• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Reincarnation or Bloodline?

Well?

• Reincarnation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bloodline

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
My friend came over today and showed me her shiny Hyrule Historia, and we discovered that we each have a different theory about the various Links and Zeldas throughout the series. She thinks they are all reincarnations of the first Link and Zelda in SS. I think they are descendants of them. There is evidence for both, and here are the theories in further detail.

Reincarnation: Whenever evil threatens the world, Link and Zelda will be born again, with no memory of their past lives. This is supported by the fact that all the Links and Zeldas look roughly the same.

Bloodline: All Links and Zeldas have a common ancestor in the SS versions. This doesnt make them related, because the SS couple had two kids. All the Zeldas have their first born as an ancestor, and all the Links are descended from their second, or vice versa. This is supported by the Hero's Shade in TP, we know he is OoT/MM Link, and we can logically assume that TP Link is his great great great grandson or whatever. In the case of the failure timeline...activate paste from other topic!
Dragoncat said:
In the case of the failure timeline split where he dies before he can go forth and multiply, I think the very first Link(SS) or heck, even OoT/MM Link himself, chooses the next holder of the triforce piece, and after that it's blood relation again.
That other topic, if you want to look for it, is in the World of Zelda called Link's Gender, and it mainly discusses the possibility or not of a female Link.

So vote in the poll and discuss.

Last edited:

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
Zeldas share a bloodline. Links are reincarnated. Some but not all Links may share a bloodline. The "curse" of the Triforce applies to the "blood of the Goddess" and the "spirit of the hero."

the SS couple had two kids
I don't remember seeing or reading that anywhere.

This doesnt make them related
If they both have common ancestors, then they're both related. But what does that matter anyway... (even if it did, it'd be a very distant relation so it still wouldn't matter.)

I agree with Locke. It is clear that Zelda carries the royal bloodline, but we don't have sufficient evidence to establish that the various Links are also descended from one another. I'm inclined to think that Link's soul/spirit/destiny is always reincarnated into "one who has a heart of courage", or something like that... since courage seems to be the common element always emphasized for each incarnation of Link.

DarkLink7

I make my own fate!
Hm...... having not played all the games, I have one thing: Doesn't the Hero's Shade call Link "my child" or something like that after you learn the Great Spin? I haven't played it in a while, so that's why I am unsure. So, along with the Royal Bloodline thing, i'm guessing that it's descendants, and they are distantly enough related they don't know it.

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
Doesn't the Hero's Shade call Link "my child" or something like that after you learn the Great Spin?
Yep he does. Thought about using that as evidence for the second theory, but the phrase is too wide open, something a teacher usually says to a student. If he would have said "my great great great grandson", that would have been obvious.

DarkLink7

I make my own fate!
Yep he does. Thought about using that as evidence for the second theory, but the phrase is too wide open, something a teacher usually says to a student. If he would have said "my great great great grandson", that would have been obvious.

What teacher says "my child" to a student and doesn't mean it as a joke? Usually relatives say that to younger relatives. At least in today's world, it's like that

Ganondork

goo
As stated earlier, each Zelda is related to the first Zelda, as it is a royal bloodline. Link, however, is for the most part reincarnated. Coming into this thread, I felt like I had two Links that were related, but now I'm drawing a blank. Just about every Link is a reincarnation.

Darklink7 said:
Doesn't the Hero's Shade call Link "my child" or something like that after you learn the Great Spin?

I'm just going to compare this situation to that of the Gorons. They call Link, a person who is not even in their species, "Brother." They say it in a respectful manner, just as the Hero's Shade is calling Link "My child" from teacher to pupil.

Last edited:
I would prefer a more diverse set of options on the poll considering that it's a bit more complicated than just a simple reincarnation or bloodline. Some Links are related, like OoT and TP, and some are not, like OoT and WW. Skyward Sword Zelda may have reincarnate in her bloodline as another Zelda or may not. I think it's a mixture of both because there is some bloodline evidence, like the two Zeldas in LoZ and AoL, and some reincarnation evidence.

S

snilges

I personally think that Link is reincanated, since his name is always Link, even formal characters like Zelda or Ganondorf don't address him as Link III or Link V. Another reason is all of the Links look fairly similar, and that doesn't always happen, because in order to have a bloodline, Link has to get married, and not all girls are the same, and also, marriage does not happen in this game, as far as we've seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom