• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Rate the Last Movie That You Watched

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
Days of Thunder: 8/10
This is the NASCAR movie. I finally got a chance to see it last night, and it lived up to the hype. The dynamic between Cole Trickle (Tom Cruise) and one of the other characters was very well done, but I don't wanna spoil. There was a useless, inappropriate romance subplot, but that's just typical Tom Cruise.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Sputnik 8/10. Russian SF movie and not bad at all. The main actress played very well. The story itself was a bit of a mixture between Alien and Life but not with an alien on the loose hunting people. It was different. That made it a cool movie in my books.

Doctor Strange 9/10. I never thought I would enjoy it as much as I did. Finally I made time and watched this movie and it was a good one! Cumberbatch nailed it and Mads Mikkelsen is always a good actor no matter what role he plays. Same with Tilda :D

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Soul

This movie was very intriguing to me because it is actually extremely personal in a way; I have something of a dream to perform for a living, primarily in the jazz scene, but I'm studying to be a music teacher and will likely end up going down that road instead. So it is essentially my life story. A lot of things in the movie were highly relatable which enhanced my enjoyment of it.

In typical Pixar fashion, it teaches some important messages and for the most part this one was pretty good (a cliche "dreams can always come true" story). I have one really big problem with it though.
After Joe lives his dream and performs with a professional and highly regarded jazz musician, he decides that life isn't for him. He doesn't want performing to feel like a job. It kind of felt like a 180 in a way, and I don't particularly like that part of the film's message. Essentially, it tells kids to follow their dreams until they get tired of them, which is very discouraging, especially for someone like me who shares the same dream as him.
That aside, I can appreciate the cultural significance of this film, being the first in Pixar's catalogue to feature a black protagonist, and I especially like how the film respects the African American roots of jazz music. The voice acting, as is typical, is great, and the soundtrack is solid.

Overall, I enjoyed the film. Part of its message really didn't sit right with me, but the film was culturally significant and the way it is being a jazz performer is highly accurately portrayed. It depicts a story that unfortunately a lot of people can relate to (there's a massive stigma within the music scene regarding failed musicians turned music teacher) and does so quite accurately.

Far from my favourite Pixar film, but certainly one that I mostly really appreciated and definitely had a good time watching.

8/10

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
Justice League: The Snyder Cut - 9/10

The original 2017 Justice League was a disappointing mishmash of reshoots and jumbled plot points that resulted in a flop at the box office. This was partly due to the primary director, Zack Snyder, having to step down due to a family tragedy, and Joss Whedon unfortunately took his place. The end result speaks for itself, in which Whedon tried to Avengers-ify the serious tone into a team up comedy, and it backfired.

Years later, fans had still been clamoring for the official cut until it was unveiled to be in production last year. Snyder returned to deliver on his vision of what an MCU Justice League movie would be like for the DC universe. Several ideas initially cut from the film were brought back into the limelight, such as setting up Darkseid to be a primary antagonist and the revelation that Martian Manhunter had been observing the heroes the whole time. The overall tone is still dark with some lighter, character-driven moments interspersed throughout the 4-hour session.

Plot-wise, there is absolutely nothing original nor revolutionary in JL's execution, but if you're a fan of DC animation, then this is a must-watch. Just be sure to take a break or two between the lengthy sittings.

Mikey the Moblin

sushi is a suspicious hello
After Joe lives his dream and performs with a professional and highly regarded jazz musician, he decides that life isn't for him. He doesn't want performing to feel like a job. It kind of felt like a 180 in a way, and I don't particularly like that part of the film's message. Essentially, it tells kids to follow their dreams until they get tired of them, which is very discouraging, especially for someone like me who shares the same dream as him.
you totally misunderstood that scene

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
No escape room. I rate it a 7 out of 10. To be honest, this wasn't a bad movie at all. The concept of escape room movies isn't unknown. Dad goes with his teen daughter to an escape room. They meet some other people and the game starts. But unlike many other b movies the teen isn't that annoying. And I liked the twist this movie took near the end. Was it the best movie ever? Hell no, not even close but it was far from worse. I enjoyed it

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
No escape room. I rate it a 7 out of 10. To be honest, this wasn't a bad movie at all. The concept of escape room movies isn't unknown. Dad goes with his teen daughter to an escape room. They meet some other people and the game starts. But unlike many other b movies the teen isn't that annoying. And I liked the twist this movie took near the end. Was it the best movie ever? Hell no, not even close but it was far from worse. I enjoyed it
I'm vaguely interested.

Zack Snyder's Justice League-9.5/10 or a light 10/10

One of the best superhero films I've ever seen. Makes the original cut look even more absurd. Give it a chance if you haven't.

Ronin

Forum Volunteer
Godzilla vs. Kong - 4/10

Braindead human characters mixed with unintelligent writing makes this a deplorable viewing experience. The final fight against one of the cooler Godzilla-verse monsters was cut short by human interference with one of the worst logical pulls ever. Don't bother watching this in theaters unless you want to turn your brain off (after its theatrical release, of course).

Godzilla vs. Kong - 4/10

Braindead human characters mixed with unintelligent writing makes this a deplorable viewing experience. The final fight against one of the cooler Godzilla-verse monsters was cut short by human interference with one of the worst logical pulls ever. Don't bother watching this in theaters unless you want to turn your brain off (after its theatrical release, of course).

I feel like movies like this should just cut out humans entirely. People are included to have some shallow emotional connection to the film, but it would be a lot more enjoyable to just see two giant monsters beating the **** out of each other without any interference.

Ronin

Forum Volunteer
I feel like movies like this should just cut out humans entirely. People are included to have some shallow emotional connection to the film, but it would be a lot more enjoyable to just see two giant monsters beating the **** out of each other without any interference.
Nah, that's too expensive and Hollywood would rather do the safest thing possible anyhow.

Ronin

Forum Volunteer
Who Framed Roger Rabbit? - 9/10

This is one of those films I'd always been curious about. I'd seen references from it all over the place, namely from AVGN's review on the terrible video game. But I'd always assumed that the whole "toons in the real world" scenario would translate poorly on screen. Luckily I was wrong as Roger Rabbit serves as a callback to the golden age of cartoons merged with the film noir setting of the '40s. The opening sequence is one of the funniest things I've seen in ages, and Daffy Duck vs. Donald Duck is ingenious:

Also, it's good to know what inspired the unnoticed cartoon Bonkers, which was about a drained policeman who was often beleaguered by the titular character and had to work with him to solve insane hijinks.

Mamono101

生きることは痛みを知ること。
Staff member
La Mala Educación (Bad Education)

This film happens to be my favourite Almodóvar film out of those I’ve seen just because of how messed up the plot of this one gets. It deals with child sexual abuse and addiction wrapped up in a modern film-noir style of a film complete with melodramatic over the top characters and a femme fatale who’s mostly just a femme.

I’ve seen this film many times over the years (pretty sure I’ve actually posted in this thread about it before) and finally acquired a Bluray copy which prompted my most recent rewatch and I think that, for the most part, the film still holds up pretty well. It’s visually appealing and the film’s dark subject matter is only heightened by its dark humour. I love that it never undercuts its drama with needless comedy making for a film that has very little respite from the subject matter and never breaks my immersion.

Very happy with the Bluray transfer as well. Image is sharp and colours are saturated in a Tim Burton stylised manner which I can appreciate better in full HD.

Overall, still an 8/10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom