• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Rate the Most Recent Anime You Watched

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
A flipside of the Rate the Last TV show You Watched thread, this is a thread to rate specifically animes you have finished. Remember to use spoiler tags when going in depth with reviews. As with the other thread, a scale of 1-10 should be used for numerical ratings to keep things consistent across all reviews.

To kick things off, the last anime I watched was:

Season 1 of Kaguya-sama: Love is War

8/10

If a chill, romcom anime seems up your alley, I highly recommend this. The jokes and scenarios are always on point, I don't think I've ever laughed so much while watching an anime. I love it though because it's not just about romance and comedy, but actual character growth, every character is written so well. I cannot wait to see how things progress in Season 2!

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
Demon Slayer - 6.5/10

Demon Slayer is a beautifully animated show with great action throughout (it's Ufotable; I wouldn't expect anything less), but the writing is very hit or miss and most of the cast is rather bland or irritating. My biggest issue with the series is how there was a distinct tonal shift at the introduction of certain characters. The show started off quite strong, but after that point, it felt like it upped the filler and tried to force a lot of comedy that ended up falling flat. Still, I can't complain too much. The fight scenes were great and the interactions between the MCs were very nice too. Looking forward to watching Mugen Train when it releases online.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Demon Slayer - 6.5/10

Demon Slayer is a beautifully animated show with great action throughout (it's Ufotable; I wouldn't expect anything less), but the writing is very hit or miss and most of the cast is rather bland or irritating. My biggest issue with the series is how there was a distinct tonal shift at the introduction of certain characters. The show started off quite strong, but after that point, it felt like it upped the filler and tried to force a lot of comedy that ended up falling flat. Still, I can't complain too much. The fight scenes were great and the interactions between the MCs were very nice too. Looking forward to watching Mugen Train when it releases online.
After I got caught up with AoT I considered watching this but eventually passed because I was told it's mainly the animation that is a draw, otherwise it's kind of generic. I might watch it eventually, but not anytime soon.

twilitfalchion

Staff member
Attack on Titan Season 2- 9/10

Another very solid season. Shorter, but definitely not lacking in action or substance. I'm warming up to Eren as a protagonist, somewhat at least. I liked how other characters were given time in the spotlight. Levi and Mikasa are still personal favorites. Music was banger after banger. S1's soundtrack was great, but S2 really went hard with the quality of the tracks. Overall great. Looking forward to season 3.

Think I'll post here only once a month or so to avoid clogging up the place. Most recent ones I've completed:

Steins;Gate - 8/10

The first 10 or so episodes of the show were too slow paced for me. Yes, there was pay-off in the second half, but this start didn't hold my interest. The second half of the show is amazing. Most of the plot points are extremely cleverly foreshadowed and had me thinking why I hadn't predicted them.

Berserk (1997) - 9/10

Kentaro Miura's amazing writing from the manga as well as the composers for the anime definitely carry this one. The animation is extremely limited, but the story and music are just too engrossing. An extremely well written journey about self-discovery and betrayal.

Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day - 9/10

Such an emotional anime about finding closure after the death of a friend. All of the characters bounce so well off one another and the music is great. It was really cathartic. I just wish it were a little longer.

AwdryFan1997

you are not immune to propaganda
While not an entire anime series, I have no other opportunity to bring this up.

Nuumamonjaa (aka, the Chrono Trigger OVA) - 9/10

This is the only anime I've ever seen, therefore it is the most recent anime I've seen.

This just makes me happy. The cartoon has barely anything to do with Chrono Trigger, so it has no choice but to hold up on its own. And it certainly does. That goddamn Nu always makes me crack a smile. It's not even the most advanced comedy out there. It's just small things. It was never intended as some kind of supplementary material to CT, hell, it contradicts the game's plot multiple times (obviously for the sake of comedy, you can't complain about Gato casting Luminaire and destroying Leene Square, because it's funny), and I'm glad it wasn't. Why, I'm even glad it didn't feature any of the main characters (Crono and Lucca make brief cameos, but that's it), because the two main characters of this OVA are enough. And Johnny. Never before could I have imagined THE MAN could've been such a compelling antagonist, lol. Apparently there are people who dislike this cartoon. To each their own, obviously, but if you're going to watch this, go in knowing that it's not going to be anything serious and that you're just supposed to relax and laugh.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Attack on Titan Season 2- 9/10

Another very solid season. Shorter, but definitely not lacking in action or substance. I'm warming up to Eren as a protagonist, somewhat at least. I liked how other characters were given time in the spotlight. Levi and Mikasa are still personal favorites. Music was banger after banger. S1's soundtrack was great, but S2 really went hard with the quality of the tracks. Overall great. Looking forward to season 3.
It wasn't that long ago that I was in this same spot, and I wish I could go back. From Season 3 onward the show gets soooo good, and it was already very good with Seasons 1 and 2. You have some great content ahead of you!

twilitfalchion

Staff member
Attack on Titan Season 3 - 10/10

Banger of a season. I loved the character arcs that were fleshed out and how so much happened with the central plot during this season. Nothing ever felt poorly paced. Music was on point as always, and part 2 of the season especially has some of my favorite action sequences in any anime I've watched.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Attack on Titan Season 3 - 10/10

Banger of a season. I loved the character arcs that were fleshed out and how so much happened with the central plot during this season. Nothing ever felt poorly paced. Music was on point as always, and part 2 of the season especially has some of my favorite action sequences in any anime I've watched.
Yeah, Season 3 is amazing. I love how the show constantly is throwing curves.
Levi going beast mode remains one of my highlights.

Back for my monthly update.

Dr. Stone: Stone Wars - 8/10

Finally got around to finishing this one up. I thought the middle of the season was awkwardly paced, but the last two episodes were beautiful. I do wish the scientific inventions were fleshed out a bit more as well. They were glossed over compared to the first season.

So I'm a Spider, So What? - 4/10

I am extremely disappointed with how this ended. The end of the first cour was great, but the second half did not hold up at all. There was too much of a focus on the forgettable human characters, and the CG was absolutely awful.

Odd Taxi - 9/10

Fantastic mystery/crime series. I finally got around to watching it because I saw so many YouTube videos about the series. Everything is so well thought out, and the plot twists in the last episode are fantastic. My only gripe is that the OP and ED are forgettable.

Gunsmith Cats - 7/10

A solid three episode OVA with some crime busting in good old Chicago.

The Slime Diaries - 7/10

A pretty good spin-off series where all the characters get some slice of life chill with lots of festivals. A great anime to relax to.

Golden Boy - 8/10

A hilarious 6 episode series wherein Kintaro learns about various jobs and gains real world experience while helping a lot of people despite initially appearing incompetent.

Neon Genesis Evangelion - 8/10

The start is a little slow with the action usually only being 3-5 minutes at the end of the episodes, but the character interactions are splendid. The second half is much more philosophical, and I love the direction and coloring in a lot of episodes. Unfortunately, the last two episodes are giant exposition dumps with minimal animation.

Kosuke-sama Rikimaru-sama: Konpeitou no Ryuu - 8/10

An anime with involvement from Akira Toriyama that I hadn't heard about until today. It has some excellent animation and fight scenes for an 80s anime and the ending is quite touching.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
To Your Eternity - 10/10

The series just finished the other day, and man. What a ride. Gorgeous animation, a killer combo for OP and ED songs, and music that doesn't really hit you until it hits you at just the right moments. An emotional rollercoaster that makes you question and think about your mortality and what to do with the time you have. Only real complaint I had was there were two episodes toward the end where the pacing felt rushed, like they had to save on budget. Even so, it was a really excellent visual treat overall. Watch it if you want your heart ripped out every couple episodes. watch it even if you don't.

twilitfalchion

Staff member
Puella Magi Madoka Magica - 7.5/10

I had heard about this one for a long time. Ended up watching it for the heck of it, honestly. It's a good show. Can't say it impressed me as much as it has for others, based on what I usually read about it, but I still enjoyed it a fair bit. The plot and cast of characters were nicely done, though I'd say the ending left a bit to be desired. Felt like it came to a resolution a bit too easily and quickly. The music was particularly good, and the visuals were also well done. Overall solid show.

Great Teacher Onizuka - 9/10

Loved the dynamic of this anime with a former gangster teaching important life lessons to kids even if his academic knowledge is rock bottom. Lots of laughs and tears to be had.

My Hero Academia Season 5 - 7/10

Sadly, this was the worst season of MHA. Parts of it were slogs to get through. The final few episodes pick up the pace but there is no amazing fight like in the first four seasons.

Star Wars Visions - 7/10

I had a lot of fun with this series of Star Wars anime shorts but some are definitely way better than others. The black and white "The Duel" is my favorite. Episodes 3, 5, and 8 are also pretty good. One of them also has a cute homage to Astro Boy.

Inuyasha - 8/10

A fun shounen set in the feudal era. The dynamic between the main characters is fantastic as is the primary antagonist. The music is some of my favorite in any anime. The one area where this falls short is there is too much of that pesky old school anime filler.

Inuyasha Movie 1 - Affections Touching Across Time - 9/10

Absolutely loved some of the emotional beats in this one between Inuyasha and Kagome even if the villain and his henchmen were a little bland. The animation and music are excellent.

Inuyasha Movie 2: The Castle Beyond the Looking Glass - 7/10

Way too much of this movie is spent on a fetch quest reviving a villain. The finale is solid but nowhere near as good as the first movie's. Still, there are some funny moments here and the music once again is phenomenal.

Inuyasha Movie 3: Swords of an Honorable Ruler - 7/10

Nothing too special about this one besides Inuyasha and Sesshomaru working together and seeing their father. It's a solid movie but probably the weakest of the four Inuyasha movies.

Inuyasha Movie 4: Fire on the Mystic Island - 8/10

This movie is very similar to my favorite arc in the original Inuyasha, so I also enjoyed it a lot. Everyone in the main cast gets to shine.

Inuyasha: The Final Act - 9/10

The best episodes of Inuyasha. The ending is extremely satisfying. My one complaint is that the first half is a little too fast paced.

Fena: Pirate Princess - 6/10

Great animation, a solid cast of characters, and an interesting historical backdrop are ruined by an ending that is out of place.

Perfect Blue - 9/10

One of the scariest movies I have ever seen. The plot twists in the last third had me shocked. Such fantastic music, animation, and plot. My one complaint is that the rape scenes in this movie are a little too visceral.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom