• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Tech Help Replacing Old Parts, or Starting from Scratch?

So I've had this decent computer for awhile now, I think just about two or three years. It's worked great. When I got it (it was a Christmas gift) my mom took the liberty of upgrading the Graphics Card so I could play some high end games with it. However, as technology evolves, my computer doesn't, so I feel as though some of its parts are in great need of an upgrade. However, I know a Pre-Built computer is not friendly at all with replacing parts, and it could be more trouble than it's worth. I also know that it tends to be more expensive to buy parts compatible with a pre-built computer. So I'm wondering if it's even worth buying replacement parts, or if I should just go all in and build a computer from scratch?

Austin

Austin
It depends on a number of factors. The most objective way to measure it would be to calculate how much it would cost to upgrade your computer so that it wasn't being bottlenecked by any outdated parts. If that costs exceeds $600, the average price for a decent gaming computer, then it probably would be cheaper just to start from scratch. With prebuilts, these costs can rack up fast; if you just need to upgrade your processor, you might find that your motherboard isn't really amendable to being upgrade and you'll have to tear that out too, then you'll find out your case isn't really taking too kindly to the idea of you mounting up another motherboard, etc.

Additionally, building your own computer is just a good experience. You'll be a lot better equipped to fix your computer when it breaks, and it might stop you from viewing your computer as some infinitely complex god-machine like most Americans do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom