• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Releases You're Looking Forward To

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
The flames of war are about to ignite.

Dropped down a full month from its initial release plan in November, which is good because my wallet was already crying from the amount of releases then.

Astral Chain looks excellent; will try to pick that up when it drops. Hopefully it has a physical copy because I can't even fathom dropping eShop funds on a full price game. And the remaster of Rune Factory 4 cannot get here soon enough.

Maybe it's my depression acting up but I actually don't feel very excited for the Hollow Knight sequel, Silksong, right now. Avoiding gameplay so I can be surprised, but I just don't feel very hyped for it anymore.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
I've got some hype growing for Luigi's Mansion 3 so I'm looking forward to that.

Same though i hope it's not as stupid as 2 was, i hated the fetch quests.

Aside from Luigi's mansion 3

Hollow Knight Silk Song
Spyro Remaster Trilogy
Tentetively: BOTW 2
Links Awakening

Might look into Dragon quest builders if i ever get a switch

I just found out they were actually doing a Godzilla Vs Kong film next year. I'd heard mentions of it, but always dismissed them as more internet hearsay. But yeah, it's apparently already in the works.

I'm definitely looking forward to that however there is an element of apprehension. I was disappointed by the second Godzilla film so hope they can find their feet with him again and return to form for the Vs movie.

I feel largely the same. Though because the second Godzilla film got a bit of backlash Godzilla vs Kong may get delayed. I follow the monsterverse because it is way more interesting than anything Marvel cranks out (being a long term Godzilla fan also helps).

I wasn't too disappointed in the second movie. I got what I wanted from it and there were a lot of nods to the source material that I got enough kicks out of.

My issue was that some things just didn't make sense.

I'm gonna play a drinking game when it comes out and take a shot every time they say Skull Island. We get it guys, there's gonna be a crossover.

I think my issue with the idea of a Monsterverse is that, unlike with the Marvel films, whatever happens ultimately has no lasting impact on the titular characters. There are definitely Marvel films that fit that bill, but overall they have a progression to follow and a common goal to accomplish. The resulting Avengers Endgame was a film featuring dozens of characters who all had arcs, progression and motivations.

Contrast that to a monsterverse in which the bread and butter of the plot is "Who is fighting who?" and nothing else. Godzilla was the same being in the second film as he was in the first, and will continue to be in any following films. Contrast that to, say, Thor of the Marvel universe who begins life as a cocky prince who can't wait to be king and has ended his latest appearance by willingly giving up the throne after having matured into a wise and caring ruler.

The marvel films certainly have plenty of issues and are oversaturated to the point of absurdity now. I'm not trying to raise them up as shining examples, rather using them to show how I don't feel a monsterverse will ever be as compelling for anything other than action. Although I never liked the Captain America films, I enjoyed seeing his story come to an end in Endgame. It felt human and important. I'm not sure I'll ever get that in the likes of a Godzilla or a Kong.

It's that that makes me wish they were taking a more disconnected approach to the monster films. Occasional crossovers, yeah sure. Kong V Godzilla had to happen. I just can't see myself being drawn into a universe in which the main characters are just continually roaring and gearing up for the next fight. I feel it cheapens the sheer spectacle, and I'd much rather the filmmakers concentrate on the grandeur of these beasts individually rather than tying to tie them all up into one package.

That said, I'll still likely watch them all. I think it will just be more of a blow if there's a bad film as I'll know I'm forever locked into that continuity and can't escape it if I want to watch the films that follow it.

Yeah that's a very valid opinion and I do agree, Godzilla will always be Godzilla and never really evolve as a character since he is a big angry monster and indeed the pull is who is fighting who... but for me personally that's all I get out of Marvel films at this point.

When a Marvel film is announced I'll watch the trailer and see which villain they're using and that'll be as far as I go, but that's onky because Marvel isn't my thing and I jumped off the bandwagon after the first Avengers (yet i've still ended up seeing all of the other films, i just didn't enjoy them). Like I say though, it massively helps that I've been a Godzilla fan for years.

Either way I do hope Godzilla vs Kong is at least a decent spectacle and concetrates a bit more on the monsters and less plot macguffins like in King of the Monsters... "let them fight".

I'll be interested to see what you think of it.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Woah~ Spiders does it again!

Spider's games are classic middle market. Janky and cranky as all get out but with that originality and charm that can only come from creators on a budget.

Each new release is more refined and more professional looking than the last.

I was content to write them off after Technomancer ultimately failed to win my approval but their new Greedfall looks awfully tempting!

Woah~ Spiders does it again!

Spider's games are classic middle market. Janky and cranky as all get out but with that originality and charm that can only come from creators on a budget.

Each new release is more refined and more professional looking than the last.

I was content to write them off after Technomancer ultimately failed to win my approval but their new Greedfall looks awfully tempting!

This game has been coming out for ages. Didnt know it had freaky monsters in it.

Princess Niki

Allons-y
Staff member
Was looking forward to Pokemon Sword but not as much. Now all I have to hope for the rest of the year is the next Jackbox game. I hope Pokemon Sage (A fan game I have been looking forward to) is finished by the end of the year.

As for next year I am looking forward to Animal Crossing New Horizons and Tem Tem.

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion
Looking forward to new albums coming out this month.

On the 15th, Twilight Force will drop their new album, and on the 30th, Tool will drop their new album, finally, after 13 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom