• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Majora's Mask Return of the Masks

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
We all loved the transformation masks in MM. They provided great abilities, great visuals, and some amazing puzzles ideas, but do you think they should return. They were amazing, but should they remain a unique aspect of MM? Are they too tied to the eeriness of Majora's Mask? Or should Link put on the mask and let the fish-man return? (Epic movie title I just thought of: Fish-Man Returns!)

DekuPrincess

Are you serious?!?
I would love to see another game where transformation into different races shows up, but I don't think it should necessarily be the same races with the same abilities as MM, and I definitely don't think the masks should be the spirit of specific members of the race--that is something that should stay in MM as repeating it would feel too recycled.

I feel like there was a similar thread a few weeks ago and someone (sorry whoever it was, I don't remember) had an interesting idea wherein the premise of a game involves some sort of cold war between the races, and the transformation masks would be needed to negotiate between different parties. It would also be cool to see something where the masks allow you to move freely throughout a society and their region, but traveling there without the mask requires use of stealth tactics--sort of like the Gerudo card in OoT but obviously giving you even more access to the society because they would recognize you as one of them completely, not just as a visitor they tolerate. This could allow you to create different alliances, and learn different things based on who/what you appear as when talking to someone.

Awesome

The Creepy Uncle
This is a tricky subject for me. On one hand I'd love to see a game play similar to Majora's Mask with either the time mechanics or with the masks. But on the other hand, I really enjoyed Majora's Mask for what it was and don't really want another game to be a rip off of it. Majora's Mask being so unique is one of the few things that make it so awesome.

In the end though, I think I'm still leaning towards implementing the masks again. Honestly they were the best collectible items in any Zelda game. That being said though, it doesn't necessarily need to be masks. It can be something similar like how the Oracle games had rings that you collected. Basically just having worthwhile collectibles is what I want. I'm never one that is super picky about grabbing every piece of heart, but when I play Majora's Mask, I always get the Fierce Deity Mask because I believe the mask collection is more important than the major story arc.

SpiritGerudo

Flamey-o, Hotman!
I'd like to see transformation again, similar to Majora's Mask's masks and Twilight Princess's wolf form, but leave the masks in Termina. Transformation is a really cool way to make use of puzzles, and also to give more options to the combat. I for one really enjoyed Wolf Link, and I played as a wolf all the time. All I wish was for that the different combat abilities that Link gained, there were also ones for the wolf, and as long as they handled that right, I think Nintendo has a good shot at making transformation work again.

HylianHero

Gardener of Elysium
I would love to see a return of the masks, but it might ruin MM uniqueness and end up just a repeat of something we already had. So, probably not.

But what I would like to see is more transformation elements like with Wolf Link in TP.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Perhaps...but a little less. I think MM had too much focus on the transformation.

I'm surprised masks havent returned in whole of what they were in MM or even as in part in OoT.

It'd be nice to see them come back but having a main role again like they did in MM will totally create a backlash about nintendo not trying hard enough with new things, i think thm being very much MM's thing works very well for them. Personally i'd like to see even just a little call back to them but i think wholly they should stay in MM.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Sure, why not see them return in an even expanded glory? We didn't hear too many complaints about hidden skills being a natural evolution of the basic combat in OoT, we didn't hear too many complaints about TP's art style (in fact, they only game months to years after TP's release lmao, it got wide raving reviews simply because it looked almost realistic)...so have the next progression of masks in a new Zelda! I'm all for it; I do not think any aspect of MM should be tied to MM - this means we don't get any good character interaction (ironically, we haven't), any succinct dungeons (again, we haven't), and that general eeriness associated with the game! :I

Akuhime-sama

What's Life Without Adult Humor?
Well, to be perfectly honest, They appeared as side items in OoT originally, so MM can't claim them 100%..... and thus, I think they could be used in games outside of MM. I would like to see other games use them more so than OoT, without focusing on them like MM did.

(and by "they" I just mean the USE of masks... I know MM's masks- some of them were MM specific)

Personally, the potential of marring a game's reputation outweighs the benefits of seeing a past quirk in a future installment.

I enjoyed The Wind Waker but after two cel shaded sequel, the art style's value was tarnished. After The Wind Waker HD, I'll be glad to not see cel-shading in Zelda for another decade.

If masks return, I'd prefer if they were allocated to a lesser role as collectibles and quest items like in Ocarina of Time rather than method of transformation.

Lamentizer

Skeleton Of The Darkness
I would love to see the masks return for the new Zelda Wii U. Maybe even some of the same masks from Majora's Mask, along with new ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom