• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Recording My Guitar?

izi

Not A Wizard
Hello!

Ever since my events at the hospital I haven't played the guitar much. I just picked it up again today and decided I want to try recording.
I don't have any microphones other than a RockBand mic (which I'm using to record my voice, so that's out of the question), but I do have a guitar-chord-to-3.5mm jack-adapter plugged into my computer's microphone slot.
When I open the sound recorder and Audacity, however, nothing is being picked up.

Anyone know how I could fix this?

Thanks!

Clank

Hmm
Hey, not sure what the problem is, but you could try

Switching the input (selection to the right of the mic icon).

Or you can try changing the port you plug it into your computer from the mic(pink) to the line-in(blue) or the other way around.

I am not sure that this is the problem, yet I hope it helps.

izi

Not A Wizard
Hey, not sure what the problem is, but you could try

Switching the input (selection to the right of the mic icon).

Or you can try changing the port you plug it into your computer from the mic(pink) to the line-in(blue) or the other way around.

I am not sure that this is the problem, yet I hope it helps.

I'm using a laptop - the only inputs it has are Mic and Headphones, unfortunately. Any other ideas?

Clank

Hmm
I assume that you are running windows, do you have the model of the adapter?

Do other mics work with the port, if not you can tried unmuting the mic from the volume applet.

Dr3W21

shoegaze girl
Plug the guitar into an input in the amp, and have a guitar cable go from the output in the amp (the headphone jack) into the adapter in the computer. Then, just make sure your inputs on Audacity are configured properly, and there you go!
This has always worked for me, so it should probably worked for you as well.

izi

Not A Wizard
Plug the guitar into an input in the amp, and have a guitar cable go from the output in the amp (the headphone jack) into the adapter in the computer. Then, just make sure your inputs on Audacity are configured properly, and there you go!
This has always worked for me, so it should probably worked for you as well.

Okay - so I've got it all set up, but could you run me through changing the inputs on Audacity?

Clank

Hmm
Screenshot from 2013-01-30 14:28:15.jpg
Try all that you see, your list should be different.
If none of them work then it is possible that it will only work with a line-in jack(blue)

Dr3W21

shoegaze girl
Okay - so I've got it all set up, but could you run me through changing the inputs on Audacity?

Sorry for not responding earlier... I wish ZD's notification system would notify you when people reply to you in a thread... but yeah, basically what Clank said. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom