• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Restricted or Themed Run Ideas

MW7

I've been replaying all the main console Zelda games again and will be on BotW soon. I've beaten the game four times so I want to do something different this time by trying to make the game either harder or restricted in some way. I once did a vegetarian run which made little difference in difficulty - to raise money I sold cooked non-meat food instead of cooked meat, only healed with non-meat food, and didn't hunt.

For this run I'm leaning towards either a 3 heart + no Champion gift use or 3 heart + no Champion gift use + no stamina upgrades. I'm leaning towards the former because I think climbing could become awful with no stamina upgrades, and the game could become a chore. Another idea I've looked at is a no clothes run or no protective clothes run (protection from environmental damage I mean).

The possibilities seem endless with this game. What ideas have you come up with or have tried?

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
The most unique run I've done was very minimalist. 3 hearts, 1 stamina wheel, no shrines, no towers, no beasts, no memories, no bows, and no shields (except when solving korok puzzles).

I allowed myself to build up my inventory, food, and armor as much as I could, gradually exploring the world and defeating monsters to level up the gear drops, but I did it all without any place to warp to except the plateau. Not using bows or shields in combat forced me to get creative. I used boomerangs and magic rods when I needed projectiles and elements, which is something I don't usually do in my usual way of playing. It was very different and it was entirely gameplay focused with almost nothing to do with the story.

Eventually I did the full boss gauntlet like that, and I was able to succeed without using a bow or shield once. That was really difficult, especially with Calamity Ganon. The whole battle took me half an hour. It was wild and a lot of fun.

Pen

The game is on!
Outside of the no Divine Beasts run and the three heart challenge run, the one that I had the most fun doing was probably my playthrough where I forbid myself from ever opening up the map screen except for turning off the Shika sensor and I enabled the pro hud mode as soon as I was able to, thus I had no map throughout the game and I also couldn’t see the weather forecast, how much sound I was making as well as no teleportation. This playthrough was fun in the sense that it forced me to get to know the world better and it felt more realistic in a way since the world became more alive and real to me as I explored it that way.

dtc

Explosive playthrough, you can only use sheikah bombs and bomb arrows. No weapons, no shields.

Reactions: MW7

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom