• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Returning to Religious References?

Cyg

One-Winged Skyward Angel
With the whole slew of pictures and videos of the new areas, mainly the Ancient Cistern, I wondered - Is Nintendo returning to religious/spiritual references, or at least starting to be more accepting and comfortable with them in their Zelda games? Think about it, it's no secret that Nintendo gave spiritual references in past Zelda games. The strongest one of these was in Zelda 1, where practically everything had Christianic references -the cross on the shield, the Bible, the point of Link almost being a sort of Crusader. Nintendo changed some of these in the remakes (please correct me, I'm not sure if it's in the remakes, or straight from the Japanese translation), notably the Bible being renamed into "Book of Magic". OoT also had religious references, mainly Islamic. The Gerudo symbol used to be very similar to the Star and Crescent symbol (I don't know the actual name). I've also heard about the original having a chant in the Fire Temple, with one of the distinguishable words being "Allah" meaning the Islamic god. These too were removed from more recent versions of OoT, the Gerudo symbol being replaced by Onox's symbol and the chant being replaced with MIDI music. This leads us to SS, which seems to have some spiritual references, this time Oriental and South Asian references. The Earth Temple has already been confirmed to be Chinese-inspired and have Chinese lungs (dragons) which are important to Chinese beliefs, but what really struck my eye was the Buddha-like statues in the Ancient Cistern. With this, it seems Nintendo is really quite comfortable with using these symbolisms, as they are placing most of the temple to be based on the Buddha and Shiva statues, especially since it would be very difficult to remove these from later games (the boss is based on the multi-handed shiva and the large statue in the middle where the entire temple revolves around is based on the Buddha). What do you guys think about this topic?

On a side-note, if the Buddha is referred in the game, how do you think it actually got there, in-game story wise?
PS - don't you think the black stuff holding the boss statue together look like Subspace shadow bugs?

Pic comparisons
Buddha:
300px-Buddha_in_Sarnath_Museum_%28Dhammajak_Mutra%29.jpg

Shiva:
250px-Bangalore_Shiva.jpg

Subspace Shadow Bugs:
382px-Shadow_Bugs_-_Brawl_Trophy.png

Christ the Redeemer:
images
284px-Cristo_redentor.jpg

Last edited:
There's also the Goddess Statue being reminiscent of the Christ the Redeemer statue in Brazil, I find it unique and clever how Nintendo uses these references, it makes the game more life like if you ask me. I don't really know why some get offended by it, there's no obvious discriminatory or derogatory remarks made at any point during the games, whether there be religious references or not. By now, Nintendo must know what they're doing and hopefully no disputes will arise from this (but to answer the main question, yes, it appears there will be many religious/spiritual references in this game).

Cyg

One-Winged Skyward Angel
There's also the Goddess Statue being reminiscent of the Christ the Redeemer statue in Brazil, I find it unique and clever how Nintendo uses these references, it makes the game more life like if you ask me. I don't really know why some get offended by it, there's no obvious discriminatory or derogatory remarks made at any point during the games, whether there be religious references or not. By now, Nintendo must know what they're doing and hopefully no disputes will arise from this (but to answer the main question, yes, it appears there will be many religious/spiritual references in this game).

I can't believe I forgot the Christ the Redeemer reference o_O

Cyg

One-Winged Skyward Angel
I would like to keep all that stuff out and just have a story line without that stuff I have friends who arent aloud to play Zelda due to this kinda stuff

There's nothing really wrong with it, it's not like Nintendo's trying to insult the religion or anything. It's just the people who are too sensitive to something that is not even harmful.

I would like to keep all that stuff out and just have a story line without that stuff I have friends who arent aloud to play Zelda due to this kinda stuff

I'm sorry but that's kind of ridiculous, it's sad how many people get so uptight over nothing. Glad my parents were never like that. Religion and art often go hand in hand, that's all Zelda is doing. They like to reference real-life cultures which often means some religious art, it's not bad and it's not insulting it's just art. I hope they don't stop taking inspiration from real life cultures because that is one of the things that makes Zelda great imo.

I'm sorry but that's kind of ridiculous, it's sad how many people get so uptight over nothing. Glad my parents were never like that. Religion and art often go hand in hand, that's all Zelda is doing. They like to reference real-life cultures which often means some religious art, it's not bad and it's not insulting it's just art. I hope they don't stop taking inspiration from real life cultures because that is one of the things that makes Zelda great imo.
I agree with this. I mean, it's not like the religion is being forced onto us, it's merely there as a reference and as you mentioned, a form of art.
I consider myself religious and I never really had any problems or second-thoughts when playing a part of the game or seeing something that was religiously influenced. It actually impressed me the way they connected to real world cultures and used them in such a way in their games. I'm not going to demand my neighbor's statue of Mary to be taken down, same as I won't demand Nintendo eliminate this reference to Buddha. It makes it all the more real to me, and really shows the diversity and uniqueness of the races and locations of the Zelda universe.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
There is still another reference pertaining to the ultimate source of power in the series: the Triforce. This artifact itself is split into three parts, yet united, just as the Holy Trinity. And the Triforce of Power alludes to God, who is signified as being omnipotent; Courage to Christ, for he came to this world, without fear, to die for our sins; and Wisdom to the Holy Spirit, because it guides us from temptation and, should we choose to listen, leads us down paths of righteousness. Yet there is a fourth triangle to the Triforce, and it is pointing down, therefore denoting in my belief the fall of the devil. And we are Link, going through our life and slaying the demons that harass us. I suppose Ganondorf would represent Satan, who in the end we must overthrow.

All this is symbolic to my conviction, and I only wished to point it out. Deem not a judge or intend to insult any.

Last edited:
There is still another reference pertaining to the ultimate source of power in the series: the Triforce. This artifact itself is split into three parts, yet united, just as the Holy Trinity. And the Triforce of Power alludes to God, who is signified as being omnipotent; Courage to Christ, for he came to this world, without fear, to die for our sins; and Wisdom to the Holy Spirit, because it guides us from temptation and, should we choose to listen, leads us down paths of righteousness. Yet there is a fourth triangle to the Triforce, and it is pointing down, therefore denoting in my belief the fall of the devil. And we are Link, going through our life and slaying the demons that harass us. I suppose Ganondorf would represent Satan, who in the end we must kill.
Whoa, I never realized that reference . . . but you seem to be very right. It's all related. My mom will be happy to here that . . . xD

The closed mindedness is very upsetting. If you are so insecure with your beliefs that you cannot even tolerate references to people who think differently than you, then thats just sad. Its horrible that people can behave that way in this day and age. The only thing thats worse is that they pass on this ignorance to their children.

On topic: I think the cultural references really spice up the game. I'm simply loving the Ancient Cistern. It looks like it may be one of, if not THE most beautiful dungeons in a Zelda game to date. It also adds a nice flavor to the typical water temple. After the Skyview and Earth temples, I was a little worried about dungeon creativity.

I'd like to see a snow area with Inuit influences. Typically, the snowy regions focus on a feeling of isolation. An Inuit vibe could add a layer of spirituality and respect for nature that would really make an icy climate come to life.

Cyg

One-Winged Skyward Angel
I agree with this. I mean, it's not like the religion is being forced onto us, it's merely there as a reference and as you mentioned, a form of art.
I consider myself religious and I never really had any problems or second-thoughts when playing a part of the game or seeing something that was religiously influenced. It actually impressed me the way they connected to real world cultures and used them in such a way in their games. I'm not going to demand my neighbor's statue of Mary to be taken down, same as I won't demand Nintendo eliminate this reference to Buddha. It makes it all the more real to me, and really shows the diversity and uniqueness of the races and locations of the Zelda universe.

I like the idea of real-world references, but at the same time, if not done right, the world could just become a mish-mash of different cultures that seem to be out of place. But I trust Nintendo to make it work ;) Also, I am quite religious, not in the traditional sense of like going to confession every week and praying the rosary daily, but in the sense that I trust God and kind of talk to him everyday :) Even with that, though, I'm okay with the large number of religious references, I don't know why Nintendo removed them in past game remakes. It seems Nintendo is sure not to remove it from this one, though. It would be difficult to remove the boss without affecting the game -_-

There is still another reference pertaining to the ultimate source of power in the series: the Triforce. This artifact itself is split into three parts, yet united, just as the Holy Trinity. And the Triforce of Power alludes to God, who is signified as being omnipotent; Courage to Christ, for he came to this world, without fear, to die for our sins; and Wisdom to the Holy Spirit, because it guides us from temptation and, should we choose to listen, leads us down paths of righteousness. Yet there is a fourth triangle to the Triforce, and it is pointing down, therefore denoting in my belief the fall of the devil. And we are Link, going through our life and slaying the demons that harass us. I suppose Ganondorf would represent Satan, who in the end we must overthrow.

All this is symbolic to my conviction, and I only wished to point it out. Deem not a judge or intend to insult any.

Whoa, that is deep man. Deep. But even with your awesome connection, I don't think Nintendo planned that, only because the Triforce was completed over two games. Wisdom and Power were in Zelda 1, and Courage was only introduced in Zelda 2. But great connection, so perfect, puts a tear in my eye :^D (there's one smiley Zelda dungeon doesn't have)

Last edited:

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Whoa, that is deep man. Deep. But even with your awesome connection, I don't think Nintendo planned that, only because the Triforce was completed over two games. Wisdom and Power were in Zelda 1, and Courage was only introduced in Zelda 2. But great connection, so perfect, puts a tear in my eye :^D (there's one smiley Zelda dungeon doesn't have)

Yet in the end, the Triforce was merged. Simply because they had not added the Triforce of Courage in the original LoZ does not, to my belief, mean it didn't exist in the game's world. Nintendo probably didn't ideate it at that point and decided that it should be united in the second. It could have resided in Link, the same way it does in later titles, but it was merely unshown. Just how I view it, though.

Cyg

One-Winged Skyward Angel
Yet in the end, the Triforce was merged. Simply because they had not added the Triforce of Courage in the original LoZ does not, to my belief, mean it didn't exist in the game's world. Nintendo probably didn't ideate it at that point and decided that it should be united in the second. It could have resided in Link, the same way it does in later titles, but it was merely unshown. Just how I view it, though.

Yeah, I agree. What I meant was that Nintendo didn't really plan it originally, but as you said, they might have united it and created the symbolism by the second game :)

I am kind of annoyed by the religious references...
When I play a game I want to be out of the world I live in and into another one.
I am just not a religious person so when I here things like this I tend to try to ignore it.
Which then epically fails....

Night Owl

~Momentai

I was thinking about that the other day and came to the same conclusion.
In books, movies, video games,etc. the struggle between good and evil is easy to see. Yet even heroes make mistakes. A true Hero will fix and set right any mistakes he has made in his quest. (we have seen link do that a few times).

I have found that The Zelda series, even thought it is non-religious, has reinforced ideas and qualities that are dying in today's world.

Yes I am a Christian, But I do not intend to judge or insult anyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom