• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Returning To The Central Dungeon Idea

One not so popular idea introduced in the DS games was a central dungeon Link was compelled to return to after ever regular dungeon was completed. Spirit Tracks's partly alleviated the problem by allowing players to skip the portions they had already completed.

Where could Nintendo take this notion in the future? It would be refreshing to see a dungeon spanning multiple themes-all those Link encounters in regular dungeons. Rather than a bland series of corridors, each portion of the central dungeon could feature the typical forest, fire, water areas as well as any other dungeon environments in a given game. The Tower of Spirits experimented with this at the end offering some fiery pits to cross and areas where the Sand Wand was necessary.

Were you pleased with The Temple of the Ocean King and Tower of Spirits from Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks, respectively? How can Nintendo improve upon these central dungeons? Or is this a concept you don't want the Big N to revisit?

Satsy

~~SaturnStorm
I am okay with a central point which you may wind up revisiting. I'd almost be okay with it being a dungeon. But I don't expect to have to go back every time I finish a totally different dungeon. It is awkward, it is repetitive, and it quickly becomes a chore. Especially if your means of overworld travel are awkward already. No, I don't feel like navigating 2 separate map sections, through pain in the butt enemies and awkward navigation, to do a task I'd frankly be bored of after 4 trips.

If they're going to insist on making me revisit a temple/tower/dungeon throughout the game, it should not be as frequent as they made it for PH or ST.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I was fine with Tower of the Spirits. I thought it was a great dungeon overall...but the Temple of the Ocean King was a snore fest.

The Central/returning dungeon idea is an idea i can deal with BUT both PH and ST screwed it up. In PH not only did the dungeon reset after each visit, but it was also very predicated on stealth. something Zelda can never do right in my eyes and it certainly didn't do it right here, and on top of that, it was timed. Coupled with controls i found to be incredibly fiddly, this lead to a lot of lost time and aggravation. ST did it better and ironed out a lot of the kinks, the stealth was downplayed, there was no timer and the damn thing didnt reset meaning i wasn't dreading going back each time and i didnt have to spend overly long inside of ST's central dungeon.

However, ST's massive problem was that the world was pretty neat and i wanted to see more of it, but having to keep going back to the same place every time just made things seem bland and repetitive.

I dont think that the central dungeon can really be done right, the best it can do is annoy me a little less, but for a 3d game i don't think it'd work, backtracking in Zelda isn't a great thing unless things change, to have all the epicness of and scale of an HD Zelda game just to revisit the same places time and time again out of necessity would annoy me to hell, yeah i can go anywhere i want in a 3D Zelda game we do go to places more than once but not 5/6 times in a game, the closest to that would be in SS where we had to go to each province and the isle of song 3 times each, i found that incredibly boring becuase a desert is still a desert and a volcano is still a volcano no matter where you are on it, colour palettes were the same, puzzles and themes were the same.. it was just boring...

so even if you put the elements in on different floors of a central dungeon, still going there time and time again when you could be going other places would really bug me, especially if it was a trial like in ST and PH to get there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom