• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Rebooting the Series

I came across an article on gametrailers that Zelda needs a reboot. I haven't read the whole article yet but I don't know how that will turn out if the series does get a reboot.

I think the author of the article is confused and ignorant...

All the article says is, "negative negative negative blah blah blah"

Garo

Boy Wonder
The author's logic is flawed. Skyward Sword may not have performed as well as Twilight Princess, for example, but there are far more factors involved than simply "oh Zelda is irrelevant now".

For example, Twilight Princess was a launch title for the Wii, as well as a highly anticipated GameCube release for many years. It was bound to excel. Further, 2011 was a major year for gaming - Battlefield 3, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, Uncharted 3, Assassin's Creed: Revelations, Batman: Arkham City, and most notably Skyrim all released within a month of Skyward Sword. With that kind of competition - competition that simply has not been present during previous Zelda launches - an already niche franchise stood no chance (I say niche because, really, mostly existing Zelda fans buy the series' games now; there aren't as many new converts) against those multi-plat giants. Couple that along with the recently middling sales of the Wii and the lack of any other killer apps this year for the Wii and you've got a recipe for a stagnating game launch that has absolutely no bearing upon the game's quality or appeal.

He has correct facts but ignores a lot of factors tying into those facts. Zelda doesn't need a reboot.

MW7

Ok so I'm probably one of the biggest proponents of rebooting the series and/or giving another studio a shot with the series. Pretty much anything that would be different from what the direction Nintendo is taking the series would be fine with me. However, this author has no idea what he's talking about.

"Skyward Sword is on par to be one of the worst selling console iteration of the series."

This is the point at which the author lost all credibility for me (and it was only the third paragraph). First off he somehow managed to write par instead of pace. Secondly Skyward Sword has already surpassed Wind Waker and Majora's Mask in sales I'm fairly certain. So that would put it currently sixth out of the eight console Zeldas in sales after a couple of months. It would be unlikely for it not to catch AOL at 4.38 million, and I think it will probably end up just passing ALTTP's 4.61 million. I highly doubt it will catch TP, OOT, or LOZ though. That would put it fourth out of eight- I'm pretty sure that no one classifies fourth place out of eight as one of the worst.

Also using the Hyrule Historia and hints that Retro Studios would do well with Zelda as jumping off points to suggest a reboot is a huge stretch.

On another note did anyone else recognize the author's name? Mike Damiani is the guy that is probably the greatest speedrunner in Zelda history- he set records in many of the games and probably inspired many people to start speedrunning. Just a little fun fact.

I agree that Zelda needs a reboot, but completely disagree with how he came to that conclusion. I think the games aren't living up to their potential quality-wise, and that's why I think there should be a reboot. Saying Skyward Sword is setting Zelda down the path to irrelevancy is just wrong IMO.

Zelda has to get a reboot imo. When i say this i mean they should go back to how the series used to be when ALTTP and OOT were released. I don't like the linearity of the recent instulments. In OOT and MM you had a guide and could figure out what to do but you could do it in differint orders.

Sir Analog

Hope Rides Alone
Majora's Mask was basically a reboot. While admittedly, it's still a Zelda game at its core, it had a completely new formula to it. Most Zelda games, themselves, are in fact reboots... in a sense. If you notice, there are very few that are identical. Most of the Zelda games back be lumped into categories in which different games use different mechanics. While, again, at its core, each game still has essentially the same story (although, each game appears original), so do most reboots. The Spider Man reboot? Just a different iteration of Spider Man. The Batman reboots? Just a darker twist on the series. If anything needs a reboot, it's Mario. No matter what you throw into it, it's still the platforming adventure of him saving Princess Peach.

How he decided that Nintendo giving in and releasing the timeline means that they're preparing for a reboot is beyond me. He even acknowledges that the story can only go forward. Just because we Adventure of Link, Four Swords Adventures, and Spirit Tracks can have sequels doesn't mean the series should be rebooted. The thing is, a reboot should only be made when the series has run its course, and that's one of the charms of Zelda; it has no set ending.

What's funny is that he points out how we revisit the same areas in Skyward Sword, which was actually a point of GameSpot's moronic criticism of the game. Interestingly, that's the only example he gives of how the game supposedly didn't innovate. Admittedly, the only real changes that immediately come to mind are the motion controls and the upgrade system, but those are still changes.

"It’s just that the current Zelda team, at least those who actually make the decisions, are out of touch with what people want in the series." Except they probably are. It's just that, like Final Fantasy, which you somehow claim is becoming irrelevant despite the massive anticipation for Versus XIII, Zelda has developed such a rabid and divisive fanbase than any attempts to satisfy the fandom will be met with both praise and criticism. It's not Aonuma's team's fault that they can't please everyone.

Admittedly, I don't really like the thought process of "gameplay over story", but the fact that Nintendo actually has crafted the story they have does show that they do care about the story.

Sure, Nintendo could hand it off to Retro, but that doesn't mean there should be a reboot. Flagship did some of the games, and those have been considered part of the series. Retro can easily make games that will be considered just as important as the other games. I'm curious if the guy who wrote the article even fully understands the entire concept of the reboot.

Really, the only good thing he wrote is that Retro should make Zelda games, and he even acknowledged Miyamoto's suggestion of that happening. Bottom line, this article is just pointless. This guy is as bad as Richard George from IGN.

Obviously people love Zelda just the way it is, but whatever lets just give link a gun and have him go all crazy, will call it Hyrule Warfare 2...... it will be the bestest game ever

Obviously people love Zelda just the way it is, but whatever lets just give link a gun and have him go all crazy, will call it Hyrule Warfare 2...... it will be the bestest game ever
d
Lol that would be kinda weird to say the least, but it will never be that extreme of a change.
I know you know that the series will never go that direction well at least i hope you know.

guapo2003

The incomparable legend
Nah, Zelda is doing just fine where's it at. As long as people keep buying them, Nintendo will continue to keep making them while implementing new ways of playing them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom