• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Rate the Last Movie That You Watched

Rumble in the Bronx...

Top tier.. Jackie Chan.. and just everyone involved it was great.

Even though the Jackie Chan movies that are old are pretty old at this point they survived like everything else basically from the 90s. 80s etc.

Bewitched
iu
Ahem anyway like 9.5/10 as far as I'm concerned just great all around.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
Solo: A Star Wars Story - 74/100

Much better than I was expecting. I'm entirely biased regarding the Disney Star Wars movies as I've been a fan since before birth. As such, my main complaint with the mainline Disney Star Wars movies has been the Marvelfication of the series. This encompasses things like casting choices, filming techniques, editing shenanigans, pacing, type-cast directors, and especially the forced humor.

Both The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi suffered greatly from Marvelfication as did Rogue One to a lesser degree. Solo, on the other hand, seems to have taken several steps away from the ever-deepening Marvel rut. It wasn't able to completely climb out of this box-canyon, but there were several occasions where I was pleasantly surprised at the lack of a cheap joke undercutting an otherwise straight situation.

These moments of near-subtlety were, of course, quickly forgotten in a haze of Disney cash-grabbing, false sincerity, pandering, awkward editing, nostalgia crippling, unnecessary devices, and propaganda aimed at children. As bad as that sounds, however, it simply wasn't as bad as it so easily could have been. One moment of subtlety that I really appreciated was a penultimate moment when Han blatantly shot first but nothing was said about it, no joke undercut it. For a franchise that now entirely embraces subverting expectations for the sake of subverting expectations, this movie subverted my expectations that this would feel like a Marvel movie.

The tone shifted abruptly at times but it didn't draw me out of the movie too often at first viewing. There seemed to be a battle (as opposed to a harmony) between the feeling of a buddy comedy and a western, each of which had their moments but didn't mesh very well. That, and the cadence of a racing movie was present at the beginning of the movie but never returned.

The score was fitting for the movie and entirely unremarkable. Imagine something like the soundtrack for The Shawshank Redemption: taking nothing away from the movie, but you're a weirdo if you track down the OST and blast it in a Wal-Mart parking lot.

I was annoyed by a very specific scene that I already pointed out in the thread about Solo so I won't go over it in detail here. Be aware though that the poor treatment of Chewbacca I mentioned in that post about that single scene from the TV spot was really the only poor treatment of Chewie I noticed in the movie, it was mostly very positive. Except the eating people. Honor is priority #1 for wookies and I don't think Chewbacca would ever eat a sapient being.

Qi' Ra showing up on Voss' ship as soon as Han got there was cringe inducing. I thought for over a minute that it was going to be a figment of Han's imagination but nope, she actually just happened to be there. Of the 50 million inhabited star systems, many with multiple inhabited planets, each planet containing possibly billions of sapient beings, she just happens to show up on this obscure planet in the exact same place and time as Han. I know "the Force" but it took me way, way out of the movie for a while. That and Maul, but...meh, I didn't hate that.

L3. She's going to get a lot of hate. A lot of people were already peeved that Kasdan Jr. decided to use his position in the movie as a soap box for promoting his sexuality but this droid is a joke. I like the design for the most part and she had a few lines that didn't feel contrived but elsewise, the droid was the embodiment of so much of what is wrong with what is being forced on Star Wars under Disney. There's almost no hint of the pansexuality claimed of Lando so that ended up being entirely the hubris of a creator imposed on the world of another without adding anything to the source material.

L3, therefore, ends up being Kasdan Jr. himself, imposing themselves on the rest of the world. Pushing pansexuality on a character established over the course of 30 years, wedging civil rights into the gap between the audience and the fantasy, projecting feminism in a shameful and tasteless manner. L3 is, unfortunately, a disservice to the film, a ham-fisted attempt to cram as much SJW propaganda as possible down the throats of the audience. This thing made me embarrassed as a fan.

Lando, on the other hand, was great. Not used to his full potential, but not ruined as a character by any means. Aaaand, that's really all I have to say about him, I hope there's another Han Solo movie and that he's Lando in it.

Loved Woody Harrelson back in the day but I actually would have preferred a different actor for the part. He's never a bad performer but he is always himself and I would have preferred a character actor to a personality act. I didn't hate him but his acting was obviously phoned in.

Alden Ehrenreich is not Harrison Ford. "Thanks for the update, Captain Obvious!" But seriously, we all knew that going in. As I wasn't expecting Harrison Ford, I was able to accept alden Ehrenreich as the new Solo immediately and his polished mannerisms didn't hurt, he really pulls off some Solo-specific charm and ticks.

There were a few miniature Canto Bights: Han being chased by the space kracken (kind of cool), the military minute, and especially the "slave revolt". The whole Kessel thing felt a bit tracked on which is unfortunate, as it was purported to be the core of the movie. I was also upset by the cargo mentioned in A New Hope being changed from spice to coaxium. I thought that spice would be interoperable from Kessel and the 12 parsec journey as it was such a fixture in Star Wars lore but...apparently Disney preferred a Mcguffin to a drug-related plot device. Meh. Anyway, the pacing was a little wonky but not horrific.

I suppose that's enough for now, just know that the movie was better than I thought it would be.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
Solo: A Star Wars Story - 74/100

Much better than I was expecting. I'm entirely biased regarding the Disney Star Wars movies as I've been a fan since before birth. As such, my main complaint with the mainline Disney Star Wars movies has been the Marvelfication of the series. This encompasses things like casting choices, filming techniques, editing shenanigans, pacing, type-cast directors, and especially the forced humor.

Both The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi suffered greatly from Marvelfication as did Rogue One to a lesser degree. Solo, on the other hand, seems to have taken several steps away from the ever-deepening Marvel rut. It wasn't able to completely climb out of this box-canyon, but there were several occasions where I was pleasantly surprised at the lack of a cheap joke undercutting an otherwise straight situation.

These moments of near-subtlety were, of course, quickly forgotten in a haze of Disney cash-grabbing, false sincerity, pandering, awkward editing, nostalgia crippling, unnecessary devices, and propaganda aimed at children. As bad as that sounds, however, it simply wasn't as bad as it so easily could have been. One moment of subtlety that I really appreciated was a penultimate moment when Han blatantly shot first but nothing was said about it, no joke undercut it. For a franchise that now entirely embraces subverting expectations for the sake of subverting expectations, this movie subverted my expectations that this would feel like a Marvel movie.

The tone shifted abruptly at times but it didn't draw me out of the movie too often at first viewing. There seemed to be a battle (as opposed to a harmony) between the feeling of a buddy comedy and a western, each of which had their moments but didn't mesh very well. That, and the cadence of a racing movie was present at the beginning of the movie but never returned.

The score was fitting for the movie and entirely unremarkable. Imagine something like the soundtrack for The Shawshank Redemption: taking nothing away from the movie, but you're a weirdo if you track down the OST and blast it in a Wal-Mart parking lot.

I was annoyed by a very specific scene that I already pointed out in the thread about Solo so I won't go over it in detail here. Be aware though that the poor treatment of Chewbacca I mentioned in that post about that single scene from the TV spot was really the only poor treatment of Chewie I noticed in the movie, it was mostly very positive. Except the eating people. Honor is priority #1 for wookies and I don't think Chewbacca would ever eat a sapient being.

Qi' Ra showing up on Voss' ship as soon as Han got there was cringe inducing. I thought for over a minute that it was going to be a figment of Han's imagination but nope, she actually just happened to be there. Of the 50 million inhabited star systems, many with multiple inhabited planets, each planet containing possibly billions of sapient beings, she just happens to show up on this obscure planet in the exact same place and time as Han. I know "the Force" but it took me way, way out of the movie for a while. That and Maul, but...meh, I didn't hate that.

L3. She's going to get a lot of hate. A lot of people were already peeved that Kasdan Jr. decided to use his position in the movie as a soap box for promoting his sexuality but this droid is a joke. I like the design for the most part and she had a few lines that didn't feel contrived but elsewise, the droid was the embodiment of so much of what is wrong with what is being forced on Star Wars under Disney. There's almost no hint of the pansexuality claimed of Lando so that ended up being entirely the hubris of a creator imposed on the world of another without adding anything to the source material.

L3, therefore, ends up being Kasdan Jr. himself, imposing themselves on the rest of the world. Pushing pansexuality on a character established over the course of 30 years, wedging civil rights into the gap between the audience and the fantasy, projecting feminism in a shameful and tasteless manner. L3 is, unfortunately, a disservice to the film, a ham-fisted attempt to cram as much SJW propaganda as possible down the throats of the audience. This thing made me embarrassed as a fan.

Lando, on the other hand, was great. Not used to his full potential, but not ruined as a character by any means. Aaaand, that's really all I have to say about him, I hope there's another Han Solo movie and that he's Lando in it.

Loved Woody Harrelson back in the day but I actually would have preferred a different actor for the part. He's never a bad performer but he is always himself and I would have preferred a character actor to a personality act. I didn't hate him but his acting was obviously phoned in.

Alden Ehrenreich is not Harrison Ford. "Thanks for the update, Captain Obvious!" But seriously, we all knew that going in. As I wasn't expecting Harrison Ford, I was able to accept alden Ehrenreich as the new Solo immediately and his polished mannerisms didn't hurt, he really pulls off some Solo-specific charm and ticks.

There were a few miniature Canto Bights: Han being chased by the space kracken (kind of cool), the military minute, and especially the "slave revolt". The whole Kessel thing felt a bit tracked on which is unfortunate, as it was purported to be the core of the movie. I was also upset by the cargo mentioned in A New Hope being changed from spice to coaxium. I thought that spice would be interoperable from Kessel and the 12 parsec journey as it was such a fixture in Star Wars lore but...apparently Disney preferred a Mcguffin to a drug-related plot device. Meh. Anyway, the pacing was a little wonky but not horrific.

I suppose that's enough for now, just know that the movie was better than I thought it would be.
Also, to add to the list of Marvelisms, Han's assertion that there were thirty hired guns on the Falcon felt very forced, entirely face-palmy. I think Stan Lee himself must have written that trash fire of an idea.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Solo: A Star Wars Story 8/10

I did like this film alot unlike the bore fest of Rogue One. It was funny, had a great cast and I was rooting for Han all the way. My criticisms were that I found that Lando's robot was slightly annoying and the soundtrack was forgettable. HoweverHow was overall a good addition to the series.

Also...Darth Maul is back! I squeed when I saw him! I thought of him as soon as I heard his voice when all I could see was a hooded figure, and it turns out it is the same voice actor he has from the animated series. I really hope to see him in action for the sequel

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
Solo: A Star Wars Story 8/10

I did like this film alot unlike the bore fest of Rogue One. It was funny, had a great cast and I was rooting for Han all the way. My criticisms were that I found that Lando's robot was slightly annoying and the soundtrack was forgettable. HoweverHow was overall a good addition to the series.

Also...Darth Maul is back! I squeed when I saw him! I thought of him as soon as I heard his voice when all I could see was a hooded figure, and it turns out it is the same voice actor he has from the animated series. I really hope to see him in action for the sequel

Doubt Maul will be back for the second one, at least not as a main plot point. Han tells us in A New Hope that he's never seen anything to cause him to believe that there's some all powerful Force controlling everything.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Doubt Maul will be back for the second one, at least not as a main plot point. Han tells us in A New Hope that he's never seen anything to cause him to believe that there's some all powerful Force controlling everything.

Would you make that assumption that an all powerful force controls everything from seeing one sith/jedi? Probably not.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
Would you make that assumption that an all powerful force controls everything from seeing one sith/jedi? Probably not.
Would you not say that Han's monologue in The Force Awakens implies that Han has never seen an adequate display of the Force to prompt a belief in the Force? Or that his quip about hokey religions indicated that he'd never seen the Force used at all? Or that his line in A New Hope, "Who uses one of those things anymore?" regarding lightsaber means that he hasn't seen one in at least many years if ever?

I think these are likely reasons why Han narrowly missed seeing Maul in Solo.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
300 - 8.5/10
Leonidas is a more down-to-earth version of Kratos. It was great to see the Spartan lifestyle fleshed out as it's never really covered in media. The action and set-pieces were immensely satisfying, additionally, although some of it was rushed through or drawn out in waves and waves of enemies.

Gladiator -10/10
I went into this film expecting more of the over-the-top violence from 300, but was left with an emotional impression instead. In comparison, Gladiator shared some of the same themes, such as betrayal, seduction, and double-dealing in the Senate, but it was more moderate overall (unlike the other's gratuitous nudity--not a fan). Maximus was a compassionate father figure turned merciful killing machine who remains true to his personal adage despite rigorous hardship: "Glory and honor to Rome." A man for the people, by the people, to the very end.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies - 7/10

Not my favorite film out the Hobbit Trilogy, and honestly I liked the Lord of the Rings Trilogy better than the Hobbit. It's a decent action/adventure film though. Action from the get go, it starts where the previous film left off. But as with the whole Hobbit trilogy, the movies felt rushed.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Chuck Norris vs. Communism 10/10 Netflix

Sounds like some cheesy 80s revival action flick, don't it? It's actually a poignant documentary about the illicit smuggling importation and distribution of western media in Romania under the brutal communist dictatorship of Ceausescu and has nothing to do with Chuck Norris. By many accounts, this is similar to what's going on in North Korea at this very moment - which also, unfortunately, has nothing to do with Chuck Norris.

Thanks primarily to the efforts of Teodor Zamfir and translator Ilina Nistor some 3000 movies produced in the west were smuggled into Romania on VHS, dubbed, and distributed through the black market to homes and living rooms throughout the country, where only one state sanctioned channel aired for only a few hours on television every day and showed mostly an endless barrage of communist propaganda and a few select movies that were heavily censored by the state's censorship board. The documentary interviews Romanian citizens who explain the profound effect these movies had on them personally, the Romanian populace and the part it played in the eventual overthrow of the communist regime in 1989.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
The Warriors: a movie about a few members of a gang trying to survive being hunted by other gangs.

Not great, especially because kf the very poor acting.

6.6/10

The Ritual- 7/10

The acting was really good and I liked how the director made use of Swedish scenery and Scandinavian mythology to give it that creepy atmosphere.

However, the story itself was a pretty generic horror storyline. I felt more could have been done with Luke’s survivor’s guilt at not being able to save his friend and it was never fully explained why the monster did not want to kill Luke at first.

Prisoners (2013) - A man's daughter is abducted and he tries to find her.

I didn't want to say too much about these because I didn't want to spoil any major plot elements, but each one has a strong psychological aspect to it and would be well worth your time. 9/10

Ninja

Well well well
Jurassic Park Fallen Kingdom - 3/10. Couple of nice action scenes but the movie felt so rushed, out of place, and the ending was horrible, which will set up a planet of the apes type sequel.

Darkest Hour - truely excellent display from Gary Oldman, stunning in fact. Very powerful messages of desperation coupled with fear of pending doom. Thoroughly enjoyed all of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom