• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Rate the Last Movie That You Watched

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
The previous Zilla film was great, but this one has it beat by miles.
If by great you mean the last 15 minutes of the first film, then sure, that bit was awesome. But I found the rest of it disappointing since I went in to watch Godzilla wreck buildings with his tail and throw down some other monsters, not an overextended army mission. From the sound of it, King of Monsters finally got that right though.

---

The Last Samurai - 9/10
There's a certain lack of good portrayals of olden Japanese culture and the way of the sword, Bushido, but The Last Samurai remains one of the best out there. While it plays with familiar tropes such as a stranger going up against a foreign threat (think Last of the Mohicans or Braveheart), Algren's life in the village after being taken captive as is memorable as he immerses himself in the ways of his "enemy" and becomes like them. Eventually he becomes good enough to take part in fighting the rising threat of the West. The battles seem to take some welcome inspiration from LotR where everything slows down and you can see the impact of the violence on the rebels' faces. This sort of meticulous, thoughtful cinematography is far more impactful than action bits flying right past your face. Definitely an underrated masterpiece that still holds up today.

Sonic - 7/10

The opening sequence is a bit random and some of the memes are too forced but it's a surprisingly wholesome movie carried by Sonic and Jim Carrey as Dr. Robotnik with a great credits sequence paying homage to the Genesis games. I would recommend it to any fan.

Reactions: Dio

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Sonic - 7/10

A decent watch. Doesn't tread any new ground in terms of cinema and a couple of sequences remind me of other movies but it's fun overall anyway and it's great to see Jim Carrey back on form as Dr Robotnik. He was my favourite part of the movie.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters - 6/10

I feel like I'm being very generous too. I think a main criticism after the first film was that the movie didn't follow the book verbatim. This film corrects this, but it doesn't work out well, especially because despite staying true to the source, it's conclusion doesn't follow the book at all, and unfortunately ruins the chance to even have a sequel (despite there being plans for one iirc).

In the previous film, there was romance between the two characters of Annabeth and Percy, this sequel never even touches on that arc progression; granted in the books the romance between them was drawn out and never fully realized until the final book. While it has decent dialogue for the most part, there where points where Lerman's performance came off as insincere to me.

In contrast, the special effects and choregraphy are a pleasent spectacle, and are the best aspects the movie has to offer.

I was also disappointed in the lack of A-list actors playing gods, it helped the first film out and may have helped this one out as well. I preferred Pierce Brosnan in the role of Chiron, the new actor isn't bad, but he lacks the same commanding delivery and sense of tutorship as Pierce achieved in the role. I did like Stanley Tucci as Dionysus, though.

Overall, this sequel falls short in comparison to it's predeccesor. Percy Jackson and The Lightning Thief was an all around fun film, I think because it was campy in ways but it really embraced that. This sequel maintains a campy vibe to me, but tries shrugging it off in a failed attempt to be serious.

Pokemon: Mewtwo Strikes Back Evolution - 2/10

I love the original Pokemon The First Movie, but this CGI remake is bloody terrible.

It isn't just that the CGI looks bloody terrible, the reworked script is absolutely atrocious and borders on the nonsensical.

It has no subtlety at all, it feels like I'm being talked down to and then hit with a stupid stick.

The score is abysmal too and holds no emotional weight at all (and most of the time there just isn't any).

What an absolute waste of time and money... It is certainly in keeping with recent Pokemon products in that respect.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
The Foreigner

Jackie Chan and Pierce Brosnan at their finest

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
Knives Out 7/10

I went into this hoping we'd get a classic "whodunnit" mystery based on the trailers, but this isn't really what we got. But it still was at the same time? I enjoyed the concepts of the whodunnit and the cat&mouse plotline kind of happening in the movie, but I thought the mystery was a bit too obvious. The movie doesn't attempt to give you any red herrings, so once you realize there's a mystery it's kind of obvious and underwhelming.
Also, the movie has a major plot hole in explaining how Fran died. A major part of the conflict is the 10 minutes it takes for a morphine overdose to kill you but Fran survived for a whole 2 hours? I was expecting them to reveal that Chris Evans had an accomplice here but nah, it's just a plot hole.
Other than the "mystery", I enjoyed the casting of this movie. The family and their quirky dynamic was fun to watch. I wish the family was more central to the conflict aside from being barely more than a backdrop. Jamie Lee Curtis, Toni Collette, and Michael Shannon were definitely my favorites to watch.

Princess Mononoke - 10/10

My all time favourite ghibli film and now pretty much BotW the movie.

I actually wished that Zelda in BotW, before she was revealed would have been like San. A wild girl living off the land and being one with nature and the spirits having lost her throne to Ganon.

Maybe next time.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Pokemon - Mewtwo strikes back evolution. 10/10. I have seen the first one and I loved it. I saw this one and I still love it. Story never gets old and come on it's Mewtwo :D Nothing can go wrong with that one now can it? I do enjoy the pokemon movies more than most cinema flicks :D
CGI was horrible but I love the movie too much to give it lower rates

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom