• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Relatives/Friends Playing Zelda

Chelsie

tap the galaxy oh (◔ิз◔ิ♪
Okay, so I'm sitting with my dad right now as he attempts to defeat Scaldera in the Earth Temple in SS. He's finding it incredibly difficult (like, majorly difficult), and he's going on about how much he hates the Wiimotes/Wii Motion Plus. He says he misses the old N64 controllers. I think nostalgia is getting the better of him, but I've noticed that for some reason, a lot of my family/friends just can't quite seem to grasp Zelda, and how to play it. Obviously, not everyone is good at everything, but it's astonishingly hard watching my dad make Link repeatedly run into walls whilst questioning to himself "what am I doing wrong?!" It's painful. Does anybody else have any relatives or friends that have trouble playing Zelda or grasping the concept of Wii Motion Plus? I'm really, really interested to hear of anyone's stories on this.

Ocarina_Player

Will play for rupees
Ugh. I can't watch my dad play Zelda, Link reverts to a mentally challenged child whenever dad is in control of him. Doesn't matter if it's gamecube or wii, but it's particularly bad when he does skyward sword.

But my brother, sister, and cousins play so I at least have other people to watch and not rip my hair out.

Mask-Salesman

And now.. That imp has it
Only have my brother that plays with me, but he is a 'normal' gamer so he knows what to do and how to do it. Both have played Zelda's since the SNES.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
My mam's like that. Continually has to look at the controller to press the correct button and stuff, bless her. :P She liked the Wii though, and pretty much sums up why it was so successful. Doesn't take any gaming skill to swing it around like a tennis racket!

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
My mum & dad have no idea why we like Zelda games at all. We've even tried to explain the gameplay and general concept, but they still see it as "running around in a fairy costume chasing bugs" or something [actually I did finally manage to convince them it's a knight's outfit so that's a start].

I've tried to get some of my friends to get into Zelda games, but to no avail. I even tried a swap where they played SS while I played Mass Effect [they're big Mass Effect fans, I don't get the appeal] but even THAT didn't take.

My little sis is an average player. She knows her way around Zelda games real good but sometimes struggles with the bosses, which is fine. My big bro is somewhat better, he can get through the games at a good pace. But compared to them, I'm a beast. I can burn through the games with 3 hearts like nobody's business and can do things that'll make their heads spin.

Heroine of Time

Rest in peace, Paris Caper...
The idea that you even convinced your dad to touch the controller is completely foreign to me. And even more surprising is that he played Nintendo 64. I don't think my dad could even tell the difference between a Nintendo 64 and Wii aside from the controller.

My dad used to have pre-Nintendo systems, but other than that, he doesn't play video games. And my mom DEFINITELY wouldn't play video games. So I don't know if they're good at them or not. I can't convince them to play with me.

My younger sister plays games as well, but she doesn't really play Zelda anymore, so I don't know if she's any good at it. She beat TWW, PH, and TP years ago, however. ...She actually beat TP before me. But she plays mostly Animal Crossing these days, and a lot of Kid Icarus: Uprising, which she's WAY better at than me (or maybe she just has more dedication).

My friends play Zelda games occasionally, but I've never found a friend who likes them half as much as I do. Some of them have tried playing the games because of me, but they never beat them. So I think I'm a bit better than them, haha. I manage to find Heart Pieces easier, certainly, and die a lot less; when my friend sold me his copy of Oracle of Seasons because he didn't want it, when I reached the same section of the game that he had reached, I found myself with something like three more full Heart Containers and 40 fewer deaths. I was pretty proud of myself then. :P I haven't actually WATCHED a friend play for a LONG time, though. I just don't get to see my friends face to face much anymore outside of school. Sooo...

Salem

SICK
I have one sister who plays Zelda games as much as I do. My other sister and brothers don't play much , they do sometimes play FSA.

My mom used to play alttp all the time, she even speedruns the game.

Now that I think about it, almost my entire family played video games.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
I'm pretty bad at figuring out Zelda puzzles myself. It amazes me how some people can get through some Zelda games without looking at a walk through once. There are only a couple that I can conceive them being that easy. My brother plays Zelda from time to time and he is pretty bad on all fronts.

MW7

My family is pretty inexperienced when it comes to gaming, and no one but me could use the Wii Motion Plus well. As far as the Zelda series in general goes though my dad did obsess over the original Legend of Zelda. He would stay up all night playing it and created detailed maps of the game by hand. Oddly he has never touched another Zelda game since then. I did get him to promise me that he would play through A Link to the Past once he retires and has lots of time on his hands.

I have a couple of cousins who are very good gamers as well, and I remember watching them play ALttP when I was little. One of the cousins actually grew up to be a video game designer so he would certainly surpass me in terms of video game skills.

Also my best friend is a huge fan of Zelda. I do find myself a little anxious watching him play Zelda games because he does things differently than me and usually takes his time playing. I remember we set up two games of OoT once and raced, and he gave up pretty quickly. I do find it odd to watch someone else play a Zelda game because generally I notice things that I would consider "mistakes" if I was playing, but then I remember that it's just a game and that the point is to have fun. For instance I would never pull on one of the gravestones in Kakariko Village in OoT that only had a poe hidden in it, but of course there are reasons for someone to do that.

Sheik

:the:
I have absolutely no friends or family members that play Zelda. I'm sure most of them have never played at all, and several of them probably have no clue what Zelda even is. It's really hard to come across somebody my age who's a fan of the series...

I've always imagined that if I convinced my parents or some of my friends to play Zelda, they'd struggle a lot, like they've done with other games I've showed them...

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
My mum & dad have no idea why we like Zelda games at all. We've even tried to explain the gameplay and general concept, but they still see it as "running around in a fairy costume chasing bugs" or something [actually I did finally manage to convince them it's a knight's outfit so that's a start].
LOL fairy costume? I don't see any pink sparkly wings. Crazy.

My parents...aren't gamers by any means. They think it's a waste of time and etc. I remember when I first got TP my dad came in when I was catching a fish for the shopkeeper's cat. He was baffled, I think he thought the whole game would be that way lol. He said something about all that hype for just fishing. Then my brother plays SS and keeps going in the toilet room in the knight academy and making Link sit on it until he falls asleep and wakes up, then he pushes the button to get off and make it flush. Dad saw that too. I can only guess what he thinks Zelda is...

My brother is 10 and I got him into it. He's more interested in screwing around, not advancing the story, and he can't beat bosses by himself.

LilyPadGeek

Some Weird Person
Literally no one I know plays Zelda or any game for that matter... goodness I need FRIENDS. I suppose my family used to all play our PS1 together and such, but we obviously don't anymore. We can't really. One of those reasons being that our (previously alive...) dog chewed the cords to it many years ago.

Night Owl

~Momentai
My mom taught me how to play LA when I was 4-5 and I've been playing videogames ever since.
My whole family loves playing videogames, though my parents don't play as often as we do.

I guess I'm just one of the lucky ones that were born to parents who like playing videogames. :P

BoxTar

i got bored and posted something
I tried to get my mom to play Ocarina of Time on the 3DS. She gave up half way through the Great Deku Tree :dry:

And I don't blame your dad for hating motion controls. I hate them too. But let's not go on with that :P Everyone all likes different things, of course, so I'm never really heart broken if a family or friend can't get into the Zelda franchise like I am, but as long as they give it a shot, it doesn't bother me as much.

Chelsie

tap the galaxy oh (◔ิз◔ิ♪
LOL fairy costume? I don't see any pink sparkly wings. Crazy.

My parents...aren't gamers by any means. They think it's a waste of time and etc. I remember when I first got TP my dad came in when I was catching a fish for the shopkeeper's cat. He was baffled, I think he thought the whole game would be that way lol. He said something about all that hype for just fishing. Then my brother plays SS and keeps going in the toilet room in the knight academy and making Link sit on it until he falls asleep and wakes up, then he pushes the button to get off and make it flush. Dad saw that too. I can only guess what he thinks Zelda is...

My brother is 10 and I got him into it. He's more interested in screwing around, not advancing the story, and he can't beat bosses by himself.

Yeah, I used to be like that too when I was little. (Not the toilet thing. The unable to beat the bosses thing.) I'd be terrified of the ReDeads in OoT and just play around as young Link. My parents actually got me into Zelda because my dad enjoyed playing around on Ocarina of Time. Eventually I just got frustrated from watching him and started playing it myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom