• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Reviving Older Franchises

Cfrock

Keep it strong
I searched for a like thread and couldn't find one.

EA recently raised Dungeon Keeper from the grave in the form of a mobile game for iOS and Android. The franchise hadn't been seen since 1999's excellent Dungeon Keeper 2 and so the news that it was coming back was quite exciting to those who fondly remembered the old strategy classics.

These days, this kind of thing is fairly common, particularly in the movie industry. Older franchises are either remade, re-packaged, or rebooted. Some are more successful than others, finding a new audience and being given a new lease on life. Others don't do quite so well and suffer a second 'death'.

What old, or even 'ancient', franchises would you like to see make a return, and in what form would you want them back? Is there an old franchise that could benefit greatly from today's online interactions or the mobile market, for example?

I know Namco Bandai brought back the franchise again (horribly) years ago, but I really want to see them bring back the Klonoa series once more. Imo, I think this series will go well either for the Wii U & 3DS. If they can give the games some better advertising, then Klonoa will become well-known and not be as obscure.

Another franchise I want to see return is Jazz Jackrabbit. Seeing a new game released on Steam will be pretty cool.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
Oviously F-Zero and Star Fox need to come back. There's really no need to seriously change their formula. Just put them on Wii U and I think people will enjoy them.

How about a new WaveRace of 1080. These games were epic back in the day. I think these games could make great 3Ds titles. They could use some graphical upgrades. I also think the 3DS is ideal, as a handheld could accomadate the short missions and courses. They could even the 3ds gyroscope controls for certain modes or challenges. I also think online leaderboards and races could really add replayability and depth to the game. Bring us 1080 3 and Waverace 4!

How about the ressurection of Banjo-Kazooie and 3d DK platformer. I know Rareware is owned by Microsoft, but RareWare titles could be a much-needed boost in exclusives. MS is sitting on a software goldmine that they aren't using! They should sell in back to the Big N if they won't put them to their full potential.

キラ

Yo!
Oviously F-Zero and Star Fox need to come back. There's really no need to seriously change their formula. Just put them on Wii U and I think people will enjoy them.

A new Starfox game did arise with Starfox 3DS (I think that's the title)! ^^

ihateghirahim said:
How about a new WaveRace of 1080. These games were epic back in the day. I think these games could make great 3Ds titles. They could use some graphical upgrades. I also think the 3DS is ideal, as a handheld could accomadate the short missions and courses. They could even the 3ds gyroscope controls for certain modes or challenges. I also think online leaderboards and races could really add replayability and depth to the game. Bring us 1080 3 and Waverace 4!

That's actually a really good idea! :D

ihateghirahim said:
How about the ressurection of Banjo-Kazooie and 3d DK platformer. I know Rareware is owned by Microsoft, but RareWare titles could be a much-needed boost in exclusives. MS is sitting on a software goldmine that they aren't using! They should sell in back to the Big N if they won't put them to their full potential.

Couldn't agree with you more. :nod:

There wasn't a Crash Bandicoot game at all last generation! I miss those games... Naughty Dog needs to make a new one! They're good platformers! They're just fun to play!

Banjo-Kazooie definitely needs to come back. It's a series that'll really do well on Microsoft consoles. Too bad Rare isn't what it used to be anymore. :(

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I've been spoilt so far with old franchises being revived. Deus Ex, Thief, XCOM... and a lot more. I've been enjoying seeing these old classics I once played re-born on modern hardware.

As for other franchises I'd like to see revived... hmm. It's funny because my instant answers would be all of the above! The only old games I'd like to see make a return would be Planescape Torment and games in that vein. I know Bioshock was the spiritual successor to it, but System Shock would be amazing to see in modern times. I still go back and play SS2 every now and then and it's still a lot of fun, but marred by the curse of the old PC games aka horrible controls, UI, etc. :P

Musicfan

the shadow mage
This may not count but a sequel to sky gunner. Other then that mostly everything that was said above.

Crash Bandicoot is the first thing that comes to mind. I had a lot of fun with the series as a little kid, but as a teen and an adult... I haven't really thought about it much. That's probably just because other series have filled the platformer void, and old Crash has been out of the spotlight for quite sometime now. I'm not quite sure if the quality that we have today (The revival of Donkey Kong and Mario 3D World might diminish the impact of another series of the genre, just because of how much I enjoyed those two) would make it possible for Crash to ever regain his former star status, but it might be worth a try anyway.

43ForceGems

Quid est veritas, Claudia
Battletanx!!! Oh my gosh that game is the number 2 symbol of my childhood, 1 being Mario Kart 64. But seriously Battlatanx is a fantastic game, and it would just be awesome if they made like a legitly good and realistic reboot

The TMNT beat'em up games were fun, particularly the 4th. Wouldn't mind seeing something similar pop up.

Chiraku

Demon slayer
Pulseman and Bravoman come to mind (the bravo app game don't count).
Maybe some old Sega games like Vectorman, that would be neat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom