• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Rate Your Life so Far

Link&Midna

K-Dawg
Hmm... Well, I'd say I've had a good life as far as external factors go. The pandemic didn't hit me too hard at first, but in the last couple of months I've started to feel kind of bad about never doing anything with people (I almost never hung out with my friends outside of school, and since I can't really see people anyways because of covid that means I pretty much never see anyone). But, even though I'm getting restless from not getting to do much, I'd say my life in general got better throughout the last year.

When I was in the 9/10th grades I can't say I had the best social skills, and I tended to latch onto people who had similar interests or who were just sort of nice to me. I didn't realize it at the time, but that meant a lot of my friendships were pretty one sided and I was a nuisance to a lot of people who I thought also wanted to be friends with me... And I was kind of insecure deep down, which I guess manifested in me acting kind of wild- I was homeschooled until the 5th grade and didn't go to a big school until the 9th, and as a homeschooled kid I didn't have many friends so my social skills were kind of rusty. The smaller schools I went to loved how over the top and wild I could be, but when I got to a big school I'm guessing people felt differently. I think they tolerated me, but a few people would say little things here and there that would hint that they didn't think highly of me, and that would hurt me deep down and I'd cry myself to sleep that night (either that or I'd make a really random level in Mario Maker, name it something like "I hate everyone", and then cry myself to sleep). Of course, looking back I really was a pretty insufferable person and I'm surprised that people were even nice to me at all. But pretty much everyone I knew from those times still respected me and treated me like an equal, and I'm glad that they were kind enough to tolerate me while I began to mature and understand how to be a better person instead of acting like a crackheaded little gremlin because I thought people would laugh.

But anyways, what made me begin to really mature that way was having to switch to virtual school. Because I wasn't surrounded by other kids, I was able to relax and not worry about every little thing I did, and I also stopped latching onto people and just kind of sat back and saw the people who were making effort to still talk to me. Now I've got a handful of people I consider my close friends, people I am confident in my friendships with and people that I'm not worrying about where I stand with them. So I'm a lot more secure now that I've established that the friends I have care about me just as much as I care about them, and I've also learned to chill out and relax in my interactions with people, and not worry that I'm annoying them (another perk of virtual school is that I know I can't get on anyone's nerves, because I'm not even there). But I'm ready to go back to school again, because I want to show all my old friends and acquaintances how I've grown, and plus I'm actually starting to miss them.

My faith has also gotten stronger within the past year. Back in March of 2020, my dog of 10 years had no chance of survival and had to be put down. She was my absolute closest friend and she meant the world to me, so you can imagine how devasted I was to lose her. But I wasn't worried that she would be gone forever, because I was absolutely certain that I would see her again, in Heaven. And I know it's a no brainer for me to feel that way, but when I was little I had a nightmare where she died and in the nightmare I felt this deep, crushing doubt in the existence of God, and was terrified that none of it was real and that I'd lose her forever if she died. But when it happened for real, I didn't feel even a shred of doubt, and was completely confident that God was real and that she would be there in Heaven, waiting for me. That really helped me though the whole thing, and I am so glad that my faith has gotten strong enough that I didn't waver in my belief when my nightmare actually happened, because it's really reassuring to know that I won't have that doubt problem anymore and that God will always be there for me.

So maybe I should actually answer the question... Yes, I like how my life is going, but if I could change anything I think I'd like to go back to the 9th grade and change the way I acted around people.

(I don't actually expect anyone to read all this, but dang, it felt good to vent. Lol.)

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
when I was younger (high school age) I said I'd rather be anyone else
anyone who's read Voltaire's Candide knows the strange solidarity of man's misfortune (wait that alliteration is great I'm copyrighting that no stealy steal), so most people have probably felt the same way at some point, and I've never meant it to be in a "my life is so much tougher than yours" way

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
When you ask if there's anything I would change in my life, I say absolutely not. I've always had a sort of "no regrets philosophy". Good days bring you happiness, better days bring you memories, and bad days bring you lessons. I've had my fair share of down moments, but I took something away from each of them. I will admit I've had it a lot easier than some, since I've always taken my parents advice and tried not to sidle into the crowd. The key is to surround yourself with good friends, people who will lift you up and not drag you down. Also to play lots and lots of Zelda, that helps too. Overall a 9/10 for me

MW7

I have little to complain about, but illnesses may be one thing I would change. I still can see the silver lining though so I can't say for sure that I absolutely would be better off changing that. I wouldn't go lower than 9/10 though because I think I have had a very easy life so far.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
Hundreds of millions of people are living in poverty. I make less than the average wage in my country but yet am still in the top 4% of wage earners on earth. Based on that perspective alone I am incredibly privileged purely from the luck of being born in the right county.

My parents are fairly poor given that they’re both unemployed and I was never handed anything substantial without having to work for it but due to the fact that in my country money isn’t a barrier to healthcare and university education I’ve been able to become university educated, live abroad and travel abroad, remain healthy, and find a decent paying graduate job so that I will likely be living a relatively comfortable life and giving back to the economic development of my place of residence going forward through my taxes. It hasn’t been all easy but objectively my life is pretty good due to the combination of mostly luck (if I had been born in a country without such a support net I highly doubt I’d have been nearly as successful as I am today) and hard work along the way. I don’t believe it’s good to trivialize people’s problems but I also think that many people in first world countries are pretty blind to just how good we have it.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
As much as my life is average at best, I really have no right to complain.

I'm healthy, I'm getting my degree, I have family that I can rely on, and I have plenty of great people to communicate with even if my irl social life is nonexistent, etc. Would I change some things that happened in the past and aspects of who I am now? Sure. Always room to improve.

But overall, I'm thankful for what I have, what I'm doing, and having my mother teach me to be the person I am now.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Oh I'm very happy with my life. Of course not everything has been good but the way things turned out for me are pretty good. I got a job, a great house, an amazing husband, a sweet fur baby and we got food and are still healthy. I don't like to go back in the past and complain. Because it won't help to regret things from the past in the present. Mistakes or events won't be turned back or change. The best thing is to continue and I'm very happy.

ArchAngel217

Spoonman, come together with your hands, save meee
In your head, in your head. Zombie zombie zombie.
Wait... I haven't said how my life is so far!

6/10
It would be higher, but... regrets.
I've done some regrettable things... and I can't stop thinking about them. Most of them I have yet to make up for.
Relationship problems.
My relationship with my dad and my sister could be better. I chicken out of romantic opportunities.
Of course, it's on the higher side because of relationships, as well. I've made a lot of good, supportive friends. They're not the best secret keepers, but, hey, that's fine. And there are so many good people here!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom