• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Return of AoL Gameplay

Zelda II: Adventure of Link is clearly an underrated game. It was one that, at first, I was even discouraged from playing. After a good amount of time playing it I was extremely absorbed into the game. It gives a great challenge that keeps you coming back for more with a fast paced style of play. It has a gigantic overworld with many different options for exploration and secrets. Here are some reasons why I would like to see a return of the game.

The difficulty of it is very challenging, but not impossible. It is a game that you have to learn to play as opposed to it simply holding your hand throughout the entire game. Not only was it challenging but there are times where it brings a greater level of intensity than most Zelda games offer.

Another thing that I find important to the series is adventure. The game has a huge overworld for the exploration. The overworld is filled with many secrets to find, some of them vital. This makes exploration even more necessary to the game.

The game also gives you many different spells and abilities that come in extremely handy. Most of the spells you learn are usually very necessary to the gameplay and are implemented very well into the game. The new abilities you learn are also very fun and useful.

I wouldn't mind to see another Zelda game like that. I know it is one of the most unlikely things that could happen in regard to Zelda games. Maybe a Wii Ware download?

Alder Dragon

Classic Gamer
I would love to see a re-make of Zelda II. Or perhaps not a re-make, but another Zelda game that uses this style of gameplay. The aspects of Zelda II that I liked the most were the spells and the experience system. It's not so much the side-scrolling gameplay that I liked about the game, but rather the challenge of the game. I would never say this game is my favorite of the series though, because it lacked a few "necessary" things in my opinion, like rupees, bombs (and bombable walls), and actual usable items, like a boomerang or bow and arrows. Like I said though, the spells were great and I enjoyed the experience system. I wouldn't mind seeing those return, in any Zelda in the future.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
I think it had some good ideas, but I didn't like the execution at all. If you made the whole thing 3D with Z-targeting possibility, improved the controls, added more stuff to do and people to speak with, made all the towns more realistic with differing characters, and made the quest a little clearer... you could probably keep most of the features and create a really good game. This would be more a re-imagining of the same concept as a modern Zelda game than a remake, though.

AoL isn't difficult with a walkthrough (that's how I played it), but it would be almost impossible (for me) to get much past the first palace without one. I must admit that although the game play isn't bad, I hate it more than any other Zelda game because the poor translation quality ruined it for me.

In my opinion, the CD-i games improved on AoL and have similar gameplay, but not many people share that opinion.

I would like to see that. Though, if you ask me, it would probably have a better chance as a DSi Ware download. There is still no DSi Ware Zelda game and I think side scrollers would probably be better on a handheld.

I think it had some good ideas, but I didn't like the execution at all. If you made the whole thing 3D with Z-targeting possibility, improved the controls, added more stuff to do and people to speak with, made all the towns more realistic with differing characters, and made the quest a little clearer... you could probably keep most of the features and create a really good game. This would be more a re-imagining of the same concept as a modern Zelda game than a remake, though.

AoL isn't difficult with a walkthrough (that's how I played it), but it would be almost impossible (for me) to get much past the first palace without one. I must admit that although the game play isn't bad, I hate it more than any other Zelda game because the poor translation quality ruined it for me.

In my opinion, the CD-i games improved on AoL and have similar gameplay, but not many people share that opinion.

Stuff like the quest being unclear and the towns not differing are more or less an issue that had to do with the game being old. I think the quest was equally as clear as LoZ. I think a modern translation of the game would be more clear on the quest.

Kazumi

chagy
I would really love for the Adventure's of Link style game play to return. It was always very fast paced and exciting. And I always felt particularly good when I executed an awesome combo, or defeated a Red Daria (Spelling?) without taking a single hit. I also loved the difficulty, but at times it could be really frustrating. If they did make a new game like this, they'd need to lower the difficulty a bit, or maybe make an easy mode like they did with Mega Man 10.

I also really like the experience system, because it felt way more rewarding then leveling up in say, Final Fantasy, and you could use a lot of strategy when planning what to upgrade. If they did make another game like AoL, I would like more categories to upgrade, like maybe speed or how effective spells are. Or maybe how much Magic they cost.

And further more, I would like it to take more aspects from other games, like the use of items. It kind of made me sad that AoL didn't have something like a boomerang or bow. Or even bombs.. Something like that would have come in handy. I would also like the return of the massive overhead over world, but I wouldn't say no to more detail or things like that in the over world.

I think that Wii Ware or maybe even DSi Ware would be a perfect platform for a remake or new game using this style. Maybe with 16 Bit or 32 Bit (Minish Cap-like) graphics. Or maybe even a full release, doing something like New Super Mario Bros. Wii. And it would be called New Super Link Adventure Wii. Yeah.. Not like a return of this style would ever happen though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom