• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Rate the Last Movie That You Watched

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
I had almost nothing to do today so I thought I'd watch a few movies back-to-back.

Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki (Wolf Children)

I have now seen this movie four times in the last couple of weeks, the most recent being earlier this afternoon, and I love this movie so very much. It is every bit as good as The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and then some. The story is heartfelt, filled with emotion and the characters themselves are so grounded in reality, despite them having the ability to transform into wolves. The theme of being human is also very prevalent in this movie and it is balanced really nicely in the way it's presented to the audience. However, I wish the movie had taken a little bit more time with the epilogue style ending after the main conflict was resolved.

The animation itself is very smooth and the visuals are striking. The art style that was chosen for the characters also helps add to the uniqueness of this movie.

The soundtrack is beautifully composed and I love the main theme song--おかあさんの歌 by アン・サリー (Mother's Song by Ann Sally)--which perfectly encapsulates the entire theme of the movie in song. (duh)

Overall, this movie has quickly climbed into my top 20 list and gets a near perfect 9/10.

Mary Poppins

Mary Poppins is one of my favourite Disney characters. I remember first seeing this movie back when I was in preschool and my parents bought me the VHS release for my birthday. Ever since then, I have loved this movie and all these years later, it hasn't lost its charm.

Julie Andrews is practically perfect in every way as Mary Poppins. I love her voice when she sings and the curt attitude with which she portrays Mary. Dick Van ****, who plays Bert, is the perfect, whimsical counterpart to balance out Mary Poppins' strictness.

The story itself is rather simple and yet, is still one that holds relevance today, such as the relationship that a child has with their parents.

This movie is also a musical and musicals happen to be one of my favourite genres. The soundtrack to Mary Poppins is quite catchy and some of the songs, such as "Feed The Birds" (my personal favourite), carry a slightly darker tone in lyric and melody.

Admittedly the special effects are now rather dated, but this did not detract from my overall enjoyment of this movie as a whole, which I rate a very respectable 8/10.

Saving Mr. Banks

As the world now knows, I am a huge fan of Mary Poppins, so a movie that highlights not only the process of developing the movie, but showing the origins of some of the key scenes in Mary Poppins is something that I was extremely excited to see.

Emma Thompson was brilliant as P.L. Travers, the author of the novels that the film was based on. With a combination of flashbacks and scenes set in the present, I found that this movie was able to seamlessly transition between the past and present without leaving me feeling confused or lost with either plot.

There's not much else that I think can be said about this biopic, but I did enjoy it. I don't think this is one of those movies with that 'rewatchabilty' factor unlike Finding Neverland, for example.

Overall, I did enjoy this movie and think that anyone who's a fan of Mary Poppins should check it out. I give this movie a 7.5/10

Stitch

AKA Patrick
Print the Legend

It's a pretty interesting documentary about the 3D printing industry. It shows the ups and downs of two of the small companies who were behind bringing 3D printing into the home.

8/10

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
The Croods

I did not like this movie as much as I thought I would. It wasn't a bad movie but it wasn't a great one either. I found the soundtrack to be a bit lackluster and almost out of place at times, the jokes were alright (which is to be expected of a family film) and the animation was good. The characterisation by the voice actors was probably what I enjoyed the most about this movie.

Overall: 6/10.

Doc

BoDoc Horseman
Carrie(2013)

It was good, but nothing can beat the original. The casting was very strong, and it stayed true to the original unlike the first remake.

7/10

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
((After doing some back reading of this thread, I decided to fix this post up due to broken BB Code. And as it's one of my longest, I want it to look presentable.))

Finding myself with way too much time recently, I watched four movies today.

Lilo & Stitch

Ohana means family. Family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten.

I saw this movie many years ago when it came out at the cinema and instantly fell in love with this movie. In particular, I fell in love with Stitch. After deciding to rewatch this movie all these years later, I was worried that I had been wearing my nostalgia coloured glasses all these years and would end up hating it. However, I was wrong. There is so much right with this movie that I can't even begin to put my thoughts about it into a coherent form in order for it to make sense to others. Even after twelve years, it's still a Disney masterpiece.

The animation is very distinctive and as usual the characters and their design are unique and instantly recognisable to me whenever I see them. The soundtrack is a wonderful homage to Elvis mixed with songs in Hawaiian, which is a very nice change of pace for an animated film. The voice acting and characterisation by the actors really helps set the mood for this movie as they did a magnificent job.

The story itself is something I could wax lyrical about until my dying breath. It's so touching and the characters themselves hit really close to home. For a family movie, the realism portrayed through these characters is astoundingly poignant. Every part of this movie that was intended to be emotional works on so many different levels for me and I find that I have a newfound appreciation for this movie's level of adult embedded content.

The relationship shared between Lilo and Nani is wonderful and the scenes where it's just the two of them comforting one another are so sweet.

Though Lilo is probably supposed to be the connector character, Stitch is the character with whom I identify the most and is my bridge into the movie. Everything that Stitch goes through is heart-rending. His awkwardness, feelings of isolation and his strong desire to be loved and accepted by someone is something I can strongly relate to. More so now than I was ever able to as a child.

Stitch said:
L… Lo… Lost… I'm lost…

It is this strong emotional connection I feel towards Stitch and his situation that adds to my enjoyment of this movie.

Overall, I have no complaints about this movie whatsoever. 10/10.

Lilo & Stitch 2: Stitch Has a Glitch

As far as movies go, this one is not bad. However, it barely lives up to the legacy and impression left by the first film in the series.

As far as the animation and voice acting go, they were pretty much on par with the first film but the soundtrack had too many repeat tracks from the first film for it to stand out at all.

Whoever it was that wrote the script for this film seems to have failed in their understanding of the basic tenets of what "Ohana" meant. What made the first movie as great as it was, was that everything was centred around the main idea of Ohana, which was noticeably absent.

Lilo's personality in this film seemed to be completely different to how she was portrayed in the previous film and Nani was left by the wayside, relegated to be nothing more than part of the comedic relief, despite her being such an integral character in the original film. These were changes that I did not like. The sad scenes also felt a bit contrived, unlike in the first film where they are seamlessly integrated and for me, a lot of the comedic scenes fell flat.

Prefaced in the opening, the thing Stitch fears the most is hurting the ones he loves. His internal nature vs. nurture conflict of wanting to be good but having his evil side becoming more and more dominant against his will was the only storyline I really liked in this film.

The film is a solid entry into the franchise but fails to elicit the same emotional response in me that the first one did. For those reasons, this movie gets an average 5/10.

Leroy & Stitch

After learning that there were more movies in this franchise than I was aware of, I was ecstatic to learn that I wouldn't have to wait too long to see this one.

Picking up where the TV series left off, this film is a much better sequel than the previous one. Whilst there was a central theme around which this movie was based, the theme of aloha didn't have quite the same impact as ohana but it definitely worked.

Having the history of the characters from the TV series as background reference also worked in this movie's favour. The characters were well rounded and their personalities consistent. It was also great to see Nani no longer the butt end of a joke, though her role was still too much of an archetype for my liking. Her relationship with Lilo still didn't feel right.

It was also great to see 625 part of the main team and Stitch going up against Leroy is definitely the highlight of this movie.

This film was a decent ending to a great franchise.

Stitch said:
Stitch has found one place he truly belongs: on Earth, with Lilo.

I give it a solid 7/10.

The Woman In Black

Psychological horror is my favourite kind of horror and this Gothic horror movie had it in spades.

This movie makes incredible use of its score and does not feel the need to fill every spare second of the film with dialogue which helps to create the atmosphere and tone of the movie.

The story itself is incredible. Despite the low age rating, it did not disappoint in its content whatsoever. Daniel Radcliffe was also superb as the main character and I think he has successfully made the transition from child star to adult actor. I also give him props for not making me think of Harry Potter in any way shape or form which is a credit to his acting skill.

This movie also had a very interesting plot twist to it so if you can, avoid all spoilers as much as possible before you watch this movie.

Overall, I rate this movie 9/10 and I look forward to reading the book that it's based on in the very near future.

Last edited:

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Oh a lot....
Guardians of the Galaxy. Maybe I'm not really a comics fan so I'm less hyped than others. I thought it was okay. The music parts were funny and the effects were cool. I loved the bond between the main characters. Fun movie but I wasn't smitten with it as some people were. I'm giving it 7/10.

On stranger tides (PotC). Finally a movie which was less messed up like the previous two (no not previous three because the first one was not messed up). I like the chemistry between Barbossa and Sparrow. I didn't like Penelope Cruz in it. Movie was okay so 7/10.

Solomon Kane. I liked that movie. I liked the plot behind it but I had the feeling they could have done something more to the main villain. Still a good movie. So 9/10.

Event Horizon. I thought it was just a sci-fi movie but then it turned out to be a thriller/horror. (not really horror to me though). It was a great movie. The ending was twisted and sick. So yeah I liked this one. 9/10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom