• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ride the Winds!

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
The wait is over at last! Time for a new chapter! Enjoy this one, as things are about to pick up. :eek:

Chapter Seven
Seafarers Swap Stories​

- Can’t breathe.

Lana felt smothered. Something was preventing her from taking in any air. Her eyes were glued shut. She couldn’t open them to see what the problem was. Her whole body felt squished, like she was enclosed in something heavy and thick. She flailed her arms around, and that’s when she felt the cold chill of the water.

- Sinking?!

She tried to open her mouth, and seawater flooded in. A repulsive salty taste came with it. No oxygen could reach her lungs. Her whole body writhed and struggled to swim upward, where she thought she could reach the surface. And then something huge wrapped around her stomach. It was slimy and wet and squeezed like a vice, choking whatever air was left right out of her.

Lana was finally able to open her eyes, and she peered down below to see what it was. A massive tentacle had wormed its way around her, tangling her chest and arms and legs in its grip. Below, in the darkest depths, she saw many glowing eyes, hungrily awaiting her arrival as she was dragged further and further down.

- No! Stop! Let go!

“NO!”

Lana yelled as loud as she could, and rolled off her cot as she jolted awake. She hit her head on the wooden planks that made up the floor of her cabin inside The Sleeping Gull. She moaned as she rose up and rubbed her throbbing head. She glanced around, and when she realized she was not being pulled to her death under the sea, she finally relaxed.

- Ugh... That stupid nightmare again.

Frantic footsteps sped down the stairs from the deck, and Lenzo swung open the door to her cabin in a hurry. “Lana! What happened? Are you hurt?” he asked.

“Sorry. I had a nightmare, is all. I’m okay.” she answered.

“I see.” After a short, awkward pause, Lenzo rubbed the back of his neck. “Okay, then. I’m glad you’re not hurt. I’ll be going back up to the deck.”

After he took his leave, Lana took a moment to sort herself out. There was a small mirror on the wall in her cabin, and she examined her appearance. She looked like she’d been chewed up by the seahat. Her hair was a frayed mess and her sleeping clothes were tousled. She noticed bags under her eyes, as well.

- Lovely. Man, I really can’t take much more of that dumb dream...

Lana sighed and grabbed a brush to fix her hair. There would be no going back to sleep after that nightmare, just like every time she had it. She decided to get dressed, and changed back into the clothes she’d gotten from Emilia. After a quick yawn, she headed up to the deck.

The moon overhead was still fairly low. Night had only fallen three hours ago, it seemed. A chilly breeze was blowing through her hair as she looked around the deck. Lenzo was standing by the railing, and he looked surprised to see that Lana had come up.

“Oh! Are you sure you should be up here? It’s still my turn to keep watch for another few hours.” he said.

“It’s fine. I doubt I’m gonna sleep the rest of the night, anyway.” she said, giving him an assuring smile.

Lana looked up to the stars, and understood their position right away. She checked the wind, and confirmed they were still following it in the right direction. When she felt satisfied with that knowledge, she joined Lenzo at the railing.

Neither of them said anything for a while. They simply gazed out to sea. The water was dark, almost a reflection of the sky above. It was fairly calm that night, but there were still a few odd waves around. Gray clouds illuminated by the moon lazily passed by. It was quiet and peaceful, and it made Lana feel safe and at ease.

However, Lana could tell Lenzo was getting fidgety. He didn’t seem the type who could handle silence well. He kept looking from the sea, to her, and back and forth again. At last, he cleared his throat.

“So, uh... You had a nightmare, huh?” he asked.

- Right to the point, huh.

“Yeah. It’s a recurring dream I’ve been getting for years. It really sucks.” she said.

“Mind if I asked what it’s about? It’s just... That was a really loud scream. I’m a little curious... But if you don’t want me to pry, I won’t.”

“It’s alright.” she said. “It’s a nightmare about being dragged to the bottom of the sea and being eaten alive by a big octo.”

“... Goodness.” Lenzo said. “What started this?”

“Some jerk back home told me a really vivid story about big octos once and it scared me so bad I started seeing them in my dreams.” she said.

The image of her childhood bully Renny flashed in her mind and she frowned. Big octos were gigantic sea monsters with long, slimy tentacles for grabbing and choking prey. They often had several eyes dotted across their face, and a beak for ripping and tearing through flesh. They were a menace to ships on the open sea, as they had the strength to pull massive galleons apart with those tentacles. Renny had told her such a story in excruciating detail when they were younger. What’s more, as if it were the cherry on top of a monster cake, their appearances were always heralded by a sudden flock of seagulls on open water. Lana’s favorite bird, of course.

“Oh, that’s awful.”

“Yeah. It’s bad enough that I dream about drowning a lot ever since I almost drowned as a little kid, but after I heard that story, I’ve had to deal with the big octo one all the time, too.”

“That’s unfortunate... You know, I almost expected you to tell me you were dreaming about the monsters in the Forsaken Fortress that captured you.” Lenzo remarked.

- Ugh, why did he say that? Next I’ll be dreaming about those things feeding me to a big octo, I bet. Give me a break...

Lenzo noticed Lana’s displeasure, and quickly cleared his throat. “Yes, well, I must say I’m impressed you still want to be a voyager after going through all of that. I’d think you’d be terrified of going out to sea now.”

“Yeah, my dad said something like that once. I think it was after I almost drowned. I fell over the side of his dinghy during a squall and he thought I was gone forever, but then I ended up on the beach back home, or so he says. The only thing I can remember about that day is seeing a red boat as I was sinking. Anyway, dad said my eyes looked too bright to be discouraged from going back out there.”

“How interesting. A red boat, huh? You don’t see many boats of that color, even in Windfall’s port. I’d sure like to get a pictograph of a unique boat like that.”

Lenzo’s eyes began to light up again. Now that pictographs were back in his head, he was going to be off in his own world any minute. Lana sighed and slumped over the railing, feeling their conversation die right then and there. As Lenzo went higher into the clouds, she gazed out to sea and let the wind play with her hair.

Then, she noticed a black lump on the horizon. A familiar black lump. Lana felt her gut twist up, and she looked up to the stars to confirm her suspicions. Her skin clammed up and she began to feel like she had to desperately crawl into the darkest corner of the ship.

Lenzo, despite being on cloud nine in his own head, was able to notice Lana’s reaction. “What’s wrong? Did we drift off course?” he asked.

Lana bit her lip. “No, it’s not that... We’re passing by Greatfish Isle...” she said quietly.

Lenzo followed her gaze and saw the island’s silhouette on the horizon. “Oh, that’s Greatfish? Yeah, we did need to pass it in order to get to Diamond Steppe Island, but... Wait, that’s your home, isn’t it?”

Lana didn’t say anything. She just nodded.

Lenzo looked from her, to the island, and back. He seemed confused by Lana’s unease.“... Do you want to stop there for the night?” he asked.

Lana furiously shook her head, which gave Lenzo a start. “No! Absolutely not! We are not stopping there!” she said.

The pit in her gut that reminded her of her failed departure rose up again. Her throat felt as if it had closed up, and she had a hard time swallowing. Her parents appeared in her mind, with their worried faces. Renny and the rest’s sneering faces did, too. She could almost hear their laughter and mockery. What’s more, she once again felt like she was erasing all of her progress thus far by going further south than where she started. She wasn’t even sure if she could call how she got to Windfall progress in the first place, which made her feel even worse about it. She never expected to feel that way about her home, and she hated it.

“... You don’t look very happy to see your home right now.” Lenzo said.

“Well, when I left, I thought I would never be coming back.” Lana said. "I thought I’d go on a spectacular voyage to my ancestral home, stopping at islands here and there along the way. I didn’t expect to get captured by pirates right as soon as leaving, and I didn’t expect to be passing by my home again like this. If we stop there, of course they’d ask me why I came back so soon, and if I tell them...”

Lenzo could tell Lana was very pained at the thought. He nodded and said, “I see. I can empathize with that. I have similar feelings about Windfall’s folks.”

“Oh, yeah? I guess that shouldn’t surprise me, considering the reception I got from them.” she said. “I take it you don’t like them very much, either?”

“That’s putting it mildly. You told me a story about yourself, so would you like to listen to one of mine?” he asked.

- Lenzo wanting to talk about more than just pictographs? Now he's got me curious.

“Sure. Let’s hear it.” Lana said, turning to face him a bit more.

Lenzo turned toward her, as well. “Very well. I said before that the people of Windfall are self-absorbed, but to be honest, it’s worse than that. They’re willfully blind.”

“What do you mean?”

“WIndfall is the largest and most prosperous city on the Great Sea. And its people never like to forget it. In fact, they go out of their way to make sure no one forgets it. Everyone wants to believe that Windfall is perfect and without troubles, so if any troubles do come up, they get collectively swept under the rug. That’s what almost happened to you. It’s become a group mentality, steeped into the island’s very culture.

“I remember when I was a little boy, a castaway washed up on the shores of the island. He looked like he used to be a pirate. I never did learn his name. Well, he was in rags and had no money, and he was starving. He ran around town begging people to feed him. But no one did. They all wanted to pretend he didn’t exist, because if they acknowledged the existence of a beggar, that would have to mean admitting Windfall wasn’t a perfect place. Or at least, that’s how I saw it in retrospect.

“Well, one day, that castaway couldn’t take the hunger anymore and tried to steal food. He was caught, and the townspeople locked him up in the prison. It was a community arrest. The entire town agreed he should be thrown in that jail, and then they forgot all about him. He was out of sight, and so he fell out of mind. And of course, he ended up starving to death in that cell.”

Lana gulped. She considered her own situation, and how that could have easily been her if Lenzo hadn’t found her.

“So, that’s how the people of Windfall handle their problems. They sweep them out of sight until they go away. And it cost that man his life. I’ve never forgotten it, and that’s why I want to open their eyes with my pictographs of the outside world so badly. I really believe that if they see that Windfall isn’t the only wonder of the world, they’ll start paying attention to more than just themselves. Maybe, somehow that will make a difference someday. I hope.”

When Lenzo finished talking, Lana quietly mulled over everything he’d said. She remembered how Oshus had told her it wasn’t just monsters that made the Great Sea dangerous. She was certain he was referring to people like them. People who turn away from the reality in front of them to keep things convenient and perfect. She couldn’t believe people like that existed.

Then again, the world was a lot bigger than what she knew on Greatfish. She had hoped to find a sea full of friendly people willing to help her on her voyage. She wanted to believe Greatfish’s selfish and mean-spirited folks weren’t the standard, but her experience on Windfall taught her not to have such expectations. Emilia had warned her about that, as well. She began to feel foolish for hoping to meet good people.

- I guess that’s what happens when you live a cushy life for so long, huh? How awful. And that poor man had to die for it, whoever he was.

Lenzo let out a nervous laugh and grubbed the back of his neck again. “Uh, sorry... I guess that was a pretty morbid story.”

“It’s alright. I’m glad you told me.” Lana said, giving him a cheery smile. “I really hope your pictographs show them there’s more out there than what’s in front of them.”

“I hope so, too. Thank you.” Lenzo said.

The two of them went quiet once more, going back to simply watching the waves pass by. Lana took this time to reflect on what she had learned about Lenzo.

He was a very passionate and driven person, as well as extremely excitable and disorganized. However, he had a pure intention behind his actions. He even gave her food and shelter, as well as a job. He really seemed to be doing his best to make a difference for others, to make up for the cold indifference of Windfall’s people. She thought maybe it wasn’t foolish to have hopes that people would be good after all, just that it was perhaps best not to place everything she had on them. There were always exceptions out there, and she hoped to meet more of them.

- For however many bad people there are, I’m glad there are people like him out there, too.

“Why don’t you go down and get some sleep now?” Lana said. “I won’t be sleeping the rest of the night, so take this chance for some rest. I’ll wake you when we reach Diamond Steppe.”

“Are you sure? I couldn't...”

Lana simply gave him a sweet, encouraging smile. He rubbed the back of his neck once again, something he seemed to do when he felt embarrassed. At last, he breathed out a thank you and headed down. Lana embraced the following quiet and enjoyed the cool wind and sea air as the Gull sailed on through the night.

- Get some rest, Lenzo. Let me handle this watch for you.

Just as she promised, Lana had woken Lenzo when the silhouette of Diamond Steppe appeared on the horizon. The waxing gibbous moon was much higher in the sky by then, past its midpoint. Lana estimated it was after one in the morning. She was beginning to feel the effects of a sleepless night once again, but Lenzo was full of energy. It was almost like his excitement gave him fuel. The extra rest probably didn’t hurt, either.

The first thing Lana noted about Diamond Steppe was its shape. On the map, it looked like the diamond symbol she’d seen on playing cards. Naturally, she assumed that’s where it got its name. However, seeing it in person, she felt it was odd. It truly was shaped that way, almost too perfectly. It was also entirely made of plateaus, high above the water. There was no place for them to make landfall. Something about it seemed weirdly... intentional.

“I guess we’ll just have to weigh anchor here and keep our eyes peeled for that ghost ship of yours.” Lana said.

“Right you are! Oh, I sure hope we see it soon!” Lenzo said, his pictobox already at his eyes.

Lana allowed Lenzo to flit about the deck in his excitement while she kept a weather eye on the seas. She didn’t believe for a second that things like ghost ships existed, but she felt it would be rude to not do her part in the search nonetheless.

- I have no idea what to look for, though. I guess I’ll just keep an eye our for any ships at all.

Two hours passed by without any such sightings. For Lana it was quick and dull, but for Lenzo it was long and painful. It seemed there was a limit even to his enthusiasm. The moon was falling lower and lower in the sky all the while. It would be morning soon enough. Lana didn’t expect ghosts to come out in daylight, if they were real. Part of her hoped this was just a wild cucco chase, but another part hoped it wasn’t because she feared Lenzo may want to stay around and search for days. They had enough food stocked for a week, but that would surely prove to be excruciatingly boring.

When something finally happened, it wasn’t the good kind of something. Lana felt a change in the wind. The way it touched her skin began to feel damp, with a faint sting. She knew what that meant immediately.

“Hey, Lenzo, there’s going to be a storm soon! We should get indoors.” Lana called out.

Lenzo didn’t look happy to hear that. “We won’t be able to see anything in a storm... Was tonight no good after all? Or did we just not get here on time? Perhaps tomorrow night...” he began to mutter.

Lana’s shoulders sank upon hearing that. She tried her best not to make a face, but she was really not looking forward to the next few days. The pair of them started off toward the cabins below deck.

And then a chill like nothing she’d ever experienced before hit Lana dead on.

She almost collapsed right there on the deck. An utterly suffocating chill shot down her spine. Her skin turned as cold as ice. There was something new in the wind now; something evil. Lenzo seemed to feel it, too, as he stopped dead in his tracks and started to shiver.

“Hey, is it just me, or...” his voice trailed off as he turned around.

It was like a spark went off in Lana's head. A spark that told her to run as far as she could. It zapped her brain and got her gears spinning in overdrive. She took that instinctual warning to heart, and turned to raise the anchor.

She saw it.

She felt as if all her blood had been drained right out of her veins. Her common sense told her what she was seeing was impossible, but it was right there in front of her eyes. She wanted to scream, but no sound came out. Something heavy and malevolent was bearing down on her, clamping her mouth shut. She couldn’t take another step toward the anchor. She stared, and her eyes took in everything there was to see.

Eerie blue fire licked at the waves, but it didn’t go out. A shrill wind surrounded the vessel, and its rotted, creaking boards shuddered with each swell of the water. The mast was in severe disrepair, and the sails were unusably tattered and torn. Holes were strewn all over the hull, yet somehow it stayed afloat. There was not a soul to be seen on board, but it seemed perfectly well-manned all the same.

“Th... The...” was all Lana could get out.

And then, the storm hit with a sharp flash of lightning.

- Can’t breathe.

Echolight

❤️ love yourself ❤️
ZD Champion
Wow.

That story about the beggar was so sad, if I was there I would break him out of there and save him. I really don’t like those people on that island lol.

Oooohh ghost ship! Ghost ship! Can’t wait to see what happens! Great writing as always! :)

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Here we are! This chapter was a challenge for me to write. I haven't written anything quite like this before. This story has been a really refreshing change of pace overall. I hope you guys enjoy reading this one, and I hope it is able to impress on you how Lana feels throughout the whole event.

Chapter Eight
Everything’s Awful Again​

A kind of maniacal laughter rang through Lana’s ears as she came to. She felt soaked through her clothes, and her head was very heavy and dizzy. As she gained her bearings, she looked up to see that Lenzo was the one laughing, to her bewilderment.

He sounded very unhinged. His eyes were bloodshot, and he was also soaking wet. He was gripping a pictograph in his hands tightly, and staring at it as he laughed in an eerily joyful way. Strands of his hair stuck in uneven clumps to his forehead, which only served to make him appear even more unstable.

“Lenzo? What’s... Oh. Oh no.”

Lana finally pulled it together enough to understand their situation. They were laying on a large, flat chunk of wood. Half of it was dipping under the sea’s surface. On Lenzo’s right side sat a satchel. A single oar rested on his left. That was all that remained of The Sleeping Gull. Nothing else of the ship could be seen.

Lana almost choked from the shock. The lump in her throat wouldn’t allow her to breathe for what felt like a solid minute. She kept rubbing her eyes, expecting this to be a dream or some kind of hallucination. Alas, no matter how hard she tried to deny the reality in front of her, the truth burned forcefully into her eyes. Their ship was wrecked, almost certainly because of the storm that brewed when the ghost ship appeared.

“Oh no... Lenzo, we...” she began.

“Lana!” he shouted. “Look at this! You see? You see?” he said, shoving the pictograph in her face.

Lana puzzled at it for a moment, and when she realized what it was a pictograph of, she doubled back and felt a chill worm its way up her spine.

“You see?” Lenzo shouted again. “It’s the ghost ship! It turned up in the film! That means it was real! It wasn’t a figment of our imagination! It actually existed! This pictograph is the proof! I got proof! I-”

“Lenzo!” Lana yelled. “Do you see the situation we’re in right now?!”

“It was real! I got proof! My pictograph is proof! If I can just take this home to Windfall, they’ll see! They’ll all see! Hahahaha!”

It was no use. He was in shock. Lana gave up trying to talk to him, and sat on the boards that kept them barely above the cold waters of the Great Sea. She looked around, and to her despair, she could see no other driftwood from the Gull. What they had was all they had. They were far out on open water with no way to return to the safety of land.

- What are we supposed to do now?

Lana felt sick to her stomach. Her tears came flowing out again. She was very unpleasantly reminded of how she felt being a captive in the Forsaken Fortress. There didn’t seem to be any way out of this situation. She felt something sharp rising up in her gut. Her throat stung, and she crawled to the edge of the boards and hurled into the sea.

After getting that out of her system and wiping her mouth and eyes, she stared blankly out across the waters. Her thoughts were in a daze. She thought about her parents again, of course. She wished once again she had just stayed put on Greatfish. Then she thought about Emilia and how right she was to mock her ineptitude. Before long, however, those thoughts all sunk away into pure despair as the gravity of the situation began feeling more and more real. This wasn’t like the Forsaken Fortress. This time, there really was no way out. All she could think about was how dead they were going to be.

- This is hopeless. We’re either going to drown or stave out here. That’s how I’m going to die? Seriously? After everything that’s happened, that’s how it ends? You’ve gotta be kidding me...

Lana became angry and slammed her fist on the water. She got splashed in the face for her trouble. She shook her head and scowled at the ocean. It felt as though the sea itself was mocking her now.

- I can’t believe this is happening again! Why? What is wrong with me? Did I do something wrong? Why can’t I sail anywhere without getting into this... This...

“Ugh!” she shouted. “Why me?! Why is it always me? Why can’t things just go right for once? I’m so sick of this! I hate this! What am I supposed to do? Ugh!”

She had to stop screaming to catch her breath. She stared at the ocean again through tear-clouded eyes. It was quiet, very quiet. Even Lenzo had gone quiet. Her thoughts returned to her family once again. She wondered what they would be able to tell her about this. She thought about Emilia again, as well. Oshus came to mind, as did some random faces on Windfall. As she sat there panting, it dawned on her that she wasn’t going to get an answer. Not from the sea, not from Lenzo, not from the random faces in her mind, not from anything or anyone but herself.

She wasn’t going to get help from anyone. It was all up to her. It always had been, whether it was this, the Forsaken Fortress, or even before that. She was always the one who solved her own problems. She was always the one who had to help herself, and this wasn’t going to be any different. So, what point was there to sitting around doing nothing? They weren’t going to be miraculously rescued. This was all on her, and what she could do in the moment.

- Fine, I’ll do it, then! I’ll find an answer to this, too. I’ll figure it out! Or I’ll die. I’ll probably die. But I’ll figure it out, anyway!

Lana clenched her fists and gave the sea one last smack before she stood up. The boards wobbled a bit, but they held her full weight. She looked around and began to assess the situation in full.

They were in fact stranded on the wreckage of The Sleeping Gull. Lana deduced the boards they were floating on were once part of its deck. She was surprised that such a large chunk of it stayed together. There were no masts to be seen, so she figured they’d sunk along with the sails. They only had the one oar next to Lenzo. That was going to have to be good enough.

Next, Lana examined the bag that had survived with them. It was Lenzo’s pictobox satchel. It held his pictobox and the other pictographs he’d taken that day. That was it. No food or water to be found inside it.

- Did he seriously save his pictobox over the food supplies? Give me a break...

Lana sighed, and began to examine the bag itself. The outside was soaking wet from having been exposed to the water and sea spray, but the inside was completely dry. After feeling over the surface, she realized it was made from waterproofed leather.

- If it rains, we can use this to catch some drinking water. Maybe it could even be used as a makeshift fishing net, if we’re lucky to get any fish swimming close enough. Not that we’d be able to cook them, anyway...

She set it down back next to Lenzo where she found it. He didn’t seem to react to the fact that she had touched his precious pictobox satchel, but she was too busy thinking to pay that any mind. She had gone through everything they had left of the Gull, so next she had to figure out where they were on the Great Sea.

The sun had risen very recently, which gave her plenty of light to work with. She looked around the horizon, and she was certain she could barely make out Diamond Steppe’s silhouette to the northwest. They must have floated along the current to the southeast. Lana opened the sea chart she’d memorized in her head, and sought out the closest inhabited island to their current position.

They couldn’t go back to Diamond Steppe because they had no way to scale its cliffs, and there was likely nothing there to help them get back to civilization, anyway. There was the Five-Eye Reef nearby, which also had absolutely nothing to offer them. Then there was Horseshoe Isle, yet another deserted island. And then...

“Outset Island!” Lana exclaimed aloud.

Outset was very close to Diamond Steppe, and it was populated by a small fishing village, or so she’d heard. She imagined it as being similar to Goponga Village on Greatfish, if a bit smaller. She had no idea what the people there were like, but even if it ended up being a repeat of her experiences on Windfall, it was their only option. They couldn’t go anywhere else.

Lana walked over to Lenzo and picked up the oar. She knew trying to paddle this wreckage all the way to Outset would be impossibly difficult, especially being at the mercy of the ocean currents. It might take them days, and without food or water, they were going to be in serious trouble very soon. But Lana was going to try, anyway.

“I don’t know about you, Lenzo, but I’m not waiting around to die without doing anything. Even if we die, at least I can say I tried to live. You figure out what you’re going to do.”

Lenzo didn’t reply to her. He simply stared off into space. He had a very broken look in his eyes. She couldn’t tell if the shock had worn off or not. Nevertheless, Lana plunged her oar into the water and began to paddle.

The first night had come. The stars painted a map for Lana in the skies above, and she was more grateful to have them shining up there now than ever before. She tried her best to let the current do most of her work, as she knew it led to the southeast toward Outset. However, it would veer off after a certain point and she would need to steer them out of it.

Lenzo had not moved or said a word since the morning. He continued to stare off blankly. Lana wondered if he really had been broken by the shock. She didn’t think there was anything she could do for him besides get them both to safety again. That was the most important thing. Their lives were on the line, and she needed to keep them afloat no matter what.

Lana spent most of the night staring at the sky, making sure they weren’t drifting off course. Her stomach was growling, but with no fish splashing around, there was nothing she could do to change that. She relented having to be in this situation again so soon. She wondered if she had it in her to survive starving again.

A sudden thump knocked her out of her own head, and she looked around. The driftwood she and Lenzo clung to had hit something. With that jolt, it occurred to Lana that she hadn’t been watching the seas for danger. And sure enough, danger found them once again. Of course it did.

The danger this time took the shape of a thin black fin sticking out of the waves, following along beside them. Lana knew what that meant; every fisherman did. She stopped paddling and held as still as possible. To her dismay, however, another fin appeared around her, and then a third.

“Lenzo, stay calm. There are gyorgs.” Lana said.

Lenzo didn’t respond, to Lana's frustration. Gyorgs were aquatic monsters with powerful jaws and sturdy fins for dynamic swimming. Their teeth could put a seahat’s to shame. They were known as the fisherman’s menace in the seas around Greatfish Isle. They could be avoided by holding completely still, as they didn’t have the best eyesight. However, when the rest of the school surfaced like they had just done, that meant they were on the hunt. Awful news for Lana, but what else was new, she thought.

There was nothing she could use to fend them off except for the oar, but she couldn’t afford to break it. After frantically looking around the deck to no avail, she reluctantly brandished it anyway. When the fins went back under the surface, she knew the attack would come soon. In that small moment, she found herself wishing she at least still had that rusty nail from the fortress.

The surface tension broke with a gyorg leaping into the air. Lana yelped and swung the oar at it as hard as she could. She missed terribly, and the gyorg violently shook the driftwood as it reentered the water. Lana lost her balance momentarily, and a second gyorg came up from under and bit right into the boards.

“No!” Lana shouted.

She smacked the gyorg in the nose with the oar, and it let go. It took a chunk of the wood with it, leaving a gaping hole with terrifying teeth marks. It spit out the wood in its mouth and started coming for another bite. As it got closer, Lana jabbed the pointy end of the oar into its eye, and it reeled away in pain.

The third gyorg then took a large bite out of the other side of the driftwood, close to Lenzo. This finally got a reaction out of him, which was to scream and shield his pictographs with his own body.

- Of all the...!

Lana rushed to his aid as the gyorg gnashed its way through the wood, closer toward him. He whimpered, pressing his satchel to his chest as tightly as he could, as Lana stepped in between him and the monstrous fish. It opened its maw wide, and Lana grabbed up a sharp piece of wood that had come loose and shoved it inside.

When the beast tried to bite down, it embedded the wood into the roof of its mouth. It whimpered much like Lenzo as it swam away. With two of its friends injured, the first gyorg decided to flee. Its fin receded back under the waves, and everything became quiet and calm again. Everything except for Lana’s haggard breathing.

Lana was furious. She turned sharply on her heel and was about to tear Lenzo a new one, but she held her words in as she looked down at him. He was still curled up, shaking and mewling, holding that bag for dear life. He looked so utterly helpless that all of Lana’s anger just evaporated for the moment.

- Unbelievable.

Lana simply shook her head at him, and went on to examining the damage to the driftwood. Two large holes were punched into it, which made it harder for Lana to keep the top clear of water. If it got any more damaged, they’d be sunk.

Lana sighed. There was no way to make repairs, so the only thing she could do was keep paddling and hope the gyorgs didn’t come back.

The second night had brought with it the first blessing of the ordeal; rain. Lana was absolutely thrilled. She stood in the cold downpour with her mouth hanging open, trying to catch and gulp down as much of it as she could. She also rubbed her arms and clothes and hair, trying to use the rainwater to cleanse her body of all the salt from the sea water she was constantly being splashed with.

Then she remembered that she could use Lenzo’s bag to hold water, as it was waterproof. She looked at him, and he was still sitting quietly in a daze. The bag was next to him on the wood, so she picked it up and dumped its contents in his lap. Then, she held it up to the sky and waited for the rain to fill it up.

However, Lenzo finally reacted to this. Now that his pictobox and pictographs were exposed to the rain, he freaked.

“Hey! What are you doing?! My pictographs will be soaked! My pictobox will be ruined!” he shouted.

Lana was so surprised to hear him speak that she almost thought she was hearing things. Lenzo didn’t wait for a response as he ran at her and furiously tried to snatch the bag back.

“Lenzo! Stop it!”

“My pictographs!”

The fuss caused all the water to spill out of the bag, and the two were soaked even more thoroughly. The pair coughed and wheezed for breath after having their faces covered with water so suddenly, but they continued grappling for the bag in all that mess. Of course, with absolutely perfect timing, the rain came to a screeching halt.

“No! No, no, no!” Lana cried.

She tried to raise the bag back up and catch as much as she could before it stopped completely, but Lenzo was still fighting her for it. Any water she was able to catch was immediately spilled over by Lenzo’s flailing limbs. In the end, they had nothing but a wet pouch to show for the rain’s blessing.

As the last drops ended, Lana slumped down in disbelief, allowing Lenzo to take his pouch back at last. He had a very frazzled reaction when he saw how wet the inside of it was, and then scurried to tend to his pictobox and pictographs.

“No, they’re all soaked... How could this happen... This is awful...” he whined.

That was it. Lana finally snapped. She stomped over to him, lifted him up by the collar of his shirt, and punched him. Hard. Square in the jaw. He hit the driftwood hard enough to shake the whole thing.

“You idiot! That was the perfect chance to get drinking water, and look what you did! We have nothing!” she screamed.

“B... but...” Lenzo whimpered. “M-my pictographs... They... They have to...”

“Forget your stupid pictographs!” Lana fumed. “Our lives are way more important! Do you still not realize the situation we’re in? We’re standing on a piece of driftwood on open water, with no food and now no drinking water, thanks to you! All because you’re obsessed with these dumb pictographs! You need to think about your own life first! Get it together already!”

When she was finally done yelling at him, she turned her back on him and panted. Her fists were clenched so hard, they were starting to hurt. Her teeth were grinding, which wasn’t something she usually did. She had never been so angry in her life, she thought.

The night became quiet and cold. Lana waited for Lenzo to say something, but as more time passed, she felt more and more like he wasn’t going to speak up for himself. She couldn’t feel his eyes on her at all. That, to her surprise, just made her feel disappointed, instead of angry.

Without a word, or without looking back at him, she picked up the oar and resumed paddling. Thanks to her dedicated studies of the sea charts, she knew the ocean current would swerve in a new direction soon. She needed to get them out of it so they could remain on course to Outset. After all, that was the most important thing.

The third night had arrived, just as cold and bleak as the nights before it. Lana had successfully steered them out of the current during the daylight hours. However, that had drastically reduced their speed to a crawl. She used the position of the stars to keep track of their progress, and it was a very disheartening pace. There was only so much she could do with one oar.

To make matters worse, the hunger was setting in even worse than the last time. Her stomach was growling fiercely, and each rumble was gut-wrenchingly painful. Acid stung her throat, as if her stomach was reaching out for anything it could find to digest. She had a severe headache, and her muscles were incredibly sore from all the rowing.

She was running desperately low on energy. She didn’t know how much longer she could keep this up, especially without anything to replenish her strength. No fish were wandering close to the driftwood, and she had nothing to craft a rod with. If there were some cloth left from the sails, she could fasten a line, but they were long gone. The strings that tied Lenzo’s pouch together were far too short and much too thick to be useful, either. She had nothing.

She was also dreadfully thirsty. The rainwater she drank from the previous night had helped a bit, but she was still incredibly parched. The seawater was beginning to look awfully refreshing, regardless of how much her sense of reason screamed at her about it. She was very malnourished, even worse than when she escaped the Forsaken Fortress.

Her vision was beginning to get fuzzy. She felt like she needed to sleep, but she couldn’t afford it. If things were this bad already, another day of drifting would be the end of them. She couldn’t see a scenario where she had the strength to keep rowing beyond a fourth night. All she could envision was laying flat on the boards, starving to death as the waves carried them wherever they pleased.

- We’ve got to be close by now... This can’t end here, not when we’re this close...

“... I’m sorry.”

Lana turned her head in the direction of the sudden voice. She was bewildered to see Lenzo standing straight up and facing her. She hadn’t looked back at him since she yelled at him the previous night. There was a cut on his lip where Lana had punched him, and his cheek was rather swollen. However, his eyes seemed to show no sign of the shock and tension from the past few days. He looked incredibly self-aware.

“I’m sorry.” he said again. “I've been... utterly useless. No, I’ve been worse than useless. You’re right, I have been far too obsessed with my pictographs. I couldn’t stop thinking about it after what I did last night. I lost us precious drinking water. I prioritized my pictographs over our supplies when the storm sank our ship. I did nothing to help you when you fought off the gyorgs. I couldn’t handle the reality of our situation, I guess. I’ve never been through anything like this before. I just... I’ve been just absolutely awful. And now we’re going to die out here, and it’s all my fault. I can’t express to you how sorry I am.”

Lana gazed at him sadly. He seemed to be on the verge of breaking again. Reality had hit him with a dose that might have been too strong for him to handle. He seemed ready to throw himself overboard to make up for his actions.

“I’m sorry, too.” Lana said. “I’m sorry for punching you, I hope it didn’t hurt too much. And I didn’t mean to call your pictographs stupid. I was just really angry. I do like them a lot, and I’ll be glad that you were able to hold onto them. ... As long as we get out of this alive, of course. But that’s not going to happen if we don’t help each other.”

“You’re right. I’ve been making you do all the work. You don’t deserve to be out, here Lana. You should just... leave me here. You’ll be better off without me. I’m nothing but dead weight. It’s the least I deserve for getting us in this mess.”

It seemed extremely difficult for him to get those words out, but he forced himself to do it all the same. His whole body shook and tears began rolling down his cheeks. He was truly miserable. But, he was also truly repentant, and that was all Lana needed to forgive him.

“Absolutely not. What did I just say a second ago? We need to work together. I can’t do this without you.” she said sternly.

“But... All I’ve done the past three days is cling to my pictographs and sit around doing nothing. What can I even do? How can I be of any help?” he asked.

“Well, for starters, you can help me paddle. It’s really difficult to handle that by myself. Grab some loose boards or something and help me out, okay?” she said with a smile.

Lenzo seemed surprised that Lana wasn’t chastising him any further. More tears spilled over and his nose began running. He sniffled and wiped his face, and just nodded his head as best he could. He seemed like he was grateful to feel like he could be helpful.

He did as directed and found a sturdy length of wood that didn’t sink them when he pulled it loose. He and Lana took opposite sides and paddled as best they could in the direction Lana said to go.

Trying to paddle a piece of driftwood was dreadfully tricky, especially one with giant holes bitten into it. It was all they could manage to keep it afloat, much less going in a consistent direction. With nothing to catch the wind, they had no speed. Three days worth of hunger and thirst weighed them down and made their movements heavy and sluggish. Their minds were just as worn out as their bodies. They were on the verge of breaking down for good. A total and final collapse was imminent.

And yet, they kept paddling. Even as their arms ached enough to fall off, even as their fingers blistered and bled from the effort, they kept paddling. They moved forward, bit by bit. And sure enough, when daybreak came and lit up the sky, they caught sight of the very thing they were almost literally dying to see.

Outset Island appeared on the horizon.

Last edited:

Echolight

❤️ love yourself ❤️
ZD Champion
I felt so bad for Lenzo and Lana, they almost died! Thank goodness the island is there now. I was afraid for Lenzo, I seemed out of his mind in this chapter lol, thank goodness he’s back to normal.

Great work as always! Can’t wait for the next chapter! :)

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Chapter 9 is now done! This one marks the end of the second story arc. What do you think Lana is going to do next? There's still more to come. :)

Chapter Nine
Somehow, Alive​

The soreness of Lana’s muscles and overall body when she and Lenzo finally washed up on the shores of Outset Island couldn’t be described with mere words. As soon as that driftwood hit the beach, they threw themselves ashore. That was the best they could do. Lying in the sand right where they fell was all they had left in them.

The waves that lapped at Outset’s beaches were gentle. The way they washed over Lana oddly reminded her of her mother’s hands, a stark contrast to the hell she’d just been put through by that very same ocean. She sprawled out her limbs and stared at the sky above, letting herself take in the kindness of the water and the feeling of being on solid ground. She’d been certain she would never experience those things again.

Lenzo was already out cold beside her, before he even had the chance to feel the relief of coming ashore. Lana was surprised she was still conscious. She couldn’t move her body even if she wanted to. Every inch of her was in severe pain. Her splitting headache made her vision swim. Her clothes were soaked with three days’ worth of salt and seawater. The one thing that didn’t feel wretched was the sand. She allowed herself to feel the safety of land cradle her as she lay motionless on the beach. She would have cried if she had the energy left to spare for it.

They were safe at last. They made it to dry land. They didn’t drown on the Great Sea, after all. The relief alone might have been enough to save her, if she weren’t starving and dehydrated. She was too tired to consider what had to be done now that they arrived on Outset. Soon enough, she became too tired to stay awake any longer, even to bask in her relief. She drifted off to a much needed sleep, faintly hoping she’d have the energy to find help whenever she’d wake.

When Lana regained consciousness, she wasn’t expecting to feel so comfortable. She was enveloped in soft, warm sheets with her head carefully placed on a fuzzy pillow. She hadn’t felt so comfortable in days, so she stayed still and relished the feeling before she considered how she got to be in such a cozy place.

When at last she opened her eyes, she found herself looking up at a thatch ceiling. The wooden walls around her reminded her of the buildings in Goponga Village. She had a momentary panic that she was back home somehow, but she quickly realized that was impossible. She tried to sit up, despite everything still aching terribly.

“Oh dear, are you able to move now?”

A very calm and sweet voice asked this question, and before Lana could turn to see who it was, a gentle hand was placed on her forehead.

“You still feel a little feverish. I don’t think you should get up yet.”

Lana at last turned to see the owner of this voice. She was struck by how pretty she was. Flowing blonde hair, eyes that were a softer blue than her own, fair skin that seemed almost porcelain; Lana almost mistook her for a mermaid she’d read about in an old book once.

“Um... Where am I?” Lana asked.

“You’re on Outset Island, dear. This is my home. My name is Anna.” she introduced. “I came across you and that fellow there passed out on the beach. Were you shipwrecked?”

Lana looked next to her and saw that Lenzo was in sheets much like her own. He was sound asleep, with a wet towel on his forehead.

“You were both terribly ill. Were you drifting long?” Anna asked.

“Three days. Our ship went down in a storm. We didn’t have any food or water.”

“Goodness! You poor things...” Anna fussed.

Lana was relieved that Anna seemed so kind. Emilia’s warning to be cautious still egged at her in the back of her mind, but there was something about Anna that made her want to trust that she was a good person.

“I’m glad I thought to prepare some food for you two. You’d better eat it slowly, I’d hate for you to overload your body after such an ordeal.” Anna said, walking over to a ladder.

It then occurred to Lana that she and Lenzo were in a loft. She tried to see below as best she could, but Anna disappeared down the ladder quickly. She could hear her clamoring around down there, perhaps getting dishes ready. Whatever it was she made, it sure smelled delicious. Lana was starting to salivate and her stomach began rumbling with ravenous desire.

Anna climbed back up the ladder while miraculously balancing a pot of stew on her head. In her right arm, she carried bowls and spoons. She set them all down before Lana, and poured a generous helping of golden soup into a bowl, garnished with herbs. She presented it to Lana with a kind smile.

“... I can really have this?” Lana asked. She felt déjà vu from when she woke up in Lenzo’s house for the first time.

“Why shouldn’t you have it? Eat up, now.” Anna said, smiling a sweet smile that made her feel blessed.

Lana became awash with an overwhelming sense of relief and gratitude. It finally sank in that she was safe. The confusion from waking up in a strange place had finally worn off. Her body, after being in fight-or-flight mode for days, was calm again at last. The tears came flooding out as pure joy chased away all the stress and terror from the ordeal. She had been rescued by a kind person, and she had survived those awful three days of drifting on the open sea. She was grateful to Anna, sure, but she was also extremely grateful to be alive.

Lana slowly gulped down the golden soup. It was all she could do to hold herself back from guzzling it all in one go. It was just as delicious as it smelled. It seemed to revitalize her and fill her with energy. She had no idea what was in it, but it was extremely potent.

“It’s so good... What is this?” she asked.

“That’s my specialty, elixir soup. It’s an old family recipe. I’ve been making it since I was a little girl.” Anna said, showing a bit of pride.

“It’s so good...” Lana repeated between spoonfuls.

Everything felt warm, from head to toe. Her stomach felt it most of all. The soup warmed her body that was freezing from being covered in water for days, and it warmed her heart that was hanging on the edge of despair for just as long. Lana didn’t expect to feel this happy anywhere other than on the sea or with her parents. Perhaps that was the joy she found in being alive. Much like when she initially broke out of her cell in the Forsaken Fortress, she was simply happy to see another day.

As she ate, Lana happened to glance at the sleeping Lenzo, and then recalled something important. “Oh, yeah. My friend had a bag with his belongings with him. Is that around? Did you see it on the beach?” she asked.

“Oh, you mean this bag?” Anna asked. She reached behind herself, and sure enough, she brought out Lenzo’s pictograph satchel.

“That’s it! Can I check it to make sure his stuff is still in there?”

Anna passed it to her, and Lana wasted no time in opening it. To her relief, Lenzo’s pictobox, as well as the three pictographs he’d taken, were still safely tucked inside.

“Oh, thank goodness. He’d be so upset if he lost them.” Lana said, placing it beside his bed.

“Well, I’m glad I picked it up, then. I wasn’t sure how much of what drifted ashore belonged to you two.” she said. “At any rate, I’ll fetch you some water now. Finish up eating and lie back down. You need to rest as much as you can."

“I will. Thank you, Anna.” she said, nodding gratefully. “Oh, I’m Lana, by the way. His name is Lenzo.”

“It’s wonderful to meet you, Lana! ... Oh! Um, barring the circumstances, of course.”

“Of course.” Lana chuckled.

With that, Anna headed back down below the loft. Lana reclined back down in her bed and stared at the ceiling. Her stomach was no longer growling. She was still thirsty, but that would be taken care of shortly. Thanks to Anna’s kindness, her physical needs were being handled. That was one concern out of the way.

Now that she felt secure in that, she began to think of what had to come next.

Lenzo had woken up later that day. Surprisingly, he was more relieved about Lana’s survival than he was about his pictographs being safe. Of course, that wasn’t to say he was not absolutely giddy that he’d managed to hold on to that pictograph of the ghost ship. It gave Anna quite a fright.

Both Lana and Lenzo were completely worn out from their days adrift, physically and mentally. Anna cared for them intensively over the next four days, even having the village doctor, a man named Sturgeon, examine them. He seemed fairly competent to Lana, as well as a bit quirky.

Luckily for them, the only thing they walked away from that ordeal with was a severe fever, aside from the malnourishment. Lana recovered faster than Lenzo, perhaps because her body had prior experience from her stint in the Forsaken Fortress. Lenzo was still bedridden when Lana went out to explore the village for the first time.

Her prior assumption that it was similar to Greatfish Isle was spot-on. The buildings looked almost identical. Perhaps they were just the most efficient style for villages set by the sea. The island itself was much larger than Greatish, and quite mountainous. However, the village itself was at least half the size of Goponga.

The island was split in two by a bay, connected by bridges both low and high. Most of the villager homes were concentrated on the western half of the island. Some were near the bay, and others were nestled at the base of the cliffs. Anna’s house hung over the beach. The mountains looked deserted from what Lana could tell, but there was still a suspension bridge connecting both halves of the island high above the bay. The eastern mountains were plain and bare, but the western mountains housed a thick forest.

Lana was told there was an ancient fairy fountain hidden in those woods. Sturgeon himself said he often played with the fairies as a little boy, but he hadn’t seen any in years now that he was an adult. Lana wasn’t sure if she believed him. She wasn’t sure if she even believed fairies were real. Then again, the ghost ship had been real, so maybe it wasn’t so far-fetched, after all. She didn’t really want to go up there to see for herself.

The people of Outset made their living by trading with each other. There were wild pigs on the island, and some villagers would catch and raise a few of them. Some would grow crops, and others would go out and fish. They would then share their bounties with each other. All put together, they were very self-sustaining. To Lana’s surprise, most of the villagers were friendly toward her. She faced none of the cold indifference she found on Windfall, and suffered none of the undue harassment she found on Greatfish. It was a very peaceful hamlet, and she liked it very much there.

However, she knew she would have to leave eventually. And that was the problem that ate away at her as she paced around the beach she washed up on. Yes, she was safe again, and even almost healthy again, but she was still, once again, stranded on an island with no boat, no money, and no supplies.

- I’ve practically gone backwards, and I still have nothing to my name. Am I ever going to find what I’m looking for?

As she was walking, she almost tripped over something sticking out of the sand. She examined it, and realized it was a new piece of driftwood that had washed ashore in the days she’d spent recuperating in Anna’s house, not among the things that she and Lenzo had brought with them.

She pulled it out of the sand to study it better. It was a thin plank of wood, but it was engraved with letters and embroidery. It was splintered apart and she only had a small piece of it, but with what she had in her hands, she could make out the one complete word visible on it.

Gull.

It was part of the ship’s nameplate. Of course it had to be Lana’s least favorite part of the name that survived. She thought the ocean must have a sick sense of humor for that to be the only other thing to wash up on Outset with them.

Lana gazed at that word as she sat on the warm sands of Outset. The word evoked a sudden and severe sense of homesickness. If she could see her dear Papa again, she wouldn’t mind him calling her his little gull every day for the rest of her life. She missed him and her Mama and her friend Oshus terribly. She missed being able to fish without a care in the world. She missed her old life, even with all the bullying from the townsfolk.

It had been almost two weeks since she’d left, and she’d spent most of that time in life-threatening situations or recovering from said situations in the homes of strangers. She was captured by pirates as soon as she left, rescued by more pirates, stranded on an island where she almost starved by peoples’ indifference, and then spent three days adrift at sea after a storm sunk her ship. That was an awful lot of bad to happen in just twelve days.

She’d lost everything she started with, and had made absolutely no progress in making up for any of it. She was farther south than where she started, when she was trying to go far to the north. Nothing about this voyage was anything like she planned or expected. She was starting to question if this was worth it anymore.

- Should I even bother anymore? Should I just give up on trying to find my ancestral home? What should I do...

Lana continued to stare at that word, and in her mind, everything she ever thought she was capable of was once again brought to her own scrutiny. The fire that burned in her heart and drove her out to sea had come to feel like nothing more than smoldering cinders. Much to her despair, she had lost her hope and her will to continue.

What was left inside of her to keep her going?

Last edited:

Echolight

❤️ love yourself ❤️
ZD Champion
Aww, Anna’s so sweet! I’m so glad the island is not like the last one lol

My favorite character has to be Lenzo though, he’s just the best, though sometimes he’s a bit silly, but that’s why I like him

Great chapter as always! :)

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Two chapters in one day! I'm on a roll! The third arc begins now. I hope you guys enjoy seeing how Lana comes to terms with herself. She's a lot of fun to write about. :)

Chapter Ten
Stoking The Fire​

Two more days passed by, and Lana still didn’t have an answer for herself. She had spent almost a week on Outset by then, thanks to Anna’s hospitality. Lana didn’t want to impose on her any more than she already had, but she didn’t know what to do or where to go next. Just giving up and going home was beginning to feel more tempting every time she mulled it over.

Lana frequently spent time sitting on the beach where she washed up, all by herself. Sometimes she would chat with the villagers when she got too lonely. She liked to listen to Sturgeon talk. He was very knowledgeable, and he reminded her of Oshus, if Oshus were in his twenties. Still, she always found herself coming back to that spot.

The driftwood from the Gull hadn’t been moved. It sat on the beach right where it washed up. Lana would sit in the sand across from it, and get lost in her own mind. She tried stoking the flames inside her, but the cinders did nothing but burn weakly. It was like her heart was a dying hearth, and she couldn’t find any more kindling.

“Are you alright, Lana?”

She turned to find Lenzo had arrived at the beach. He still looked sick, but much color had returned to his face. He looked a lot healthier now than before.

“Oh, I didn’t know you were up! I’m glad you finally have the strength to get around again.” Lana said, with a soft smile.

“You’re too kind, you really are. I’ll be alright, but I’m worried about you. You didn’t answer me, are you okay?”

Lana’s smile faltered a bit. “I... I don’t know.”

She turned away from him, trying to hide her expression as it fell apart. Lenzo sat down next to her, but he didn’t look at her face. He stared off to sea.

“You know, I’m really grateful to you. You saved my life. I’m sorry I was so unhelpful during that whole mess. It’s the biggest regret of my life now. But I’m really glad you survived it. I think I might actually be more grateful for that than I am for my own survival. Weird, isn’t it?” he said.

“I don’t know if I’d call that weird.” she said, feeling a bit awkward.

“Before you showed up and we went out to sea together, I hadn’t experienced a single true hardship in my life. My house was handed down to me by my parents. I had always been rather well-off. Making and selling my pictographs has kept plenty of food on my table. And yet, from such a place of comfort, I thought my pictographs could help other people without ever knowing what true suffering was. I empathized with your ordeal, yet I had no idea what it was like for you until now. I was so clueless, in my own little world just like the people of Windfall I dislike so much.

“Drifting on the ocean taught me how small I really am in this world, and what it means to truly help others. I don’t think just taking pictographs is enough. When I get home to Windfall, I’m going to start taking more action. I’ll still be snapping pictographs and using that to open people’s eyes, but I’ve realized that’s not enough if I’m not actually going to do anything to take it farther than that. That has to be the first step, not the only step. I have you to thank for that lesson, as well as for my life.”

Lana’s heart felt heavy listening to this. “I’m happy for you. And I’m glad you survived, Lenzo. I don’t hate you for what you did out there. I hope you know that.”

Lenzo smiled. “You just might be the kindest person I’ve ever met, Lana. Thank you.”

After saying as much, Lenzo went back to Anna’s house for more rest. Lana remained on the beach. His words were kind and thoughtful, but she felt miserable listening to them. Just being happy to have survived wasn’t enough anymore. Lenzo had come out of this ordeal with the drive and motivation to know what to do with his life. Lana felt like she had none of that. She wished she could be more like him.

After escaping the Forsaken Fortress, she decided she had to keep going so that her parents’ sacrifices didn’t go to waste. But now, after her days drifting at sea, she didn’t think she could pull that off anymore. Any time she tried to voyage, she found herself almost dead. Emilia was right to call her a loser; what kind of voyager was she supposed to be like that?

Such thoughts continued to weigh her down, dampening the flame inside her even more. Perhaps it really was time to throw in the towel. And yet, there was still a small part of her, deep inside, that clung to that tiny flame for dear life, trying to find anything to keep it going. But was there actually anything left she could do?

THWACK!

A loud, sudden noise echoed across the beach and made Lana jump. It sounded like something hard hitting wood. She turned back to see an unusual argument unfold in front of Sturgeon's house.

“KAHHHHH! You sniveling fool! Stay here, then! I’ll go by myself!”

“Then you’ll be dead by yourself, you fool!” Sturgeon replied.

“You used to be so much fun! And now look at you, obsessed with book smarts! A warrior needs strength and muscles to survive!”

“A warrior without intelligence is no better than a meaty club! I might as well use you to smack around monsters, you won’t be good for much else!”

“KAHHHHH! You are so infuriating!”

Lana was so enthralled by their argument that she ended up drawing closer to the two of them than she intended. Sturgeon noticed her and cleared his throat.

“I shouldn’t even bother arguing with you. It is a waste of precious brain cells. If you’ll excuse me...” he said, retreating up the ladder to the second floor of his house.

“Whatever! I’m still not changing my mind!” the other man yelled. Then he turned sharply on his heel, and was surprised to see Lana. “... What are you looking at?” he asked.

Lana wasn’t sure she recognized him. She thought she’d met everyone on the island already. “I’m Lana. Who are you, exactly?”

“Oh, you’re that driftwood girl I heard about. Sturgeon’s been gabbing on about you at dinner a lot lately. Said you were a real inquisitive type. Feh. Two peas in a pod, I guess.”

“... Uh, so who are you again?” Lana asked, a little annoyed by his attitude.

“I am Orca, a master swordsman and the twin brother of that gadabout Sturgeon you like so much.” he announced proudly.

He flexed his arms and bounced his pectoral muscles. He seemed awfully proud of his body. He was also holding a wooden spear, which Lana assumed to be the cause of that loud thwacking noise from earlier.

“A master swordsman, huh?” Lana said. “That must be nice... If I had known how to fight, maybe I would’ve been better off on my voyaging attempts...”

“Huh?! What do you need to know how to fight for? You’re a woman!”

That remark cut into Lana and flipped her anger switch on. She was bitterly reminded of the men on Greatfish Isle mocking her for daring to go out to sea and fish as a woman. And then she recalled Emilia being the captain of burly pirates twice her size, and still commanding respect from them. For a moment, Lana thought she should get the same from Orca.

“What does being a woman have to do with anything, huh? Where do people even get that idea from?” she said.

“Well, uh... You know, women are weaker than men. I can’t expect you to go swinging a sword around like me, can I?” he said matter-of-factly.

It was Lana’s turn to flex now. Her muscle mass was still fairly intact even after her starvation; not as much as it had been before, but still enough to impress Orca.

“I’ll have you know I spend a lot of time at sea, hauling up fish day after day. I exercise every day, I eat balanced meals, I try to sleep right, and I know how to handle my own body! I am perfectly capable! In fact, I even escaped a pirate stronghold all by myself! I did it without any weapons, too! And...”

Lana paused for a minute. Her chest felt hot, and not just from Orca’s humiliating words. She was right; even if Emilia’s Pirates got her off the island, she did escape the fort all by herself, and without even needing a weapon. That was pretty impressive of her, wasn’t it?

“And I also steered a boat out of the way of a persistent seahat! And when I was drifting at sea, I fought off three gyorgs all by myself with nothing but an oar! If I had a weapon, if I knew how to use it, I...”

- If only I knew how to fight, I could...

Something deep down caught a small spark. That spark grew larger as the fire inside her began to swell. She had said it all herself. Sure, she may have gotten captured by monster pirates. Sure, she might have been attacked by a seahat and gyorgs. Sure, she may have been adrift at sea for three days. But, she solved all of those problems herself. She did that.

It occurred to her that she hadn’t been giving herself the proper credit for her actions. Whatever messes she’d gotten into, she had gotten herself right out of them. That alone felt impressive to her, but then she imagined how things would have gone if she’d known how to fight. She pictured those scenarios going very differently if only she had a weapon she knew how to use.

It was like a missing puzzle piece had just been found. She needed to learn how to fight. Of course she couldn’t expect to travel across the sea safely if she couldn’t protect herself. And all it took was listening to Orca’s ignorant remarks to reignite the fire inside her. Finally, she had found her drive again.

- That’s right... I can do this. I can do this! I just need to prepare some more. I can do this!

Orca was already taken aback by Lana’s outburst, but when she looked back up with eyes shining full of spirit, he stumbled back a bit.

“Teach me how to fight.” she said.

“Excuse me?! Why should I have to-”

“Teach me! Please! Any instruction you can give me would be a great help!” Lana said, stepping toward him.

Orca took another step back. “L-look, I’m in the middle of preparing for a trip! I don’t know how much of that spat with my brother you overheard, but I’m going out to sea to look for a Knight’s Crest to prove my worth as a warrior! I don’t have time for-”

Lana said it without thinking. “Then take me with you! I’m an excellent helmsman. I sail your boat, you teach me how to fight. And then you’ll have a capable student to help you look for that crest thing. Deal?”

Orca looked stunned by her words. In truth, Lana almost regretted speaking them as soon as they passed her lips. She had no idea if she was ready for another outing to sea. What’s more, this deal wouldn’t get her any money or supplies. The only thing in it for her was the experience.

However, she recognized the value of fighting experience now. She needed it before anything else. Otherwise, she didn’t think she’d be able to get anywhere at all. As Orca seemed to be puzzling this deal out in his head, Lana decided she had to commit herself to it.

“... You know, I’ve never had a student before...” Orca said.

He looked very pleased at the thought. Lana decided to capitalize on that.

“What’s a master swordsman without a few disciples, right? I’m sure you can handle it. In fact, I bet no one could do it as well as you.” she said.

That seemed to be enough persuasion for him. “You have a point. Very well, then! Starting today, you are my student, Lama!”

“... My name is Lana.”

“Ah! Right, of course.” he said, clearing his throat. “In that case, we’d better set you up with a weapon first, right? I am very skilled in handling several weapon types. Find one among my collection that suits you, and I’ll see how well you handle it.”

- Wow, it sure was easy to butter him up. But, this is great! If I learn how to fight, I won’t have anything more to fear!

Lana followed Orca into his room, which seemed to be the first floor of Sturgeon’s house. She had a new spring in her step now. She felt a renewed sense of determination carry her through the threshold. She was not going to give up on her goal so easily. Not anymore.

Last edited:

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
It's been a while since I was able to sit myself down to write. I have finally finished Chapter 11. I decided to rename CH 10 and use its old title for CH 11 since I thought it works better that way. Enjoy this one, and look forward to what comes next! We're getting closer to the halfway point of the story. :)

Chapter Eleven
Orca The “Master” Swordsman​

“Behold, my glorious training dojo!” Orca said, presenting his room to Lana.

Lana’s mouth fell agape at the sheer number of weapons lining the walls. There were thrice as many blades as there were furniture. Aside from a simple sleeping cot that was stuffed into a corner between racks of spears and swords, she didn't see so much as a table or chair in the room. Greatswords and pikes and hammers of all shapes draped around the room like shiny metal curtains. A whetstone and iron smithing tools were in the corner opposite the cot. Next to those, a brick furnace made the room feel stuffy and hot. It looked more like a workshop than a home.

- This guy might be a little nutty for weapons...

“Speechless, are you? I don’t blame you. A master must have many skills, and so not only do I train with any weapon type I can find, I also forge my own weapons to train with!” Orca bragged.

“That is quite impressive.” Lana said.

- So, he's going to give me one of these weapons and teach me how to use it, in exchange for being his helmsman. That’s a good deal and all, but there are so many weapons to choose from... Which one should I be learning?

“Orca, do you have any advice for choosing a weapon?” Lana asked.

“Aha, coming to your master with a question already! You are a good student! Unlike me, you are not looking to be a master of all things, yes? I’d suggest trying out many types here and seeing which feels most comfortable to wield for you. Start with whichever ones look appealing to you.”

“Appealing? Like, visually?”

“Yes. That’s as good a place to start as any, if you don’t know much about weapons. You said you know how to use your muscles well from all your time fishing and sailing, right? I’m sure that experience will help you find a weapon that feels good, so you might as well start with the ones that you think look good.”

“Okay, then. I’ll have a look around.”

Lana paced around the perimeter of the room, examining the many weapons carefully. She thought wielding something big like a greatsword or an axe would make her look intimidating, and that thought appealed to her. She tried lifting an axe, and was surprised at how much it weighed. She struggled a bit to lift it.

- Hmm... If I weren’t so malnourished, I bet I could use this. But, its weight might be a bit much for the small boats I’m used to. I should probably be looking at lighter weapons.

She returned the axe and continued scanning the walls. In the way of lighter weapons, there were spears, bows, and swords. There were also clubs and maces, but she didn’t like the look of them, and Orca had advised her to start with the ones she liked.

Lana’s next pick was a spear. She tried twirling it around her head, and it felt good. However, she noted how wide its arc was. She pictured doing that on her father’s dinghy and imagined cutting down the mast by doing so. She liked the spear’s reach, but it didn’t feel good to her to use on a boat. It was also very tall, so it wasn’t something easy to travel with. She put that one back, as well.

- Okay, I think I’m starting to figure out what my needs are. I guess swords are the way to go for me, then.

Orca said nothing as Lana went through this process. He simply observed her quietly. Lana couldn’t help but feel like he was judging her by her choices. Nevertheless, she shrugged off his gaze and examined a wall covered in different types of swords.

The first one to catch her eye was a cutlass. Lana recalled seeing some of Emilia’s crew carrying those around. The blade was curved and wavy, and it reminded her of the ocean. She liked that very much. She gave one a few swings, and she could easily picture herself fighting off monsters on a boat with that.

She didn’t want to lock herself into that choice right away, so she continued looking at the swords on the wall. Many of them were straight and broad, and the lengths were all varied. She was impressed at how many different kinds there were. Then, one kind in particular caught her eye. She returned the cutlass and picked that one up.

It was a very thin blade; so thin, it reminded her of a fishing rod. It had a very sharp point on the end. When she swung it around, she was impressed. She felt the air flow around its arcs, and she liked the way it moved. It was a bit longer than the cutlass, but not enough that would prevent use in crowded spaces. Something about this sword really grabbed at her. Maybe it was the design that stood out from the rest of the weapons, or maybe it was the way it moved through the air. Whatever the reason, she found she liked this one.

“Orca, what kind of sword is this?” she asked.

“Is that the one you’re choosing? That’s called an estoc. They’re handy for piercing metal. Good choice for cutting through pesky monsters that like to use shields and armor. They’re also fairly light, so it’s easy to carry and swing around.” he explained.

- That hits all the marks I’m looking for. Yep, I think this is the one.

Lana couldn’t contain an excited smile from spreading across her lips. “I think I’d like to learn how to use this.” she said.

“Excellent! Here, let me pull out a practice dummy for you. Try smacking it around, and I’ll help you with your form.”

Orca dragged a straw man-shaped dummy from a corner and placed it in the center of the room. Lana observed many nicks and cuts all over its surface. She could see how much Orca practiced with it. She felt she had to commit herself to that level of effort if she wanted to learn well.

- This is it. I’m gonna learn how to use this estoc, and I’m gonna protect myself from monsters on the sea while I sail to find my motherland. I’m gonna do this!

A few hours passed by, and Lana felt no less determined than when she started. She spent most of that morning learning the basic forms and footwork, how to move her body when she’s dodging so she doesn’t stumble, how to properly block so that she can counterattack, and more. Orca made her drill these forms over and over again until he was satisfied. After a few water breaks, he stopped her completely.

“You seem to be getting the hang of this. I’m impressed at how fast you got accustomed to that weapon. Looks like you chose a good one for yourself. You show excellent potential, but what else do you expect from the student of a master such as myself!”

Orca flexed again, looking very proud of himself rather than proud of Lana.

- However vain he is, he’s still a surprisingly good teacher. I guess he doesn’t call himself a master for nothing. I never imagined I’d feel this comfortable weilding a sword. At this rate, getting across the Great Sea will really be achievable!

“Alright, you are doing very well, Lana, but I have a test for you now.” Orca announced.

“Huh? A test?”

“Yes! This will test many things; your ability to stay calm in unexpected situations, your spatial orientation, and most of all, how you can put all the skills I just taught you to use even in the most arduous battles!”

- What kind of test can he possibly set up right now that would do all of that for me? Whatever it is, it can only help me get better, so bring it on!

As Lana was thinking that, Orca quickly tied a rope around her left leg. With a smirk, he tossed the other end over one of the rafters. Lana felt the blood drain from her face when she put it all together.

“Wh-”

With a fierce yank, Orca used the rope as a pulley to hang Lana upside down by her leg in the middle of the room. Her head spun as her vision was turned on its head. She already felt dizzy, and her leg ached from the force of gravity trying to pull her back down to the floor.

“WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!” Lana yelled as she failed around in the air.

“Testing you! Don’t worry, I do this to myself all the time.” Orca laughed as he attached several heavy weights to the other end of the rope.

“You’re crazy! Get me down!” she yelled.

“Now, now, remember what I said! Learn to be calm in all kinds of situations!” He then grabbed a wooden sword and started brandishing it. “And use your spatial orientation skills to block my strikes upside down!”

“How can you call this a test?! This is more like bullying!”

Orca began swinging at her. She desperately flailed her sword around, trying to block him. He effortlessly ducked under all of her attempts, and even made time to flex in between some of them, to Lana’s aggravation. She was getting smacked all over by that wooden sword. She felt like the target in a party game.

- Ugh, this sucks! I can’t just take a beating like this! I need to get a grip!

Lana clenched her stomach muscles to brace through another hit, and then tried to pull herself upward. She lifted her body over another one of Orca’s swings and grabbed the rope with her free hand. She pulled hard and managed to right herself at last.

“Oh, not bad! Getting yourself out of a bad situation is an important skill! Good work!”

He said as much, but he sure seemed to be enjoying himself. He continued swiping at Lana, but she was able to parry more of his attacks now that she was right side up. Then, Orca targeted the hand she held onto the rope with. A jump strike was all it took for him to smack it right off, and Lana fell back down.

The feedback from falling down shook through her body, making her even dizzier as she swayed around. She shook her head and felt another attack from Orca moving toward her through the air. She twisted her body around and swung with all her might in that direction. Sure enough, her sword connected with the wood, and knocked it right out of Orca’s hands.

“Whoa! I can’t believe you pulled that off right after falling! Impressive! That’s just what I wanted to see! You’ve got good instincts. Yep, I feel pretty good about having you along for the trip now! Am I a great teacher, or what?”

“Or what. Let me down.” Lana scowled.

“Let yourself down. Consider that your last assignment for the day. Make sure you do it safely.”

Lana groaned, and looked from the rope to the floor. She held her free arm forward, and swung her sword to sever the rope. She fell to the floor, and used her arm to tuck herself into a roll and hopped to her feet.

“Wow! That was great! You are going to be very handy out there, Lana.”

“Gee, thanks.” she muttered.

“You look angry.”

“Of course I’m angry! That was the most ridiculous lesson I’ve ever had in my life! What kind of master does something like that?!”

“Now, now, relax. I told you, I train like that all the time. It really is good for building up your spatial orientation and awareness. I’m sure you’ll thank me for it one day.”

- Yeah, right. I’m starting to doubt this guy really knows what he’s doing.

Nevertheless, a deal was a deal. Lana couldn’t back out of it now that he’d taught her. She’d have to put up with him on his voyage. Being a helmsman wasn’t so bad, but she’d have to help him look for whatever that crest thing he’d mentioned was, too. She was not looking forward to that.

“Here you go.” Orca said, handing Lana a leather sheath for her estoc. “As promised, that weapon is all yours. Make sure you practice with it every day. Also don’t forget to exercise, but you told me you already do that, so you’re probably good. Just work some sword reps into your routine from now on.” He waited for an acknowledgement from Lana before continuing. “Go get cleaned up, now. Consider yourself invited to my brother’s room upstairs for dinner tonight.”

The prospect of dinner with Sturgeon made her feel a little better, even if Orca was going to be there, too. She sheathed her estoc and strapped it to her left hip. She couldn’t help but feel strong and secure, having that sword hanging at her side. She already felt more confident. She took that as a good sign.

Lana left Orca’s room and wandered toward the beach where she’d been sitting that morning. The Gull’s wreckage there served as a reminder to her that she could not expect to cross the Great Sea safely. She had to be ready for any kind of danger, and learning to fight was the best thing she could do to be ready. She clenched her fists and nodded to the sea, almost daring it to hit her with its best shot next time. Despite the uncertainty surrounding her next trip, she felt more sure of herself than she’d ever been.

That night, Lana found herself sitting at Sturgeon’s table in his home. His room was the exact opposite of Orca’s; there wasn’t a single weapon to be seen. Instead, the walls were lined with what appeared to be medical and history books. Papers loosely covered the walls under and above those shelves, scribbled with writings and diagrams about the human body. He clearly knew his stuff. Lana felt much more comfortable in this room than in his brother’s room downstairs.

The ways in which the two of them ate were also different. Orca shoveled anything he could get his hands on down his throat with his bare hands, while Sturgeon delicately cut his meat apart with his utensils and chewed his food entirely before he swallowed it. She found it hard to believe they were related.

“So, Lana, I hear you offered to accompany my foolish brother on his hopeless quest.” Sturgeon said. “I can’t say I approve, but perhaps you will at least be able to keep him alive.”

“You've always gotta mouth off at me, don’t you! You used to love coming with me on these hopeless quests, you know!” Orca said through a mouth full of food.

“That was before I realized how hopeless they were.” Sturgeon replied.

“So, uh...” Lana spoke up, trying to diffuse the tension. “I still don’t really know what a crest is. Or where we’re going.”

“You agreed to go with him without knowing all that? I swear, kids are getting more and more reckless these days...” Sturgeon sighed.

“Oh, quit acting so high and mighty. We’re barely even 25.” Orca said. “Listen up, Lana. A Knight’s Crest is the ultimate symbol of a warrior. Only the best of the best get to tote them around on their belts. That’s why I want to find one so badly, to prove that I am indeed a master swordsman!”

“I see. And where would you get one?” Lana asked.

“Powerful monsters like darknuts wear them. Defeating one of those would be ideal, but they’re also hidden away in dangerous, monster-infested caverns and the like. That’s where we’re going, and we set out tomorrow. To the Forbidden Woods!”

Orca stood up with one foot on the table and raised his meat high above his head. He let out a laugh from deep in his gut.

“Get your foot off my table.” Sturgeon snapped.

He sat back down. “So anyway, that’s the deal. I taught you how to fight, so you’re my helmsman in exchange.”

“Right. I’ll do my best.” Lana said, feeling less excited for the trip than ever.

She knew what the Forbidden Woods were. She remembered seeing them on the sea chart, far to the east. They were right next to the Forest Haven, an island of legend and mystique. Lenzo had mentioned visiting it before when he was researching how to make his pictobox. It was supposed to be a lovely, tranquil place, but the Forbidden Woods were said to be the exact opposite. Thick brush filled with monsters secluded in high cliffs.

- We might as well be storming the Forsaken Fortress. This is really gonna suck... But, I have to survive it. Then I’ll be one step closer to my goal. I can do this. I will overcome this. I will make this worth it. I have to...

Sturgeon noticed Lana’s face, just as full of determination and vigor as his brother’s. He sighed and adjusted the glasses resting on his nose.

“I sure hope you know what you’re doing, young lady.” he said.

“That makes two of us.” Lana said.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom