• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Resident Evil Vs Silent Hill

Which series do you like more?

• Resident Evil

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Silent Hill

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
S

Spooknanners

I love both, but I prefer resident evil. Lately silent hill has been more on the horror scene though.

As far as horror games go, I would definitely choose Silent Hill. The first two SH games were the scariest games I've ever played, whereas Resident Evil feels a lot more like an action game and isn't scary at all. You know, no atmosphere or anything. So, yeah, Silent Hill.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Well I haven't really played the Silent Hill series so I can't really say much about it so I'm going to be bias towards Resident Evil. I'm sure the Silent Hill series is a great survival horror in it's own right, and I have been meaning to give the series a try and will sometime in the near future (I already have Homecoming, planning on getting the HD collection and Downpour). But Resident Evil just does so much right in the survival horror genre (Well, at least from 0 to maybe 4). The original styled games are just pure classics because the camera angles where new and the gameplay just made sense. It made the game scarier since you would have no clue as to what was around the corner. The limited ammunition was also a nice touch. Sometimes you had to make the bold decision of whether or not you were going to kill certain enemies or just avoid them. The music also helped bring out the atmosphere. Other games in the series also added other mechanics that helped keep the horror fresh. For example, Resident Evil 2 and 3 had an enemy who would follow you through doors. And even 3 was fresh with every playthrough since enemies would appear in places they didn't before.

Resident Evil 4 took things in a new direction that still worked and paved the way for games like Dead Space but lacked in scare factor when compared to other installments in the series. And 5 was just another story...Great game, just not a good Resident Evil game. It was more intense then scary. Although Resident Evil seems to be losing it's survival horror roots, Revelations is just weeks away and may want to claim them once again. It's taking the old, the new, and giving it a spin of it's own.

As far as horror games go, I would definitely choose Silent Hill. The first two SH games were the scariest games I've ever played, whereas Resident Evil feels a lot more like an action game and isn't scary at all. You know, no atmosphere or anything. So, yeah, Silent Hill.

Resident Evil went the linear and action route with 4 and 5 you know. Other then that, the first 5 titles where great survival horror games.

Last edited:
Resident Evil is more popular than Silent Hill so I expect more people leaning towards RE on the polls/posts. Now I only played RE 4,5 and UC and I have never played a SH game before. All of that is going to change since I ordered SH2 for the PS2 and the RE1 remake for the GC. I guess you can say the only reason why I made this thread is because I'm excited.:D I might make a thread about my impressions on the two games.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Resident Evil is more popular than Silent Hill so I expect more people leaning towards RE on the polls/posts. Now I only played RE 4,5 and UC and I have never played a SH game before. All of that is going to change since I ordered SH2 for the PS2 and the RE1 remake for the GC. I guess you can say the only reason why I made this thread is because I'm excited.:D I might make a thread about my impressions on the two games.

Great choice on getting Resident Evil REmake. That is the definition of a remake and it's also a very great game. Tons of replay value, cool surprises to those who have played the original, dark atmosphere, and just an instant classic. And in case you didn't know, there is a Silent Hill HD Collection set to release on the 24th for XBOX 360 and PS3. It features Silent Hill 2 and 3.

Great choice on getting Resident Evil REmake. That is the definition of a remake and it's also a very great game. Tons of replay value, cool surprises to those who have played the original, dark atmosphere, and just an instant classic. And in case you didn't know, there is a Silent Hill HD Collection set to release on the 24th for XBOX 360 and PS3. It features Silent Hill 2 and 3.

I could've gotten the RE remake years earlier. I played RE 4 at a friend's house and I thought it was pretty scary. I was probably in the 4th grade when I first played RE 4, so I wanted to get the first RE game. Now I went to my Gamestop with my mom and grandpa(who I call Popop) and I found RE for the GC. Now some employee wouldn't let my mom buy the game for me so instead I got some crappy Harry Potter game. I could've had an awesome experience with RE GC because I was young, so it could've had an impact on my gaming life. Thank you Gamestop for not letting me play what is considered to be one of the scariest games to date in a remake form. Now you are letting moms buy COD for their kids.:(

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I could've gotten the RE remake years earlier. I played RE 4 at a friend's house and I thought it was pretty scary. I was probably in the 4th grade when I first played RE 4, so I wanted to get the first RE game. Now I went to my Gamestop with my mom and grandpa(who I call Popop) and I found RE for the GC. Now some employee wouldn't let my mom buy the game for me so instead I got some crappy Harry Potter game. I could've had an awesome experience with RE GC because I was young, so it could've had an impact on my gaming life. Thank you Gamestop for not letting me play what is considered to be one of the scariest games to date in a remake form. Now you are letting moms buy COD for their kids.:(

That sucks. First off, it's not up to an employee to decide which games your mom can or cannot buy. It's her decision because only she knows what her child is mature enough to handle. She's the parent. I can understand if they inform the parent that it's an M rated game but seriously. Not allowing the purchase? Come on, do you seriously have nothing better to do then poke your nose into people's business?

For RE I've only played re 4 and 5, and Re4 was a great game. I've also only played silent hill on the psp and I have to go with silent hill. It's atmosphere was very dark and creepy. I even had bad dreams when I first bought it and poured about 4 hours into it.

arkvoodle

Diabolical
I'm actually completely torn between these two series. They've both managed to give me a chill, and have really touched on the Sci-fi and psychological aspect of things.

The RE series has always entertained me, as i'm one of these "Zombie Enthusiasts". You know, the one with the plan of action in case of a zombie apocalypse. You know...just in case. o-o The two way battle between the protagonists and Umbrella Corp + the zombies/mutated beings is always entertaining to experience.

On the other side of things is Silent Hill. The dark, creepy, twisted horror series that plays more on the psychological aspect of things opposed to the straight line of combat in RE. Though, combat is also present in Silent Hill, and is in my opinion more entertaining and satisfying. The story of Silent Hill is also a very interesting detail. I love the little backstories of the various deities, orders, locations and creatures that feature throughout the series. There's always a twist or reference hidden somewhere throughout, and the various enings never fail to suprise/amuse me. That is, amuse in a dark way.

Basically, there are aspects of both that appeal to me, and it's hard to put into words my love for these two series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom