• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Rate the Last Movie That You Watched

Cfrock

Keep it strong
The Joker

A big eeehhh/10 from me, buddy. It feels like it's trying too hard to be a 'serious' film about 'issues'. I wouldn't say it's bad, necessarily, but you're missing exactly nothing if you skip it.

toonlink

Most Active Inactive User
Joker 8.5/10 - Well made movie, it's compelling to watch if you like feel-bad movies. This film tries really hard to make you uncomfortable, and it usually succeeds. It looks pretty great, mise en scene and cinematography is real pretty. Sound design is pretty good too, it really throws you into the movie. Gotham's streets are loud and irritating, and gives me the same awful feeling that I get when I walk around New York or LA. Acting is solid, Joaquin Phoenix did a great job getting into his role, although to be honest no other performances stand out. I think it's pretty heavy-handed in its message, but the movie is so well crafted it's not really distracting.
Perfect Blue 10/10 - Second time watching, and it still stands as the greatest animated film I've ever watched. It uses visuals to convey so much subtle emotion--color saturation, composition, animation--it all is used masterfully to tell the story of someone's steady fall to ruin. The scenes change suddenly, and it disorients the viewer, putting them in the shoes of the protagonist. The soundtrack is great, and although I can't say much about voice acting because I don't speak Japanese well enough to judge someone's vocal performance, I can say that the VAs fit the characters. Overall, the movie is a great thriller, deeply compelling and beautiful.

toonlink

Most Active Inactive User
Gundam Narrative - 6/10
Narrative is a confusing blur of a movie. It has plenty of interesting concepts and scenes, but it's bogged down by a rushed, sloppy script. The movie has far too much going on, and suffers from assuming that the viewer knows all the lore already, which was kind of a problem with its predecessor, Gundam Unicorn, but Unicorn had the courtesy to sprinkle in explanations of the long 20 year history between the first Gundam and itself. I was watching this one with my girlfriend, and I had to explain what was going on because there was not even a slight explanation as to what was happening and what they were talking about. Despite my efforts, she still was confused by the end. The visuals are pretty though, and the fight scenes are entertaining, though nothing in this movie is as polished as anything from Gundam Unicorn.

I feel like this movie could've been great if it was stretched out over a couple movies. Originally, this was a single novel in series, like the rest of the Gundam Unicorn movies, but they've changed and expanded on so much that it feels like it would've been almost 3 novels if it had been written based on the movie script.

Gundam Unicorn #7: Over the Rainbow - 9/10
A wonderful conclusion to Gundam Unicorn's movie series. The visuals are splendid--kind of simple when put next to newer Gundam works, but the animation is so fluid and expressive. The story is well paced, basically the climax of a story, but with its own rising action, climax, resolution, etc. The dialogue is great, if a bit dramatic. Everyone often speaks in speeches or soliloquy, but it fits so well and the voice acting is so good (both ENG and JPN) I didn't mind it at all. Overall, the Gundam Unicorn series in general is great for long-time fans and newcomers who like jumping into the deep end of a lore-filled universe.

Joker - 7/10

Not a bad movie at all but it isn't the second coming that people seem to think it is.
It was well made and well acted, but it cheated the narrative quite a few times and diluted the message the story was going for.

I won't go into it because spoilers but some decisions made were pretty disappointing.

Eli on Netflix - 8/10. Difficult to write much without spoilering it but good twist at the end that I didnt see coming. Also got to say that, even with her small role in the film, I do feel that the red head girl from stranger things is a really good actress with a promising future ahead

The Laundromat

Not particularly coherent and pretty flat overall. For the amount of talent on screen, this is definitely a disappointment, felt like it was trying to be The Big Short in places but it didn't do a particularly good job at explaining things either.

6/10

I watched this mad 1980s movie called Miracle Mile.

It's about a guy who answers a wrong number call and is told that a nuke is heading for the city.
The film begins as a romcom but then turns into a real time panic-fest and has a rather brave ending.

It is complete cheese but it kept me kind of invested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom