• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Recommend Me Modern Action/Adventure Titles

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
Right now I’ve kind of been in the mood to play games similar to the LoZ series, in particular the N64-GCN era of titles (OoT, MM, FSA, WW, TP). Trawling through various eShops, the current gaming trend seems to be all about RPG-Rogue-Platformer-Story-Open World-Souls-esque-type games, which I’m just really tired of.

I was wondering if any of you could recommend some games in that seemingly old school Action/Adventure genre that I might be able to check out (and perhaps why you think they’re good games) for Switch or PC. I don’t own any other modern platforms and won’t any time soon

Other games similar to what I’m looking for would be: Ni no Kuni, Ookami, Darksiders (1 and 2 only), RiME, Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy.

Looking forward to seeing what you guys recommend.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Dark Souls is definitely my recommendation if you're looking for something closer in design to Zelda (or at least what I remember Zelda being like when I was younger). It's a hostile world, the dungeons are dangerous, and the bosses are out to kill you. It ain't for the faint of heart, but it's satisfying to play and conquer.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Dragon's Dogma would be my top recommendation.

Really you gotta go back to the 6th gen (Gamecube, PS2 and Original XBox). That was the golden age of this game-type and they were all following in Zelda's footsteps. They just don't make em like they used to... /sighs as he drifts off into a nostalgia stupor/

As for anything more recent...? I dunno, the Batman: Arkham games are solid recommendations. The first two at least the other two are... eh.

Beyond Good and Evil... warrants a mention even though it's not something I can personally recommend. The game's a flawed gem, emphasis on flawed. So flawed it can make it insufferable to play, which is a shame because it's got some really sweet stuff going on that's buried under all the poo of janky combat, horrendously designed stealth, and the worst camera I've ever suffered in a video game.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Dragon's Dogma is definitely the best worst game I've played.
Dragon's Dogma seriously looks and plays like legit garbo until you stick with it, learn the ins and outs and master it, then it becomes a refined and borderline brilliant masterwork. It's pretty powerful how the game rewards dedication that way. By playing like trash then becoming a masterpiece.

My biggest complaint with it is that once you do master it, it becomes too easy.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Dragon's Dogma seriously looks and plays like legit garbo until you stick with it, learn the ins and outs and master it, then it becomes a refined and borderline brilliant masterwork. It's pretty powerful how the game rewards dedication that way. By playing like trash then becoming a masterpiece.

My biggest complaint with it is that once you do master it, it becomes too easy.

If only it were more consistent. I love the combat and grabbing system, but how the game works out damage resistance can either make it incredibly easy or incredibly hard. And if only the story were more consistently good. It has some powerful moments, but it spends too much time on monotonous quests.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
Dark Souls is definitely my recommendation if you're looking for something closer in design to Zelda (or at least what I remember Zelda being like when I was younger). It's a hostile world, the dungeons are dangerous, and the bosses are out to kill you. It ain't for the faint of heart, but it's satisfying to play and conquer.
Trawling through various eShops, the current gaming trend seems to be all about RPG-Rogue-Platformer-Story-Open World-Souls-esque-type games, which I’m just really tired of.
bit of conflict right there

hmm, maybe Ys VIII? its an action RPG but exploring is a big part of the game, but at the same time it's not an open world game, I had a great time w/ it when it came to the switch

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
bit of conflict right there

hmm, maybe Ys VIII? its an action RPG but exploring is a big part of the game, but at the same time it's not an open world game, I had a great time w/ it when it came to the switch

Yeah, I saw them mention of Souls-like stuff, but Dark Souls 1 is without a doubt the closest kind of game to something like Twilight Princess.

Right now I’ve kind of been in the mood to play games similar to the LoZ series, in particular the N64-GCN era of titles (OoT, MM, FSA, WW, TP). Trawling through various eShops, the current gaming trend seems to be all about RPG-Rogue-Platformer-Story-Open World-Souls-esque-type games, which I’m just really tired of.

I was wondering if any of you could recommend some games in that seemingly old school Action/Adventure genre that I might be able to check out (and perhaps why you think they’re good games) for Switch or PC. I don’t own any other modern platforms and won’t any time soon

Other games similar to what I’m looking for would be: Ni no Kuni, Ookami, Darksiders (1 and 2 only), RiME, Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy.

Looking forward to seeing what you guys recommend.

Only a couple spring to mind and they may not exactly be what you're after but...

Abzu
This is similar to Journey but underwater. It has a lovely art style and large explorable areas and collectibles to find.
It's linear and not too long but you may like it.

Hyper Light Drifter
This one is top down 2D, like ALTTP, I know it may not exactly be what you're looking for but it is pretty good and has a refreshing tone and setting. It's like if you fused ALTTP with Evangelion.

I also enjoy Atelier Ryza, but that's a turn based RPG and may not be what you're looking for. Though it is very pleasant and has a focus on exploration and collectibles.

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
I actually have the Switch edition remaster of the first game and couldn't make any significant progress in the game. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Dragon's Dogma would be my top recommendation.

Really you gotta go back to the 6th gen (Gamecube, PS2 and Original XBox). That was the golden age of this game-type and they were all following in Zelda's footsteps. They just don't make em like they used to... /sighs as he drifts off into a nostalgia stupor/

As for anything more recent...? I dunno, the Batman: Arkham games are solid recommendations. The first two at least the other two are... eh.

Beyond Good and Evil... warrants a mention even though it's not something I can personally recommend. The game's a flawed gem, emphasis on flawed. So flawed it can make it insufferable to play, which is a shame because it's got some really sweet stuff going on that's buried under all the poo of janky combat, horrendously designed stealth, and the worst camera I've ever suffered in a video game.
Got all the Batman games and Beyond Good and Evil on PC. Dragon's Dogma I don't have. Looked up the Switch release of the enhanced version and it looks interesting. Thanks!

I actually bought this game when it came out since it looked intriguing, but have never loaded it up. Might give it a go sooner than I would have. Thanks!

Only a couple spring to mind and they may not exactly be what you're after but...

Abzu
This is similar to Journey but underwater. It has a lovely art style and large explorable areas and collectibles to find.
It's linear and not too long but you may like it.
This is actually on my Switch wishlist. Could never decide whether or not I actually wanted to purchase it.

Hyper Light Drifter
This one is top down 2D, like ALTTP, I know it may not exactly be what you're looking for but it is pretty good and has a refreshing tone and setting. It's like if you fused ALTTP with Evangelion.
Sounds and looks interesting. Will look into that one some more.

I also enjoy Atelier Ryza, but that's a turn based RPG and may not be what you're looking for. Though it is very pleasant and has a focus on exploration and collectibles.
I have Atelier Lydie & Suelle: The Alchemists and the Mysterious Paintings. Not yet completed it, but if Ryza is similar, I may give it a go. Thanks for the suggestions!

It seems you are after real time combat RPGs and similar games.

Hmmmm what can I offer to you?

Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Lots of exploration, great story. The combat is real time and it’s decently long. Well worth it.
The first game is getting released soon too. I didn’t like that game though but many others did.

Witcher 3
That ticks every box you have and it plays relatively well on Switch, though you might get it on PC instead.

Okami.
I own it on Switch but not yet played it. I’ve heard it’s really Zelda like and the Switch port might be the best version because you can use the joycon motion controls so control the paint/ink brush.

Astral Chain
Apart from not being the longest game ever it’s pretty good. Modern, with a unique real time battle system. I quite enjoyed it.

Dragon Quest XI -Switch
Sure it’s turn based, not what you want but in essence it’s very old school. Might not tick enough of your boxes but it is an amazing game.
So if you pass on it I’d understand.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions
Turn based though. It’s sort of Persona lite. No day countdowns and no personas to “catch ‘em all”. But it’s worth a shot if you like music infused games.

Ni No Kuni
I want to get this too. So I can recommend it too.

Last edited:
@Mamono101
@Spirit

Atelier trilogy is up on the eShop. I’ve never played any of these games but they have peaked my interest.

What are they like and would you recommend them to me?

I've not played all of the atelier games but they are apparently all similar with the newest game Ryza doing things differently.

Most the Atelier games are designed as trilogies.

The gameplay loop is standard turn based battles with field enemies with exploration and focus on material collection.

None of the Atelier games are open world so you have open areas which lead to other areas with button prompts at map edges.

Collecting materials goes towards your alchemy, which is the game's central hook. The more materials you collect and the rarer they are means you can create new weapons and items and spells to use in battle.

You start by following recipes but in the end you can create your own spells and items via alchemy.

The games are quaint and don't usually fuss themselves with world ending plots or anything of immediate peril. They're very much slice of life games with slow burn narratives.

What puts me off the games is the Persona-like in-game clock and calendar.
Of the Atelier games I've played, some give you a calendar year to complete the game, which means you often have to do certain tasks on certain days and it can get quite dull and sometimes stressful if you're not sure what to do and waste time.

Ryza is different. It focuses on the alchemy and the combat has a few wrinkles to make it interesting but it completely does away with the in-game clock to make things feel less stressful.

They're rather low budget games. They're not ugly and they play well but there's a sense of lacking polish that can sometimes be felt.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I would definitely recommend Okami, it's a Zelda experience on par with Twilight Princess but better in some aspects, such as in combat and with the story. If you aren't in America, I believe its still on sale via the eshop in Europe and Australia, but even if you can't take advantage of a sale, its a game worth its full price.

Last edited:

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
I actually have the Switch edition remaster of the first game and couldn't make any significant progress in the game. Thanks for the suggestion though!

All good. It's definitely not an easy game to jump into, but I think the actual world structure is something Zelda fans might like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom