• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Revamped Swordplay

Y

Yumil

I'm both eagerly awaiting and dreading when they show us how the next Zelda game will be played. I'm all for some better sword combat, but beyond that it scares me. I don't want to use the bow like it's done in Wii Sports. I think it's a terrible idea.

Here's something to consider: I need to move while I'm shooting the bow. Sure, the analog stick is still free, but it's also on the nunchuk that I am currently pulling backwards. Plus, I'm using the targeting system to dodge the enemy as I side step around him.

This is simple in Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker, or Twilight Princess. I hold the item button down while hitting A and moving with my other hand. It's very simple and intuitive. I'm not convinced the motion controls will be.

But like I said, I'd love to see more sword stuff. I just think the bow and other items are fine as they are.

Fahxy

Grand Campaigner
I think that the wiimotion plus is awesome, personally. As someone who actually practises swordmanship in real life, i see LOADS of possibiltitys. Each person could develop their own fighting style, and that would make marathons really interesting. Also, the items would be great. How would a bombchu work? the possibilities are ENDLESS!

Evenstevenp

The Zelda Master
Sorry for the minor bump, but this has been drawn to my attention. The wiimotionplus is a cool thing and all, but I don't think it would work with a 3rd person adventure game.

Imagine this was Zelda Wii.

the-legend-of-zelda-twilight-princess-wii-version-20060510042940072_640w.jpg

With the camera behind Link, the Wii motionplus would work fine. It would mimic your actions exactly, making more advanced swordplay possible.

Now imagine THIS is Zelda Wii.

the-legend-of-zelda-the-twilight-princess-20050517052631017.jpg

With the Wii motionplus, the game would attempt to follow your motions exactly, but because the camera is pointed at Link, the controls would be mirrored, making for awkward swordplay.

The only way that this would work is if the entirety of Zelda Wii was in first person. But then it would be... a bad game. They can't change the formula now.

Discuss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom