• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Recommend to me a book

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
I don't know what to read anymore. What are all the cool kids into these days? Over that Twilight phase yet? You'd think with a whole history of literature in the human race there'd be no end of stuff to read... but I've got nothing and I'm sick of newsweek.

So help a humble fortification out, will ya ZD bruthas and sistas. What's good to read?

I know it's like trying to find that one gem in a mountain of Lon Lon fertilizer but something from the fantasy or scifi genre. Something? Anything?

I'd also be willing to take recommendations in the espionage or military thriller genre. You know? Clancy stuff. Except not Clancy stuff. I can find that on my own. And no Bourne either.

Oh for that matter don't bother mentioning these. I'm either not interested, have already read or intend to read someday just not this day.

Lord of the Rings
Shanarra Chronicles
Game of Thorns
Harry Potter
Ender's Game

Anything with Zombies
Anything with Vampires

... okay a little bit of vampires is often inevitable, so if there's like one character who sucks that's not completely unacceptable.

Cookies and potatoes for good recommendations. It's up to you whether to eat the potato immediately or wait for it to ferment and drink it later :)

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
Dresden Files is good.
Tamora Pierce.
Robin Hobb
Terry Pratchett.
Darren Shan Demonata Series.
Angie Sage
Christopher Paolini
Eoin Colfer
Frank Beddor (not so fond of him these days)
Joseph Delaney (very good series)
Anything by Stephen King

Please note i did this by Authors. Google at your own discretion.

I Am Legend.

Not a very long book but expertly written, its scifi horror and the creatures in the book could probably be referred to as vampires but they really defy any definition.
Dont be put off if youve seen any of the atrocious films, the book is wonderful, creative and very emotional.

To this day its the only book to have made me cry and the ending is the best one ive ever read in a book.

Last edited:
G

Guest-3

James Patterson books are always thrilling and keep you on the edge of your seat.
The Quickie is pretty good.
Also, Stephen King's The Dark Tower books are amazing.
The Great Gatsby, The Life of Frederic Douglass, The Outsiders, Where The Red Fern Grows, Cinder, The Heros of Olympus, Alonng Came A Spider, Maximum Ride, Divergent, At First Sight (Nicholas Sparks), and there are so many more that are great.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
James Patterson books are always thrilling and keep you on the edge of your seat.
The Quickie is pretty good.
Also, Stephen King's The Dark Tower books are amazing.
The Great Gatsby
, The Life of Frederic Douglass, The Outsiders, Where The Red Fern Grows, Cinder, The Heros of Olympus, Alonng Came A Spider, Maximum Ride, Divergent, At First Sight (Nicholas Sparks), and there are so many more that are great.

Dad-a-chum?

pyjamas5189

Secretly a cat
Definitely second Terry Pratchet and Eoin Colfer the Trudi Canavan books are pretty good as well.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Wow I turn my back for a few minutes and all these recommendations come pouring in. <3 Okay I got my work cut out for me googling all this... and then deciding on what to read. Good thing I got B&N giftcards :)

Read The Bible :)

Too violent :P

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
Cinders and I know theres a series I wanna recommend but I cant remember the name of it, ill have a look when I get a chance haha!!!

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
Unsure of what you've already read, and I don't read much in those genres, but these are ones I'd recommend (even if a couple may not be for your demographic):

• "The War of the Dreaming" duology (The Last Guardian of Everness and Mists of Everness), by John C. Wright.
  • "The Dark is Rising Sequence" (Over Sea, Under Stone, The Dark Is Rising, Greenwitch, The Grey King, Silver on the Tree), by Susan Cooper.
  • The Princess Bride, by William Goldman.
  • The NeverEnding Story, by Michael Ende.
  • The Stepford Wives, by Ira Levin.
  • Sleepers, by Lorenzo Carcaterra.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom