• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Real Talk: Recognizability

Would Two incarnations of your past self know you as soon as look at you?

• Yes, easily

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • It'd take a few subtle hints

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'd have to whack them with a mallet of clues

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Nope, i was a gormless fool back then

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
If you were in a room with two others versions of yourself (Both younger, and different turning points in life)
would they recognize who you are? Would it take a few hints or a blatant mallet for them to realize who you are? Or would they just flat out never clue-in?

I'll be real and say no they wouldn't for two reasons, for nearly 15 years my anger has been a defining trait and now it's subsided (or banked) I'm more happier than i've been in years and also more sad. The other reason.. i'm a clueless gorm it took me almost as many years, to realise a girl i fancied in highschool was crushing on me, as it took me to get over my anger issues.

What about you all? Would your past selfs know you?

Dan

We "evolved" to recognise the faces of our tribe near instantly. I'm sure I also read somewhere that parents that never got to see their kids grow up will recognise their children in their adulthood. I can't find a source for this so it may have been bull****, perhaps someone more knowledgeable in that subject can confirm.

I suspect we would would pick up on a few facial characteristics and social ticks that would make our future selves recognisable. Women on the other hand... well with all the fakeup and implants they have I'm sure they wouldn't know who their five day in the future selves were. :bubsy:

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
My childhood had two stages:
The first was the early childhood giddy optimist. I was fun, outgoing, excessively friendly and hopelessly inquisitive. A near complete 360 from the cantankerous cynical (the cynicism is abating a bit) sarcastic foul-mouthed curmudgeon I am now.
The second stage was the angry emotionally unstable wreck. @Shironagi you say you had anger issues? I can relate. I was a very angry, insanely upset early adolescent and it took me a long time to get a hold of myself.

Today I maintain a baseline angry attitude that I refrain from taking out on others. While I don't always shy away from agitating people who upset, annoy or antagonize me where I'm able, I'm more in control of my behavior than I was then (which is to say, at all). I can be more or less equal parts friendly, helpful, and kind to those I respect and an outright vile, nasty abuser to those who hurt me. Despite what your politically correct parents and/or "teachers" and those talking heads in the idiot box have told you, it's a perfectly acceptable not to mention highly effective way to get by.

But Stage 2 me must have looked like a raging psychotic to everyone who knew me. I don't want to meet that kid.

I've held on to a few traits from both "kid me's". The inquisitiveness and a bit of the friendliness of the long gone giddy optimist and the profane vocabulary and emotional angst of the hideous Stage 2. I'd love nothing more right now than to be completely rid of the latter soon, and at this point it seems like I'll only have myself to blame for that if I don't. Being more reserved now the unbridled extroversion of stage 1 is also kaput.

Stage 1 wouldn't recognize me at all. Stage 2 would be too pissed off to be aware of much of anything.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
It depends on how far back this would go. As I child and teen I had a really bad temper, and as a teen I also had very violent tendencies (result of being systematically bullied for such a long time), at the same time I was also very timid, really afraid of other people's opinion of me. I wanted to conform, to belong.

Who I am today is drastically different from that person, and I also look drastically different - not just aged up, but other stuff as well.

However, if it was me in my early twenties (I'm approaching mid-thirties), then I'd easily recognize myself. The changes are much more subtle there. I'm a lot more confident, less concerned with how I'm perceived.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom