• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Rate the Last Movie That You Watched

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Kingsmen 2

It's good. But come on, nothing's gonna top the Freebird church brawl from the first movie :ham:

The Statesmen concept is pretty cool. Some of the casting direction in this movie is... questionable. They get Channing Tatum and use him like once. His character is literally throw away. The Statesman agent they partner with I was certain was Kurt Russel... it is not. I was disappoint. You cannot possibly go wrong casting Jeff Bridges in literally anything, but they don't do hardly anything with him here. No fight scenes, hardly any screen time. But of course Jeff Bridges is super cool even when he's bumming around a board room in only a couple of scenes.

Halle Berry isn't a total loss, but anyone can do better than to cast Halle Berry. Her character doesn't really do much.

Mark Strong still continues to absolutely KILL IT as Kingsmen handler Merlin and Colin Firth makes a totally legit return and is almost as good as before. Taron Egerton as Kingsman super spy Eggsy is still rivaling James Bond for best old school secret agent.

Julianne Moore as the villain... I might have gone a different way. She's basically the Kathy Bate's form of creepy psycho chick from Misery, so.... I would have gone with Kathy Bates. But Moore more than suffices. She definitely does not compare to Sam Jackson's Valentine from the first one.

The story premise is predictably dark and morbid, like the last one with exploding heads except this time it's waking paralysis and death by brain hemorrhaging out your eyes. The story is also rather inherently stupid at times, instead of superficially stupid as it's supposed to be. The narrative also takes a lot of useless turns and the story is also lacking in any of the relevant themes from the first movie. This makes Kingsmen 2 a lot like Guardian's of the Galaxy 2, except Kingsmen is still better written and better executed and more enjoyable.

The action is still top notch though and set to some invigorating musical numbers. Elton John is here because... Elton John? I don't think he understood that the movie is making fun of him, but this is Elton John. He can't act for $h!t but his presence in the movie isn't completely wasted. I guess it's just too bad David Bowie isn't available.

While being far better executed than most movies as of late, like every other sequel I've seen recently Kingsmen 2 was fun while it lasted but I already can't really recall any stand out moment since I left the theater with the exception of that one spoiler that happened.

Draymorath

Destroyer of Destruction
Blade Runner 2049

I haven't seen the original Blade Runner, but I'd heard that you didn't really need to for this film. And by God, am I planning on watching the original now.
This movie was utterly fantastic and is the first big-budget Hollywood film I've seen in a very long time that does not rely on flashy action sequences and common tropes, or otherwise try to appeal to the lowest common denominator. It tries to be unique and interesting and it definitely succeeds at it. I saw a number of people on social media complaining about the slow pacing, which is completely unfair as it uses that pacing to great atmospheric effect. The film features phenomenal visuals and cinematography and stellar performances from the actors. It was plenty thoughtful without being too in your face about it.

They also released a few shorts prior to the movie's debut that feature events connected to the main storyline of the film that you can watch for free on Youtube, including an anime-style short from the director of Cowboy Bebop, Shinichiro Watanabe.

Honestly I cannot stress enough that you should go see this movie if you are able. This is definitely the kind of thing that Hollywood needs to see can be successful, and so far the ticket sales seem to be sadly lacking.

I'm gonna give it like a 9/10, but sorta want to give it a 10/10.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
The Death of Stalin

Go and see this movie. It's one of the best comedies I've seen in years. I was genuinely punching my knee at one point. It's so goddamn funny, and Jason Isaacs is amazing in it.

Jesus Christ but that was a good movie. Seriously. Go watch it.

9/10

The Death of Stalin

Go and see this movie. It's one of the best comedies I've seen in years. I was genuinely punching my knee at one point. It's so goddamn funny, and Jason Isaacs is amazing in it.

Jesus Christ but that was a good movie. Seriously. Go watch it.

9/10

The Death of Stalin

I did not expect a title like that to be followed with 'its so goddamn funny'

I do like me some Jason Isaacs though.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Justice League 9/10

A decent follow-up to the choppy 2015 film, Justice League's story and cast are more down to Earth and the humor is tolerable with some nice throwbacks added in. Although a certain circumstance around the 3/4 marker left something to be desired, each character received ample growth that the follow up movies will hopefully flesh out even more.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
I saw Blade Runner 2049 recently, and it was good, but just too long.

A few hours ago I finished watching: "Get Out", a movie about an African American guy who goes with his girlfriend to see his girlfriend's parents, only to learn that things are WEIRD. WEIRD WEIRD. It reminded me of Wayward Pines, a great T.V Show (At least the first season).

10/10 it was a great movie, even with it being out of your mind WEIRD

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Saw Justice League last night and I thought it was great. I honestly don't know why this is even getting sh*t on so much, meanwhile, crap like Spider-Man Homecoming and Thor Ragnarok is praised beyond belief. People made this movie out to be such a huge mess of a film that my expectations were seriously low and I was just waiting and waiting for those sh*tty moments to take me out of the film and it never happened.

I've seen people sh*t on Steppenwolf for being a terrible villain and while he's rather forgettable, he serves his purpose well. Steppenwolf isn't the reason to watch this film nor did I expect him to be such a compelling villain. At least he wasn't non-threatening like Loki in the first Avengers film or making dumb jokes like Ultron. He gave the League someone to fight and they delivered on that perfectly.

The CGI was also talked about quite a lot as being all over the place and questionable for a big budget film, yet it looks just like any other CGI heavy superhero movie. Yeah, there were a couple of shots where you can tell Henry Cavill's upper lip is off, there were also two obvious use of green screen during two separate Aquaman close-ups, and Steppenwolf is definitely not the best looking CGI character, but is any of this new or specific to this film? Not trying to make excuses for the film's shortcomings, but why exactly do I only see people ***** about these things when it appears in a DC film but never any Marvel film? It’s like when it happens in a DC film, the problem gets so damn amplified but during a Marvel film, it gets glossed over.

As much as I would have loved to see a longer version of the film, what I saw was satisfactory. It got to the point, it made sense, and told a linear and cohesive story without any boring and drawn out subplots. My only real gripe so far is a huge inconsistency regarding Superman.

At the end of BvS, we clearly see the dirt on his grave about to rise as if he’s about to fly out of his coffin, yet in this movie, he’s definitely dead and needs to be resurrected? What the f*ck happened? Superman’s characterization was also really forced. They keep talking about how Superman was a beacon and when he comes back, he’s so happy and 100% Superman-like, and it’s so unearned. BvS showed us that the world was split on Superman so while he was a beacon to a lot of people, he was also hated by a lot as well. This was a huge conflict for Superman on both sides and it never got truly resolved. On one hand, he’s hated and doesn’t understand the backlash, then he’s worshipped and looks to be unhappy with that too, and then he’s horrified by all the terrible situations he’s put in and suddenly we’re shown this side of him in the opening that we’ve never seen before? Are we just supposed to accept that he was always this guy despite never having been shown this in previous movies? It felt too much like a course correction and not a natural development.

With that said, I still enjoyed him in the film very much. It was refreshing to see him actually act like Superman and his fight with the League had to be my favorite part of the whole movie. Just the way he was destroying them and not weak for once like in the cartoons was so damn epic. Especially that moment where he spots the Flash running and you can feel Barry’s fear

The team dynamic in this film was just spot on. Each character had their moment with each member in the team and had great chemistry with each other. That alone makes Justice League a success for me because I want to see more of these characters. I want to see them in more movies together and be as entertaining as they were here.

In all honesty, I like this better than any of the Avengers films. The Justice League has just always been a better team with a better cast of characters, and seeing them on film for the first time and done this well, means more to me than seeing a bunch of B characters get together on screen. Not to mention, like Wonder Woman, the humor was balanced a lot better than most of Marvel’s flicks and like Man of Steel and BvS, there are lots of great moments and spectacular looking shots, which I’ve always felt DC did better than Marvel. The shorter length of the movie and it’s easy to follow story also make it a great rewatch, which I will definitely be doing. With that said however, it’s by no means a perfect movie. It has plenty of flaws and may not even be a better movie than something like Wonder Woman or The Avengers on a technical level, but I sure as hell enjoyed my time with it greatly.

8.9/10

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Thor: Ragnarok was decent. Not as great as Civil War or Doctor Strange, but still a solid Marvel flick. I liked the new direction they were taking some of the characters, and Hela was a great villain. Mark Ruffalo is bae as usual.

8/10

Justice League was a nice surprise. I went in with low hopes, and would't you know, I actually enjoyed it. I still think Wonder Woman was better, but Justice League was definitely better than any of the previous DC movies, especially considering the disaster that was Batman v. Superman. I really liked the characters a lot more than I thought I would, especially Aquaman, although Ezra Miller's Flash steals the show for me.

One thing that disappointed me was the lack of any real great Batman scenes. Batman V. Superman gave us some of the best Batman action scenes we've seen yet on film, but this movie was sadly lacking of them. It also suffers from being inconsistent in its direction, although I think I can forgive that considering the circumstances surround Zac Snyder's departure. It's also too short, but that's the studio's fault since they wanted it under two hours. Another half hour and this movie could've been a near masterpiece.

7.5/10

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
DOOM (The Movie based off of the game starring The Rock)

Horrible. Absolutely horrible. Watch it just so you can know how bad it is.

4/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom