• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Remade games you still prefer the original over

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
Generally remaking a game is supposed to improve or fix many aspects of an original game in order to bring it to a new audience. Though for one reason or another it doesn't always work out as it should, or maybe you yourself just wasn't personally feeling the upgrade.
Basically, are there any games that got remade that you still prefer the original version over? As in if you were given a choice to only forever play one or the other, you'd choose the original. It can be for any reason, the remake itself doesn't necessarily have to be bad.

Pokemon Gold and Silver.

The remakes brought new stuff with them that enhanced some quality of life features and had the games capable of doing more... but to me the originals were such a huge step up from red and blue that enhancing them felt like it kind of diluted them in a way.

They were their own thing originally and responsible for some features we still see today in pokemon games, adding things from other games and changing some of the visual style to look more like the latest games of the time felt as if it took away or at least hid the the true evolution that the games were over red and blue.

So pokemon gold and silver i prefer to their remakes.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
I'm gonna chime in w/ Ape Escape On the Loose, the remake of the first game on PSP
I didn't mind much that they took this game that required two control sticks and put it onto a system that barley had 1, it's jarring but it controls fine enough, but man I prefer the orignial's voice acting, especially for Spike, it was annoying to hear "eh" "EH" every time he jumped, also everyone's models are more rounded and doll-like and I wasn't really a fan, I kinda liked the sharp polygonal models of the original game, and it might just be me but I swear Spike moves slower

but then again I'm biased as all heck for the original game, and On the Loose was still a neat update

Quin

Disaster Master
Most of them, if not all of them. A good remake to me is when you almost can't compare them to the original games, and they stand on their own two feet. Best example I have is metroid 1 and zero mission. Both I like for different reasons.
There are some games that have better ports/enhanced ports/remasters though, thinks like LA>LA DX
But in general remakes that try too much to be like the original, lose some soul of the original too. most commonly the artstyle/graphics that get changed, and I'm not a fan of that.

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
Twilight Princess. So much in TPHD feels naked and weirdly iffy to me. It's not that the art style wasn't meant for HD - on the contrary, the game looks gorgeous when scaled to 1080p - but something about the textures in TPHD and the ui feels off.

Also Gamecube controller is so much nicer to play with than the Wii u gamepad.

~Kilza~

The Resting Sun
There are a few that come to mind. Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask is easily one for me, where they broke what didn't need fixing in the remake. Super Mario 64 is another, where the DS version just wasn't as good as the original. And Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire, where ORAS wasn't able to replicate the nostalgia I had for RS.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Majora's Mask is the most obvious example. From changing the boss fights, some drastically, to adding fishing and changing the save system. plus nerfing the Inverted Song of Time, the remake just did so much wrong that I can't help but feel like original is the far superior version of the game.

Might be cheating since I've not really played it but I already know that I dislike the changes in the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon remake because I feel like it's typical modern Nintendo trying to make games easier. I feel like the original had a pretty good balance in all areas but boss fights (OHKOs are fun right?) for difficulty.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
I feel like I’m the only person who thinks LA switch was a superior game and worth $60.

But as far as games that are better than their remakes... not much.

Majoras mask 3D is the worst for me, just due to the fact that it had no reason to change the things it did, as well as completely screw up the physics of the game. It also somehow completely retains all of the same bugs as the original, and then some.

I personally always considered the gba version of link to the past a remake and not a port, but I’d still say the original is better.

And finally Super Mario all stars. I just don’t like the art style/music. I honestly don’t think they fit well, especially for SMB/LL. Also the overworld remix of mario 1 is the same one people keep ripping and putting on crappy flash games, so those kinda made me equate the song with bad times.

S

Seadragon

I prefer the original OoT and MM, mainly for the bigger screens and controller. MM 3D also made some bad changes to the bosses and Zora swimming imo

I enjoy playing Super Mario 64 over the DS version based on finding the controls on the ds version awkward to utilize.
Like the inclusion of Yoshi, Wario & Luigi as well as additional stars to get (wish more remakes added content) but it's always such a painful process to get used to D pad again for movement when OG 64's analog stick is way more convenient.
If remade for switch they'd have to change the control scheme's back to analog stick which would be perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom