• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Religous Clubs in School

Sadia

Have a Punderful Day!
Recently, a couple friends of mine wanted to start a Christian Club at my high school. They had written up a proposal, and had gotten a teacher to sponsor them and all the details had been covered. However, when they presented their ideas to the Student Council Advisor, the proposal was rejected simply because the basis was religious. The exact wording was "We have no place for this in our school." Mind you, I go to a public school.

To put my personal opinion out there, I feel like this was extremely unjustified. I mean, a club is simply there for the purpose to get students who share common interests together. Why can't that common interest be religion?

I'd like to know, what do you all think about this topic? Do you think religious clubs should be allowed in schools?

Do you think religious clubs promote diversity, and help make students feel safe and welcomed? Or do you think it creates more exclusivity, and more division. Should schools be secular in general? Should religion be given a place at school?

Ganondork

you touch her butt and she moves away
At my school, we have a few religious clubs - Bible Club and Jewish Student Union are two that I can think of off-hand - and no one really has a problem with them. I've never heard any horror stories of anti-theists coming to the clubs and being jerks to the members of the clubs. Likewise, I haven't heard of any instances of there being problems between religious groups over the clubs. If anything, those are some of the most civil clubs.

I should also note that Jewish Student Union is the biggest club in the school, given the large Jewish population in my school (I think it's like 40% now). One of the particularly great things about it is that they are welcoming to people who aren't of that faith, as long as they can behave accordingly. I know for a fact that the Bible Club has a Muslim in the club, and no problems have really arisen.

So with all of this said, I'm all for religious clubs. I think they can be a nice way to build your relationship with God, while simultaneously making new friends. I personally found Youth Group quite daunting when I went to church, but I'd be more inclined to join Bible Club if I was still Christian. It seems like a very welcoming environment. I honestly find it kind of funny that I'd feel like part of a community at a religious club, and not church. I guess that's just a byproduct of how maturely the people at my school handle these clubs.

Personally, I think it's an awesome way to learn about your religion. I can't imagine the sponsor or the club president saying that their interpretations of the holy texts are the correct ones. I would expect people to have a voice, and say how they interpret it, giving people further insight on the subjects. This is an important thing in religion. Looking at a piece of scripture solely as literal - and likewise, only allegorically - is not good. It is very seldom black and white, and the gray area should certainly be considered. It'd also be refreshing to get new viewpoints from someone that is a part of another sect or denomination.

I certainly feel bad that your friends couldn't make the club. As far as I know, it's completely okay in the States. You could always bring it up to your principle, but I don't know what else you guys could do. I really hope that your administration will change their mind, as your friends certainly seem passionate about it, which is great! I'm rooting for you guys. :)

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
Speaking as an atheist who had religion/christianity as a mandatory subject for many years, I don't see a problem with kids having a religious club in school. It wouldn't be mandatory to join, and as long as the club or its members didn't cause problems at the school, what harm could it do? I only object to having religion shoved down my throat and/or interfering with my own personal life, not that people around me have religious faiths and want to talk to likeminded people about it.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
My school has a couple of Christian clubs, but solely clubs that are based around the Christian faith (we have two afaik: Christian Athletes and I think Christian Youth, but I'm not completely sure). Although I would like our school to have more clubs centered around a variety of faiths, I live in a predominately Christian area so it's often reflected into my school's culture and may influence my schools decision. I have nothing against religious clubs, so long as they aren't forcing people to join or oppressing any other faiths (so far so good at my school). I'm also a little iffy on having teachers running clubs (I think we have one teacher running one of the Christian clubs, but I may need to check). I believe that teachers should stay moderate at all times, and should abstain from expressing their own personal beliefs and ideologies. Other than that, I see no problem with the creation of religious clubs in schools -- in fact, I encourage it.

In a better world it'd be cool, but this isn't a good world especially when it comes to religion. Why? Because it can create breeding grounds for further animosity, depending on your area. If they did allow yours would they be willing to allow a Pagan or Atheist Club? Probably not, someone probably a parent would kick up a stink, which would kick up another stink and it would snowball from there and since it wouldn't allow one, it would have to allow nothing instead.

Clubs could also cause some members to either discriminate or be discriminated against and then people would get pretty PO'ed. So I can see their point precisely because such things have happened before in schools and if you guys still wanted one, I see no reason to get together after school hours or start a youth group if you don't already have one at whatever church you attend.

Last edited:
As long as they allow things like Atheist clubs and what not, I have no problem. It's either all or nothing though, they have to be fair and allow all different faiths and non-faiths and not ban one and allow another etc. I do see why some schools are skittish on allowing any though because in some cases it can get muddy legally at times depending on how involved the school itself is.

Because we live in a religious intolerant country.
Oh bull.

We live in a country where every single town, no matter the size, has multiple churches and community areas for religious people. We are dominated by religious imagery, our pledge of allegiance and even money have "God" in them. Our politicians publicly pray and give an oath on religious texts. In some states it's illegal to hold office if you are an atheist (despite that being technically illegal on a federal level). If anything, our society is intolerant of Atheism and non religion.

Hell there was a study recently that Atheists are trusted less than rapists in America. So don't give me that we are intolerant of religion here.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
I can't think of one logical reason why they wouldn't allow a religious club. Not one.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
Hell there was a study recently that Atheists are trusted less than rapists in America. So don't give me that we are intolerant of religion here.
Not that I don't believe what you're saying, and in fact I agree with you on how crazy-religious our country is, but could you provide a source to the study? I'd be interested in reading it. :yes:

As long as they allow things like Atheist clubs and what not, I have no problem. It's either all or nothing though, they have to be fair and allow all different faiths and non-faiths and not ban one and allow another etc. I do see why some schools are skittish on allowing any though because in some cases it can get muddy legally at times depending on how involved the school itself is.

Oh bull.

We live in a country where every single town, no matter the size, has multiple churches and community areas for religious people. We are dominated by religious imagery, our pledge of allegiance and even money have "God" in them. Our politicians publicly pray and give an oath on religious texts. In some states it's illegal to hold office if you are an atheist (despite that being technically illegal on a federal level). If anything, our society is intolerant of Atheism and non religion.

You must be living in a pretty tolerant state then, because some states are less tolerant of anything not Christian then others. And Atheism and the Big 3 Monotheist religions aren't the only ones in the world or even the US

You must be living in a pretty tolerant state then, because some states are less tolerant of anything not Christian then others. And Atheism and the Big 3 Monotheist religions aren't the only ones in the world or even the US
I am not sure what you're trying to say exactly?

I was responding to the idea we live in a religiously intolerant society, which in itself was a response to the OP where a school turned down a Christian social group. There is no way anyone can say the United States is intolerant of Christianity. Now Islam etc? Yeah, I can see that but this thread was started due to a Christian group being turned down so I was responding on that. I do agree that Christianity as a whole is accepted while anything not Christian is not. I don't know what you mean when you say I must be living in a pretty tolerant state. I admittedly equated Religion with Christianity rather than all religions in general if that is what you mean.

And I am also well aware there are more religions than the Big 3 and Atheism, especially being that I belong to one of those "other" religions.

I am not sure what you're trying to say exactly?

I was responding to the idea we live in a religiously intolerant society, which in itself was a response to the OP where a school turned down a Christian social group. There is no way anyone can say the United States is intolerant of Christianity. Now Islam etc? Yeah, I can see that but this thread was started due to a Christian group being turned down so I was responding on that. I do agree that Christianity as a whole is accepted while anything not Christian is not. I don't know what you mean when you say I must be living in a pretty tolerant state. I admittedly equated Religion with Christianity rather than all religions in general if that is what you mean.

And I am also well aware there are more religions than the Big 3 and Atheism, especially being that I belong to one of those "other" religions.
Ah my bad. I misunderstood you then

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
I'm all for it. I think clubs are wonderful ways for students to learn and have fun no matter the subject matter. As long as atheist/non-religious clubs are allowed in principle and practice, I can see no reason whatsoever why student clubs based on particular religions or religion in general should not be allowed.

I'm for the ability of students to form clubs for any philosophy.

キラ

Yo!
If there is a club for literally EVERY religion that the kids at the particular school practice, and there is an atheist club, fine.

But, what do people even do in religious clubs do? They already have their own communities at church, or their temple, mosque, or whatever.

I mean, doesn't Christianity club = church?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top Bottom