• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Real Music

GanonSlayr

Vermin Supreme 2012!!!
Now tis thread is based on opinion,so don't go trollin'
I personally htink that music today is way too produced.
I prefer punk,bands like the sex pistols,the clash,the ramones,unlike bands like Ke$ha and lady gaga, and i think that music today isn't from the soul,its all about making money,instead of expressing your feelings.Examples of real music for me is the beatles,led zeppelin etc. So,wht do you guys think is real music,instead of produced and autotune stuff they have today?
if you like that kind of stuff,tell me why you like the popular music of today?

Hylian Knight

Green Armored Menace
Personally I too agree with you 100% it just seems they're doing it to make money which is one of the many reasons I prefer to listen to Video Game BGM's other than that most of the music are the old classics.

L

LinksObsession

You're right. Some music now a days is okay. But i'm more into hendrix, zepplin, lennon, rush ect. :P

Akiranon

Fallen Knight
Good music is being produced these days, you just have to know where to look. ;D A lot of the indie bands make good music, they just don't get recognized because - as mentioned before - artists like Kesha and Lady Gaga are more popular. Since they're popular, they're interesting for the music industry because they can bring in a lot of moola... The indie bands don't have this and are therefore less interesting for the music labels. :'(

And even then, a lot of mainstream bands make good music... Cold War Kids, Bag Raiders, The Hush Sound, Hurts... Those come to mind. :)

Last edited:
Good music is being produced these days, you just have to know where to look.

Agreed. I avoid mainstream music at all costs. Its usually just badly written piffle to try and make money, rather than for a love of music. A few years ago I took to looking to other countries for music and found a lot of lesser known bands that are just as good as more famous bands but they have less exposure.

A good tip is to find a list of music festivals that promote the type or types of music you listen to. Look at the past line ups and check out a few of the bands on there that you've never heard of. I believe there is a list somewhere on Wikipedia of all major European rock festivals. I went through a ridiculous amount of line ups on there and found a lot of very good bands.

purplelink

Who started saying Big Mood
Guys face it the world revolves around money. The sooner you realize there is no hope and the world is pretty much awful with no hope for redemption and that were all gonna die probably because of human factors you live life freely.
Also I like also music. As a musician in training you need to learn to appreciate all forms of art.

Hanyou

didn't build that
Whether music is good or not does not really depend on whether it's mainstream. There have always been good mainstream bands and artists, from Bob Dylan to Flogging Molly. It's just that music in general has taken a nosedive recently, and mainstream music has gotten significantly worse with it.

Consider: pop music used to be motown, which yes, was manufactured but gave way to artists like Marvin Gaye and Michael Jackson. Today, what do we have? The Black Eyed Peas, who can't seem to sing about anything but having sex and partying, and who offer up uninteresting music to boot. Punk started out with the Sex Pistols, then it gave way to pop-punk (though admittedly, pop-punk is something of a guilty pleasure for me). Metal started out with Black Sabbath, and the press somehow conflated absolutely terrible rap-rock from bands like Korn and Limp Bizkit with the genre through nu-metal. About the only genres that have managed to stay relatively sound, in my opinion, were real metal (whether power, thrash, heavy, doom, or otherwise) and prog, which lost popularity rapidly after the 70's, primarily because their fanbase has helped keep them clean. These aren't necessarily unpopular or "indie," but they aren't mainstream, either.

Don't listen to people who tell you that indie is the only good music around, or that there's no good music anymore. That's either an uninformed statement or it's a flat-out lie. I'm a fan of both prog and metal, which have been and remain sophisticated and intelligent genres. So what do we have there? Consider Spock's Beard, a prog band which is operating to this day on a shoestring budget:

[video=youtube;SZlghnBcpJw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZlghnBcpJw[/video]

Now, compare and contrast the heartfelt, poetic lyrics, the virtuoso musicianship, and the variety of this album, which was released in 2006 (I consider that recent) to Kesha's latest song about how many men she wants to have sex with. Spock's Beard really is my universal example of good bands still existing because, well, it's my favorite, but you'll likely find plenty of other acts. The problem is, a lot of them are marginalized or not part of the mainstream. While the mainstream USED to be decent, it's gotten worse with everything else in the music industry. That's not to say you can't find good mainstream bands, but the aforementioned Flogging Molly really is the only one I can think of right now. That's sad, man.

After prog made it big in the 70's, there was a reactionary response on the part of the whole industry. Significant talent was frowned upon as punk took over (like it or not, yes, punk did play a role in the dumbing-down of music, even though I do like some of it). That's why you'll never see Rush or The Moody Blues in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Accessible music is now at its absolute worst. The worst singer in the world sounds better than the best singer auto-tuned. Until people finally revolt against this stupidity and let less popular genres like prog and metal have a shot at mainstream success again, the market isn't going to make it any easier to find quality stuff. It's TEEMING with good music, but you have to dig a little. The internet is a great resource, and it's where I get all my information about music. I never turn on the TV or the radio anymore for anything but the news.

The key is to promote the genres you like. Buy the CD's, don't pirate them. Go to concerts. Tell other people about them. A lot of people just get their information about music from American Idol, MTV, and the radio. Let them know there's more out there. There was one time bands like Kansas and Rush had popular hits that played on the radio--songs that still resonate with people to this very day. It's not that people have forgotten what good music sounds like, it's just that this steady progression of vapid rap and pop has conditioned us to less ambitious musicianship. That needs to change.

Last edited:

i-am-link

DGN's Metaphysicist
Personally, I find that music from most Video Games is the best there is. Now, I do enjoy a few songs that aren't necessarily from Video Games, and most of those are ones that are just Awesome. Examples would be pretty much anything that makes you feel like you're filled with Rage.

Djinn

and Tonic
Interesting, I was having this same conversation in the SB earlier today.

Modern music is largely not about music anymore, it is about the singers, their lives and what they are doing on a day to day basis. Whatever songs they sing is secondary to that. And it seems that people have to be famous first before they can have a music career. They do not build a career based on their musical talent, often they have little to none until a studio hires them and trains them to have some while providing songs and lyrics. Tactics have changed though, now musicians require large entertainment companies like Fox, Nickelodeon, and Disney to constantly shove the new song in your face over and over again hammering the song into you in an effort to have the song be heard. Now it is no longer listened to because people genuinely like it or want to hear it, the songs are played along with the commercials during whatever show they do try to watch. It has actually become a commercial, advertising the artist. Or the ringtone, I cannot decide which, but definitely not the song itself.

It looks like songs are actually made to sell catchy, instantly recognizable ringtones now more than just songs to listen to. The fact that more songs are about lifestyles or other product placement and not so much anything worthwhile. And like Hanyou said, many new artists only sing about sex and partying. There really seems to be no more of a message behind anything new other than "This song is cool.."

The real challenge now is to find what you like outside of the mainstream telling you what you like. The fact that many people later declare that they hate those same bands that were on top years earlier and cannot understand why they listened to them at all (Limp Bizkit is the biggest offender here) explains the bandwagoning in the music scene. People do not listen to songs they think are cool, they listen to songs that they hope others will see them listening to and think that they are cool. But a good song remains a good song long after the genre that gave birth to it has faded from the public eye.

I have always been a fan of rock, and the many sub genres, but not all of them. Metal I think is great, and a lot of thrash, but it sometimes goes too far and just devolves into indiscriminate screeching into a mike. Although with a really good guitar riff that I can really get into, I will sometimes get more into the music than any of the vocals. I love punk but not so much pop punk. Which I think has dropped everything I liked about the genre in favor of more commercialization. Plus it boils down to guys in their 30's still complaining about their parents as if they were still fifteen. Alternative I will always like but it was one of the first styles I listened to so it does have a little bit of nostalgia for me. These genres are still alive today, even they are just not mainstream any longer. So discovering anything new requires a little bit of effort since it will most likely not be found on the radio or any channel. Also why I am a fan of many indie bands but now music spreads through communication between like minded fans that that share their interests. Mainstream will always be for the people following trends, not for those looking to discover something new and innovative. However I am sometimes surprised by a new band to appear on a soundtrack, even though that might not quite be mainstream exposure.

the walrus cat

the walrus who was a cat
Not all mainstream music is bad, but I despise how certain artists are objects for promoters/producers to sell to the masses. Auto tuning, shallow, generic lyrics and repetitive synth bass/percussion stop me from enjoying most modern pop/mainstream hip hop artists.

purplelink

Who started saying Big Mood
really no one responded to my whole no hope thing wow guess that experiment was a failure. any way like a lot of you said not all mainstream music is bad its just that anyone with a good voice can become a star ok maybe thats taking it to far but you get my point (hopefully)

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
I am probably one of the few people out there that prefers modern music. I still love classic music, but today's stuff just just grabs me more. Like other have said, not all mainstream stuff is bad, and there is also a lot more to music than the mainstream stuff. Plus, people usually tend to remember the negative side of things more than the positive.
There also was, is, and always will be both good and bad music. It's just that the only thing that determines whether or not it's good or bad is personal taste. Stuff I like, might be something you don't, but I might also hate your favourite artist.
I find, in terms of mainstream music, is that usually, I'll tire of it after a while, but music that I heard of elsewhere, tends to stick around with me for a lot longer. Most of the music I listen to, I either hadn't ever heard on the radio, or I had, but it was personally requested by someone and not something that would usually be played.
I hate the terms 'Good/Bad taste in music'. Just because Joe thinks I have bad taste, doesn't mean I do. We just have different tastes. Maybe I think he has bad taste too.
Sure, perhaps modern mainstream music is "worse" than it used to be, but this music by no means ultimately defines all of today's music. I actually hardly hear pop songs on the radio any more. It's all rock and alternative and even some metal. And I also rarely ever hear stuff about sex and drugs on the radio anymore, not that I heard much of it in the first place.
Popular older bands like AC/DC or Led Zeppelin are ones that I don't like. It's like anything, just 'cause you like it and it's popular doesn't mean everybody likes it. For me, I like Creedence Clearwater Revival, The Guess Who, Bachman-Turner Overdrive, and some stuff by the Beach Boys.
Modern music is not all Lady Gaga and Ke$ha. While I don't hate either artist, I'm still not a fan. I like artists like some Coldplay, the Arctic Monkeys, Dexter Freebish, and Great Big Sea.
Also, what is with all this hate of Auto-Tune? Sure, it's a little out of control nowadays, but songs like 'Blue (Da Ba Dee)' and I think 'Sucks to be You' use them, and everyone seemed to love them when they came out.

So, in all, music changes, along with everything else. Sometimes it's for the better other times it's for the worse. "Good" music exists now just as "bad" music existed before; you just have to know where to look/where to avoid. And people have different tastes. Many people don't seem to understand this. Sure, I don't understand how people can like the stuff that I don't, but whatever. If they like it, then they like it.

This is probably a confusing post as I just jumbled too many thoughts together. Sorry.

Last edited:

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Well interesting topic. I was born in the early 70's and a teen in the 80's etc. I think every decade has good and bad music. I mean people often look back at the 60's and 70's but especially at the mid 70's there was a lot of trash as well. It all depends on opinion. Nowadays music is hardly about music anymore. All the artists are a bit the same. Whatever artist you take the clips and music are all the same. Half naked women dancing and shaking their bodies around and try to make their clips as sexy as possible to cover up their poor singing performance. There are of course a couple of great artists with very great voices but most is trash.
I personally prefer rock above anything else. By this I mean all kind of rock. I love it more when bands play their own instruments and not mimic or all those electronical stuff. Not all computerized music is bad. Don't get me wrong but I'm personally not a fan of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom