• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Rating the Star Wars

MW7

1. The Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope
3. Return of the Jedi
4. Revenge of the Sith
5. Phantom Menace
6. Attack of the Clones

For me the original trilogy is pretty much the greatest thing ever, and the prequel trilogy is pretty good but not on the same level.

Hanyou

didn't build that
The Original Trilogy

The original trilogy is, on the whole, better than the prequel. Each individual release in this trilogy is better than every individual release in the PT. In fact, I dislike the PT so much that I prefer to forget it's canon when I watch the originals.

Easily the best Star Wars movie, and the only one I'd rank as a true work of art, a piece of great film. It's meticulously detailed--everything, right down to the camera work and the lighting, helps create a contemplative, sometimes despairing, sometimes uplifting atmosphere. The characters are at their peak here, the script is clever and witty but also sincere and sentimental. The Star Wars movies are character stories, and the arcs here are something to behold. Magnificent.

2. A New Hope

Perhaps the most well-executed Hero's Journey story in film history, but it never takes itself more seriously than it should. It has a youthful exuberance and enthusiasm about it which could not be manufactured--this all had to come naturally. Great adventure story, and it earned its place as a classic.

3. Return of the Jedi

There's a tiredness here, and you get the feeling that if its two predecessors hadn't been so good this story couldn't stand on its own. Yeah, that's kind of the point, though. It managed a good balance in tone between the first and second films and the story of the Rebellion and Luke's own personal journey both come to a satisfactory close. Not the best, probably couldn't stand on its own merits like the other two, but it's a worthy sequel.

The Prequel Trilogy

Why do these exist?

4. The Phantom Menace

This movie has a senseless, badly-constructed script entirely lacking in any sort of emotion at all. The story is without context and character arcs are practically nonexistent. The actors move through this blue-screen world with all the conviction of Lucas' background CGI robots and creatures, and the jokes are juvenile in the worst way possible. This movie is without charm.

But hey, at least it still kind of looks like a Star Wars film and has some kind of remotely interesting special effects. At least Tatooine set is believable. Darth Maul is kind of cool, even if he's as insignificant and stupid as everything else in this unnecessary film. And at least the movie is not usually blatantly offensive--acting's flat, not laughably bad yet.

5. Revenge of the Sith

I really get the feeling that George Lucas got input from a 12-year-old boy who'd read too many 90s comic books when making this movie. It's dark, dark, dark, but the bad things seem connected tenuously at best, so most of it just looks like random angst. Anakin's motives, a driving force in this story, are unrealistic for anything but a sociopath or psychopath (perhaps Anakin already was one- see Episode II). I bought into the hype for this crapfest initially, but by the time it came out on DVD I'd realized it didn't live up to the hype. On further observation, I have to wonder what anyone saw in it.

Simply being "dark" doesn't make for a good movie. Bad things happening doesn't make for believable character development. Silly platitudes from character's who've only paid lipservice to political movements are meaningless and laughable. Seriously, "this is how democracy dies...?" I thought the Republic wasn't a democracy or republic, just some weird oligarchy. That's all we've ever seen in these godforsaken scripts. Nothing makes sense in this world.

Episode 3 was the point where the prequel trilogy came crashing down. The whole thing was so contrived and deficient that it had to happen sooner or later. But I guess the sheer intensity of the bad things that happen to everyone in this movie kind of makes for an experience. It was fun to watch the Emperor trot around the set like he owned the place, so yeah, I'll watch this movie.

6. Attack of the Clones

A contrived, stupid love story. The acting was really, really bad. Also, how am I supposed to sympathize with these characters? Padme excuses small-scale genocide and basically laughs off Anakin's ambitions toward a dictatorship. The video game sequences, like the conveyor belt, certainly don't help.

I'm not wasting any more words on this atrocity.

Last edited:

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Having a hard time deciding on the first two. Meh...

1. Attack of the Clones - Placing it on top because of the massive battle in the coliseum. Who would've expected the sudden arrival of the Jedi and then the intrusion of droids, intermixed with a balance of humor and ferocity? And afterwards we finally got to see Yoda in action. That has to be the highlight of the movie for me. Let's not forget also the mystery behind who ordered the clones to be made...

2. Revenge of the Sith - Anakin's rage contributed massively to this story. The relationship between master and apprentice was challenged so vividly through Obi-Wan's struggle to make Skywalker see his devastating descent into the Dark Side. I couldn't think of a better way to establish the Empire's reign over the galaxies.

3. Return of the Jedi - This is the best of the originals because of how Darth Vader gazed upon his son from behind his expressionless mask with pity and avenged Luke's electrocuting torture by slaying his master.

4. Phantom Menace - Amazing way to delve into the time where the Jedi Knights still served to protect and defend the galaxy, before the Emperor's betrayal. Not to mention Darth Maul. He just rocked.

5. The Empire Strikes Back - This scene: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6sj89xgnl4&feature=related :yes:

6. A New Hope - Had the slowest start out of all these, IMO, but was still very well done. It was the first I'd seen, but it didn't carry me through the story as much as the others. I suppose that was necessary so that everything made sense to the audience, as this type of movie was relatively new then.

guapo2003

The incomparable legend
1).Revenge of the Sith
2).Star Wars (A New Hope)
3).Attack of the Clones
4).Return of the Jedi
5).The Pantom Menace
6).The Empire Strikes Back

1. Revenge of the Sith: I loved the external conflict between Obi-Wan and Annakin as well as Annakins inner conflict between power and saving Padmay (not sure how you spell it). Great way to drive the movie forward and the ending battles between Yoda and Sidious and Darth Vader and Obi-Wan was epic. I was on my feet the entire time.

2. Attack of the Clones: The colloseum battle onwards really sold this movie for me. We finally get to see a mass battle between the Jedi and the clones and Yoda finally makes an appearence in battle as well. Great movie all around.

3. Phantom Menace: The background story on how Obi-Wan became such a great jedi was just magnificent to see since he's one of my favorite characters in the whole series. Also, Darth Maul was pretty epic along with the final battle when you see Quigan (again have no idea how you spell that name) die.

4-6 : The sequel trilogy wasn't bad, it just didn't live up to my expectations of what a Star Wars movie should be. The acting wasn't as good, the special effects weren't up to par with the prequels, and I didn't like Luke as a protagonist. Just overall a step below the prequels.

I love them all, though. It's really hard for me to hate a movie since I'm not that hard of a critic to please.

Favorites:

1. Revenge of the Sith

2. The Empire Strikes Back

3. Attack of the Clones

4. The Phantom Menace

5. A New Hope

6. Return of the Jedi

Best:

2. A New Hope

3. Revenge of the Sith

4. The Phantom Menace

5. Attack of the Clones

6. Return of the Jedi

Koosholts said:
4-6 : The sequel trilogy wasn't bad, it just didn't live up to my expectations of what a Star Wars movie should be. The acting wasn't as good, the special effects weren't up to par with the prequels, and I didn't like Luke as a protagonist. Just overall a step below the prequels.

Sorry, I have to call out your reasoning here. How did it not live up to your expectations? Those were the first three movies; if anything, they set the expectations for you that the others exceeded. Also, of course the special effects weren't up to par. Those three were made 1977, 1980, and 1983, while the other three were made in 1999, 2002, and 2005. How can you expect the special effects to be the same? I can't really dispute your bad acting and Luke arguments since they're matters of opinion, but I do disagree.

Sorry, I have to call out your reasoning here. How did it not live up to your expectations? Those were the first three movies; if anything, they set the expectations for you that the others exceeded. Also, of course the special effects weren't up to par. Those three were made 1977, 1980, and 1983, while the other three were made in 1999, 2002, and 2005. How can you expect the special effects to be the same? I can't really dispute your bad acting and Luke arguments since they're matters of opinion, but I do disagree.

I watched the prequels first, in order, so they were the ones that set the expectations for me, not the sequels. I understand that the special effects can't physically be up to par with the later movies, but I would be lying if I said that the special effects wasn't a a factor as to why I dislike the sequels more then the prequels.

I watched the prequels first, in order, so they were the ones that set the expectations for me, not the sequels. I understand that the special effects can't physically be up to par with the later movies, but I would be lying if I said that the special effects wasn't a a factor as to why I dislike the sequels more then the prequels.

Well, I understand that they don't meet your expectations, but what bothers me is the "of what a Star Wars movie should be" part. You're free to have your opinion as to your favorites, but I don't think the last part is fair to say.

I guess it's alright if the special effects part factors into what your favorites are, as long as you understand why they don't have equal special effects.

MW7

The original trilogy is, on the whole, better than the prequel. Each individual release in this trilogy is better than every individual release in the PT. In fact, I dislike the PT so much that I prefer to forget it's canon when I watch the originals.

I agree with this. In fact before this thread I thought this was generally accepted by everyone. Maybe it has something to do with age, and the younger generation sees something completely different when watching the films. Heck even sitcoms have commonly made fun of the quality of the prequels. Just off the top of my head there was something in the Simpsons where Lenny and Carl were fighting with lightsabers arguing over whether Phantom Menace or Attack of the Clones sucked more. In How I Met Your Mother there was an episode in which everyone was being super nice to Marshall when he was going through tough times and he tested to see if people were humoring him by saying "Phantom Menance is by far the greatest Star Wars movie."

The Prequel Trilogy

Why do these exist?

This is pretty much the only thing you said that I disagree with. Considering how the series was envisoned in six parts from the beginning we were going to get the prequels eventually. I think the full story of Anakin Skywalker deserved to be told, but I think you and I can agree that the prequels should have been a billion times better.

Hanyou

didn't build that
I agree with this. In fact before this thread I thought this was generally accepted by everyone. Maybe it has something to do with age, and the younger generation sees something completely different when watching the films. Heck even sitcoms have commonly made fun of the quality of the prequels. Just off the top of my head there was something in the Simpsons where Lenny and Carl were fighting with lightsabers arguing over whether Phantom Menace or Attack of the Clones sucked more. In How I Met Your Mother there was an episode in which everyone was being super nice to Marshall when he was going through tough times and he tested to see if people were humoring him by saying "Phantom Menance is by far the greatest Star Wars movie."

I'm actually surprised myself, too. The prequels just seem irredeemably bad to me, especially in terms of acting and writing (I think the Matrix films are worse in the acting department, actually, but that's another story)...

Also, to people saying the special effects in the prequels are better...really? I've never thought so. I will take the original versions of the original trilogy, just from a visual standpoint, over all of the clean, fake-looking prequels. Sure, rubber costumes look fake, but they look no more fake than the CGI creations in the prequels and they often have a lot more character. And then there are things like the Battle of Hoth or the trench run, which are truly visceral and very well-executed. No prequel battle even comes close, because it's actually possible to follow what's going on in Original Trilogy battles and the technology feels heavy and warlike.

I just don't see how the prequel trilogy has better special effects. Technologically they are, but I don't think they were used very well at all. To me, this is sort of like saying Peter Jackson's King Kong has better special effects than the original. Objectively, yeah, but which one feels more real in the context of its own universe? Which one is more interesting? Which one would you rather watch? Thought so.

This is pretty much the only thing you said that I disagree with. Considering how the series was envisoned in six parts from the beginning we were going to get the prequels eventually. I think the full story of Anakin Skywalker deserved to be told, but I think you and I can agree that the prequels should have been a billion times better.

Not from the beginning. Lucas intended to make three movies from the beginning, I believe (possibly just one, not sure), but only came up with his idea for nine movies during the production of The Empire Strikes Back. Star Wars was not originally called Episode IV: A New Hope, for example.

Lucas has changed his story, though. He likes revising history. I think he's even argued he originally envisioned Vader as Luke's father, which is, of course, an outright lie.

Last edited:
From favorite to least favorite:

1. Return of the Jedi

This movie is a perfect conclusion to the original trilogy. It not only fulfills the prophecy in an extremely clever and though provoking way but ties together loose ends for characters like Jabba the Hut and Boba Fett. After reading the book based on the movie, I also love the interpretation that Anakin Skywalker thought of his love, Padme, as he picked up the Emperor and dropped him down the elevator shaft. Luke's perseverance in converting his father and not turning to the dark side is also extremely memorable. I also absolutely love the moment when Palpatine states, "Now witness the power of this fully armed and operational battle station". Those rebels quickly follow up with one of those, "Oh ****, we're screwed" moments and the movie only gets better from there. The Ewoks are also silent but deadly and cute but powerful. The ending vision with the now three immortal Jedi is heart moving and it was pleasing to see Lucas stick with Skywalker's model as seen at the end of Return of the Jedi in Revenge of the Sith.

2. Revenge of the Sith

A lot of people pan this as being an action movie from start to finish but there truly are some profound moments to be found here as well such as Count Dooku's death, Order 66 and the bewildered Jedi as they realize they are being shot at by their former clones, and last but certainly not least, Anakin's perception that those who cared for him most-Padme and Obi-Wan had betrayed him. The ending battles are also spectacular and hold up well to this day. It was a pleasure to see the Emperor reeling back in pain from his own Sith lightning and the final battle on the bridge, molten platforms, and droids over a sea of lava all culminating in the defining moment of the saga-Anakin's naivity in jumping from lower ground to try and kill Obi-Wan. Unfortunately, the General Grievious vs. Obi-Wan sequence was sorely lacking. Very disappointing end to an interesting villain.

3. The Empire Strikes Back

Another high point for the saga. Although the special effects now seem dated, this episode arguably has the most detailed and rich story of any. The story starts slow with some combat on Hoth but quickly picks up with Luke's vision of the allegedly deceased Obi-Wan Kenobi. From there, the fundamental character (although quite a puppet then :P) is introduced and things quickly start to heat up. The battle in the cave between Luke and Vader is one of the most thought-provoking scenes in any movie ever made and caused chills to run down my back as a child. Seeing Vader's Super Star Destroyer for the first time is also interesting and a nice twist is added when numerous bounty hunters are introduced into the fray. Lucas also cleverly ties Boba Fett into the movie as a mysterious albeit powerful figure. The Empire Strikes Back also portrays Lando Calrissian's evolution from a gambling mogul to someone who would risk his life to save a friend, Han Solo. The final battle between Luke and Vader is also unmatched from a story perspective and the animation hold their own to this day.

4. The Phantom Menace

I predictably have less to say about this second half of movie but the Phantom Menace honestly does not deserve the hate it garners if only for the excellent characters of Qui-Gon Jinn and Darth Maul. It's a battle of two of the greatest characters in Star Wars history twice! It's also extremely moving to see Qui-Gon's death and Obi-Wan's use of the force to slay Maul with his master's blade. The Trade Federation is also well introduced throughout the course of the movie. I might have to think about seeing the 3D rerelease of the Phantom Menace some time soon.

5. A New Hope

I'm sorry old-school Star wars fanboys but I don't have much love for this one. The movie, however, starts off and ends strong. It's very interesting to see Vader's intrusion into Leia's ship and the subsequent dialogue exchange. Also, the X-Wing-Ti-Fighter battle that occurs within the exterior of the Death Star is one for the history books! The viewer gains respect for Vader after seeing him pilot his ride using only the force. Unfortunately, the short lightsaber duel is extremely disappointing but then again, the technology of the day is to blame,

6. Attack of the Clones

This movie is completely irredeemable in my eyes. Things are never looking good in this entry. Zam Wessel looks like she's about to puke before her death, the final lightsaber duel is short and disappointing, and Jango's Fett death is the biggest WTF moment in the whole saga. Stupid from start to finish. The fight on the rainy surface of Kamino as well as the introduction of Super Battle Droids are the only somewhat worthwhile moments. Also, the death of Anakin's mother is hardly moving at all.

My favorites go in this order:

1- Return of the Jedi
2- Revenge of the Sith
3- Phantom Menace
4- Empire Strikes Back
5- A New Hope
6- Attack of the Clones

2. A New Hope
3. Return of the Jedi
4. Attack of the Clones
5. Phantom Menace
6. Revenge of the Sith

As you see, I have no care for the first three movies. As action movies, they're passable, and the action sequences are fun for the younger crowd. The story is awful, however. Lucas practically ruined my childhood with the creation of these terrible prequels. It's hard for me to consider them Star Wars movies when I see Jar-Jar Binks around every corner at the toy store. Star Wars doesn't need comic relief, especially when it's not this funny. Attack of the Clones was pretty solid, and it had one of the best action sequences in movies. Then, the third one. Oh man, romantic drama much? They sacrifice story and action for the mushy romance junk, and then it makes me laugh at Hayden Christiansen's acting (won a Golden Raspberry, by the way) Who wrote his dialogue? A monkey? I could do better.

Besides that, the first three movies are incredible, and I love them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom