• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Twilight Princess Resistance - Agains What?

PapilioTempesta

Tots Som Pops
Hi there!

I was just answering the thread about your favorite TP resistance character, and as I wrote I kept thinking that, judging solely in what they tell us in the game, the resistance people have no idea of what's really going on in Hyrule.

They are organized, but against what? All they have to think about between drinks (their headquarters is Telma's bar, which is noting like the Milk Bar at all;)) is:

-Auru thinks there is something wrong in the desert -he might have heard legends about the mirror, because nothing was really wrong until Link came and Zant revived a giant fossil.

-Ashei thinks there's something evil in the mountains. This evil turns out to be a harmless Yeti that lives with his wife in an abandoned mansion.

- Rusl says the problem is in the forest. The most dangerous think there is the skull kid, because Rusl had no way of perceiving the evil inside the time temple (locked away by the master sword and possibly in another time zone).

- Shad is just obsessed with the Ooca, I wouldn't ever have him into consideration.

All in all, the only real evil they might be aware of and finghting against is the overabundance of Bubblins that lately linger in Hyrule -remember they massacred Kakariko and the Hidden Village, and kiddnapped the Ordon children to let them die- but nothing else. They help you out in the castle, but even then i'm not sure if they think the Bubblins have attacked the castle, or if they have any idea that their kingdom has been invaded for a few weeks.

so, what do you think? They are cluless, or know more than they tell? Are they a group of friends playing heroes or is there more?

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
If you heard what Telma said to you about her group of friends you are aware they absolutely KNOW what is going on and they are against it. Also when you take Midna to Zelda after she is mortally injured you'll have to cross the ropes in Telma's bar. There you'll see the Resistance Group and listen. They definitely know what is going on. Link is on a quest and he has to find the Mirror Shards so he can continue his quest. Link learns the real reason behind all was Ganondorf. But before he can reach Ganondorf he first has to deal with his servant Zant. To reach Zant he has to find all shards to repair the Twilight Mirror. The Resistance Group all have their own personal task and interest besides their common interest. Each member of the group is a key to a certain area where Link needs to go to defeat evil. With all these evil forces being eliminated there is only one task left and that is like I said earlier Zant and finally Ganondorf. Without the shards the Group can't go any further either. And the group saves Link's life. When the Bulblins attacked Link the Resistance Group saves him. I definitely wouldn't call it just sitting there and drinking. Keep in mind it is just a game and you'll need a certain point to continue in the game and move on to the next Temple and that's Telma's bar.

Yeah, come to think of it, their inclusion in the game was sorta random altogether. It's as though Nintendo didn't want their neat designs to go to waste, so they threw them in where they saw fit. Their name alone was a big, fat wad of misnomer, as "The Resistence" implies that they're revolting against an evil tyrant or something. However, it is never fully explained who or what they were trying to "resist." It's as if they were trying to find out themselves.

Aside from Shad, who played a sizable role, I have a small theory that the Resistance as a whole might have originally had a clear cut goal in mind, as well as served a larger role, in the early planning for the game. As development went on, so perhaps did their overall involvement in the plot (or something along those lines). It would have been neat if they followed you into the dungeons, if nothing else. At any rate, I wholly agree; they definitely seemed quite clueless as to the goings-on in Hyrule.

JoeDeLait

Zig Zag Wanderer
They were possibly added in at the end, but I really liked them. Although, Rusl, Shad and Ashei's appearance at the end was pointless as it was Auru's cannon that dealt with the bulblin archers. And also I thought that Rusl not revealing himself and his golden cuccoo were awesome :)

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
i think the Resistance Group was a cool idea, but like most of you feel, i feel they should have had a larger role. who knows, maybe we will get a game set during the imprisoning war and we will get a real resistance group that plays a larger role

Salem

SICK
And also I thought that Rusl not revealing himself and his golden cuccoo were awesome :)
Come to think of it, why didn't he reveal his identity to Link earlier?

i think the Resistance Group was a cool idea, but like most of you feel, i feel they should have had a larger role. who knows, maybe we will get a game set during the imprisoning war and we will get a real resistance group that plays a larger role
I don't know, giving them a bigger role could take to much of the action from Link, and devote the story to them, giving them too small role might make them useless, adding characters like that is kinda hard.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
1) I don't think they ever called themselves the resistance...

2) They are resisting Zant/Ganondorf who took over.

PapilioTempesta

Tots Som Pops
2) They are resisting Zant/Ganondorf who took over.

Indeed, but Link knows perfectly who the enemy is (well, he doesn't know about Gannondorf until the end). The question is: do the so-called resistance know about Zant's invasion? do they know there is an invasion of some kind? Or do they just notice there are strange/evil things going on (more bublins, monsters, weird things...) and suspect there is something going on

This is starting to sound like a Monthy Python's sketch.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I thought everyone knew...hence the obvious invasion, the citizens watching the castle blazing with flames, and Zelda stating that her people are all afraid of this evil.

r2d93

Hero of the Stars
I think they did play a role and knew what was going on.

I'm sure they noticed Zant and all of the evil invading around them/ the Twilight

Also, they each had individual hunches about evil vibes coming from a specific area- these hunches would lead us to the 4 mirror shards. Auru must've heard legends abot the mirror and spoke to the rest of the resistance about it. Maybe they thought the evil vibes could've had something to do from the mirror, just didn't say because they weren't sure. Either way, they lead Link to the shards. so thank you resistance

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom