• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

RETRO gaming

Spacefiller

waiting for life to start
Anyone else into RETRO gaming?
I recently made a Zelda shrine down in my mancave that includes my N64 and SNES (I own OOT and ALTTP cartridges of course). (Big regret I threw out my NES in 2011, I wished I would have attempted to fix or at least hacked it to make something cool).

Anyways, I am a Raspberry Pi enthusiast and have been getting into retro game emulation. I am running an Atari 800 emulator, an Atari 2600 emulator, and MAME. Also have an NES emulator on Ubuntu.

It is so fun...I have mostly been playing the Atari emulators and have like 4 Star Wars games, some Star Trek games, and quite a few versions of Pac Man and Mario Bros.

Some other ones that I like are Bruce Lee(awesome!), and DEFENDER!!!
But my all time favorite has to be River Raid.

To be honest, this is the only gaming I do outside of the Nintendo universe, my newest systems are Wii U and 3ds(currently playing Hyrule Warriors and finally got around to purchasing WW HD and A Link between words).

I don't know a lot of other "gamers" like me, truth is I'm not much of a "gamer" but I love to fiddle with emulators and older electronics...

I would rather play Contra (1987) more than Call of Duty anyday...

Badjacoon

Corn fused
I am very much into Retro gaming!
I have a working NES, SNES, 64, and Gamecube with 30+ games on each and of course the Wii and Wii U.
I also have my original NEO GEO and quite a few games. I have not completed my game room yet, but I do have all the systems working and all the games for each system separated. I plan in the next few months to complete my true Retro gaming, game room.
This room will have my Zelda collection on display and it will be easy to switch from one system to another, nice gaming couches, some neon arcade lights, really anything cheesy and nostalgic! It will be my own dorky Retro Gamer version of a man cave. I have a full size lord of the Rings pinball machine and an original Ms. Pacman machine to go along with it!!
Thanks for the post! Sounds like we are very similar in gaming style. I would much rather play contra over Call of duty. Wizards and Warriors over Skyrim. Tecmo Bowl over Madden. But that's just me!
Don't get me wrong I do love some of the newer games too! I guess I just hold the nostalgia for the old school!!

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
It's so strange for me how things associated with my childhood and teens have now become "retro". I don't define myself as a retro-gamer, but I do seek a bit backwards to older console titles rather than going for a lot of the new stuff, even though I do play some new games. I guess I go a bit back and forth. When older games begin to feel stale or I just need a break, I look for something newer to play and when the newer games feel too gimmicky, flashy and overcomplicated I look for something older to play.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Nope, not at all. I never played very old games so I have no nostalgia or 'awe' of games we'd consider retro and just find the majority of it all pretty terrible, the few times I've played old games for curiosity's sake. I'm sure I'd have enjoyed them if I played them on release but I definitely don't now. I do like learning about them and therefore I love the Youtube channel Game Sack, especially since they don't fleet over the negatives and problems of old gaming, and there was a lot it seems, but I have no desire to play any of them. Anything pre-Half Life is basically just a direct no from me with very few exclusions (old Sonic, for instance, I still enjoy), but I'm very happy playing current games and it's not like I'm running out of games to play and need to look back multiple generations to find some.

キラ

Yo!
I'm a big retro gamer! I love older games because I love reliving my childhood!

I've had so many Zelda games on so many consoles and systems. Same with the Mario games. My friend Victoria comes over all the time and we always play SMB3 on my Wii U! I love all the old Mario games, but especially SMW!

I love playing the old Resident Evil games. I'm not sure if 4 counts as retro yet, but it's my favorite!
I remember going to Toys R' Us the day it was released with 2 coupons so I only paid $25 that day!

I still have a PS1! I have Final Fantasy VIII on it. I also had Crash Bandicoot 2, but it's all scratched up. I love the Crash Bandicoot games! I love Spyro too! My friend Brenton had that game on his PS3 and we loved playing it, but he sold his PS3 towards an Xbox One. I also love the GEX games, all of the Tekken games, and some more that I'm forgetting at the moment.

I had an N64, but I gave it to my friend Brenton for Christmas, along with MM and SM64. I didn't play it enough for some reason. Of course I love OoT and MM. Pokemon Stadium 1 and 2 are super fun! Mario Party! All of the Mario sports games. Pokemon Snap. Blast Corps. Chameleon Twist. A bunch of others that I'm forgetting lol.

Dreamcast is awesome. The Sonic Adventure games are awesome. Soul Calibur! The old Tony Hawk games (which I also had on PS1 and N64).

So many great NES games like the Zelda and Mario games, the Final Fantasy games, Donkey Kong, Punch Out, Kirby's Adventure, Dragon Quest, the Mega Man games, all of that!

SNES, for Super Mario All-Stars, Super Mario RPG, Super Mario World 1 and 2, ALttP, Donkey Kong Country 1-3, Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter II, Earthworm Jim, the Final Fantasy games, the Mega Man X games, all of that!

I love playing Pac Man and Galaga at the arcade!

And there's a bunch more I can't remember lol!

Iridescence

Emancipated Wind Fish
I do like retro gaming. it's fun to be able to just pick up and play a game and beat it in the same night without having to spend 20 hours leveling up or stuff like that.

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
There are very few retro games I enjoy anymore. Ever since I realized that most retro games are unrefined trash I basically gave up on deluding myself that any of them are of any noticable quality. No I'm not a retro gamer. I'll leave it at that.

that's awesome! I'm gonna come to your house and play with you and I enjoy old school nes, snes and sega games more then I enjoy my own wii sometimes XD

I'm pretty big on playing retro games~ I still have my SNES in working condition and like to boot up Donkey Kong Country 2 or Super Metroid here and there for a fun way to kill an afternoon! I've done a lot of catching up with PSone and PS2 games that my friends have recommended to me, as I've missed out on a lot of wonderful gems from those two systems (despite having the systems in question).

It's kinda hard to play older games nowadays with people making so many games 'familiar' and 'easy to play' with similar control styles and things like that. But I do love a mix of enjoying classics and finding new and innovative games to play and enjoy in my free time~ :)

Djinn

and Tonic
I think I play retro games a little more than modern ones these days. Any time I think about Bubble Bobble or Mario 2 I just go play them for a while. They are perfect time wasters.

Also just finished up playing Chrono Trigger and might play Sieken Densetsu 3 again, it has been a while since I last played that one.

Spacefiller

I am very much into Retro gaming!
I have a working NES, SNES, 64, and Gamecube with 30+ games on each and of course the Wii and Wii U.
I also have my original NEO GEO and quite a few games. I have not completed my game room yet, but I do have all the systems working and all the games for each system separated. I plan in the next few months to complete my true Retro gaming, game room.
This room will have my Zelda collection on display and it will be easy to switch from one system to another, nice gaming couches, some neon arcade lights, really anything cheesy and nostalgic! It will be my own dorky Retro Gamer version of a man cave. I have a full size lord of the Rings pinball machine and an original Ms. Pacman machine to go along with it!!
Thanks for the post! Sounds like we are very similar in gaming style. I would much rather play contra over Call of duty. Wizards and Warriors over Skyrim. Tecmo Bowl over Madden. But that's just me!
Don't get me wrong I do love some of the newer games too! I guess I just hold the nostalgia for the old school!!

Awesome!
Yeah I'm pretty lucky to have a sweet mancave, I have a giant room in the basement that used to be a darkroom for the previous owners. It works out well because I am also a photographer. It is sort of a game room/music studio/dark room/photo studio/computer room/laboratory/place for general electronic wizardry. There were already built in shelves and an entertainment console of sorts built into the wall and so I have my camera collection on one side of the shelves and my Zelda collection on the other side. I have another room in the basement that is a gym and a bar/home brewery.
The joys of owning your own home :)

digressing,
I'm glad that there are other people that enjoy the original games.
Sometimes, you have to know where you came from to know where you are going. A good understanding of what made older games work and interesting is good formula for knowing how to program good gameplay in newer games. That is why I like Nintendo because I think they understand that.

Spacefiller

It's so strange for me how things associated with my childhood and teens have now become "retro". I don't define myself as a retro-gamer, but I do seek a bit backwards to older console titles rather than going for a lot of the new stuff, even though I do play some new games. I guess I go a bit back and forth. When older games begin to feel stale or I just need a break, I look for something newer to play and when the newer games feel too gimmicky, flashy and overcomplicated I look for something older to play.

Mmm yes, you know I was taken aback recently when I heard songs off of Soundgarden's Superunknown(a defining album of my teen years) being played on a "classic rock" station. I remember when classic rock was like The Doors and Creedence Clearwater.

Being in your 30s is a weird time, the people 40+ tell you that you are in your prime of life, but the late teenies/early 20sometings act like you are old already. I personally prfer the "prime" mindset...but truth be told I think I will just get better with age...age like fine wine and all of that;)

Yeah, I go back and forth too...was playing Hyrule Warriros earlier tonight...but I might start a game of Castlevania IV after I logoff here in a minute.

Spacefiller

I'm a big retro gamer! I love older games because I love reliving my childhood!

I've had so many Zelda games on so many consoles and systems. Same with the Mario games. My friend Victoria comes over all the time and we always play SMB3 on my Wii U! I love all the old Mario games, but especially SMW!

I love playing the old Resident Evil games. I'm not sure if 4 counts as retro yet, but it's my favorite!
I remember going to Toys R' Us the day it was released with 2 coupons so I only paid $25 that day!

I still have a PS1! I have Final Fantasy VIII on it. I also had Crash Bandicoot 2, but it's all scratched up. I love the Crash Bandicoot games! I love Spyro too! My friend Brenton had that game on his PS3 and we loved playing it, but he sold his PS3 towards an Xbox One. I also love the GEX games, all of the Tekken games, and some more that I'm forgetting at the moment.

I had an N64, but I gave it to my friend Brenton for Christmas, along with MM and SM64. I didn't play it enough for some reason. Of course I love OoT and MM. Pokemon Stadium 1 and 2 are super fun! Mario Party! All of the Mario sports games. Pokemon Snap. Blast Corps. Chameleon Twist. A bunch of others that I'm forgetting lol.

Dreamcast is awesome. The Sonic Adventure games are awesome. Soul Calibur! The old Tony Hawk games (which I also had on PS1 and N64).

So many great NES games like the Zelda and Mario games, the Final Fantasy games, Donkey Kong, Punch Out, Kirby's Adventure, Dragon Quest, the Mega Man games, all of that!

SNES, for Super Mario All-Stars, Super Mario RPG, Super Mario World 1 and 2, ALttP, Donkey Kong Country 1-3, Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter II, Earthworm Jim, the Final Fantasy games, the Mega Man X games, all of that!

I love playing Pac Man and Galaga at the arcade!

And there's a bunch more I can't remember lol!

You know..I never played anything besides Nintendo so I missed out on all of the earlier playstation and Dreamcsat stuff.
I think NES and SNES were brilliant!

Spacefiller

Nope, not at all. I never played very old games so I have no nostalgia or 'awe' of games we'd consider retro and just find the majority of it all pretty terrible, the few times I've played old games for curiosity's sake. I'm sure I'd have enjoyed them if I played them on release but I definitely don't now. I do like learning about them and therefore I love the Youtube channel Game Sack, especially since they don't fleet over the negatives and problems of old gaming, and there was a lot it seems, but I have no desire to play any of them. Anything pre-Half Life is basically just a direct no from me with very few exclusions (old Sonic, for instance, I still enjoy), but I'm very happy playing current games and it's not like I'm running out of games to play and need to look back multiple generations to find some.

There are very few retro games I enjoy anymore. Ever since I realized that most retro games are unrefined trash I basically gave up on deluding myself that any of them are of any noticable quality. No I'm not a retro gamer. I'll leave it at that.

Hey you know that's cool...like I always say sometimes you just likes what you likes.
"Terrible" and "Trash" are awfully strong words though but hey you fell what you feel.

It's hard to explain really...
having an appreciation for rudimentary forms of current technology.
To appreciate these things you have to be a fan of "subtllety" and that is not something you cannot really instill in others.
Some examples;
I like my enhanced MP3s played through my PC into my crystal clear ROKIT 5 studio monitors....but I still like dropping the needle on some vinylyon my old record player and hearing the warm snaps and pops.

I like playing my Ibanez RG through a multi effect processor pedal into my KORG didgital recorder....but I still like taking my acoustic guitar down by the river and playing it under a tree.

I like taking pictures with my high megapixel Canon, or my samsung S5...but I still like messing with old Polaroids and 35mm cameras with expired film.

I like Kindle....but still like cuddling into an old chair in the corner of an old library with a dusty hardcover novel.
These, like old games, are just things I appreciate.

Salem

SICK
I have organised most of my all consoles with an old crt tv in my room, it feels so great. ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom