• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Twilight Princess Resistance - Agains What?

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
However arbitrary they're inclusion may appear, they still served a purpose in the game. It was their dutiful obligation to scout out the areas where strange events seemed to be taking place, and stemming the flow of obvious evil from there. Link just so happened to be the inside man who would expunge the evil, as was the case when he informally "joined" their resistance group. By thwarting the evils, they effectively stopped Zant--and by extension, Ganondorf--from gaining total control of each domain.

Hence, there was resistance. ;)

1) I don't think they ever called themselves the resistance...

They never really had a name in-game and are just referred to as "the group", but in Hyrule Historia, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess Trading Cards, and the Prima Guide, the group is called "The Resistance" as here:

Hyrule Historia said:
The Resistance
An organization that uses Telma's Bar in Hyrule Castle Town as a base for its maneuvers. The members are currently investigating the unusual phenomena that have been occurring all across the world. Telma is impressed by Link's skills and invites him to join the group.

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess Trading Cards said:
[Telma] is also the leader of the Resistance, whose members secretly meet at her bar and work toward the common goal of restoring peace in Hyrule.

Prima Games Twilight Princess Strategy Guide said:
He takes off his helm and talks about Uli, the fact that the children are safe, and that he's joined the resistance as he wants to help the cause.

If you want in-game quotes/evidence, then I am sorry. ;-;

Anywho, back on topic. I thought they were aware of what was going on in Hyrule as in the invasion of Zant/Ganondorf. ^^

I always assumed it was the Twilight stuff, but even then they were pretty much ghosts at the time. Maybe they just figured stuff was happening but didn't know it. Although they were right about some evil forces, considering the power of the mirror shards.

I think they did play a role and knew what was going on.

I'm sure they noticed Zant and all of the evil invading around them/ the Twilight

Also, they each had individual hunches about evil vibes coming from a specific area- these hunches would lead us to the 4 mirror shards. Auru must've heard legends abot the mirror and spoke to the rest of the resistance about it. Maybe they thought the evil vibes could've had something to do from the mirror, just didn't say because they weren't sure. Either way, they lead Link to the shards. so thank you resistance

I guess there is some truth to this. Perhaps the real issue (or non-issue) here is the way in which the plot writers went about conveying the Resistance's role. Needless to say, it could have been handled a little better.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Well if we look at this purley from an in game perspective, then there inclusion, like most have said, was very little indeed. I think this was mainly because the game still wanted to capture the idea of Link being a "lone wolf", maybe if they had a bigger influence it would have impacted the idea of Link as a whole.

However, they did have some impact. Look at all of the characters in the game... Now I doubt many people could name that many characters that genuinely helped Link on his journey. This group certainly did, but they're influence was toned down somewhat to still keep that feeling of Link being this lone hero.

Plus regarding them being a "resistance", well they are if you think about it. They are resisting against the evil in the world, now why didn't they get far? Because they see evil as the random monsters scattered across Hyrule and these random events that seem to occur, but they remain oblivious. They are accomplished people, but they don't have the required knowledge to truly tackle what's out there. Link only knows because he befriends Midna and as well as meeting helpful spiritual figures along the way -- such his role as the hero is. So their role was to take a back seat and try and find out what indeed is happening -- this explains why they spent their time planning and investigating.

So I do feel they did help somewhat, they were certainly better than those cowardly Hylian Soldiers who ran off at the sight if a mentioning of a monster. But more of a backseat figure, yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom