• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Replaying Video Games

Jetter

Type to myself in silence
I came up with this question and thought it was worth posting so...

Do you like to replay Games? I thought about this since I've started to replay Ocarina of Time (my first Zelda game) since I had aged and thought the gameplay would nostalgically change or that I would understand the game more. Currently I am at the beginning of the water temple and the only thing that has changed was game logic. I haven't used a walkthrough at all, but I use my seven year old brother to help me pick up on some sort of puzzle incase I missed something. And then I thought about games that I truly love, but just can't replay for some reason such as diffuculty or that feeling of limitations and boredom at the beginning. I've tried to play the Mother Series, but I shortly lose intrest due to the fact that I've watched someone play the series. Games like Minecraft or Multiplayer Games are different because you get a new experience and situation instead of the same dungeon, puzzle, mission, quest or whatever. Anyway, Discuss below.:D

It really depends on what the game is. For example, I loved Sonic Generations, but I doubt that I'll replay it. There just wasn't enough to make me want to come back. But Ocarina of Time, on the other hand, I've played through it at least 15 times by now. And the main reason is because of all of the little collectibles that you just want to get after the first or second playthrough. In other words, yes, I like to replay games if there is stuff that I didn't get on the first time through.

bubblecrash

Oh no its back
i've beaten TP so many times im sick of it now. other than that i only really replay harvest moon games. sometimes ill try speedruns though

Hylian Knight

Green Armored Menace
Certain games I reply I try to do something new like add a new limitation on myself such doing 3 Heart Runs on LoZ games although certain games no matter what I do just don't have that element of fun it's these games that I tend to trade-in and never buy again.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I love replying games. I do it on many occasions. Whether it's to accomplish more in a certain level, play it in a new way, beat it on a harder mode, or just for the fun of it. I've also tried something different recently with Resident Evil 5. I've played it so many times that it just feels easy since I use the infinite ammo all the time so I decided to limit myself to just a pistol and no extra ammo at the beginning of a level without picking up any new weapons on veteran. I also took my time to enjoy the levels and pay more attention to detail by walking from point a to point b instead of running all the time. I took things slow while making it challenging again. I also find games like Mario, Sonic, Halo, and Splinter Cell to be good games to replay just for the fun of things. They have such great levels. But when it comes to Zelda, Batman, Resident Evil, Metroid, and Gears of War, I have to enjoy them just to relive a great experience. It's those type of games that do all kinds of things right that it just makes you want to play it again from start to finish. Or even just go back after passing it just to accomplish things you haven't before and get the most out of it.

LolGames4U

Viceroy of Area 11
I've played OoT so many times it's not funny. After I beat Portal and Portal 2 I just wanted to play it again and again and again. I really love Super Metroid but I've been too lazy to get around to playing all the way through but that's one I'll replay. Super Mario Galaxy 2 has some incredible levels so I play that over again. Mostly Zeldas, Marios and Metroids are games I replay.

And Portal. :D

PK Love Omega

PK Flash's Good Twin
I sometimes replay stages to get Comet Coins/Chaos Emeralds/Hearts/Upgrades, etc. or to get a higher Rank. But other than that, not really. I restart ACWW sometimes, I restart a Pokemon game if I haven't played it for a while, and I always play Star Fox 64 3D for high scores and re-playabilliity. That's about it.

CelticMagician

Phantom of Time
It depends on the game for me, but yes, I do like replaying videogames.

For the most part, my older Pokemon games are the ones I have the tendency to play over and over again. Reason being, I like to try out different Pokemon for my team and nostalgia purposes.

Other than that, I've replayed Oracle of Seasons quite a bit so that I could finish the game 100% with Dimitri and dying the fewest times possible. XD And am replaying it again now because I haven't touched it for a while and miss playing it. :sweat: I also replayed OoT recently because of the impending Skyward Sword release. :3

There's probably a few others that I've replayed too, but I can't think of them right now.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
I'm really considering playing Twilight Princess again, but with Skyward Sword on the rise I know that my anxiety would be washed away. So for now I'm going to stick with Mario Kart Wii or Brawl because I don't have a game I'm set on, and they'll help pass these next few days by.

In the PS days, I use to buy a separate memory card for each (big) game and I would save at all the awesome parts. Magically, it always ended with 15 used slots perfectly. I had 3 different parts saved with OoT. I would go back and relive some moments every now and then.

Kazumi

chagy
It really depends on the game for me. To me, a game has to be something really special if I just don't want to put it down. For example, I've replayed certain games such as Pokemon Emerald, Wind Waker, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, Halo 1/2 and Deus Ex just to name a few. These are games that I really enjoy even if I've already played the game countless times before. They aren't even necessarily different each time, they are just such good experiences. However, the opposite is true for many any other games. Even though a game may be a masterpiece, that doesn't mean that I'm going to want to play it again. For example, I loved Mass Effect 2, but I don't think I would ever play it again. It's just not that kind of game to me.

Of course there are also games that don't have a clear ending, primarily multi player games. I'll play games like those for much longer than I would play a game with a clear cut ending. For example, I've played games such as Team Fortress 2, Minecraft, Civilization III/IV, and Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (multiplayer), much longer than I would play your average game because those games either have really enjoyable multiplayer, or don't have a distinct ending and consistently throw new things at me to keep the game enjoyable.

Of course I replay the games I beat,I couldn't tell how many times I beat Oot and these days video games are so easy that you can beat a game in 1 or 2 days,so if you dont replay it,its like wasting money(that's how a see it) exemple Sonic Colors:I beat this game in 3hrs...WTF,I paid for the game and then after 3hrs I'd stop playing it,no way,same thing with Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Metroid other M(they were at least longer than Sonic Colors,but still short) I made a second playthrough just to feel that I haven't waste my money on them,Mario and Sonic games should definitly be longer as for Other M it suprised me that it was this short,I mean I played Super Metroid,Zero Mission,Fusion and they took me alot more time to beat and I hear that the Prime games could take 40hrs each so what happened with Other M (Lol,I kind of out of the subjet),but yeah I always replay a game that I beat

I love replaying games. Usually I try to wait a while before replaying, but for some (like Portal, most recently) I can replay them right after I've beaten them. Right now I'm replaying TP to pass the time until SS arrives.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I love replaying certain games. I've replayed Star Ocean 3, Kingdom Hearts (all of 'em except BBS), all Zelda games I've played (minus Statellaview games for time limit concerns), Smash Bros (all of them except Brawl), and many other games. I usually play through them because of the fact that, no matter how tedious the beginnings may be, once I get midway through the game I just love it and leaving a save file at the midpoint of a game seems ludicrous to my mind. Oh, that is one thing that stops me from replaying some games: the beginning is a horrible thing to playthrough. This is especially true for games that feature a lack of skippable cutscenes, but some beginnings of games make it seem as if you're slaving away for no reason at all. The Forest Temple of TP makes me want to stab my arm or something because it is just so freakin' slow. All Pokemon games (I define the ending as beating the Elite Four or in the case of HG/SS/C/G/S beating Red's PKMN) make it seem as if I cannot progress because I have to do ALL of that leveling all over again; such a pain IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom