• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Rate the Last Movie That You Watched

LilyPadGeek

Some Weird Person
I just watched X-Men again last night. The first one to be exact. Hugh Jackman seemed like he was still getting into the role of Wolverine, so 9/10 :P

Antz. I remember seeing this movie once back in middle school years ago, but back then, I'd never cared about it because I thought it was a rip-off of A Bug's Life. Watching it now, it was an alright movie. It's not a huge rip-off of A Bug's Life, but it does share some similar things like the main characters being ants, for example. Overall, it's a good movie, but I like A Bug's Life more. 7/10.

Sir Quaffler

May we meet again
I've seen it once before, but I rented it again and am watching it again for a second time in a row tonight because I love this movie so much.

Frozen. 9.5/10

Disney has gotten REALLY good these past few years, and this is yet another stellar entry. Fantastic animation, very catchy music (Bees will buzz, kids will blow dandelion fuzz, and I'll be doing whatever snow does IN SUMMER!!!), awesome characters (Olaf the Snowman is my favorite, which is weird because before I saw the movie I thought he was just gonna be stupid), it's got it all.

Best of all, though, I really, really like the underlying message of the movie about love. In older Disney movies it would always just be "True love is a kiss from the man of your dreams!" and this movie plays around with and ultimately debunks this trope. Instead of the romantic love between a man and a woman that they've always enforced (at least in the classic movies), they are extolling the love between family members (storge) and more importantly the kind of love that gives without thought of reward and that makes sacrifices for those that matter to them (agape).

Last edited:

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug. Watched it for the third time. I give it a solid 9/10. It would get a 10/10 if it had shown more of a battle between Gandalf and Sauron. What can I say...I like it when Maiar throw down.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Captain America: The Winter Soldier

9th movie in the Marvel film series and it doesn't seem to be slowing down at all! Loved it. I really like Captain America as a hero, and I thought he was well written. I thought one of the plot-twists in the movie was quite generic and not very creative but that's just one marring speck, I thought the entire film was exciting and very well done! Was an interesting story-line and big twist I didn't see coming and is going to have a big effect on the Marvel world. Although I wish the movies would clash a little more; like, they were struggling to work out something and I was sat there thinking "Call Tony Stark, he'll figure it out!" :P

Definitely give it a 9/10. Type of movie I just want to watch again as soon as it's over!

Fig

The Altruist
The Amazing Spider-man 2 was very enjoyable and I must say that I enjoyed that kept to the source material and there was much more development than the first Amazing Spider-man movie. I really do encourage everyone to take the time to watch this amazing film. There's so much that I would like to say about the film, but I don't want to spoil too many details as there were many sections of the movie that I really loved seeing. Amazing Spider-man 2 gets a 9/10! ^^

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Because of the amazing special effects, great acting, decent character development, and OK score, I would normally give this film an 8-8.5/10. However, because I felt like the ending was rushed and kind of unnecessary, not to mention the complete lack of a post credits scene (save for a trailer to a movie that has nothing at all to do with the Spider-Man Universe)--something that has become a staple of modern superhero movies--I must drop it down to a 7.5. Don't get me wrong, as I loved this film; I just really didn't like the ending, which kind of ruined the film for me.

Last edited:

Stitch

AKA Patrick
ZD Champion
The Amazing Spider-Man 2

It was an overall decent movie, it got around to finishing up story that should have been shown in the prior film. Once again they botched up the ending, because for some reason they refuse to leave it with a sad ending and they just shove a happy ending in from out of nowhere. The acting was fine, although Harry Osborn was rushed af and should have been introduced in the first film. I won't even mention Paul Giamatti's role in this movie, since it's nearly non-existent:dry:. The tone of the film was a bit inconsistent, the whole "Here Comes a Spider" scene just shouldn't have been there, that joke was already used in the first film of the Raimi trilogy anyway. In the end it was an entertaining movie, so I shall be nice to it.

7/10

Last edited:

Garo

Boy Wonder
Godzilla.

Gareth Edwards is an accomplished director, but here he restrains himself from fully indulging in the absurd premise of his film. He buys into the (false) critical narrative that a human character is a necessary anchor for a film like this, and spends much of his time chronicling the adventure of a single, wholly uninteresting man (Aaron Taylor-Johnson, who gives a dreadful performance). But those moments when he abandons Taylor-Johnson's single-facial-expression in favor of full out kaiju action are absolutely engrossing. They indulge in the best ways possible, giving exactly what the audience wants in exactly the right amounts. It's just too bogged down in unnecessary, self-serious filler to be as effective as possible.

This film was already done last year, and far better, in Guillermo del Toro's self-aware Pacific Rim.

C.

Godzilla

Let me begin by saying that the first third of this movie is pretty slow. It's not a bad slow, it just drags on a little bit. The movie gets more interesting after the MUTOs and Godzilla show up, but I think it's worth the wait. While the human storyline is somewhat cliche and bland, it picks up towards the end. The monster fights make up for almost every nitpick I had with this movie.

9/10

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Godzilla

I don't know what I was expecting tbh, so I can't say whether this film met my expectations or not...

I will start by listing some of the many things this film did wrong.
First off, up until around midway through, it is extremely slow paced which, though not a bad thing necessarily, since it was effectively slow, but it was kind of a distraction from the thought of it really being an action movie. Sure, the male MUTO showed up and started wreaking havoc on Japan, but then not much really happened for another while. And then Godzilla just shows up out of nowhere; no prior sign that he had awoken yet.
As a whole, the acting could have been better. The supporting cast was good, but the main character (Aaron Taylor-Johnson) did not make a very good performance, which drastically lowered the overall quality of the film, and posed as a distraction, because I was too focused on him and not everything else that was going on--though, to be fair, there wasn't a whole lot to pay attention to throughout the first hour or so of the film.
Oh ya, and let's not forget the "hero gets saved just in the nick of time" cliche...

So what did this film do right?
Well, for one thing, the action scenes were phenomenal! Very well done, especially the beautiful long Godzilla-MUTO fight at the end. They actually had me standing on the edge of my seat throughout most of them, which is a little bit of a rarity for me. They gave me chills. I was genuinely impressed.
Introducing another threat. Most of the other Godzilla films portray Godzilla as simply a monster that feeds on destruction. This film changed that direction, by making Godzilla the secondary threat, and partial hero. Instead of just stepping on buildings and throwing stuff, he actually had to fend for his life, and the film created a new version of Godzilla that I think most people can feel sympathetic towards. This was a good move for sure.

I know I missed stuff, but what I listed is what seemed the most significant.

Overall, it was not a bad film, despite the criticism. In all fairness, I will give it a 7.2/10.

EDIT: I think I should also give it some praise on its score. I am familiar with Alexandre Desplat's work from the final two films in the Harry Potter series, so I know what kind of a composer he is. I was not disappointed this time around.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom