• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Rate the Last Movie That You Watched

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
The Host

Decent plot, less cringeworthy than the Twilight Saga, and I was almost invested in the characters but they seemed far too unreal to me. Pacing was nice. But, the moral of the story seemed to be "if you're a nice person, your life will end up nice" which...is kinda jarring.

Still, I applaud Meyer for not having a totally craptastic movie. :yes:

8/10

Ganondork

goo
Well, I recently saw "The Man of Steel." To put it simply, I really loved it. The flashbacks were a really good device to use. I also loved Hans Zimmer's compositions as usual.

If I had to complain about anything, it'd be the overuse of fight scenes. It felt like the moment he was about to beat someone, another person would come and start attacking him. That aspect of the movie got old pretty fast.

Other than that one nitpick, I don't know why everyone seems to dislike it so much. I thought it was the best Superman movie to date.

8/10

TL;DR my reaction vs. other people's reactions to Man of Steel.

3AoIm.gif

DarkLink17

Well then
The Host

Decent plot, less cringeworthy than the Twilight Saga, and I was almost invested in the characters but they seemed far too unreal to me. Pacing was nice. But, the moral of the story seemed to be "if you're a nice person, your life will end up nice" which...is kinda jarring.

Still, I applaud Meyer for not having a totally craptastic movie. :yes:

8/10

Just saw the same movie last night, I thought is was going to be as bad as Twilight. It wasn't so bad though, I got past my skepticism about halfway through and finally started to enjoy the story a bit.

Garo

Boy Wonder
Man of Steel. One star out of four.

While there is a lot that I could say about this movie - very, very little of it positive - perhaps the biggest thing I have to say can be summed up rather simply as: "Why should I care?" The movie utterly failed on a number of levels, but most egregiously it failed to make me care about the characters. When a film fails to make me care about a 75 year old American icon that I have a significant personal history with, that's a HUGE red flag. But ultimately, for all their attempts to create some sort of inner conflict regarding the dueling desires to save people and remain anonymous, Clark jumped in immediately at every opportunity to save people - EXCEPT for the one time that somebody close to him was in danger, and his inaction there led to a death that was completely needless and absurd - and diluted that conflict to something that was only ever talked about, not shown or felt. Lois appears to just fall in love at the drop of a hat, as there was never really much development of their relationship. Why exactly were Perry White and the other journalists in this movie? Why should I have cared about them, especially the inexplicably gender-swapped Jenny, rather than Jimmy, Olsen?

So yes. Awful film, because for all its visual panache, it never bothered to make me care about its characters. If you'd like to read a more strongly worded and in-depth analysis (strongly worded meaning VULGAR), check out FILM CRIT HULK's analysis.

Blue Canary

Your Friendly Neighborhood S***poster
The last movie I watched was "The Man From Earth" and I only watched like the first 20 minutes. The last full movie I watched was Iron Man 3, and I think I'd give it a 7/10.

Monsters University: Heartwarming and funny, lives up to the original - * * * 1/2

World War Z: Enjoyable action but nothing special - * * 1/2 *

This Is the End: Hilarious - * * * *

Superbad: Hilarious - * * * *

Pineapple Express: Pretty funny - * * * *

Pacific Rim: Awesome action and intriguing characters - * * * 1/2

Last edited:

Zorth

#Scoundrel
I watched Donnie Brasco a few nights ago, hadn't seen it in forever. Great movie, great plot and great acting. Really nice to see a mobster movie with a little twist like this one had, makes you wonder what you had done if you were in this guy's shoes. 5/5 Recommend it to anyone who enjoys Crime/Mob films.

The last movie I watched was "The Man From Earth" and I only watched like the first 20 minutes.

THAT WAS AN AWESOME MOVIE!!

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
Pacific Rim 4/10.

The characters were cliche with absolutely no development and the main character was too perfect. I mean it is not physically possible for him to make a mistake! This and the lack of reason in the entire world was just ridiculous and every fives seconds we saw the blur of a cgi fight against monsters.

Din Akera

Sniper
WARNING! CONTAINS MATURE CONENT!

No spoilers that you wouldn't see in the trailer.

Okay, so has anyone seen this movie, if so please give me your opinion. Last night Rish and I watched Splice. For anyone who hasn't seen it, go to youtube and watch the trailer cause it is a crazy looking trailer, and also the reason I bought the movie.

For anyone who hasn't seen it or can't watch the trailer it is a movie about a geneticist couple who are genetically engineering new life forms. They are being pushed by their funders to produce a specific protein to be used in the medical field, but they can't quite get it right. So because they need this protein and because they are curious and want to they add human DNA to the mix and create a life form that is only partly human. From there the movie as about its growth and the social/ethical/political and emotional problems they have created by making this creature. Also it kinda gets out of hand and they try to add a minor horror aspect to it.

Now. As a science person my mind was running 50 different directions at once with all the concepts and problems they were presenting as well as the science. I really enjoyed that aspect of it. However, they threw in a number of things I didn't believe needed to be in the movie to make their point. IF YOU HAVE YOUNG AND SENSITIVE MINDS AND EYES...READ NO MORE! There was a large element of intercourse and rape in the movie that I feel really had no place in the movie. It almost felt as though they added it because the movie was rated R anyway, so why not do it. Also, the general ending of the plot was kind of a flop. They had this great build and development of all these issues and then it kind of just fizzled out. With this horror aspect that came from nowhere.

I would recommend it to anyone with a strong stomach that likes ethics of science, but as a stand alone movie I thought it was really average. Three and a half stars.

EDIT: Oh, I see we are doing out of 10. soo.... 6/10 As an overall movie. As a science movie 7/10

Garo

Boy Wonder
Pacific Rim. Four out of four stars.

I could tear this movie to shreds for many reasons: an often absurd plot, flat characters, shoddy pacing, blatant Chekhov's Guns making the plot kitschy and predictable at every turn... But I don't want to. Because the truth is, I enjoyed this film on a profound level. It's rather clear in the way director Guillermo del Toro presents everything in this film that he is writing a massive love letter to kaiju films - that long forgotten but much beloved genre - and what a lovely letter it is. Just absolutely fun at every end, with inspired action setpieces and a consistent sense of humor. Wonderful.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Robot & Frank - 3/5 stars

Biggest problem this film had was that the music was almost always opposite of the mood. Music said it wanted to be serious, but what I saw was comedic action. It was still great, though. :yes:

White House Down: Very fun film. Everyone in it was great, especially Jamie Foxx. The plot was surprisingly complex, which I enjoyed. - * * * 1/2

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom