• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Redeads- Who Are They?

C

Cardinal Link

In Oot, it says that if you wander into the forest without a fairy that you will turn into a Stalfos. Do you think that Redeads could be people who have gone to maybe Death Mountain or another place at night without a fairy? Tell me where you think you might turn into one.

Satsy

~~SaturnStorm
Yeah I think they're just the unfortunate animated corpses of Hylians who met untimely demise. I doubt it has anything to do with fairies or location (considering how they can be found in various places across Hyrule).

skybird11

state alchemist
they're probly corpses that are brought to life due to evil magic and stuff afflicting hyrule. and the people who go into the lost woods with out a fairy turn into skull kids, not stalfos. otherwise kokiri village would be overrun by stalfos, lol, funny image right?

Jonny

When in doubt, mumble.
I do find this kind of theorizing to be one of my favourite, which is working out the what and why.So anyway allow me to take a video game far to seriously and give my ideas.

As you rightly said, Stalfos come from being lost in the lost woods, however they are not stuck there and can't be found in various different locations and dungeons throughout the Zelda series. So they at least are no locally bound, even though there point of origin is. The wide dispersal of ReDead does not then stop their origin being based on a certain region.

Personally I do not think that area is the result of ReDeads. Magic is often considered to be the cause of ReDeads as has been stated by others in this thread, however the idea of them being cursed has always appealed more to me. I make the distiction between magic and curse because I would say that magic tends to assume an intentional act by an evil being or a reaction to exposure to intense evil magic. However a curse could come anyone or from an action. For instance they may have committed terrible crimes and were cursed either by the people or by the Goddesses into being Zombie like creatures. I don't know why but the thought of them having been evil and being cursed that way rather than being lifeless corpses animated by magic appeals to me more. There are a many different types of dead creatures still roaming (Poe's, Stalchild's, Gibdo, Stalfos) and I do like to think of reasons for them. The only one I find difficult are Gibdo in the sense that it is hard to separate ideas from the and ReeDead.

guapo2003

The incomparable legend
We don't know for sure. But my guess is that is someone along the lines of Hylians who have died in the past and have nothing else better to do

atompike

On my Zeldathon Quest
Yep, I was reading this forum to make sure someone said that it was Dead Hylians resurrected by Ganondorf's Magic. I'm now just playing it for the first time and have finished the Fire Temple, and when I saw the Redeads that was my first hypothesis.

The games never really tell us who the redeads in Hyrule are. The redeads of Ikana were once a dance troupe, and while they can't speak like other undead can they do seem to remember that they used to be dancers, which makes me think that something of who they once were is still in them. I have no idea what determines if a person will become a redead when they die, but I don't think it's anything like Hyrulean Stalfos which are a curse of the Lost Woods or Terminian Gibdos which are a curse of Ikana's well. I think redeads are not specific to one area like that, and instead can happen wherever dark magic brings them to life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom