safe, but only for a moment, as another helmaroc appeared before her.

“Oh, give me a break, already!” she whined aloud.

Just her luck that this cliff happened to have a helmaroc nest. Out of the corner of her eye, she could see Aamali dashing up the stairs, her hand resting on her hammer’s grip. In that second, Lana found herself thinking that she couldn’t risk letting Aamali take to the air again.

Her head was still pounding from the freefall earlier, and she recognized this feeling as the one she got from her temporal rushes before. Trying to reclaim that sensation again, she let go of her deku leaf. Just like before, her heart felt like it was being squeezed and time seemed to slow before her eyes. She used this opportunity to nock another arrow and fire.

The helmaroc was plummeting down the cliff with an arrow in its eye before Lana’s feet touched down. Aamali arrived at the cliff, completely out of breath and in shock.

“Lana... Wha... How did you...” she said between breaths.

“Yeah, I should have told you earlier...” Lana said, twirling her hair around her finger. “I kind of have a magic leaf from the Forest Haven that lets me fly. Sorry for scaring you.”

After a few more bewildered moments of panting, Aamali leapt forward and embraced Lana.

“Jeez, you scared me half to death! I thought I’d lost you! And then you just start flying! Can you imagine how I felt seeing that? And then you shoot that helmaroc super fast from midair! What the heck are you, anyway? Some kind of genius? You’re amazing!”

Lana finally pulled herself away from her frazzled companion. “Alright, enough already! You’re embarrassing me...” she said. “Your praise is a bit much...”

“I don’t think it is! You just keep surprising me, Lana! I’m so glad you’re okay!” she said, grinning ear to ear. “Let’s get inside quick before those winds start up again.”

“Yeah, let’s.” Lana agreed.

- When was the last time someone praised me like that? My cheeks are burning. I hope I’m not blushing...

Feeling awkward from that outburst of emotion, Lana shook her head to recollect her thoughts. They were before the next stone door now, so it was time to continue the climb. After they passed through it, all light was abruptly snuffed out. They were in pitch darkness. Lana couldn’t see an inch in front of her face.

“Lana, take my hand. Rito eyes are attuned to the dark, so stick close to me.” Aamali’s voice said.

“Okay, thank you.”

She did as asked, her fingers once again tickled by Aamali’s feathers. She felt her arm being tugged forward, and trusted her guide to lead her well. She found it difficult to avoid tripping over her own feet. She suddenly recalled Orca telling her that good fighters had to have good spatial awareness, so she thought this would make a good opportunity to practice more of that.

- This will probably be a better lesson than hanging upside down by a rope, at least.

The memory of that ridiculous training exercise left her feeling momentarily bitter, but she squeezed her eyes shut and refocused her mind. She relied on her sense of touch and her hearing to tell her what was around her.

The echoes of her footsteps made her believe they were walking through a narrow tunnel. She could hear Aamali’s steady breathing and feel her warmth through her hand. Her body seemed tense and alert, as if on the lookout for danger. Then a new sound presented itself to Lana’s ears. The fluttering of wings.

She could feel the airflow in the room change. Lana quickly swung her fist behind herself, and it made contact with something. That thing fell to the ground with a thud.

“Wha? Oh, jeez, it’s a keese!” Aamali’s voice called out. “Come on, there’s a lot more of them! We’ve gotta run!”

The tugging on her arm increased, and Lana almost tripped again as she moved to keep up with Aamali’s speed. She could hear a cacophony of squeaks and shrieks and flapping wings following after them. Being chased in total darkness was incredibly unnerving.

It wasn’t long until they reached the next door. Aamali shoved it open and closed it behind them just as fast. They were safe from the keese in the next room. Lana’s eyes took a moment to readjust to the light.

The temperature changed dramatically once again. They were back in that primary cavern again, the one with the lava lake. This time they were at the foot of the high bridge they’d seen from down below. Even though they were so far above the lava, it was still just as suffocatingly hot.

However, the heat wasn’t their only problem. There was a moblin standing at attention on the bridge, because of course there was. He looked down on them with an awfully smug expression. Perhaps he considered himself the master of the bridge, and he wasn’t going to let them cross easily. He brandished a spear and spoke monsterese, and to Lana, it sounded as if he were saying “Come at me”.

Aamali readied her hammer, but she didn’t look like she wanted to fight on that rickety suspension bridge over a lava lake. Lana’s eyes darted around the room, and they settled on something growing on the corner of the ledge. A bomb flower.

The wheels spun in Lana’s head for a moment. Just for a moment. She made her decision quickly.

“Cover your ears, Aamali.” she advised as she started to move.

“Huh? Whoa, hey-!”

It was too late to be stopped. Lana dashed over and plucked the bomb flower from its stem. Already, its fuse was lit and a sulfurous stench filled her nose. She held her breath and sprinted toward the bridge, and then threw the bomb flower with all her might.

The moblin’s jaw dropped, and in that short instant before the explosion, its eyes met with Lana’s. It seemed to regret provoking her from the bottom of its heart.

BLAM!

An ear-shattering explosion shook the air, splintering the bridge to pieces and sending the moblin plummeting down to its death in the lava lake below. Their obstacle had been removed rather destructively. And since they could both fly over the gap, they were none worse off.

That was how Lana saw it, anyway. Aamali, on the other hand, was utterly dumbfounded.

“What the heck was that, Lana?! Who just plucks a bomb flower and throws it at something like that? How many times do you plan to scare the hell out of me today?!” she said.

“Well, it was better than fighting on that bridge, right? Come on, we can just fly over.” Lana pointed out.

“Jeez, and my dad calls me reckless... You sure can be scary when you wanna be.” she said.

- ... That’s the first time anyone’s ever called me scary.

Lana didn’t know how to feel about that. Quietly, she and Aamali floated across the gap to the ledge on the other side of the room. Once again, they were met with another stone door. She wondered how many more of these they had ahead of them.

The next room was much cooler, and was thankfully brightened up by torchlight. However, there were a small few bokoblins hanging around in it, and the girls were spotted as soon as they entered. They were green ones, so they were relatively easy to deal with.

They wielded wooden clubs while Lana and Aamali wielded steel. The match wasn’t particularly fair. A few slashes and the wood was just as broken as their bodies; or crushed, in Aamali’s case. Three dead bokoblins laid before the pair in no time.

Before Aamali led Lana to the next room, she took a quick look around. There seemed to be food and drink laid out on tables, and the walls were surrounded by more of the same pottery from the first room. It seemed like this spot was the monster’s stash room.

- They’re just doing whatever they want with the cavern, huh...

Thinking as much, Lana and Aamali climbed a ladder into a loft overhead. From there, they were able to enter the next room. The sweltering heat returned in full force, and they were met with billowing flames and lava once again.

The only way forward Lana could see was to parkour around the edge of the room and climb to the wooden decks above the lava. But with the fire spouting everywhere, that would be difficult. Lana spent a moment studying the flames, trying to learn their timing.

As she did, Aamali came out from the previous room carrying a large jug. Lana had been so absorbed, she hadn’t even noticed she’d been gone.

“What’s that for?” she asked.

“Just watch.” Aamali winked.

With a great heave, she tossed the jug over the lava. It shattered when it came in contact with the heat, dispersing a large sum of water. The lava hardened up before their eyes, but it was clear this was only a temporary measure. The remaining magma surrounding it had already begun heating it back up.

“Come on, we gotta hurry!” Aamali said.

She sprinted forward, leaping over the lava onto a small ledge on the wall. Still moving fast on her feet, she sidled forward and leapt up to another edge on the adjacent wall. She hauled herself up and jumped again, this time kicking off the wall. She reached out and grabbed the edge of the wooden platform above, and swung herself up top.

Lana only had to see her do it once to replicate it. She lost her footing just once, and only for a moment. By the time the lava was fully active again, she had joined up with Aamali on the deck overlooking that small pool of magma below.

“Wow, nice moves! You’re a natural.” Aamali said.

“Thanks. Where exactly did you get a jug full of water, anyway?” Lana asked.

“That previous room is kind of like a rest stop, and it’s also a store room. Even if the monsters kind of took it over...” she said. “We keep lots of water in there, both for people climbing the cavern and so we can use it like this. Handy, right?”

“I’ll say.” Lana said, feeling impressed by the Rito’s foresight.

“Right! Well, let’s move! We’re almost to the top now!”

Those words reinvigorated Lana. The prospect of reaching their destination soon filled her with energy and vigor. It wouldn’t be much longer now. She followed closely behind Aamali as they passed through another stone door.

When they entered the next room, Lana found herself in awe once more. The room was huge, though not as huge as the main cavern from earlier. What made it impressive were the intricate carvings on the walls and the large staircase leading to a massive crested door. It was the kind of room that made her feel like she shouldn’t speak. It was filled with a solemn atmosphere that made her feel anxious.

“This room leads to a prayer chamber beneath the Great Valoo’s throne.” Aamali explained, as if she felt none of the same pressure Lana was feeling. “When we have an especially prosperous year, the entire tribe comes up here to pray and give thanks.”

“That’s really cool... I bet that must be quite a sight.” Lana said.

“Yeah, but it’s formal as all get-out, so I can’t say I like it much.”

- ... Some sacred attendant...

Lana was continually puzzled by Aamali’s attitude. She couldn’t tell if she took her position seriously or not.

“So are we going in there, then?” she asked.

“Nope, we’re going straight to the summit. That’s the only way to speak with him. Come on, now, one last stretch!”

Aamali led her to another rather impressive door, this one on their side of the room. Working together, they pushed the great stone door open, and took in the crisp outside air as it closed behind them.

At first, Lana found it a bit difficult to breathe. She wasn’t quite used to the high altitude. Aamali didn’t seem to have any issues herself. As she looked out at the horizon, she noticed they were now above the clouds. She recalled first arriving on the island and staring up at the mountain from the shore, unable to see the top at all. Now she was there. She thought this had to be the highest point on the entire Great Sea.

Unfortunately, she didn’t have time to stand there and gawk all day. Aamali was already moving on, like usual. Lana increased her pace to catch up with her. They came upon another stone staircase snaking around the edge of the mountain, however this one was in much better shape with no gaps.

Lana also noticed that the winds seemed relatively calm at this height. Perhaps it was the altitude, or perhaps it was their proximity to the Great Spirit. She couldn’t be sure, but she informed Aamali of what she felt all the same.

“I don’t think we need to worry about sudden gales this time. The wind feels really gentle at this height.”

“That’s a relief.” Aamali said. “We just have to climb these stairs, and we’re there. Make sure you prepare yourself. You’re about to meet with the Great Valoo, Lana!”

Nodding nervously, Lana took a deep breath. It was almost time to get to the bottom of the mysteriously fierce winds plaguing the island. She was going to do this for the Rito, so they could get back to their normal lives. And she also had to remind herself once again that she was doing this to get supplies for her journey.

And so, Lana took those first steps up the stairs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom