• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

RETRO gaming

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
the 6th generation is pretty much the oldest i'll go back in terms of owning the console
plus a lot of older games over the generations have been ported in either some kind of collection disc or online shops [psn,virtual console,etc.]
and above all there's emulation,which thankfully my sorry ass computer is able to handle 5th generation downwards [....well,somewhat on that 5th gen]

There are very few retro games I enjoy anymore. Ever since I realized that most retro games are unrefined trash I basically gave up on deluding myself that any of them are of any noticable quality. No I'm not a retro gamer. I'll leave it at that.

You know, its true that in those days there were crappy games, but there were also good games and mediocre ones and just weird ones, just like today and just like today those old games were once new and there are plenty of fine standouts amongst them and one day these new games will become old. I'm not gonna try to convince you to like them, anymore then my old HS teacher could've convinced me to like classic films such as Gone With the Wind or The King and I, but just because something is old, doesn't automatically make it trash, it just means that some people don't like them.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
wouldn't even call them retro because they destroy all of these newer **** games that release. that being said, I do play those older games but on the original hardware. emulation is a joke to me..

Spacefiller

waiting for life to start
wouldn't even call them retro because they destroy all of these newer **** games that release. that being said, I do play those older games but on the original hardware. emulation is a joke to me..

A joke? This is some serious **** Yo!

16243176207_f7f98ba4d0_z.jpg

Installing MAME this weekend, anyone else tried MAME?
Make works but it's pretty picky as to which versions of each rom it likes. I only ever got a few games working with Mame. I'm not a huge arcade game fan though. Maybe you'll have better results than me.

Also even though some of the game we are talking about here are 20 to 30 years old, some of them ate still very good. Well worth playing even today, if you can accept the fact, that they are not overbloomed and not HD. Nintendo's VC as well as the many good emulators out there all keep these good old games alive. I've found good emulators for (NES, SNES, GC and Wii). But I've yet to find a good one for the N64. Most N64 games (to me) don't stack up that well today anymore. They just look really dated. Well I guess the N64 was the NES or Atari of the 3D gaming world, one of the 3D gaming pioneers. New and amazing at the time, because true 3D games (as opposed to 2.5D games like Doom) were so new at the time and really wowed us. A few still shine though to today if you can look past the graphics.

If I had to say which Nintendo systems look the best today, I'd say the SNES wins on that one. It took the 2D gaming which didn't start on the NES, but the NES made it much more popular, and perfected it in 16 bit brilliance. Starfox being one of the exceptions, but it was a 3D game before it's time. Liking these older games I think is cool if you don't stay stuck in the past. A healthy balance between older and newer games I think is best.

Mmm yes, you know I was taken aback recently when I heard songs off of Soundgarden's Superunknown(a defining album of my teen years) being played on a "classic rock" station. I remember when classic rock was like The Doors and Creedence Clearwater.

Being in your 30s is a weird time, the people 40+ tell you that you are in your prime of life, but the late teenies/early 20sometings act like you are old already. I personally prfer the "prime" mindset...but truth be told I think I will just get better with age...age like fine wine and all of that;)
I'm soon to turn 30. This year actually. So I'm about to enter the world of which you speak. I personally believe it's ok to have fun in your 20's and live life. But by the time you are 40 you are expected to have made something of yourself. But in the 30's your in a transition period. Should I still enjoy life or should I sacrifice to be a bigshot by the time I am 40? I don't look forward to turning 30, but I don't hate the idea either. I'm in the middle, it not bothering me at all either way. To cut a long story short, I think as long as you are happy with yourself, then there is nothing to be worried about.

Age is relative. No matter what age you are, younger than yourself is always young and older than yourself is always old. My grandma considers me still a child but little children call me old. It's all a relative thing. I say, compared to an oak tree we are all still very young :)

Claire

The Geekette
Yes! ♡

I am way behind on the current generation because I'd rather play older titles. As expected, I spend much more time and money buying retro games than keeping up with the current generation. I play and collect from a wide variety of systems, though my recent interest is in acquiring games created for the Famicom and Super Famicom.

Even though I'll be working full-time over the summer, I always make time to hunt for games in the wild. The perk to my internship is it's in another county, so I can expand my territory. Another summer project is a bartop (mini) cabinet. I haven't decided if I want to use MAME or store the console inside... hmm...

I really love anything NES or GB related, though collecting has branched into K.C. Munchkin for the Magnavox Odyssey 2 (CI:cool:. There's something alluring in old games and consoles, the simplicity and pioneering, perhaps? Whatever it is, I'm hooked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom