• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Rate The Last TV Series That You Watched

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
Japan Sinks 2020

From what I can tell, this anime is super divisive and people seem to either love it or hate it. While its not my number one, I certainly enjoyed the show. I appreciate the animation, even though at times it can be quite ugly, and I like how real the body shapes feel at times. The show also receives a lot of flack for a lull near the beginning before the action really picks up. It has a weird subplot that, while it feels like a weird departure from the disaster happening around the central family, it helps highlight the central themes. The show lost me more towards the end, where it felt like things happened for the sake of tragedy when we have already felt tragedy throughout the rest of the anime. Initially, death was sudden and could happen to anyone, but in the final episodes, death was exclusively a sacrifice. Perhaps there is some meaning there, but I personally don't think there is.

The music is the strongest point of this series. Everything is very ambient and slow, even when earthquakes are tearing buildings down. It's atmospheric and I keep listening to a few songs on Spotify.

7/10

Dizzi

magical internet cat....
ZD Legend
I just finished the last episode of that show last night! It was a bit silly and low budget at times, but all in all a good show. Jenkins is my favorite character for sure!
Ive nearly finished!! I DONTWANT IT TO END!!

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
Prison Break !!

Season 1 - 9.5/10
Season 2 - 8/10
Season 3 - 9/10
Season 4 - 7/10

Fantastic and nostalgic series for me.

Last edited:

Cfrock

Keep it strong
Mindhunter
I loved this. So gripping, so interesting. Draws you in so well. It's sad to think there might never be a third series. Some great performances, and the whole thing is laced with an omnipresent creep factor. Very well made. Would recommend.

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
Emily in Paris - 3/10

Who the HELL greenlit this crap?

I know it's supposed to ba an 'oooh, awkward' kind of show, but it just makes me uncomfortable.

The Haunting of Bly Manor - 2/10

Oh my god, this sucks so much.

The Haunting of Hill House was an effective horror show full of menace that sometimes overstepped the line into hokey territory, but the tone still kept things tense and the show was always able to recover from occasionally pushing things a bit too far...

But this, this! Oh my god!

I don't understand how this is the same team, same writer and cast and production crew. I don't get how Hill House came off so well and this came off so badly. It is so boring and not scary in the slightest.

Any scary scenes that do happen have absolutely no weight because the show has bored you to within in an inch of your life that anything scary that does happen doesn't come off as scary, it just comes off as slightly interesting because at least something is happening.

The pacing is glacial and that doesn't have to be a bad thing but it isn't done well here at all. Things pick up in the second half but by that point you just don't care. The things that happens and the rules of the story of what's happening are bloody ridiculous and convoluted and not worth thinking about.

And oh my god, it reuses so much footage, it repeats scenes so much so often that episodes start running into each other and you can't tell them apart.

The finale is an absolute waste too and may as well not be the same show or story.

There's nothing here of worth here and with the missteps Hill House took, I think Hill House may have been a fluke.

And also all of the cast are American and the show is set in England and everyone has the worst accents. They're so awful.

What a bloody awful show. What a shame.

Last edited:

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
The Haunting of Bly Manor - 2/10

Oh my god, this sucks so much.

The Haunting of Hill House was an effective horror show full of menace that sometimes overstepped the line into hokey territory, but the tone still kept things tense and the show was always able to recover from occasionally pushing things a bit too far...

But this, this! Oh my god!

I don't understand how this is the same team, same writer and cast and production crew. I don't get how Hill House came off so well and this came off so badly. It is so boring and not scary in the slightest.

Any scary scenes that do happen have absolutely no weight because the show has bored you to within in an inch of your life that anything scary that does happen doesn't come off as scary, it just comes off as slightly interesting because at least something is happening.

The pacing is glacial and that doesn't have to be a bad thing but it isn't done well here at all. Things pick up in the second half but by that point you just don't care. The things that happens and the rules of the story of what's happening are bloody ridiculous and convoluted and not worth thinking about.

And oh my god, it reuses so much footage, it repeats scenes so much so often that episodes start running into each other and you can't tell them apart.

The finale is an absolute waste too and may as well not be the same show or story.

There's nothing here of worth here and with the missteps Hill House took, I think Hill House may have been a fluke.

And also all of the cast are American and the show is set in England and everyone has the worst accents. They're so awful.

What a bloody awful show. What a shame.
Just finished this today. And agree with a lot of what you say. This season is perfectly awful. My rating is probably a bit more generous, around the 5/10 mark, because I enjoyed the dramatic elements and the themes of loss, but as far as horror goes, even gothic horror which does tend to be slower with a more psychological aspect, I think this show falls flat. It didn’t grip me as quickly as Hill House did and it never ramps up to the level that I was expecting it to get to. Everything felt overall anticlimactic to the lacklustre build-ups.

I’ve been reading that people think it really picks up in the second half of the season, but once the show starts explaining things in that second half it never stops repeating what it’s already explained. To the point where you wish you could walk, sleep and forget forever.
Once Danielle’s past was revealed, and the fact that Hannah was a (painfully obvious from the start) ghost, I feel like the show fell apart. At that point Jamie and Dani’s blossoming relationship was more interesting than the ghost story unfolding, and agree that that last episode felt really odd and out of place to the rest of the show, but may have also been one of the stronger episodes.

Overall, I feel that the balance between drama and horror was not done as well as it could have been. There were interesting elements that never quite worked within the whole show on the first watch. It’s possible a second viewing with prior knowledge might make for a richer experience, but whether the good aspects are good enough to impel a second viewing is yet to be seen.

American Horror Story: Murder House (season 1) - 7/10

There's a talented cast here but the show itself has a bit of an identity crisis. It can't seem to decide if it wants to be scary, funny or just a melodrama that happens to have ghosts.

The rules of the ghosts are really bizarre and can lead to a lot of confusion just for some cheap and predictable twists.

It is overall a fun show, though.

Last edited:
I just finished Avatar: The Last Airbender a couple of weeks ago. It may very well be the best thing I've seen from television. I'm working through the Legend of Korra right now, and I think it's a wonderful followup to the story and world laid down in Avatar.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
The haunting of Bly Manor 6/10. Mainly because of the kids trying to make it work. The show jumps from scene to scen and it can get confusing if you don't pay fully attention. All those scenes are part of the bigger picture here but to get through them is the real task. The plot is weak in my opinion.

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
Fruits Basket - Seasons 1 and 2 - 9/10

Great series with well-written characters and a nice balance of happier moments and darker ones. Slice-of-life is right up my alley, and Fruits Basket does that really well. It's a slower burn, but I never found any of the episodes to be boring even in the slower parts. Can definitely recommend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom