• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Rate the Most Recent Anime You Watched

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
Horimiya- 9/10

This one's outside my usual genre but I decided to watch it anyway. Ending up accidently watching 8 episodes in one sitting. Overall I like this show a lot, it had a lot of really funny moments. By like episode 3 though the whole "everyone has a side of them nobody else sees" angle was pretty much put the window and it was a little generic. I thought Miyamura changed too much too quickly and I preferred how he was in the first couple episodes. It also annoyed me how much focus the side characters. They were good characters and all, but if a show is only gonna be 12 episodes long I really just want to get back to the main pairing. I really did like this show though, it was a lot of fun so I'll give it a high ranking.

Horimiya- 9/10

This one's outside my usual genre but I decided to watch it anyway. Ending up accidently watching 8 episodes in one sitting. Overall I like this show a lot, it had a lot of really funny moments. By like episode 3 though the whole "everyone has a side of them nobody else sees" angle was pretty much put the window and it was a little generic. I thought Miyamura changed too much too quickly and I preferred how he was in the first couple episodes. It also annoyed me how much focus the side characters. They were good characters and all, but if a show is only gonna be 12 episodes long I really just want to get back to the main pairing. I really did like this show though, it was a lot of fun so I'll give it a high ranking.

Great show but the second half felt rushed. Also, I agree that the focus on the side characters, especially in the later episodes, took away from seeing Hori and Miyamura together. I wanted to see more of main relationship. Plus, the bromance between Miyamura and Hori's dad was amazing, hehe.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Horimiya- 9/10

Great show but the second half felt rushed. Also, I agree that the focus on the side characters, especially in the later episodes, took away from seeing Hori and Miyamura together. I wanted to see more of main relationship. Plus, the bromance between Miyamura and Hori's dad was amazing, hehe.
I highly recommend reading the manga in that case. What the show did adapt was done beautifully, but it also cut out like 90 chapters worth of content. It literally skipped around all the way to the end of the story. If you want more then definitely give it a read. It's 122 chapters. Plenty of room for the lovely and hilarious antics the side characters get up to while still giving the titular relationship time to develop.

GrooseIsLoose

Slickest pompadour in town
ZD Legend
Just completed Aggretsuko 4th season. It was decent 6/10
It's basically a show about Japanese work culture.
Interesting thing I learnt from the fourth season was that you couldn't simply fire someone in Japan. They get sent to a room with no facilities and ьдthing to do until they quit their job themselves

One Piece 3D2Y - 8 /10

I enjoyed this special quite a bit. It was nice to see more Buggy and Boa Hancock, and Luffy fighting together with Hancock felt fresh. Haki's introduction to Luffy's arsenal was well done. The villains are a little generic, but I found the final fight to have more heart than expected.

Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-chan - 6/10

I thought that the premise of this show was a little weird with an angel who kills the main character repeatedly and brings him back to life as a running gag, and the protagonist also created some harem future where girls don't age past 12. The OP and ED songs are great, but it doesn't have much of an ending, and the animation is meh.

One Piece: Episode of Nami - 9/10

Arlong Park is a pretty short arc, so this retelling with better animation does an excellent job. This is my favorite arc from the first saga of One Piece, and this special did it justice.

Lycoris Recoil - 9/10

This looks like a cute girls fighting terrorism anime at first, but it's so much more. I loved the quieter slice-of-life moments. Chisato is such a fantastic character. I love her energy. The main antagonist is a great foil to her. I also love how every character in this anime has some hidden secrets. Amazing OP and ED as well. My only complaint is that the plot feels a little rushed at the end.

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
Little Busters & Little Busters ~Refrain~ (Eng Dub version)

Gonna preface this by saying I have seen this show before with the original dub, but I was watching it with someone who Is unable to do subtitles, which is how I watch the majority of the dubs I see.

With that in mind, I think the English dub of Little Busters is pretty awful. Trying to ignore the fact that Japanese name suffixes are actually said out loud in the dub (and boy is it weird to hear), but there seem to be a lot of instances of poor localisation, and even too much direct translation making a lot of the jokes fall flat (especially with a character whose first language is not Japanese, most of the puns and language fails translate very poorly with how they’ve done it, similar to the Genshiken dub when the characters talk English instead of Japanese), and a lot of the conversations tend to feel stilted. I will say the voice actors did a pretty decent job with what they had to work with. I appreciate that names were pronounced consistently the same by everyone, but a lot of the emotional impact of this anime for me is lost in the dub. The reveal episode still had somewhat of an impact, but overall, I’d never recommend this dub to anyone. Probably a 4/10 for me. Original language version sits at around a 7/10, if you’d like a comparison.

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
Death Note- 9/10

This show was a million times better than I thought it would be, it broke all of my expectations. The first third was probably my favorite. Having the whole intricate chess battle between Light and L, the high stakes who-finds-who-first was so interesting. I almost died at the first TV announcement where L tricked Kira. I liked having the shinigami around. The show kind of lost a bit of interest after that point, although it was still really good. Didn't care at all about corrupt businessmen, I just wanted Kira back. And as for the last third, I loved the characters of Near and Mello. I wish we had more time to dig into their connection and their past with L. Honestly I'd probably put this show with the top 3 of 4 I've seen.

For anyone who has seen the show or doesn't mind spoilers-
I really miss L. Everything kind of fell apart after he was gone. It would have been nice if he could somehow have majorly contributed to Kira being caught, but oh well. I thought it just felt weird that he had such a hard time tracking down Kira, making all these intricate plans, and then Near figured it out almost instantly. I do feel like thats partially because of Light, though. He completely forgot about his ideals (twisted as they may be) and grew too much in confidence. He thought he'd gotten rid of every threat and didn't think his plans through thoroughly. That whole insane rambling fit he throws at the end just goes to show how far he had regressed from when he started. He was no better than his followers. Gahhh, I just want to analyze every bit of this show. Amazing experience, watched all 37 episodes in 4 days. Very happy.

GrooseIsLoose

ZD Legend
And as for the last third, I loved the characters of Near and Mello
If Death Note was two seasons, I would rate the first 9 and the second 4. For me, I felt that the story was great until L died. Sure, Near was smarter than L but his character did not attract me at all as much as the former. Mello severely lacked screen time imo. And the ending does not do justice either. Light did not die in a battle of wits, he died because of Mikami's mistake.

Last edited by a moderator:

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo
Despite knowing how things would play out since I'm familiar w/ the story, the show was still extremely good and kept me invested the whole way. Really my only complaint is some of the voice acting, namely for Albert (main character), but even so this might be up there in my favorites.

Magia Record
Not bad but there was sort of too much characters to keep track of. For season 1, who I thought would be the main group in the beginning ended up being completely different by the end. Madoka Magica characters were great to see but they just amounted to being a glorified guest appearance. They could've not been in the show at all and it probably wouldn't affect the story in the slightest. Even so, decent show.

Lupin III Part 6 - 7/10

This part was a bit of a disappointment coming off of part 5. I prefer the first half in London with the Sherlock Holmes focus. The second half about Lupin's past is needlessly convoluted. Still, it's great to see the cast as usual, and some of the one off episodes are hilarious.

Housing Complex C - 5/10

Four episodes for this horror anime wasn't nearly enough. The first three episodes are pretty slow paced, and then the last one is an exposition dump with massive reveals that don't have the time left to make them feel meaningful.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Yu Yu Hakusho - 8/10

This is a series that I used to watch all the time back in the Toonami days. It's right up there with Naruto among the very first anime I ever watched. I was randomly struck recently with the whim to finally experience the entire thing, as I never actually saw the whole series before and there was very little I remembered from it. It was a really fun watch. The Black Chapter arc was easily the peak of the show, and was the most satisfying on the whole. Certain parts of it felt like a slog, especially the final arc which was hard to sit through, but it was a lot of fun overall. I plan to watch Hunter x Hunter next to see how Togashi's ideas developed after he finished YYH.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Death Note- 9/10

This show was a million times better than I thought it would be, it broke all of my expectations. The first third was probably my favorite. Having the whole intricate chess battle between Light and L, the high stakes who-finds-who-first was so interesting. I almost died at the first TV announcement where L tricked Kira. I liked having the shinigami around. The show kind of lost a bit of interest after that point, although it was still really good. Didn't care at all about corrupt businessmen, I just wanted Kira back. And as for the last third, I loved the characters of Near and Mello. I wish we had more time to dig into their connection and their past with L. Honestly I'd probably put this show with the top 3 of 4 I've seen.

For anyone who has seen the show or doesn't mind spoilers-
I really miss L. Everything kind of fell apart after he was gone. It would have been nice if he could somehow have majorly contributed to Kira being caught, but oh well. I thought it just felt weird that he had such a hard time tracking down Kira, making all these intricate plans, and then Near figured it out almost instantly. I do feel like thats partially because of Light, though. He completely forgot about his ideals (twisted as they may be) and grew too much in confidence. He thought he'd gotten rid of every threat and didn't think his plans through thoroughly. That whole insane rambling fit he throws at the end just goes to show how far he had regressed from when he started. He was no better than his followers. Gahhh, I just want to analyze every bit of this show. Amazing experience, watched all 37 episodes in 4 days. Very happy.
Glad to hear you liked Death Note, I liked it a lot too! As for your spoiler part:

L knew that Light was Kira, he just could not prove it beyond a doubt. It took L's death sadly to catch Kira for the reason you already mentioned. Light felt like L was the only person who could actually catch him, he never expected that there could be other people who were just as intelligent as L who could pose a threat to him. So that long timeframe where he felt he had won caused him to slip up majorly, he got too confident, and started making too many mistakes.

GrooseIsLoose

ZD Legend
Just completed Stardust Crusaders 8.5/10. The writing was smart and kept me on the edge. I liked the stands to

Made in Abyss Movie 3: Dawn of the Deep Soul - 10/10

I checked this canon movie out before watching the second season. Bondrewd is one of the best villains in anime history. A truly sickly and terrifying being. The final fight has the best animation I've seen in the series so far, and there are definitely some emotional gut punches in here as well.

One Piece Film: Red - 9/10

I like how different this One Piece movie is. The musical focus is refreshing, and I love all of Ado's song. The villain is also quite a bit unexpected. The final battle is hype, and I'm glad Luffy at least somewhat interacts with the enigmatic Shanks in this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom