• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Rate the Most Recent Anime You Watched

Not much recently. Been busy.

Blade of the Immortal - 7/10

It took me over a year to finish this one because of how bloody and sexual it is. There is someone being decapitated or raped every episode. But the story and characters are pretty solid.

Death Note - 9/10

I'm probably one of the few people who hasn't seen this one until now. Loved the first 2/3, but the last third is lackluster as Light feels significantly dumbed down.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Death Note - 9/10

Overall a really suspenseful anime that kept me on my toes on how things would progress. It's also a really tragic story, the Death Note is a terrible thing that only brings misfortune to the people who find out about it.

Light's family falls apart between his dad dying, his sister being traumatized, and the grief his mother has to go through from all these things, plus Light's own death. All the potential romantic relationships Light could have end up with terrible dynamics because he is simply using Misa and Takeda to further his goals and doesn't really love them, and in the end they both die for him. Takeda being killed by Light himself, and with Misa it is implied she will commit suicide. All his collegues and friends get betrayed by him as well, and were always disposable to him if need be, he was completely prepared to kill his own investigation team along with N and his team.

He thought he could be God, and as a consequence he ended up being caught, and died completely alone.

So in addition to being a tragedy for the characters the show makes us like, the take away really is that "absolute power corrupts absolutely" as the saying goes.

Fig

The Altruist
Probably doesn't count since it's not finished yet but finished watching Part 1 of Part 6 for JoJo. I was told ahead of times many things were removed and turns out those people haven't seen the anime. There was one thing that was removed but was understandable due to if it was said in 2021, people would find that questionable. 9/10 so far.

Sword Art Online: Ordinal Scale - 6/10

I did not care much for this movie. It had some good animation but a crappy plot. On a side note, it is also quite sad the voice actress for the idol passed away recently.

Sword Art Online Progressive: Aria of a Starless Night - 8/10

This movie pleasantly surprised me. I enjoyed the return to basics and actually fleshing out characters.

Angel Cop - 8/10

Lots of great action and the ending song is fantastic. The story at the end is a bit rushed, though.

The Animatrix - 7/10

These Matrix shorts were quite dark and depressing. Lots of great animation. The story was a little too confusing at times.

Mushoku Tensei Jobless Reincarnation (Second Cour) - 10/10

I love the worldbuilding and the reunions. I love that someone who made mistakes is given a second chance. The animation and music are also amazing. My anime of the year.

Mieruko-chan - 8/10

Love the humor of Miko pretending she doesn't see ghosts while actually being scared ****less.

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime Season 2 Part 2 - 7/10

Way too much dialogue, but the last few episodes deliver on the action.

I believe the most recent one I watched was FLCL Alternative. I feel like I’m a bit in opposite world with the amount of people who prefer it over Progressive…it is just not good. I mean, neither seem as good as the original in the first place, but at least Progressive seemed to have somewhat to do with it than failing at being a good slice of life. Maybe it’s a bit unfair but I guess I’m comparing it to School Live, Lucky Star, and K-on, all excellent shows I watched for my first time in the weeks prior.

Next I think I’ll get Netflix to watch the new season of Jojo, but I may hold off until it’s all finished. But then there’s also this gambling anime a friend suggested, forget what it’s called but the main guy has this huge pointy nose.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Ranking of Kings (first cour) - 10/10

Initially I had overlooked this show due to the apparent goofiness of the character designs and assumed it would just be a gag series about a bunch of weird kings trying to outdo each other. Some friends convinced me to give it a look, and boy, was I wrong. This anime is absolutely not what it appears to be at first glance.

Ranking of Kings is really about the main protagonist, Prince Bojji, attempting to grow into a king that can defend and serve the people, overcoming his deafness, inability to speak, and complete lack of physical strength, as well as the endless onslaught of naysayers. The way this series handles disabilities and strength of character was very grounded and impressive. Not to mention there's a lot of juicy conspiracy plots and drama to go around, with the added bonus of gorgeous animation and music. For as goofy as the characters look, they are all blessed with compelling narratives and entertaining behavior.

Definitely recommend this one a lot. I can't wait for the last 11 episodes.

Yashahime Princess Half-Demon (Season 1) - 7/10

I really enjoyed the main trio in this one, though the action and main villain are nowhere near as good as in Inuyasha. Still, a fun time overall.

One Piece: Defeat the Pirate Ganzack! - 8/10

The only bit of One Piece anime not done by Toei. This is by Production I.G., and the animation is quite good. The story is nothing special, though.

One Piece Movie 1 - 7/10

Again, solid animation, but a forgettable villain this time around.

One Piece Move 2 : Clockwork Island Adventure - 8/10

Loved the story and the animation. Easily the best One Piece movie I've seen so far.

One Piece: Jango's Dance Carnival - 7/10

A fun and whacky short but nothing too special.

One Piece: Episode of East Blue - 8/10

A solid recap of East Blue with rushed pacing but better animation.

One Piece Movie 8: Episode of Alabasta - 8/10

Same as above.

One Piece: Dream Soccer King - 7/10

A pretty funny One Piece soccer short.

One Piece Movie 3: Chopper Kingdom of Strange Animal Island - 6/10

A bland villain and a bland human character make this the worst One Piece movie I've seen so far.

Steins;Gate: The Movie − Load Region of Déjà Vu - 8/10

The animation in this movie is gorgeous. I love the plot too. A lot less action than the second half of the show, though.

Combatants Will Be Dispatched! - 7/10

A pretty good series by the same author as Konosuba. The anime is funny, but some jokes are repeated too much and not all characters get equal screen time.

Vivy Fluorite Eye's Song - 9/10

A beautiful anime with amazing music and amazing fight scenes. Time travel is also done right.

Demon Slayer: Mugen Train Arc - 8/10

I thought the pacing is a little worse than the movie's with some scenes being repeated across two episodes, but the animation is still gorgeous.

One Piece Movie 4: Dead End - 8/10

I like the Amazing Race vibes of this movie, plus the character backstories are pretty cool, and the animation is stellar.

One Piece Movie 5: The Curse of the Sacred Sword - 8/10

The Zoro focus of this movie is appreciated. Again, great animation, but I dislike that Luffy got most of the final fight instead of Zoro.

Blade Runner: Black Lotus - 3/10

The worst anime I've ever had the displeasure of watching. Horrible CGI, horrible story, horrible characters. Only partially redeemed by good action in two episodes.

Horimiya - 9/10

A very wholesome romance anime. I like how Hori and Miyamura open up to each other rather quickly. All of the characters are loveable. Amazing OP and ED too. The end does feel a bit rushed, though.

VikzeLink

The Destructive One
Staff member
Yu-Gi-Oh GX - 6/10

Finished watching this the other day. The last season was never dubbed, so had to watch that one subbed.
Compared to the original Yu-Gi-Oh series it's much more fast paced, but not in a good way. In the original, duels usually lasted 2 episodes and the more important duels for the plot up to 3-5 episodes. In GX almost every duel is finished in the episode it started, with the more important duels being 2 episodes. This sorta removes the whole tension of the plot, as everything gets resolved so quickly.

Another complaint is that the main character, Jaiden, takes the entire focus of the show most of the time; Basically 85% of all duels involve him, while the rest of the characters have to share the remaining %. It even comes to a point where they make one of the characters (Bastion) a joke as someone who's lost all relevance and pretty much write him out of the plot by omitting him. This wouldn't happen in the original, all characters had some sort of relevance, even if it was small at some points.

Last but not least... Filler... The show is filled to the brim with filler episodes. This doesn't make a lot of sense to me, as they then rush through the actual main plots and fail to explain many things or set up things for later, which they could have done instead of all the filler. I'd guess that about 30% of the show (at least) is just filler episodes that serves almost no purpose.

Other than that it's a pretty neat series. Likeable characters (although irrelevant after a while) and still early enough to not be the chaotic hellscape that is modern Yu-Gi-Oh

Hellsing - 6/10

This show starts off strong with some very cool vampire enemies, but then becomes mostly boring filler that's a slog to get through. The final fight is so anti-climactic.

Megane na Kanojo - 6/10

A four episode OVA about people who wear glasses. The episode about the pop idol who wears glasses to disguise her true identity is the best of the bunch.

Mushoku Tensei Jobless Reincarnation Season 1 OVA - 9/10

I enjoyed the spotlight on Eris in this one. She gets some good fights against goblins and humans. The animation at the start and during the battles is brilliant even if this doesn't feel like it contributes much to the main story.

Yona of the Dawn - 7/10

I've been casually watching this one since December and finally got through it. The beginning and end of the show are very strong. Lots of good fights and the opening and ending are good too. But the middle felt like such a slog.

Hellsing Ultimate - 8/10

The animation and fights are so damn good. I do wish it was better explained why a certain character betrayed Hellsing, though. The ending is solid but felt a little rushed.

Jujutsu Kaisen 0 - 9/10

I loved learning about Yuuta and Rika's backstory. It was short but well communicated how tragic it was. The fights are amazing. That said, as I've said for other works today, the ending feels rushed.

One Piece: Episode of Skypeia - 6/10

The most boring arc of One Piece so far gets a special treatment, and that doesn't do it any favors. So many important events from the anime are skipped over or excessively shortened. At least the visuals are good.

One Piece: Adventure in the Ocean's Navel - 7/10

A really good One Piece special with the Straw Hats fighting a skeleton captain who died at the hands of his crew, Quite the unique enemy and premise.

One Piece: Open Upon the Great Sea! A Father's Huge, Huge Dream - 6/10

Sadly, the villain in this one is as boring as boring can be. Luckily, the treasure at the end somewhat makes up for it.

One Piece: Take Aim! The Pirate Baseball King - 6/10

A fun 5 minute baseball special. I had a good time seeing Arlong, Mr. 2, and Buggy return.

One Piece Movie 6: Baron Omatsuri and the Secret Island - 7/10

The change in tone of this movie is jarring but well done. It goes from light-hearted in the first half to so dark it feels like Neon Genesis Evangelion in the second half. The animation is also quite lively and unique.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
Serial Experiments Lain

I swear by about halfway in I would describe it as a 9/10, this show is so good. I did not expect to find something that parallels Xenogears in a lot of ways [psychoanalysis, gnosticism, identity], there's even a scene that really closely resembled a certain scene in Xenogears to a tee. That's just an amazing coincidence though since both came out in 1998.

I haven't seen much psychological thriller shows but this really kept me invested, it ends at 13 episodes and just left me wanting more.

Echolight

❤️ love yourself ❤️
ZD Champion
I finished Death Note today and, well, I'm speechless. That was awesome!!! And chilling. It's one of my top favorites now. And L is too precious. Best anime character so far. <3 Why'd they have to go kill him off??! T-T

I'm a sucker for psychological thrillers and mysteries, so this show was perfect. I loved how slowly throughout the show Light changed. Every episode was suspenseful. Everyday this week it was constantly on my mind. I was so eager to sit down and watch more. I even paused on watching Jujutsu Kaisen, another anime I'm really digging, just to give me more time to watch Death Note. That's how good it was.

I was expecting it to be overrated, but it deserves all the praise it gets. It was unlike any anime I've seen so far.

10/10

Made in Abyss - 10/10

One of the most emotional and beautiful anime I have ever seen. Those last few episodes traumatized me. I now need to watch the canon third movie next.

One Piece Movie 7: The Giant Mechanical Soldier of Karakuri Castle - 6/10

Luffy finding out massive secrets by being dumb gets old and the villains are boring but the secret of the Island partially redeems this movie.

Battle Game in 5 Seconds - 6/10

An okay battle game anime. The CGI is jank when it pops up but at least the two main leads have good chemistry and are rather smart.

Attack on Titan The Final Season Part 2 - 9/10

Amazing start to this part of the season with some great fights, and I love Zeke and Eren exploring the paths. But I feel like the pacing gets worse starting from the Connie episode.

Rage of Bahamut Genesis - 6/10

Some great music and animation can't make up for a rushed ending and incredibly shallow villains.

Lupin III Episode 0 - 8/10

I loved the focus on Jigen since he's my favorite character. It's a nice reflective episode to send off the original Japanese VA.

Shenmue The Animation - 7/10

The most good but not great anime ever. Solid animation, solid story, solid music. It does a good job adapting the first two games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom