• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Rate the Last Movie That You Watched

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Okja- 9/10

A heartwarming tale of a Korean girl trying to save her genetically modified pig.

It is a Netflix original film so if you have Netflix then definitely check it out.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Atomic Blonde
... holy @#$% wtf did I just see?

That just may have been the most balls rocking action flick. period. Superior to John Wick even and maybe- MAYBE a contender to Fury Road.

How does one even rate such a thing? 11/10? is that even fair? wow.

Ninja

Well well well
Annabelle: The Creation

While it was a decent movie, it really didn't feel like much of an addition to the story. It's one of those movies where most of the time you are thinking, "oh ****, it's night time again". The scares are pretty predictable.

But when that sister nun lady took off her outfit, let her hair down, and started throwing down with the demon, that made the movie.

6.5/10. High points for hot nun lady.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Death Note- 5.5/10

I feel it would have made a better series than it would a film. The short length did not provide adequate time to develop characters and relationships. I figured that would be the case anyway but it would have been nice to have been proved wrong.

I knew live action Death Note would not be, nor was it trying to be a faithful adaption to the Anime so I won't judge it simply for departing. Though I must say the main characters in the Anime were generally more likeable than those in the film. Changing things up is fine but making them worse... Thats not cool. That said, I enjoyed L in particular from the live action version.

The movie seemed confused as to what genre it was. Rather than seamlessly blending them together it felt like the movie was trying to be both a serious thriller and a B movie horror slasher. It was kind of unintentionally comical because of it. But was neither as scary nor exciting as it should have been.

I don't think the film had a memorable soundtrack at all. It was never going to beat the Anime and its epic choral chants but I still think it should have done better in the music department.

Lily

Mischievous Minx
Power Rangers (2017) - 3/10

While growing up with the original Power Rangers, you tend to grow attached to the characters and the show as a whole. I watched this hoping for something similar and was treated to the Power Rangers in this day and age which was horribly disappointing...

I knew it was going to be more modern as obviously 15+ years have passed. But the way they all met was so awkward and forced. Not to mention the final fight was with a giant unidentifiable abomination that they named after one of the original monsters (they looked nothing alike). I felt robbed and cheated after that, would not recommend. :eek:

Mido

Version 1
Wind River: A-

I saw this with my grandparents, and I was certainly happy I did so. The story follows the mysterious circumstances of a Native American teenage girl's disappearance and death and the effect it has on the officers investigating and the denizens of the reservation where the story unfolds. The mystery progresses nicely, but is a somewhat standard, yet unfortunate series of circumstances. Still, in hindsight, it never seemed the mystery was the true focus of the film although it drove the plot along. The reaction that the characters had to the unfolding mystery was the true crux of the movie; and in light of this, the performances were very strong in carrying out this objective. I found myself gripped by sadness throughout the movie, but accepting of the way things were in that situation. It was certainly a thought-provoker.

Death Note (2017): C

I had mixed expectations going into the movie, and I think I'm still about at that point. I have to give the movie credit for being able to condense events as they did, and it worked okay. The performances were overall solid as well, and L in particular exceeded my expectations for the most part. I think where this movie can prove divisive are through the directions it took on some of the aspects of the Death Note story. Overall, it's not an outright bad movie, but it is certainly flawed at points to send discussion in that direction.

Power Rangers (2017) - 3/10

While growing up with the original Power Rangers, you tend to grow attached to the characters and the show as a whole. I watched this hoping for something similar and was treated to the Power Rangers in this day and age which was horribly disappointing...

I knew it was going to be more modern as obviously 15+ years have passed. But the way they all met was so awkward and forced. Not to mention the final fight was with a giant unidentifiable abomination that they named after one of the original monsters (they looked nothing alike). I felt robbed and cheated after that, would not recommend. :eek:

I was dumb-struck with how much Krispy Kreme advertising they managed to crowbar in. To the point where there was a damn advert in the middle of an action scene (Rita eating while what was apparantly Megazord was throwing down with not-Goldar). It was horrible.

-----

Curse of The Golden Flower 9-10

The most restrained of the Hero/House of Flying Daggers modern wuxia films by the same director. This one isn't liked by many because its more character and story based than OTT wire work stunts. I'm way more interested in story than spectacle in films and this film has a great mix of both and i can really sink into it. Plus extra points for the incredible Gong Li.

One of my all time favourite films.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
I watched "Bridge of Spies", a Tom Hanks movie about 1950's America, where spies are everywhere, and Tom Hanks has to negotiate a trade to get 2 Americans back from other countries that captured them.

Great movie 9.4/10

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
IT - 8.5/10
It was a very well acted horror film with an emotional story which is rare to find. I wasn't particularly scared by the film like was with Insidious but there were some creepy moments. I'll definitely be going to part II.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Saw It Saturday night and I thought it was pretty good. I still prefer Tim Curry's take on Pennywise, but Skarsgard is definitely given tons more room and opportunity to do some really great things which I really appreciated. The overall film is a lot darker and gruesome than the 1990's mini-series, though not quite on the book's level either. It's as a faithful of a representation of the novel as the mini-series was, but in many ways, isn't a direct copy of it either. The child actors were really great and believable in their roles and all had great chemistry. It's not as scary as people have been hyping it to be. The scary parts are more cool and well done more than anything. My only gripes with the film is the questionable CGI in specific scenes and the pacing. Though, the pacing only bothers me due to my knowledge of the mini-series and the novel. There were some things that felt rushed and other things they just didn't touch up on. Not essential stuff to the overall narrative but still kind of irked me. Otherwise, I thought it was a very solid and unique horror film.

9/10

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Beautiful Creatures 9/10

Hey! Look! Listen! It's a teenage supernatural romance melodrama that actually isn't a load of pretentious superficial wash!

This movie is really really good. I think I might have actually felt.... what was that? Genuine emotion while watching that! Hello feels. It's been so long.

The acting's really good, to say the least. Jeremy Irons simply has to be epic level awesomeness. And Emma Thomson absolutely refuses to be upstaged. The result is pure swank.

I bloody despise romances, because the writer has to make it work. And more than than has to make it more about the romance itself. Beautiful Creatures doesn't stray from the "discovering yourself" and "who am I and what is my place in this crazy world?" motif that is part and parcel to the teen movie, and the themes and messages the story imparts are relevant to any day and age, especially our own - and one that kids desperately need to hear this day more than any other.

The plot and characters successfully manage to avoid tired cliches common to today's standard narratives to make for some truly interesting and compelling characters.

A few vague plot contrivances that leads to some unfortunate confusion drag the narrative down, but it's the themes and characters and the romantic plight of the protagonists that are essential and all of that is left intact. But that only gives me more incentive to want to read the book.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom