• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Resident Evil & Metal Gear Solid Question

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
RE4's story is pretty much stand alone and self-contained so I don't think there's a need to play the others (If you do want to, don't forget RE0 and and Code Veronica as well as 1-3).

I've never played MGS so I can't answer for that one sorry...

EDIT: RE2 would benefit your knowledge of Leon though I can't think of anything story-wise that you would have missed by not playing the others that is not recapped in RE4's cut-scenes.

Last edited:

Garo

Boy Wonder
You need to have a fair amount of familiarity with MGS1 in order to fully appreciate MGS2. You can probably understand MGS2 with a cursory understanding, but I highly recommend playing MGS1 first, as some of the critical plot elements of MGS2 are going to rely on some familiarity with the events of the first game - a familiarity beyond simply reading the Wikipedia entry. It's on the PSN store for $10 if you have a PS3, and it's a very good game - well worth its low price.

I cannot speak for Resident Evil unfortunately.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
I would say that you should have a knowledge of MGS 1 before going into MGS 2. The series' storyline is a bit... All over the place. Playing MGS 1 first will give you some broader context and understanding as well as being something of a gentle way to break you into Kojima's story-telling style.

As for Resident Evil, no, you don't need to have played the previous games to understand RE 4. 4 is kind of a stand-alone story which ties in more to 5 than it does to anything that came before. The intro to RE 4 covers the absolute basics of what you need to know from the previous games so I would say that you could understand 4 completely without having played the others. Saying that though, playing RE 2 would introduce you to two of the characters from RE 4 and help you better understand their relationship but it's by no means essential.

Bottom line, I recommend familiarising yourself with MGS 1 but there's no rush to familiarise yourself with RE 1-3.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Like C said, there is almost no reason to play RE0-3 to understand 4, although Resident Evil 2 and 3 would give you more of a background on Leon/Ada and the whole Raccoon City incident, respectively. RE4 gives a decent overview of the events of 2/3, but I'd say it's better to experience them yourself. For the story as well as the gameplay, to see how RE has evolved over the years :yes:

As for MGS, I do believe it is rather essential to play MGS1 before MGS2. I myself was, am and probably will always be confused about the storyline since each game deals with a different aspect of war and all that stuff, so it's best to follow along as they desire. :yes:

Mrflamexd3

Wind Waker!
Thanks guys, i'm only asking because I plan to play PS2 games and not PS1 games. Before I play MGS2 (if I ever do play MGS 2) I will do my research on the first one.

Kirino

Tatakae
Thanks guys, i'm only asking because I plan to play PS2 games and not PS1 games. Before I play MGS2 (if I ever do play MGS 2) I will do my research on the first one.

I highly reccomend you play MGS2. It is a great game. I would just watch a walkthrough or read a synopsis of MGS. I would also reccomend MGS3. MGS3 is a prequel, and it's a great game to start with. You really don't have to play 1 or 2 to understand 3. Chronologically, it goes MGS3, MGS, MGS2, MGS4. Both MGS2 and MGS3 are for PS2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom