• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Recommendation- Wind Waker or Links Awakening DX?

M

M-Pyre

Hiya. I'm new here, and I was wondering if someone could help me with something. I kinda wanna get a new Zelda game, but I'm not sure which to get. I'm thinking Wind Waker, or Links Awakening DX...but I don't know TOO much about either of them. (try to refrain from mentioning any spoilers, please)

I've played the original and Link II when I was a kid. Never had a SNES or N64 growing up, so I never really got to play A Link To The Past, Ocarina of Time, or Majoras Mask. I ended up being like "Psssh. I've played Zelda before. It was ok...", though another reason I never really cared to mess with Zelda much was that my little bro was a huge Zelda fan, and I always tended to kinda stay away from games that other people played when I was younger. (which I regret doing, after having played some of those games now...)

My first Zelda game after the originals was, actually, Twilight Princess. I got it when I got my Wii, just because I'd heard that TP was supposed to be like...amazing. I thought it was pretty awesome. Not too long afterwards, my friend told me he had The Legend of Zelda: Collectors Edition for the Gamecube and that he didn't really have the time to even play it. So he ended up selling it to me for $1. What a great deal, since I soon found out that it tends to sell for $50 in some stores! But yeah. Ended up playing through and beating Ocarina of Time on that. Pretty sweet. Got a bit into Majoras Mask, but never bothered too much with it. I thought that the Wind Waker demo was pretty fun, but way too short.

But yeah. Both games sound kind of interesting from what I DO know about them. I just don't know which to choose! D:

OH. Another thing. Does anyone know if the internal battery in Links Awakening DX still works? It was a pain to change the one in my Pokemon Gold a few months back...

Last edited by a moderator:

Kazumi

chagy
Well, it all depends on you preference. If you prefer more classical games (Zelda I, II), then you should get Link's Awakening without a doubt. It's really an excellent game, and is considered by most people, including Gamespot and IGN, to be one of the best Zelda games of all time. Now, if you liked Twilight Princess more, then I would strongly, without a doubt tell you to get Wind Waker. Whilst it's a good deal easier then LA, it can also be a lot more fun. If you like the whole 3D thing.

It sounds to me like you may like Wind Waker more. But it's all up to preference. Personally, in my list of Zelda favourites (The first four are: A Link to the Past, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, and then Link's Awakening.) So I like Wind Waker one spot above LA in all of the Zelda games of all time. Also. My understanding tells me that Link's Awakening doesn't need an internal battery. Because I've had Oracle of Ages for a really long time, and I have never had to change the battery, where as I've had Pokemon Gold for about as long, and I have had to. But it may be a good idea to look it up.

I hoped that I helped. And here it is again: If you liked TP, get WW. If you liked LoZ/AoL, get LA. You may also want to check their respective pages on Zelda Wiki to learn more about them. Warning, as their are spoilers on those pages. (They are clearly marked.) Here is the link: http://www.zeldawiki.org/Main_Page

Zarom

The King
Well, I would go for Wind Waker. I haven't played LA yet, so I can't compare them. But I say Wind Waker, mainly because the 3-D Zelda games are better in my opinion, and also because Wind Waker is one of my favorite Zelda games. :) It's a truly awesome game, and I enjoy it everytime I play. :D

Well, I would go for Wind Waker. I haven't played LA yet, so I can't compare them. But I say Wind Waker, mainly because the 3-D Zelda games are better in my opinion, and also because Wind Waker is one of my favorite Zelda games. :) It's a truly awesome game, and I enjoy it everytime I play. :D

Agreed. I prefer the 3D Zeldas myself, but since you played the NES games I could recommend either, you might prefer the "classic" Zelda game play. Also, bear in mind that the Wind Waker has loooooong stretches of sailing, which gets pretty boring.

Easily Wind Waker.

No offense to the people that actually like Link's Awakening, but honestly, that game came close to boring me to death. That has to be one of THE most boring games I have ever played in my life. All it ever caused me was annoyance with the first of all trying to figure out how to save, and second everything else in the game. It just sucked in my honest opinion.

On the other hand, Wind Waker IS in my mind the best Zelda game, and it's a heck of a lot more interesting, better everything to it.

DesertDweller

Love Truth
Definitely Wind Waker. Okay, so I haven't played Link's Awakening, but I honestly think you'll love WW. The character development was particularly amazing in WW.

And slightly off-topic but I highly recommend you finish up MM. I got bored at Woodfall, but really, the character development and individual storyline of each person there is terrific. I'm so glad I picked it up again after several months of not touching it.

I'd have to say Wind Waker. I do like Link's Awakening; its actually one of my favorite Zelda games. But the replay value you will get out of Wind Waker is much more than that of LA. I would play though LA more times and beat the game than I would WW, but WW will keep you busy through the actual game. If you have to choose, you'll get more out of WW than you will LA.

El Bagu

Wannabe Mr. 1-8-1
Although IGN gave LA DX a perfect score of 10 (and I normally agree with them) I will still recommend WW. It´s a really fun game with a lot of spirit to it I must say. I loved every minute of it and I´m hard to please.

And also: Welcome to the community!

M

M-Pyre

Thanks guys! I ended up picking up Wind Waker after all. It's pretty awesome so far, just finished up Dragon Roost and saved once I got to the next island. Personally, I love the art style. Seems very reminiscent of Animal Crossing, and it also kinda reminds me of Hayao Miyazaki's art style. *__* I figured I can just get Links Awakening some other time.

And slightly off-topic but I highly recommend you finish up MM. I got bored at Woodfall, but really, the character development and individual storyline of each person there is terrific. I'm so glad I picked it up again after several months of not touching it.
Ehh. I stopped at Woodfall, actually. It's not so much the fact that it bored me, but that the whole 3-day thing just kinda gets on my nerves, personally. And not being able to save when I need to and stuff. I just got frustrated with it.

And also: Welcome to the community!
Thanks! :3

C

cubeface21

Wind Waker. Links Awakening is really good. But Wind Waker is 1000000000x better.

If I was you I would most likely pick Link's Awakening.. As Link's Awakening DX is my 3rd favorite Zelda game released to date. :) You really can't go wrong either way.
PS. Remember to tell us which one you picked up and how did you like it.

ironknuckle1

Archer Extraordinaire
i love LA, even more then WW because its my favorite 2d zelda game. but Windwaker definitly has some beautiful landscaping and some great temples and bosses, but i hate that it takes forever to travel anywhere on it

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom