• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Rate The Last TV Series That You Watched

Mido

Version 1
I just got through all eleven seasons of Frasier for the fourth or fifth time. I absolutely love this show. it's become the 'in thing' to **** on older sitcoms for their formulaic structure and laugh tracks. I've seen videos examining the detrimental effect of laugh tracks on pacing, and I don't deny they make good points. But it doesn't change the fact that the jokes are still hilarious. Frasier might have fewer jokes per episode than Arrested Development or 30 Rock (both exceptionally good shows, go watch them), but the jokes it does have are brilliant.

But Frasier has something a lot of its contemporaries lacked. It has a real commitment to its characters. None of them get Flanderised, a remarkable feat in itself, and there are so many details to the performances and actions that show this is more than just a simple sitcom. Storylines actually carry from episode to episode, the writers were never scared to make big changes to the status quo. Frasier never gets bogged down by the conventions of its time and never gets stale.

I can point to season five of Friends and say that's when it stops being great. I can point to season nine of the The Simpsons and say that's when it started to go downhill. I can't do anything like that with Frasier. It's last season is as good as its first, and each one inbetween. I'll marathon the whole thing again at some point, it's inevitable, and I'll laugh just as much.

10/10

I just got to the last season the other day, so I'll perhaps have to post my own thoughts once I finish. It really is a wonderful show, and while I'm still debating myself on this one, I think it may very well have surpassed Cheers for me (but I'm still conflicted! :eek: ).

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
Chilling Adventures of Sabrina

It wasn't a terrible season overall. I like the over the top gothic atmosphere of the show, but I found the magic itself to be underwhelming when it was used and it was used very scarcely throughout the show. I think the black humour came through less than they wanted it to. It sometimes felt like it wanted to be a comedy-horror, and then at other times it wanted to be a heavy drama and never managed to find a balance between the two, like Buffy, for instance. There were some very clear horror references with shots and plots that mimic films such as Rosemary's Baby, The Exorcist and The Shining (just to name a few) which felt a bit overdone at this point. As for the plot itself, I also thought it had some pacing issues. Some things like the Dark Baptism of episode one and two needed to be gotten to faster, and other things like learning more about Ambrose should have probably taken a bit more time than a throwaway sentence on a first date.

I know this show was based on different source material to the show with Melissa Joan Hart, but it's really hard not to draw comparisons between the two since I grew up with it and own it on DVD. They're clearly both their own thing, but I still think I prefer the other series after watching all of the first part. Overall I didn't hate it, but I didn't really fall in love with it either: 6.5/10. I would still watch part 2 just because I think it looks like it was finally going somewhere towards the end of part 1.

Titans (netflix) 8/10. So far i love it. It's really dark and creepy and the story seems to be build up very well. I'm just 2 eps in and already like it.

"**** Batman"

-----

Doctor Who series 2- 8/10

I was never too amazed by Tennant but after season 8-11 even the trash episode of RTD's reign as showrunner are gold compared.

Last edited:

Mido

Version 1
Frasier - A+

tenor.gif

I don't believe that I have the words to describe how much I enjoyed the ride right now. Cheers definitely added the extra icing to the Frasier cake, but the show itself was marvelous to keep it short. :goron:

toonlink

Most Active Inactive User
Violet Evergarden. Sad, but optimistic anime about life after war. It made me cry, especially that episode with the little girl. This anime is KyoAni, and it really shows. It looks beautiful, the landscapes are great and character designs are appealing and colorful. The stories are mostly well written, and dialogue is carried wonderfully with the voice acting. Erika Harlacher is great as Violet, and her emotional moments are really great. That said, it's a slower anime, with a greater focus on characters in the world, rather than a big arc. Gave me a vibe similar to Makoto Shinkai's films, but stretched to a whole series. 9/10

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
Queer as Folk (UK).

This is the second time around that I've seen this series and I still think this is one show that the US remake managed to do better. I think the show's story moves a little too quickly overall, but it leaves room for some decent character development. I remember when this show was a hot topic of controversy and by comparison to other things, it's actually quite tame by today's standards. I feel most of the things the UK version does well is expanded upon and was almost perfected by its US counterpart and I'll always prefer the Brian/Michael/Justin triangle over the Stuart/Vince/Nathan one. Definitely a solid 7/10 though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom