• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Relationships, Gifts, and Going Out.

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
I'm curious how everyone handles the situation of going out or accepting gifts from friends and those who could potentially be more.

Personally, I have a few rules:

The gifts I'll accept from friends depend on my relationship with them.

If it's a friend I know is interested in pursuing a romantic relationship with me, I accept no gifts- I won't let them pay for my movie ticket if we go to a movie, anything, regardless of how much they may insist. Another thing, I won't actually do anything with them that I don't want to do.

If it's a close friend (who isn't interested, or I don't realize is interested), I'll accept gifts from them, though I'll be annoyed. My closest friends know this. I'll let them take me out to places I don't want to go, though they'll be covering all my expenses. Obviously I let them know beforehand that I'm not interested in what they want to do, but sometimes they insist.

My boyfriend is the only one who can freely give me anything without much complaint from me.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
Meh, a gift is a gift, so I might as well accept it. I mean, if they went through the trouble of getting me one, who am I to refuse their kind gesture? Regardless if their gift hinted a romantic interest or not, I would still accept it. I don't have any rules or guidelines either.

I accept gifts from friends because they have spent money on me and it'd be terrible to throw it back on them. Regardless of who it is though i pay my way for movies etc.

I dont have anyone who wants to be more with me, people know im settled with someone and looking the way i look if i were single i doubt anyone would be putting the moves on me.

octorok74

TETTAC
Eh, I never get gifts from anyone except family. I just don't have friends is all. And if I did I would make it perfectly clear that if anyone is paying for anything it's me. No need for them to spend their money on me.

Now, if for some reason a girl liked me and decided to get me a gift, I would accept it. I'd be a bit angry, but why would I not accept the gift. That's kind of rude. Now, if the gift happened to be expensive I would express how much I don't like the gift, unless it is RvB related. Expensive things drive me insane. Just having a girl is gift enough for me, since I am so unlucky.

So gifts, yes I accept, but no if it is expensive.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I will never ever get annoyed when someone gets me a gift. I don't encourage them to give me gifts because I don't care about gifts. BUT if someone is giving me a gift I would definitely NOT give it back. You can give the wrong signal to people by doing this. Not everybody feels the same. I would feel uncomfortable if it is from someone who makes it clear he wants more from me and I already made it clear the feeling is not mutual. I know a guy who did and he even asked my former boss for my phone number and he sent roses to my house and asked me for a date while I already made it clear I didn't want anything more

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I will never ever get annoyed when someone gets me a gift. I don't encourage them to give me gifts because I don't care about gifts. BUT if someone is giving me a gift I would definitely NOT give it back. You can give the wrong signal to people by doing this. Not everybody feels the same.

This so much! Regardless of who it is or what their goals are, I'll always accept gifts from people; they went out of their way to obtain some item and deliver it to me someway or another, so why would I decline it? But, at the same time, I wouldn't accept a gift "under certain conditions" because I'm not really one for a relationship (aside from friendship). Again, though, I won't decline a gift because the person (people?) went out of their way to get it.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Tbh I do like getting gifts and all but am too modest so I find it hard to accept somethings....

I would rather be the buyer of presents than the receiver :)

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
Everyone is different. I'd rather come across as cruel to turn others away from me for their own good, than be kind and allow them to continue acting as they do fruitlessly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom