• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Reducing Clutter - Rank Removal

Do you support these ideas?

• I fully support the ideas

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I only partially support the ideas (please elaborate in your post)

• I do not support the ideas

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
Can someone elaborate on the practical purpose of removing these ranks? As of right now this feels like nitpicking, maybe there's a negative that wasn't presented but as of now this appears to be a pointless poll. When this is elaborated on better I'll cast my vote.

Reducing useless clutter.

Fig

The Altruist
I can understand the combining of the Competition Leader, Event Staff, and Article Editor to be made into one forum rank (moreso only Competition Leader and Event since Article Editor are not components involving forum-based events) as they could be seen as the same when you look at the core of each rank. Ultimately I have no issue with the current set of banners as I'm almost 100% positive that they are not causing a strain to the forum and thus I don't mind keeping the ranks as they are right now.

Now for the second point of this thread is one I have to disagree with. For starters these kinds of banner help point out the members that are in fact part of the site staff and try to make topics on a daily basis. Not only do the sites gain readership, but it also gains traffic and thus help the site maintain its activity and reputation. Wiki Contributors also help in the wiki (I don't care if the wiki is stupid, inactive, whatever reason they want to make up the point is the wiki is an important factor of the site) though I think the Wiki Scribes are doing a thing where if those that don't continue to edit are stripped from their rank and I can agree with that system. One last thing I want to argue for is Webmaster. I honestly don't know why are people so, for a lack of a better word, "upset" with this particular banner. You could say it's pointless, but in reality this shows that these know an extreme amount of knowledge for running a website, perhaps even more than Admins since their jurisdiction can only go as far as the forum while a Webmaster is knowledgeable in all aspects in general.

TL;DR - Combining Competition Leader and Event Staff (still unsure about Article Editors) as one forum rank is one I don't mind seeing it happen, but it isn't necessary to me. Removing non-forum color banners such as Site Staff, Wiki Contributor, Webmaster, etc. is one I disagree with simply because their is value behind said ranks.

I've already gave my thoughts, but I'll just pop in here for safe measure.

---

I see both sides. First off I agree with Az in that I don't have any issue with the current setup:

This is how I view the situation and if things aren't seen as "broken" then I see no reason to fix it, change it, alter it etc. I've liked the setup of banners and ranks on ZD, maybe it's not exactly needed per se, but it's always gave me a good idea of who does what which was essential for me getting used to who does what around here when I was new.

On the contrary, I don't see no immediate problems with combining the three ranks (Event Staff, Comp Leader, and Article Editor) because they all sort of relate in helping out, manage certain parts of the forum. The only slight problem I have is the one rank being ambiguous to new members, or even returning members who don't recognise the new set up.

I dont think its needed in the sense that the forum will break sometime soon but it does look like clutter and would benefit the forum members more. First off, i voted for partialy agree. I do think there is room for rankings. However, event staff, competition leader, Wiki Scribe and several others aren't really "rankings".

There really is no need to put these in such big words. Even the standard "member" title is pretty big. I dont agree with "if its not broken don't fix it". that's like saying "don't optimize even if it will benefit us just because we don't see a technical problem with it".

I can understand the combining of the Competition Leader, Event Staff, and Article Editor to be made into one forum rank (moreso only Competition Leader and Event since Article Editor are not components involving forum-based events) as they could be seen as the same when you look at the core of each rank. Ultimately I have no issue with the current set of banners as I'm almost 100% positive that they are not causing a strain to the forum and thus I don't mind keeping the ranks as they are right now.

Now for the second point of this thread is one I have to disagree with. For starters these kinds of banner help point out the members that are in fact part of the site staff and try to make topics on a daily basis. Not only do the sites gain readership, but it also gains traffic and thus help the site maintain its activity and reputation. Wiki Contributors also help in the wiki (I don't care if the wiki is stupid, inactive, whatever reason they want to make up the point is the wiki is an important factor of the site) though I think the Wiki Scribes are doing a thing where if those that don't continue to edit are stripped from their rank and I can agree with that system. One last thing I want to argue for is Webmaster. I honestly don't know why are people so, for a lack of a better word, "upset" with this particular banner. You could say it's pointless, but in reality this shows that these know an extreme amount of knowledge for running a website, perhaps even more than Admins since their jurisdiction can only go as far as the forum while a Webmaster is knowledgeable in all aspects in general.

TL;DR - Combining Competition Leader and Event Staff (still unsure about Article Editors) as one forum rank is one I don't mind seeing it happen, but it isn't necessary to me. Removing non-forum color banners such as Site Staff, Wiki Contributor, Webmaster, etc. is one I disagree with simply because their is value behind said ranks.

Then the only ones we really need in such big writing are the "Admins", "Mods" "Web Master" and other areas. But the others don't seem to be rankings. Also i will argue that the letters are smaller and there's more design on the background then it is highlighting the words. i believe theres a better way to highlight those rankings. I believe slightly bigger words and encased in a horizontal box would be more than enough.

Wiki contributor isn't much of a rank or a helpful one, and its not because the wiki is inactive. Its just not part of the forum. Honestly, the problem i see with getting traffic is that the forum is only part of the main site. It doesn't build most of it. For example, in order to comment in Articles it is "not" required to be a member.

Last edited:

Fig

The Altruist
Whatever happened to axing HK and HN (the two ranks that do literally NOTHING)?

Well the HKs received two new promotions which are Krash and Jimmy so I do believe there is potential for the HKs. As mentioned earlier this semester, the HKs (and HNs) were never meant to be completely removed, just simply reworked from what I've been told.

Well the HKs received two new promotions which are Krash and Jimmy so I do believe there is potential for the HKs. As mentioned earlier this semester, the HKs (and HNs) were never meant to be completely removed, just simply reworked from what I've been told.

Not at all. They were agreed to be removed if the poll closed with 60% or more support for removal (it did). The HK rank was disabled as per the agreement before the poll was even posted, and then the rank was re-enabled because a few people had an aneurysm over something that was already decided and agreed to. That's really all there is to it. There's always this "talk of reforming/reworking the HKs", which invariably ends in either A) an even worse system or :cool: nothing at all being done. The rank just needs to be removed like it was agreed to be months ago.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you

Because there have been many signs of reform. What would they be reworked to be do you think?

Jamie

I'd personally like to deal with colorless ranks first. One step at a time type thing.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me

edd3853e40.png

Fig

The Altruist

Well according to the higher-ups at the time (i.e. Alit, Locke, etc.), they stated that the rank wasn't going anywhere. Even Alit admitted that he made a mistake when removing the rank, hence why it was brought back immediately. We also promised results by three months which the time has now arrived and now we got two new promotions like we said. Should they never had occurred, then yea removal of the rank would happen without question.

Jamie

Well according to the higher-ups at the time (i.e. Alit, Locke, etc.), they stated that the rank wasn't going anywhere. Even Alit admitted that he made a mistake when removing the rank, hence why it was brought back immediately. We also promised results by three months which the time has now arrived and now we got two new promotions like we said. Should they never had occurred, then yea removal of the rank would happen without question.

There is a lot more to the whole situation than that, ALiT's "mistake" wasn't even technically a mistake as it was on terms they actually agreed on.

No. ALIT did not make a mistake. He removed the rank because that's what was agreed on. There is zero ambiguity about that poll or the intention. The poll closed with majority support to remove, before he made the poll it was agreed to be removed. That's it. End of story. People can try all the revisionist history bull**** they want, the rank was decided on being removed, and it should be gone right now.

Since Rep has stated his desire to not derail this thread with talk of colored ranks, I'll try to keep this as brief as possible.

I believe the consensus among staff members was for Mases to decide whether or not the HN rank should be kept as he's essentially the overseer for the rank as Thareous is for the HKs.

Regarding the HK rank, there have been a few ideas thrown around on how it would possibly be revamped. What we want to avoid doing is eliminating a position without having a replacement or not clearly communicating to members within that rank what changes would specifically occur; this was unfortunately one of the shortcomings of the HK poll. I recall the original plan was to post an update about the rank to the general public in October, but I am not sure how the increasing rate of promotions/demotions has affected this decision.

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei

I can get the HK with their reputation. But why do you wanna ax the HN? Yes HN does NOTHING, neither is it a requirement to do ANYTHING.
The main purpose of the rank that its simply a Hall of Fame rank giving to people that have contributed alot of time and effort to ZD. But at the same time we have the right to meddle with staff affairs as seniors or advisors if necessary. Is it that wrong to display these people of with a just a rank? Why the unjustified hate?

I have been trough this in multiple threads and frankly im beggining to get pissed off to constantly repeating myself for this matter. Especialy when their argument is "they are inactive and they do nothing, so remove it". That is a requirement for HK, not HN! People often get the misconception because both names are associated with the word "Hylian". And to prevent this any further i already asked the staff to rename the damn rank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom